• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Go Launch Hype Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuxBobble

RuGalz said:
Yea theoretically it should work but a few routers I have tried in the past in place of your Actiontec router with their stock firmware didn't work either. Stock firmware typically aren't programmed to do complicated stuff. :p You might want to turn off the wireless on Actiontec and place another router for Wifi(G) routing or something, assuming you can't get rid of Actiontec in the setup.

Yea, I believe there are ways to get rid of the Actiontec, but nothing I'm willing to go through, since the Actiontec is the brain of FiOS. It actually networks the cable boxes, the computers--basically everything. You can't really REPLACE it, but there are pain-in-the-ass ways to make it your secondary unit.

For now, I'll just have to leave my network and test it out again. Pretty poor connection within my network right now but it's not in ideal environments.

If things don't improve, I suppose I'll have to set up some QoS rules, but for now, I can at least stream media. I don't know how many games are Remote Play-able anyway right now. I think I only own 2 (PixelJunk Monsters/Eden) and I already have Monsters Deluxe for the PSP now, so that's not even much of a big deal.

A Twisty Fluken said:
Let me guess, you two also lose sleep over the material cost of the Wii, and believe that NSMBwii should be a $10 Wiiware game.

Wii Sports is 310 MB ripped to HDD. Was it a full price game in Japan?

No, I just think that smaller niche games could reach a wider audience and make more money long term by pricing it at a more aggressive price point.

Does anyone think that Katamari Damacy would have been a hit at $40?

TuxBobble

outunderthestars said:
No, I just think that smaller niche games could reach a wider audience and make more money long term by pricing it at a more aggressive price point.

Yea I'm with you, personally. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for HMH, or Katamari, for that matter, lol.

Though, HMH I probably would only get for $10 because I'm not too fond of it as is, hahaha...

DCharlie

Banned
regarding licensing issues (especially for music) surely the fact that the GTA games made it up should be hope for most other games??

RuGalz

WhiteAce said:
regarding licensing issues (especially for music) surely the fact that the GTA games made it up should be hope for most other games??

Q is a small company getting their games published by other publishers. It's a bit more difficult. But they said they are looking into it so keep fingers crossed~

A Twisty Fluken said:
Let me guess, you two also lose sleep over the material cost of the Wii, and believe that NSMBwii should be a $10 Wiiware game.

Wii Sports is 310 MB ripped to HDD. Was it a full price game in Japan?

Well, the dev cost is usually important for the price, because they sell to compensate that cost.

So it's normal that, in PSN, a game like Siren costs 40$ because is basicly a retail game (with a big development cost), but a game like PixelJunk Eden costs less than 10$ because is an arcade game, made with probably 1/4 of people and 1/2 time than Siren. Nobody would understand a 40$ Eden, or a 10$ Siren, even if some people enjoys Eden more than Siren.

TuxBobble said:
Haha, yea, it comes up now and then. I have a feeling it has something to do with the Verizon-supplied Actiontec router--when I was using 3 of my own routers, I was able to connect just fine. Now that I'm using 2 of my routers + the Actiontec, I'm having issues.

That's kind of why I mentioned FiOS specific people might have help to offer--it's a commonly issued Verizon FiOS router (I had the exact same model given to us when I had FiOS at my off-campus housing at school last year, for instance)

Plus, the Actiontec has some pretty poor quality firmware, which is what makes it tougher to navigate/manage, lol.

The exact setup, for the record, is:

Actiontec (FiOS) -> WIRE -> WHR-HP-G54 (BUFFALO, running DD-WRT) -> WIFI(B) -> PSP
|
|-> WIFI(G) -> WRT54GL (LINKSYS, running DD-WRT) -> WIRE -> PS3

FiOS = .1.1
BUFfALO = .1.2
LINkSYS = .1.3

PS3 = .1.13
PSP = .1.14

DHCP range starts at .1.101

I'm guessing it has to be something in the FiOS router though, since subbing it in for a DD-WRT model is when the issue began. Otherwise it's an identical setup to the way I used to have it, when it DID work, lol...

Edit:I think I'm gonna just copy down my info, and do a Restore Default Settings on my PS3. Just need to re-enter my network info and Remote Play stuff. But I had put in custom connection info for Remote Play, I don't know if that'll interfere or not. (But like I said, it can connect to the PS3 directly, just not via the routers)
I have the FiOS router, and I have never had issues once I setup static IPs for all my devices. Its not like I just got the router, also got one in my last residence.

I did open up a port for remote play and it seems fine. My friend from work also has the same router and does remote play a lot.

An excellent update for NA PSP users... I'm pretty happy with the release of games like Yggdra and R-Type Command at a reasonable price point, though I think that $10 for the Oddworld games is pushing it a bit (couldn't they come up with a new premium price for PSX titles, something like $7.99? That would be easier to swallow, I think)... Vempire is a must buy, too. And Armoured Core 3 Portable is a nice surprise, especially at $15; I'll probably grab that later this week when I can get out and pick up some more PSN cards.

I still think that for DD some of the pricing definitely seems extreme, though... These $30 and $40 games on PSN can't be moving that well, can they? There's a lot of good stuff up there for a lot less...

outunderthestars said:

This. If they can sell three times as many digital copies at half the price, it would seem worth their while to do it... GTA:CTW is something I'd like to have on my PSPgo, but I'm not going to pay $10 more for it on the PSP than I paid for my DS copy when I bought that new... And stuff like Undead Knights or Half Minute Hero just doesn't come across like a $40 game to me. PSP games pricing has always been an issue with me - I don't think portable games should be priced as high as this as a rule, and I really think that the high price point of PSP games have probably been nearly as detrimental to the system as the oft-mentioned piracy problem. And the perceived value will be less for most people in a digital download scenario. Sony really have to do something to tame the prices on first-run games on PSN, imho.

But until they do, there's a fair batch of reasonably priced games to enjoy now. I really think this latest update was a very good one, and I hope they can continue with some equally interesting offerings over the next few weeks... PS, WHERE'S RIDGE RACER?!? :lol

RuGalz said:
Q is a small company getting their games published by other publishers. It's a bit more difficult. But they said they are looking into it so keep fingers crossed~

Right. If Q Entertainment would have self-published Lumines I/II, I don't think it would have been an issue. Rockstar develops and publishes their own games so that's probably why we are seeing the earlier GTA games on PSN with no issues concerning licensed music. Sucks for Lumines fans, though.

What I'm wondering is what the chances are realistically of those titles coming to PSN. Many of us have called for Q Entertainment to self publish a Supernova/Live type version specifically for the PSP store on PSN. However, are they holding out for a Lumines I/II release on PSN? If so, how long would it take? I wonder if Q has any idea where the licensing discussions are at this point. I'd hate for them to wait for Ubisoft, Bandai Namco, Disney Interactive Studios...but then those publishers not pursue getting those titles on Lumines...which would mean no Lumines at all.

TuxBobble

BoilersFan23 said:
I have the FiOS router, and I have never had issues once I setup static IPs for all my devices. Its not like I just got the router, also got one in my last residence.

I did open up a port for remote play and it seems fine. My friend from work also has the same router and does remote play a lot.

Good to hear. I had set up static IP addressing already, but I think it has something to do with the PS3 itself, not the FiOS router as I thought. As of last night I was able to connect to the PS3 via my local router, selecting the "Internet Connection" option (rather than "Private Network" which may only work directly to the PS3? Anyone know for sure?)

So, I need to get my PSP out into the wild and try to connect remotely. Problem is my office doesn't have wireless--at least, not a connection I have access to. (I'm only 1 month into employment, and there are desktop PCs set up already, so I haven't asked for the WEP key yet)

Anyway though, it was a very good update. Still makes me wonder if we'll see any Sqeenix/Konami titles next month after the Japanese PSP Go launch...I haven't purchased anything from this week yet. Not a huge fan of GTA (it just feels stale too fast, to me) so it isn't an overwhelmingly awesome update. But in terms of quantity, we did get a lot, and I hope the complainers out there are happy, haha...

Returners

Gamecocks625 said:
Right. If Q Entertainment would have self-published Lumines I/II, I don't think it would have been an issue. Rockstar develops and publishes their own games so that's probably why we are seeing the earlier GTA games on PSN with no issues concerning licensed music. Sucks for Lumines fans, though.

What I'm wondering is what the chances are realistically of those titles coming to PSN. Many of us have called for Q Entertainment to self publish a Supernova/Live type version specifically for the PSP store on PSN. However, are they holding out for a Lumines I/II release on PSN? If so, how long would it take? I wonder if Q has any idea where the licensing discussions are at this point. I'd hate for them to wait for Ubisoft, Bandai Namco, Disney Interactive Studios...but then those publishers not pursue getting those titles on Lumines...which would mean no Lumines at all.

Well technically Take 2 owns Rockstar, so anything that Rockstar pumps out on PSN goes through Take 2 as well.

As regards to Lumines, for NA, Ubisoft published the 1st one, while Buena Vista Games (now Disney Interactive) published the 2nd one.

The Lumines problems stems from (IMO) the music licensing. Especially a problem with Lumines 2 with all the music video of artists. I wouldn't think the publishers would withhold games from the store if they can (except maybe Square Enix)

Returners said:
Any impressions on the old PSP GTAs on PSN?

Specifically Vice City Stories? Pop-in issues?

I'm wondering this as well. I remember reading that rips of those games via CFW didn't run too hot.

Also, has anyone picked up the DD GTA:CTW? How are the loading times on that? I watched a video of it (I think it was Destructoid) and the loading times were terrible. I'm hoping they were using the UMD, but it was never clarified.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Good news everyone!

According to a source I absolutely trust, PSP Minis have sold really well in Europe so far. So that's really good to hear. :D

I don't have much info outside of that, but I'm glad this new initiative is doing so well.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I was already going to get Star Wars Battlefront Elite Squadron but the very awesome demo sealed the deal.

I wish more psp games had demos. I feel like I'll never bother to investigate over half of the items on the store just because I have no idea what they are or there is no hype surrounding their release.

chubigans said:
Good news everyone!

According to a source I absolutely trust, PSP Minis have sold really well in Europe so far. So that's really good to hear. :D

I don't have much info outside of that, but I'm glad this new initiative is doing so well.

I certainly believe it. Small games for cheap? Hell yeah.

TuxBobble

chubigans said:
Good news everyone!

Really? Is the pricing in the Euro store as bad as in the NA store? Lol...

Returners said:
Well technically Take 2 owns Rockstar, so anything that Rockstar pumps out on PSN goes through Take 2 as well.

As regards to Lumines, for NA, Ubisoft published the 1st one, while Buena Vista Games (now Disney Interactive) published the 2nd one.

The Lumines problems stems from (IMO) the music licensing. Especially a problem with Lumines 2 with all the music video of artists. I wouldn't think the publishers would withhold games from the store if they can (except maybe Square Enix)

Ah, that's right. Forgot about Take 2 owning Rockstar.

Does anyone know the ins-and-outs of music licensing? How much does it cost? How much of a pain in the butt is it? Since Q mentioned those two songs as the hold up for Lumines I, I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal. I don't know anything about licensing, though. Is it really that hard to pull off?

IPoopStandingUp said:
I was already going to get Star Wars Battlefront Elite Squadron but the very awesome demo sealed the deal.

I wish more psp games had demos. I feel like I'll never bother to investigate over half of the items on the store just because I have no idea what they are or there is no hype surrounding their release.

Agreed. I loved the first Battlefront on PS2, and this keeps that same feel. I'm really surprised that the controls work this well with the single nub. This is pretty much a shoe in for me after I purchase Socom FTB 3 and Pro Evo 2010.

Gamecocks625 said:
Ah, that's right. Forgot about Take 2 owning Rockstar.

Does anyone know the ins-and-outs of music licensing? How much does it cost? How much of a pain in the butt is it? Since Q mentioned those two songs as the hold up for Lumines I, I wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal. I don't know anything about licensing, though. Is it really that hard to pull off?

Agreed. I loved the first Battlefront on PS2, and this keeps that same feel. I'm really surprised that the controls work this well with the single nub. This is pretty much a shoe in for me after I purchase Socom FTB 3 and Pro Evo 2010.
Shinin' has proven to be incredibly problematic over the years. There's more going on with Mondo Grosso on that than a financial issue, I'm sure of it.

RuGalz

Gamecocks625 said:

While I don't know much about music licensing, I know from my past experience that often when you go back and ask to re-license asset the asset holder would look at how much they got from the past and ask for the same, if not more. Meanwhile publishers project the game to sell less so they aren't willing to pay that much for it and that's where the problem occurs.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
chubigans said:
Jeez, Europeans really do like to overpay for stuff :p

I installed GTA; Vice city stories last night, played about 10 mins before bed...oh man it looks like the PS2 version lol, can't wait to get into that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
chubigans said:
Good news everyone!

well its not like we have anything else to buy for our gos, right?

BTW, I picked up FFT from the US store, and the screen is really small. Is there anyway to zoom the screen on PSone classics? Alternatively, does the (hopefully coming) PSP remake have better/bigger graphics and clearer text?

mrklaw said:
BTW, I picked up FFT from the US store, and the screen is really small. Is there anyway to zoom the screen on PSone classics?
Yes, you have a handful of display options for PSX games - hit the Home button and you should get to the menu...

Borman

Im really thinking about picking up a Go soon, playing GTA:CW is pretty much unbearable on my PSP-1000, the blur / ghosting is just terrible

sammy

well i just earned my new G rank Kushala armor after 20 hours of beating his ass. happy to report that Monster Hunter Freedom Unite plays like a dream on the PSPgo. It does take some getting used to if you've spent hundreds of hours on the original PSP

Returners

FuttBuck said:
I installed GTA; Vice city stories last night, played about 10 mins before bed...oh man it looks like the PS2 version lol, can't wait to get into that.

