• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Principal says students shouldn’t wear leggings unless they are a size 2 or smaller

The adult world?

Anytime I see someone say the "real world", "reality", "adult world" or whatever word that describes that person's version of how the world works, I am reminded that those folks never know much. They're always adults to themselves and use that judgmental attitude to feel better than others because they understand how the world actually works.

Protip: only your job cares how you dress.

Everyone cares. Depending on your culture and environment, only your job might confront you about it.

Would you prefer "professional world" or "business world"?

What world is that? You're literally creating scenarios in your head that don't exist. The "professional" and "business" world do not care because anyone who goes for a job in those conservative clothed fields know not to wear them. Those same jobs aren't going to fire you for wearing leggings while at the store.

Do you honestly believe high school is the jump pad to "professional" and "business" worlds?

You're simply naive.

She's just pointing out that ultra tight clothing can be unflattering. No worse than if she'd said horizontal stripes make you look fat. It's mean to directly call kids fat, but there's no requirement to shield them from sartorial realities.

Apathy

If I were a parent I would very much be pushing to get this guy inspected. Sure hes trying to fat shame kids, but it's also things he shouldn't be thinking about kids

Infinite

She's just pointing out that ultra tight clothing can be unflattering. No worse than if she'd said horizontal stripes make you look fat. It's mean to directly call kids fat, but there's no requirement to shield them from sartorial realities.
It's not her place to say that.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
"Just fashion advice" from an educator, people.
Fireable offense.

Issue is not running in the first place.

This whole culture of not telling people of their unhealthy habits because mean is out of hand.

You think fat people are fat because nobody has told them they were fat?

Can we stop pretending a public health chronic issue is somehow a personal responsability issue?
"Damn 9yos just don't have enough self control" is a horribly mean-spirited, not to mention stupid, position to take.

Pretending society just doesn't have enough pressure to be thin is ridicolous. Especially on young girls.

Everyone cares. Depending on your culture and environment, only your job might confront you about it.

Who cares? The dudebro at the bar who goes, "she should not be wearing those, fat girls in tight clothes are uuuuugly".

A lot of people actually don't care. The insecure care. For some reason they're so insecure anyone around them that doesn't fit into society's version of beauty causes them to be embarrassed.

You need a bit of growing up to do.

What people wear isn't random. It's a conscious choice that tells you a lot about a person.

Does this mean I can assume you like kid's shows and are not part of the adult world? You have an Ash Ketchum avatar where it says "don't bet on Ash" so you clearly follow the show. How can I be sure you're part of the adult world when I don't know any adults who watch the show?

Infinite

It's not her place to offer some advice on how to dress well and present oneself? I don't think that's a huge overreach for an educator.
That's not what you said though. You said she's just telling the kids that x y and z looks bad if you're a b and c. That's a personal thing and she can easily just keep that to herself. It's not her place to dictate to students what they can and can't wear based on her own ideas of what looks good.

Who cares? The dudebro at the bar who goes, "she should not be wearing those, fat girls in tight clothes are uuuuugly".

A lot of people actually don't care. The insecure care. For some reason they're so insecure anyone around them that doesn't fit into society's version of beauty causes them to be embarrassed.

You are coming off as crazy aggressive right now. It's making it hard to tell if you're trying to have a discussion, or if you are just trying to shame everyone who isn't on the same wavelength as you.

Kenstar

If I were a parent I would very much be pushing to get this guy inspected. Sure hes trying to fat shame kids, but it's also things he shouldn't be thinking about kids

'guy'

its a woman principal but sure lets activate paedogeddon i bet he has 100 kids locked in his basement thats why we dont let em sit next to kids on planes

this guy should be launched into space to live in solitary exile, and this time we should make sure no kid accidentally gets sent with him

Zoe

Telling people that they will look fat while wearing leggings under pants is stupid. Let people do what they want. There is zero reason to be telling anyone this

This is referring to wearing leggings as the pants, BTW.

