• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN game sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Cmagus said:
I hardly think Sony said share it with 5 of your friends and put themselves in the position where developers will lose money on their games.Seriously everyone says this someone get me a video or article that says this.

Sony announced that players who download games from PlayStation's online shop can share them on up to five other PS3 machines.

If a player logs into his PlayStation 3 account on a friend's system, he can download any game he has already purchased. "You can send that content to four other friends for that initial investment," said Tretton. "We want to get the game in as many hands as possible."

"It's not about generating profits at each and every interaction with the consumer," he said. "I think that really offsets the argument that says, 'Wow, that's a really pricey system.'"

http://www.wired.com/gaming/gamingreviews/news/2006/10/71982

He's actually incorrect, because you can share with 5.

I think this was initially envisaged as a way to allow the user to transfer DLC rights to a new console if their old one died. Allowing you to go through 6 PS3s, if needs be. A side effect is sharing with friends, but they seem happy about that. But it's hardly the most convenient thing to do - you have to share logins with others. They could have made it easier by allow remote activation of friends' machines, but they don't. So I think they know that a relatively small minority will be engaging in this, but for those that are, they seem happy for it to happen.

Publisher's choice if a game/content is shareable or not, btw..I think. At least some third party content isn't listed as shareable AFAIK.

Lain

OokieSpookie said:
I really hope Sony kills this feature very soon.

I really hope they do not, because if they did, they wouldn't hear the end of the bitching about it, and they have enough bitching directed toward them as is.
Plus the feature rocks (altho I do not use it, since I don't trust anyone enough to give away my account information) cos it makes users feel a bit more like they really do "own" the digital content that they paid for.

EGM92

Question:

My friend in Japan is willing to give me Nucleus or Bacterius or whatever it's called there for free, I don't want to keep his account on my machine after I've downloaded the game, will it still work without the account and the game is activated?

EGM92

Lain said:
I think you're required to keep the account on your machine or anything you downloaded from it won't work. At least based on this thread posted by TTP.

Damn I don't want to keep his account on with his CC info, I might, you know... get a little shopping crazy :D

Is there any way to confirm that I do need to keep it to make it play?

EGM92 said:
Damn I don't want to keep his account on with his CC info, I might, you know... get a little shopping crazy :D

Is there any way to confirm that I do need to keep it to make it play?

1. Control yourself and don't go CC Crazy.
2. Yes, you need to keep the account in order to play.

EGM92

shagg_187 said:
1. Control yourself and don't go CC Crazy.
2. Yes, you need to keep the account in order to play.

If I take off his CC info from the account is it universal that it will also remove it from the account on his machine as well?

llTll

Banned
EGM92 said:
If I take off his CC info from the account is it universal that it will also remove it from the account on his machine as well?

how about earn the trust your friend is giving you and dont **** his CC ???

i mean its good enough he is trying to help you. and in return you think you cant control your self and go shopping with his CC??

c'mon how low can you go?

vercity82

Im after the following;

Rampage
Superstardust HD
Resistance maps
Nucleus
Go Puzzle
Wipeout

Got HK Tekken and RYTPES for trade

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Anyone with Tekken and/or Calling All Cars for trade? I only have Stardust HD. If anyone has those, but doesn't need stardust hd, but is willing to help me out, I promise to hook you up in the future!

commish

Ploid 3.0 said:
Commish I have CAC and want Stardust. PM me.

Done.

Canoli, I will hook you up if I can. From what I understand, we can only share a game 5 times, and between sharing with my RL friends and for the games I want, I'm not sure I have enough shares. But if I do, it's yours.

commish

Canoli, did you even wrote what I typed? :) I said "if I can", meaning I don't know yet ;)

Also, I read this:

It doesn't work that way. Let's say I get a copy of your CAC. If I delete your user account from my PS3 I cannot access calling all cars. So your account must stay on my PS3. Therefore, I always have access to your account. Although I can't change the information or get your CC account (due to a password change) I could spend all your money in your wallet. Not to mention, all I have to do is log into this account and you could not log into yours. Cause you are already logged in. Unlike the other games you are offering, this one is online. And because it is online, only one of us could play it at any given time. Only a few games utilize "Game Sharing". None of these do. The purpose of this little trick is to be able to download the game on a new PS3 without buying it again. But, it must be a PS3 that you own, not your buddies.