That sounds like a good thing. Any pop-in issues?

I don't mean this to be against the PSP Go or anything, I'm just assuming this is more of a general PSP thread at this point. But apparently Walmart is selling the PSP-3000 Rock Band Bundle for $140 (normally $200). Good deal if anyone wanted to jump on to the PSP for cheap. (it's a black PSP3000, Rock Band Unplugged, 4 gig memory stick and School of Rock movie download).

Takao

Banned
This PSN update is really awesome, even though I own a 2000, and only own a handful of DD titles. Because with this update, the majority of my catalogue of 50+ UMD games are on the store.

$15 is a good price for Hammerin' Hero. It's a cutesy platformer, that is the latest sequel of the 1980's arcade series, Hammerin' Harry. Atlus went crazy with the localization too (shame since it probably sold 2 copies), it's bilingual (Japanese + English audio), and they got more English audio then what was voiced in Japanese (so, there's more voice acting if you play the game in English).

Really interested in biting on a Go. But there hasn't been any swell deals for it in Canada. If I do, I'll definately mass sell off the UMDs to soften the blow that will be buying a bunch of them back.

fernoca

yoursisterspretty said:
Also, has anyone picked up the DD GTA:CTW? How are the loading times on that? I watched a video of it (I think it was Destructoid) and the loading times were terrible. I'm hoping they were using the UMD, but it was never clarified.
Well, according to IGN:
Another presentation stumble comes down to saving and load screens. Thankfully, Chinatown Wars lets you save at anytime when you're not in a mission and even packs an autosave feature that will kick in each time you complete a mission. Problem is -- on the UMD version of the game -- the autosave takes a hair-raising 17 seconds. That's 17 seconds where the game is frozen and you can't do anything; it's not like the short DS autosave that let you keep moving. You can disable autosave and just remember to save manually, which takes nine seconds on the UMD version, but I can tell you from experience that it sucks if the PSP dies on you and you've forgotten to save your progress for awhile.

The silver lining to all of this? Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is on the PlayStation Network day and date with the UMD hitting stores. If you're running the digital version, the autosave is five seconds and the manual save is about one second. That's right -- one second.
..so it seems overall loadings are shorter on the digital version.

Thinking about picking up some PSOne classics. Do the Crash Bandicoot games hold up well? Should I skip any or just start with 1? Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey is the first game in the Oddworld series right? And is Symphony of the Night for PS1 a good version of it or should I wait for that one Castlevania compilation game that comes with it? I (I think it's Castlevania X or something)

Nakazato

OMG LMAO Remember when they had the undead knights fuck up ?? i tried to download when the fuck happen (cause i thought it was just a huge demo) i was like this shits to big ill come back. Just check my DL list and it said i have already bought it XD SO...... FREE GAME :lol :lol :lol :lol

Aru

Blu_LED said:
Eww, why would you want that? Just give us the full game.

So the licence issue is no more.
They licence what they can.

Because if they can't licence just one of the original songs, that means no Lumines at all.

TuxBobble

Nakazato said:
OMG LMAO Remember when they had the undead knights fuck up ?? i tried to download when the fuck happen (cause i thought it was just a huge demo) i was like this shits to big ill come back. Just check my DL list and it said i have already bought it XD SO...... FREE GAME :lol :lol :lol :lol

Yea, I think they took that down WHILE I was downloading it. Because I just left on a crapload of downloads overnight on my PS3 in advance, and exactly one was "Corrupted Data". And Undead Knights was nowhere to be found.

I ALMOST had it!!!

seb

Banned
mrklaw said:
STILL no GT code or rewards codes. 30 days is up on Saturday so I'll call support then. So fucked up.

Sorry for you :( I got it this week end after 21 days of
RAAAAGE
patience. I wonder why it would take so long to send an automated email.

I also got the citroen prototype for free with the Go so I got to DL that as well... relieved that the GT DLC does not appear as a new icon unlike RockBand DLC :S

nofi

fernoca said:
Well, according to IGN:

..so it seems overall loadings are shorter on the digital version.

I've just reviewed the DD version - load times are about 2 seconds, max. It's lightning quick on the Go.

Nakazato

TuxBobble said:
Yea, I think they took that down WHILE I was downloading it. Because I just left on a crapload of downloads overnight on my PS3 in advance, and exactly one was "Corrupted Data". And Undead Knights was nowhere to be found.

I ALMOST had it!!!
Check your DL list if you down loaded and it corrupted that mean you can still get it for free :p

TuxBobble

So, LocoRoco seems to get some good acclaim. Worth it for $15 on Thursday, you think?

I've never played any and have only heard good things, so I'm pretty confident in putting a few bucks down there...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom