• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Principal says students shouldn’t wear leggings unless they are a size 2 or smaller

I don't see why her role shouldn't include fashion advice. High school is not just about academics, it's about creating better people and citizens

Her fashion advice is shit. Size 2 is very much on the smaller end of the scale. Telling girls who are nowhere near overweight that they "look fat" is bound to create body image issues in a whole lot of them, all just because she doesn't personally like the way it looks.

Her fashion advice is shit. Size 2 is very much on the smaller end of the scale. Telling girls who are nowhere near overweight that they "look fat" is bound to create body image issues in a whole lot of them, all just because she doesn't personally like the way it looks.
Ding ding.

Infinite

I don't see why her role shouldn't include fashion advice. High school is not just about academics, it's about creating better people and citizens
Fashion advice has zero to do with creating better, more well adjusted people. I mean, I don't think the advice she actually gave is conducive to that goal. She's essential saying "this looks bad to me so don't do it". There's nothing admirable about that. It serves no one but herself.

rackham

Banned
If overweight girls were wearing leggings that ended up being stretched to their limit and almost became see through, I could totally understand the principals reasoning.

Nipo

Don't push your insecurities onto others.

Of course people judge/make assumptions about you based on what you wear. Admiting it isn't insecure it is the first step in using it to your advantage. Contextual appropriateness is all that really matters most of the time (outside of job interviews, business lunches, client meetings ect).

But everyone should know enough to nott wear a t-shirt and jorts to the Met:O or Per Se and you don't wear overalls and and wool when going to a Hot Yoga class.

Nipo

If overweight girls were wearing leggings that ended up being stretched to their limit and almost became see through, I could totally understand the principals reasoning.

Leggings come in different sizes right? I'd assume as long as you buy the right size they are equally stretchy on a size 00 girl as a size 16.

rackham

Banned
Leggings come in different sizes right? I'd assume as long as you buy the right size they are equally stretchy on a size 00 girl as a size 16.

"overweight" doesn't start as soon as you get past size 2

Call me an asshole or whatever you want but I've never seen leggings that fit right on someone obese. Now I realize that anything past a size 2 isn't obese and the principal was a dumbass for bringing it up at all but I've seen it enough times to know that it's a thing. I'm over weight and don't try to wear medium sized shirts.

I agree that principal is most likely a moron but if she had worded it slightly different, I'd probably be more on her side.

Infinite

Call me an asshole or whatever you want but I've never seen leggings that fit right on someone obese. Now I realize that anything past a size 2 isn't obese and the principal was a dumbass for bringing it up at all but I've seen it enough times to know that it's a thing. I'm over weight and don't try to wear medium sized shirts.

I agree that principal is most likely a moron but if she had worded it slightly different, I'd probably be more on her side.
I know some big girls who think of leggings as a god send since most pants are rather tricky. I mean, you buy shit in your size so it can fit you. I don't see your point here friend.

Also, there seems to be a narrative in here that nobody cares what you wear or how you look, and that's like straight up not true. How you carry yourself has a direct impact on your interactions throughout the day, both small and large.

KillLaCam

Banned
So I always joke about how many Americans are overweight but her implying that anything over size 2 is overweight is pretty insane

I bet the principle is a size 2 and that's why she picked that random number

Edit: it would even make more sense to me if a guy was saying it. Like he'd be a creep, perv or something. But I can't even fathom why she said this.

She's just pointing out that ultra tight clothing can be unflattering. No worse than if she'd said horizontal stripes make you look fat. It's mean to directly call kids fat, but there's no requirement to shield them from sartorial realities.

Who the fuck cares? Girls to school to learn. To become the teachers, researchers, doctors or artists of the future. A principal's job is to protect their students and inspire and help them to reach these goals, not to teach female students how to look more fuckable to men.

How do these people get so far in their careers.

Bureaucracy prevents awful employees from being fired. Decent employees, disgusted with the fact that the awful employees are still around fucking everything up, leave as soon as possible. When promotion time comes around, the fuck-ups fail upward because of seniority or sheer attrition. Being they're a fuck-up, the fuck-up hires incompetently resulting in a fuck-up majority. Repeat until you get people like this lady running the show.

This is gross if this was a dress code sort of situation then that's one thing but this is another thing altogether and only will lead to making vulnerable teens/young adult girls feel even more selfconcious.....

I'm a healthy weight, I'm currently a size 8 and a small in shirts for mostly everything. I could NEVER ever be a size 2 my bone structure completely disallows it. If I were to go and lose weight I could maybe get to a size 6 but then I'd be close to underweight. It saddens me that the principal is a woman and should be a role model for her students but with her saying this it seems the opposite.

Most schools just ban leggings.

Why is he looking at student's legs???
How do you maintain a dress code without eyes?

Fuck you for trying to add shame to an awkward job every teacher has to do, by the way.

Who the fuck cares? Girls to school to learn. To become the teachers, researchers, doctors or artists of the future. A principal's job is to protect their students and inspire and help them to reach these goals, not to teach female students how to look more fuckable to men.
I don't agree with this principal doing what she did, but teaching students about how to present yourself is part of being a teacher. Many of my female colleagues have had talks with female students about their dress style and/or makeup. If no one talks to them they will enter adulthood looking terrible. Social guidance is a huge part of teaching.

So I always joke about how many Americans are overweight but her implying that anything over size 2 is 9 overweight is pretty insane

That's not the implication, though.

She's saying if you are wearing leggings as pants and are above a size 2, you will appear more overweight than you are.

FYI, an American women's size 2 is roughly a 33 inch waist (80.5cm). Give or take depending on brand.

Edit: It's worth noting that even number for womens clothing in america is aimed for adult women. Juniors (or Teens) have sizes in with odd numbers.

So while a size 2 is a 33 inch waist. A size 3 is a 26 inch waist. In fact, you have to go all the way up to a size 17 in juniors to reach a 33 inch waist.

This makes it sound like a size 2 is super fucking tiny, but it's really just average.

KillLaCam

Banned

She's saying if you are wearing leggings as pants and are above a size 2, you will appear more overweight than you are.

FYI, an American women's size 2 is roughly a 33 inch waist (80.5cm). Give or take depending on brand.
Yeah US women sizes confuse me. I was thinking that size 2 was petite or something like that

Ohhhh isn't that kinda true though? Just like how wearing bigger clothes would make a skinny person look even smaller?

Yeah women sizes confuse me. I was thinking that size 2 was petite or something like that

Ohhhh isn't that kinda true though? Just like how wearing bigger clothes would make a skinny person look even smaller?

This thread is full of knee jerk reactions and anti-shaming posts, so who even knows at this point.

I don't agree with this principal doing what she did, but teaching students about how to present yourself is part of being a teacher. Many of my female colleagues have had talks with female students about their dress style and/or makeup. If no one talks to them they will enter adulthood looking terrible. Social guidance is a huge part of teaching.

There's a difference between teaching girls how to look professional and teaching them how to look sexually attractive.

(btw the requirements for looking professional as a woman are fucking ridiculous and often IS advice on how to look young and sexually attractive (makeup, high heels, etc.) but that's another topic for another day)

lenovox1

Edit: It's worth noting that even number for womens clothing in america is aimed for adult women. Juniors (or Teens) have sizes in with odd numbers.

So while a size 2 is a 33 inch waist. As size 3 is a 26 inch waist. In fact, you have to go all the way up to a size 17 in juniors to reach a 33 inch waist.

This makes it sound like a size 2 is super fucking tiny, but it's really just average.

No, a size 2 is a 23 inch waist.

The bust line (the fullest part of the bust) for a size 2 is 33 inches, not the waist line.

Yeah US women sizes confuse me. I was thinking that size 2 was petite or something like that

A size 2 is petite. You are right.

So while a size 2 is a 33 inch waist. A size 3 is a 26 inch waist. In fact, you have to go all the way up to a size 17 in juniors to reach a 33 inch waist.

What the fuck size chart are you looking at? Did you mean a 23 inch waist? Cause that's much closer to what a size 2 is.

tbm24

Weird to require clothes that cover your ass if wearing leggings. My high school banned skirts because they were rolling them higher than they liked. Pants only, ass everywhere(naturally they got the pants fitted), no one failed as a result to my knowledge.

I wish everywhere just did the Cm/Inch thing for clothing sizes. Men sizes are already confusing enough in different countries. Women sizes are in a whole other level of confusion for me haha.

That would require brands/manufacturer's to actually have uniform sizing first and that's a frustrating pipedream at best right now. :p

Zoe

Weird to require clothes that cover your ass if wearing leggings. My high school banned skirts because they were rolling them higher than they liked. Pants only, ass everywhere(naturally they got the pants fitted), no one failed as a result to my knowledge.

It's because people don't know better than to wear leggings that turn see-through when you bend over or to cover up their camel toes.

Mudcrab

giphy.gif

lmao

Why the fuck are leggings allowed period? I remember in high school they were against school dresscode.
From the quoted bit in the OP, they're only allowed if you're wearing them under some other clothing that covers you to mid-thigh. Long tops, dresses, or shorts/skirts I guess. I don't know why the principal is offering her fashion advice if nobody is allowed to wear leggings as pants to school anyway.

tbm24

It's because people don't know better than to wear leggings that turn see-through when you bend over or to cover up their camel toes.

I guess, though if that's the concern, there are many leggings that arent at risk of being see through. I'll concede that regulating that would be an issue. Can't say I see the kind that are at risk to that often.

bman94

From the quoted bit in the OP, they're only allowed if you're wearing them under some other clothing that covers you to mid-thigh. Long tops or shorts/skirts I guess. I don't know why the principal is offering her fashion advice if nobody is allowed to wear leggings as pants to school anyway.

Even situations like that Leggings wasn't allowed (unless it was like 80's spirit day or something or special costume). But anyway, I don't personally think it's appropriate in any way for school.

Because some schools actually allow students to dress how they want, crazy I know.

I know this is sarcasm but it is crazy. Dress codes are instituted for good reasons and just letting students wear whatever or whatever is the current fashion is a recipe for disaster.

FYI, here is the full quote:

"The sad thing is with that, ladies — if someone has not told you this before, I’m going to tell you this now — unless you are a size zero or a 2, and you wear something like that, even though you are not fat, you look fat. They are meant to wear underneath a long shirt that covers your heiny, or a long sweater of some type, or a dress. It is not meant to be your actual pants, and if you have a shirt that comes to here, then you are showing everything. Yes, everything..."

The comment is only slightly better in full. The context provided doesn't excuse the hilariously obtuse levels of fat shaming even though the rest is OK.

lenovox1

I guess, though if that's the concern, there are many leggings that arent at risk of being see through. I'll concede that regulating that would be an issue. Can't say I see the kind that are at risk to that often.

Almost any cheap legging that you can imagine a sixteen years old wearing would be see through.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Almost any cheap legging that you can imagine a sixteen years old wearing would be see through.
If someone's ass or underwear is showing through their leggings, you don't have to stare to see it if you have normal human eye sight.
Sure mate. If you say so.

I mean sometimes I'll see some dude's boxer sticking out of his pants when he's bent over, but you know what I don't do? Keep my eyes there and go "oh hmmmm he should tie his pants tighter/higher", I avert my eyes like a normal polite person and move on.

Top Bottom