Any truth to this? I'm sure the answer is somewhere in this thread...

kage

Sorry to post this in here but it seemed like the most appropriate place....

Has anyone been able to purchase from the Japanese store without using a Japanese credit card?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
kage said:
Sorry to post this in here but it seemed like the most appropriate place....

Has anyone been able to purchase from the Japanese store without using a Japanese credit card?

There's PS Store Tickets available in Japan that JP gaffers have been purchasing for other gaffers.

kage

Killthee said:
There's PS Store Tickets available in Japan that JP gaffers have been purchasing for other gaffers.

K. I was asking because I was able to purchase through a "virtual credit card" site :0
Basically it creates a virtual CC for you that accepts any billing address. You send funds in Euro. It works, I tried it and I got the Samurai Spirits collection for ps1

Edit: Here's the site https://www.wirecard.com/wirecard/app
Try it at your own risk. Also, be aware of exchange rates, the site deals in Euro, so it'll be USD > Euro > Yen.

Oh, and the Samurai Shodown games load as slow as they did on PS1... :<

Lain

commish said:
Also, I read this:

Any truth to this? I'm sure the answer is somewhere in this thread...

That sound quite false to me.
Once the person sharing the game changes the password, he blocks anyone from accessing his PSN account, so no wallet money can be spent.
Also when playing a shared game, you play it under your account, not the one of the person that shared it to you (since they changed their password and as such you can't go online with their PSN account=you can't use it), so how could that block someone else from accessing his own account or playing his game online?
It sounds like alot of misinformation to me. But then again I have never shared any games, I've only read this thread and nothing was said about that.

Christopher

I'll share.

I have Mortal Kombat and Rampage: World Tour.

If I had someone that shared more I'd no doubt buy some more titles as well.

I also have from sharing: WarHawk, and Call All Cars.

commish

Christopher said:
I'll share.

I have Mortal Kombat and Rampage: World Tour.

If I had someone that shared more I'd no doubt buy some more titles as well.

I also have from sharing: WarHawk, and Call All Cars.

you can share warhawk?

Pewp

I have:

MK2
Gaunlet 2
Tekken 2
Medievil

Looking for:

SSD
Calling All Cars
Tekken DR

I am willing to give two for one and whatnot.

tanod

when is my burrito
If you delete the account of the person you downloaded an item through, that game will not work. It will remain on your system in an unusable state until you either delete it or recreate the user account.

You can still PLAY it on any account but the original owner's account has to remain present on the machine. The original owner can change their password so their account is not accessible.

anyone have the following

CAC
super stardust hd
blast factor
rub a dub
go puzzle
flow
tekken dr
gripshift

please pm me to work something out

therapist

Ive got Tekken DR, SSHD and FLOW that im willing to share with anyone who has the resistance map packs ,or sotn.

also , someone who will actually make future purchases.

fyi my next purchase will be the upgrade to tekken online and the motorstorm map whenever it actually comes out .

PM me plz. Thanks.

the chris

If anyone wants Castlevania SOTN(2 downloads available), flow or Q-Bert and is interested in trading, PM me. I am looking for Super Stardust, and Calling all Cars.

karasu said:
damn store isn't accepting credit cards! >_<

I just think it's silly for that to still be the only way to purchase games. It's one of the few huge complaints I have in relation to all things PS3.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think you can trade PS1 games. In the licensing agreement it says you must be logged into the master account.

Apparently it says the same thing for home.

PS360

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I don't think you can trade PS1 games. In the licensing agreement it says you must be logged into the master account.

Home I know you can't share.

PS1 games should work though. The clause in the agreement to which you're referring has to do with transferring the game to PSP.

Maggot9

Banned
Y2Kev said:

you can, but the downfall is just that..you need to log into the original account the content was intended for. good luck finding someone to share with you.

PS360

Banned
Maggot9 said:
you can, but the downfall is just that..you need to log into the original account the content was intended for. good luck finding someone to share with you.

really? that's lame as hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom