• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Principal says students shouldn’t wear leggings unless they are a size 2 or smaller

Volimar

How do y'all feel about wearing leggings to school in general?

I'm personally of the belief that non-gender-specific uniforms are the best way to go because kids shit all over each other for what they wear, especially if they are poor.

I think the poor argument is just a band aid really. It doesn't solve anything. People still see where your bus drops you off, they still see that you don't have money for school events, and some uniforms can be fairly expensive for poor folks.

Otnopolit

All these southern teachers with awful professionalism finally get put on blast thanks to the internet, and it's been a study, hasn't it?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
"I've told you this before..."

So you have said this idiotic statement more than once? Good lord.

TissueBox

In US public school, a uniform is a strict clothing guideline or standard.

It enforces kids to wear a select color, style, and fit within a specific guideline. All clothes are provided by the child and their parents.

Okay I see.. so it's different from private institutions that way. More or less the same thing though. There is a distinct feeling I'd imagine comes from having a specific uniform for a school -- I admit I never was a fan of the idea but you can't help but wonder at the little things that would change, socially. As others have mentioned, school in particular makes heads and tails out of your fashion statement in the US.

Kthulhu

Obesity is a greater threat to the west than every terrorist organization combined man, let's not run with excuses.

You can be fat and not be obese. Not to mention that there are lots of people who don't choose to be fat.

Shamming people won't solve the obesity epidemic. It just makes people upset at best and can give them serious body issues at worst.

Kayhan

Why does the principal care if some students look fat?

Some people are fat. I don't think you can really hide that - leggings or no leggings.

TissueBox

I've heard those kind of comments from school staff before when I was enrolled fairly often, abrasiveness and inconsiderate remarks... at the end of the day they were still human but talk about setting an example lol. Then again my school was another misfit central so.

cant look good if you are fat eh

I'm glad that's what you got out of my post. Because clearly that's the biggest issue here.

No, according to modern, capitalist beauty standards, you can't. And we shouldn't force young girls to stick to those standards.

kirblar

We talking about the same type of leggings?
Given that the only reason you'd have guys wearing them (outside of sports/gym) is as underwear when the weather's super cold, it lets you keep a uniform gender neutral standard by mandating shorts/skirts/pants/etc. over them in the classroom.

You can be fat and not be obese. Not to mention that there are lots of people who don't choose to be fat.

Shamming people won't solve the obesity epidemic. It just makes people upset at best and can give them serious body issues at worst.

I think what the principal did is wrong, but only because that approach very rarely produces results. >90% of fat people can be fixed.

I feel like I must be missing something.

This didn't seem like a policy declaration. This seemed like a general piece of fashion advice.

This seems comparable to how wide horizontal stripes make you fat. Wearing pants that a size to small gives you a muffin top and makes you look top heavy.

Like, she stuck her foot in her mouth a bit here, and maybe I'm just numb from all the Trump BS, but this just doesn't hit that high on my outrage meter right now.

Shaming girls into eating disorders is so much better.

I feel like our country is so fucked up when it comes to acknowledging eating habits.

Over eating can be just as bad as under eating, but tell someone they over eat and you're body shaming them. Tell someone they under eat, and now it's about loving them and wanting them to get better.

Zoe

If I was a child and someone told me I look fat because of my clothing size I think it's possible that'd make me feel pretty bad about myself.

Clothing isn't made to be universal. If you have big boobs, some shirts turn into titty curtains. If you have a belly, some dresses make you look pregnant. You either learn this stuff the hard way or by people close to you telling you.

I feel like I must be missing something.

This didn't seem like a policy declaration. This seemed like a general piece of fashion advice.

This seems comparable to how wide horizontal stripes make you fat. Wearing pants that a size to small gives you a muffin top and makes you look top heavy.

Like, she stuck her foot in her mouth a bit here, and maybe I'm just numb from all the Trump BS, but this just doesn't hit that high on my outrage meter right now.

I agree with this perspective too. While it's possible to word it wrong, helping students dress in a way that will earn them respect, not scorn, sounds like a valid thing to teach someone you want to be a functional adult. Pretending every "look" is equal is completely dishonest and not how the adult world works.

Kthulhu

Clothing isn't made to be universal. If you have big boobs, some shirts turn into titty curtains. If you have a belly, some dresses make you look pregnant. You either learn this stuff the hard way or by people close to you telling you.

It's also extremely rude. Let people wear what they want to wear.

I'm personally of the belief that non-gender-specific uniforms are the best way to go because kids shit all over each other for what they wear, especially if they are poor.
if you're poor then buying a separate set of clothes for your kids just to attend school can get pricey

and shit, there are a million other ways kids can find to rag on poor people; their hair, their shoes, their phones, their extracurriculars, their grades, their social media status, etc.

it doesn't just stop at uniforms

Volimar

I feel like our country is so fucked up when it comes to acknowledging eating habits.

Over eating can be just as bad as under eating, but tell someone they over eat and you're body shaming them. Tell someone they under eat, and now it's about loving them and wanting them to get better.

Except she's not telling them they're overeating. She's telling them they look fat.

I agree with this perspective too. While it's possible to word it wrong, helping students dress in a way that will earn them respect, not scorn, sounds like a valid thing to teach someone you want to be a functional adult. Pretending every "look" is equal is completely dishonest and not how the adult world works.

The adult world?

Anytime I see someone say the "real world", "reality", "adult world" or whatever word that describes that person's version of how the world works, I am reminded that those folks never know much. They're always adults to themselves and use that judgmental attitude to feel better than others because they understand how the world actually works.

Protip: only your job cares how you dress.

The adult world?

Anytime I see someone say the "real world", "reality", "adult world" or whatever word that describes that person's version of how the world works, I am reminded that those folks never know much. They're always adults to themselves and use that judgmental attitude to feel better than others because they understand how the world actually works.

Protip: only your job cares how you dress.

Would you prefer "professional world" or "business world"?

Previous

check out my new Swatch
This reminds me the time my University president sent out an email implying that female fashion trends (read: yoga pants) were partially responsible for influencing the inappropriate behavior of guys during freshmen move-in week.

Glad I left that place.

Top Bottom