You are coming off as crazy aggressive right now. It's making it hard to tell if you're trying to have a discussion, or if you are just trying to shame everyone who isn't on the same wavelength as you.

What wavelength? The principal is putting down women for wearing clothes that make them happy. It's not offensive clothing either. It's literally pants the principal believes only fit people can wear.

She's 100% in the wrong. Some of y'all need to stop thinking these pants are just for the male gaze cause it's quite telling here.

ZOONAMI

I guess I'm not really that outraged. It actually is fashion advice and she even throws in the qualifier that you aren't fat if your size is more than a 2, it's just an opinion that it doesn't look good. She probably shouldn't be sharing that opinion, but people do share opinions they shouldn't from time to time and I don't think this I'd really that awful. Definitely probably has her foot in her mouth, and she might lose her job over it, and some of the kids may very well be offended. Such is life.

Yeah that would be really shitty wouldn't it... wait a minute.

It's actually baffling that such an asinine comment that's in the OP could ever be presented as good advice or something that needed to be said to anyone, let alone from a principal.

What wavelength? The principal is putting down women for wearing clothes that make them happy. It's not offensive clothing either. It's literally pants the principal believes only fit people can wear.

She's 100% in the wrong. Some of y'all need to stop thinking these pants are just for the male gaze cause it's quite telling here.
This is also operating under the assumption that anyone higher than a size 2 can't be fit or look healthy which is objectively wrong and pretty fucking gross. There is no scenario in which that comment comes across as good.

Yeah... the world isn't all black and white, right or wrong. There are like 40,
maybe even 50
, shades of gray in there.

Context is always super important in situations like this. Honestly, since the recording starts mid sentence, we don't even know what led to this sentence being spoken, or if she attempted to elaborate or follow up in any way.

maybe even 50

Context is always super important in situations like this. Honestly, since the recording starts mid sentence, we don't even know what led to this sentence being spoken, or if she attempted to elaborate or follow up in any way.
Nah she's pretty clearly in the wrong both in and out of context.

That's not what you said though. You said she's just telling the kids that x y and z looks bad if you're a b and c. That's a personal thing and she can easily just keep that to herself. It's not her place to dictate to students what they can and can't wear based on her own ideas of what looks good.

She's not dictating, she's just pointing out that if you're not insanely skinny super-tight clothes accentuate whatever weight you have. This is true. If that's terrible we have to burn every fashion magazine and book right now.

Paracelsus

I don't even know why fat people of any gender would wear something tight anyway. As soon as I'm like, 10 pounds overweight, I immediately rush to tracksuit pants a few sizes bigger than my own.

maybe even 50

The sentence didn't need to be spoken. You're arguing that people should be allowed to call out fat people because it's a good service.

Does this mean I can assume you like kid's shows and are not part of the adult world? You have an Ash Ketchum avatar where it says "don't bet on Ash" so you clearly follow the show. How can I be sure you're part of the adult world when I don't know any adults who watch the show?

Nah bro, i don't believe you. People care what you look like, but in a way that is exponential relative to how well they know, or rather, have to intact with you. It's true i don't really "care" about what random people on the street wear (though i do judge briefly) but anyone i have to interact with i care (judge) more, and so on.

But for you information i dress like shit and do nerd stuff but justify it by being fit. No ones perfect :/

Infinite

She's not dictating, she's just pointing out that if you're not insanely skinny super-tight clothes accentuate whatever weight you have. If that's terrible we have to burn every fashion magazine and book right now.

This isn't a fashion magazine though. This is a principle of a school taking upon herself to give students fashion advice where that has nothing to do with her role.

Also, fuck fashion magazines.

Nah bro, i don't believe you. People care what you look like, but in a way that is exponential relative to how well they know, or rather, have to intact with you. It's true i don't really "care" about what random people on the street wear (though i do judge briefly) but anyone i have to interact with i care (judge) more, and so on.

But for you information i dress like shit and do nerd stuff but justify it by being fit. No ones perfect :/

Don't push your insecurities onto others.

FYI, here is the full quote:

"The sad thing is with that, ladies — if someone has not told you this before, I’m going to tell you this now — unless you are a size zero or a 2, and you wear something like that, even though you are not fat, you look fat. They are meant to wear underneath a long shirt that covers your heiny, or a long sweater of some type, or a dress. It is not meant to be your actual pants, and if you have a shirt that comes to here, then you are showing everything. Yes, everything..."

"The sad thing is with that, ladies — if someone has not told you this before, I’m going to tell you this now — unless you are a size zero or a 2, and you wear something like that, even though you are not fat, you look fat. They are meant to wear underneath a long shirt that covers your heiny, or a long sweater of some type, or a dress. It is not meant to be your actual pants, and if you have a shirt that comes to here, then you are showing everything. Yes, everything..."
"Even if you're not fat you look fat"

She's wrong though?

The full quote doesn't help you.

This isn't a fashion magazine though. This is a principle of a school taking upon herself to give students fashion advice where that has nothing to do with her role.

Also, fuck fashion magazines.

I don't see why her role shouldn't include fashion advice. High school is not just about academics, it's about creating better people and citizens

The sentence didn't need to be spoken. You're arguing that people should be allowed to call out fat people because it's a good service.

I literally see no harm or difference in pointing out to my friends and family if they are under eating or over eating.

Both need to be addressed in moderation, but they need to be addressed. When my 300 pound cousin goes back for thirds at thanksgiving. Ignoring her doing so doesn't help her in any way.

I literally see no harm or difference in pointing out to my friends and family if they are under eating or over eating.

Both need to be addressed in moderation, but they need to be addressed. When my 300 pound cousin goes back for thirds at thanksgiving. Ignoring her doing so doesn't help her in any way.
Your family member is not equal to students.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Issue is not running in the first place.

This whole culture of not telling people of their unhealthy habits because mean is out of hand.

That's why doctors are a thing. Also, that's not the culture. That's a request/appeal to being a decent person. Overwieght people (and even many who are pretty healthy sizes) are told they're fat on a pretty consistent basis. And guess what? It solved nothing. Never has, never will.

I like how a principlal telling perfectly healthy people that they look fat is a stance against obesity and not just making healthy people (children no less) feel shitty about their body.

"The sad thing is with that, ladies — if someone has not told you this before, I'm going to tell you this now — unless you are a size zero or a 2, and you wear something like that, even though you are not fat, you look fat. They are meant to wear underneath a long shirt that covers your heiny, or a long sweater of some type, or a dress. It is not meant to be your actual pants, and if you have a shirt that comes to here, then you are showing everything. Yes, everything..."

It does show that the title is wrong. She's not saying don't wear it, she's saying if you wear it cover your butt.

"The sad thing is with that, ladies — if someone has not told you this before, I'm going to tell you this now — unless you are a size zero or a 2, and you wear something like that, even though you are not fat, you look fat. They are meant to wear underneath a long shirt that covers your heiny, or a long sweater of some type, or a dress. It is not meant to be your actual pants, and if you have a shirt that comes to here, then you are showing everything. Yes, everything..."

"They are meant to wear underneath a long shirt that covers your heiny, or a long sweater of some type, or a dress. It is not meant to be your actual pants, and if you have a shirt that comes to here, then you are showing everything. Yes, everything..."" - "unless you are a size zero or a 2" in which case that doesn't apply, apparently.

It does show that the title is wrong. She's not saying don't wear it, she's saying if you wear it cover your butt.

"unless you are a size zero or a 2"

daveo42

Banned
Was the principal also wearing this at the time she was talking to the students?
hqdefault.jpg

Either way, leggings and yoga pants should be banned in schools as "normal" clothes.

Top Bottom