• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Go Launch Hype Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

TuxBobble said:
So, LocoRoco seems to get some good acclaim. Worth it for $15 on Thursday, you think?

I've never played any and have only heard good things, so I'm pretty confident in putting a few bucks down there...

2 is better then 1 and this appears to add even more elements, so it definitely worth it

I bought the official PSPgo accessory kit (available at Play Asia and Renchi). It comes with a pouch, wrist strap, and two screen protectors. I love the pouch. SCEA should have released something similar. It's the perfect size (read: small) and is cloth on the inside unlike the SCEA soft case that has the bubble material on the inside (which leaves smudges on the screen).

Here are a couple of extremely poor quality pics I took:

2dhck0j.jpg

zn33mb.jpg

2vt9pxy.jpg

Blu_LED said:
How long did yours take to arrive? Mine shipped in the 15th and I still haven't got it. I'm in the NY area BTW.

Mine shipped on the 16th. I ordered from Renchi since it was a bit cheaper. The whole accessory kit cost $23, and that included shipping.

Gamecocks625 said:
Mine shipped on the 16th. I ordered from Renchi since it was a bit cheaper. The whole accessory kit cost $23, and that included shipping.
That makes me feel a little more at ease. I got it for $26 on Play-Asia, and haven't heard anything about it since it shipped on the 15th. I was starting to get worried, seeing as theres no way to track the package.

depward

TuxBobble said:
So, LocoRoco seems to get some good acclaim. Worth it for $15 on Thursday, you think?

I've never played any and have only heard good things, so I'm pretty confident in putting a few bucks down there...

Yeah, the LocoRoco games are fantastic; I can easily recommend them to any PSP owner. I would say 2 is better than 1. Looking forward to the Midnight Carnival release this Thursday..

RuGalz

Gamecocks625 said:
I bought the official PSPgo accessory kit (available at Play Asia and Renchi). It comes with a pouch, wrist strap, and two screen protectors. I love the pouch. SCEA should have released something similar. It's the perfect size (read: small) and is cloth on the inside unlike the SCEA soft case that has the bubble material on the inside (which leaves smudges on the screen).

So how water and dirt resistant does it seem? That's the only reason I am not considering white one at all.

RuGalz said:
So how water and dirt resistant does it seem? That's the only reason I am not considering white one at all.

Well, it's neoprene so it will be more resistant to stuff than if the pouch had a cloth-like exterior. I went for the white because I wanted the pouch and hand strap to match my white PSP. It looks and feels great in hand.

DangerousDave said:
Is waterproof up to 60 feet depth. Try it. :D

Timex watches have nothing on this thing

It's funny, I ordered a psp 3000 because I want to be able to play cheap umd games, and I went out and bought a stack of them. I never play them though because of how easy it is to play the PSN games. Maybe I should have just bought a Go. :)

Omikaru

I got a PSP Go! as a 22nd birthday gift from my family last week, and I love it!

My only real reservations about the system (beyond the obvious price of entry for the hardware, which I didn't pay for anyhow) is the lack of content on the UK Store. SCEE really need to pull their finger out, and also put pressure onto their current store partners to keep the prices in line with retail (which is about £24.99 for a UMD game, not £31.99).

Still, the added convenience of not having to carry cumbersome UMDs about is great. In fact, UMD is what made me sick of my PSP-1000 back in 2005, shortly after I bought it. Well, that and the general size of the thing. Considering my PSP is truly portable now (it fits in my pocket), I'll be taking it around with me quite a bit. Possibly even more than I take around my DSi - which only goes around with me when I have a bag to carry my games along with it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Omikaru said:
I got a PSP Go! as a 22nd birthday gift from my family last week, and I love it!

My only real reservations about the system (beyond the obvious price of entry for the hardware, which I didn't pay for anyhow) is the lack of content on the UK Store. SCEE really need to pull their finger out, and also put pressure onto their current store partners to keep the prices in line with retail (which is about £24.99 for a UMD game, not £31.99).

Still, the added convenience of not having to carry cumbersome UMDs about is great. In fact, UMD is what made me sick of my PSP-1000 back in 2005, shortly after I bought it. Well, that and the general size of the thing. Considering my PSP is truly portable now (it fits in my pocket), I'll be taking it around with me quite a bit. Possibly even more than I take around my DSi - which only goes around with me when I have a bag to carry my games along with it.

I wonder if publishers set the PSN retail price? Because they don't set retail - retail price. They set the wholesale price, and the retailer adds a markup to make their profit.

So in theory that should be how PSN works too - that would allow Sony to 'adjust' the markup to better reflect the retail prices in each territory, while still providing the publisher with the same wholesale pricing they already get on physical goods.

Omikaru

Well, digital distribution is a whole different method of selling from retail. I believe publishers set the price, and Sony takes a percentage cut (though don't quote me on that).

Some publishers have the balance right on the UK Store (bravo to Sega on that one, where their prices for PSP games on PSN are in line with "new" prices on sites like Game, Play.com, Amazon and ShopTo), but games like Prinny are £32 on PSN, and between £18 and £25 on retail websites. What I want to know is if Sony take that big a cut? I mean, surely the manufacture, distribution, licensing and retailer markup on UMD games will cost them more than the licensing and store percentage on PSN, right? At the very least I'd expect price parity with what retailers are offering on release date. At the moment, it just looks like extortion of the highest degree, whether that be by the publishers or Sony, I don't know.

Obviously there are more factors to them choosing their pricing (I have a suspicious feeling that the retail stores are one of those factors), but if publishers want to make a success of their items on the PS Store, and if Sony want to make a success of their download-only system, then they need to start doing a little bit of research first and giving their online-only customers a better deal.

I know RRP is around £29.99, but the RRP just doesn't reflect real retail pricing on new PSP games these days, and I think that's a huge barrier to the PSP Go!'s appeal, especially considering the system itself costs more.

Nakazato

Gamecocks625 said:

Here are a couple of extremely poor quality pics I took:

2dhck0j.jpg

zn33mb.jpg

2vt9pxy.jpg
Oh nice. I get my Go back from sony saturday :D

Well, the third post-launch PSN update has come and gone, and I think that it's pretty mediocre, considering... It's nice to see Echochrome and Super Stardust Portable at $5 a pop on sale, but besides LocoRoco, there's not much else worth writing home about... The three Petz games at $30 a pop are just sad, sad, sad...

If we don't get the Metal Gear games same day as Japan, I'm going to be sorely disappointed...

TuxBobble

Blue Submarine No. 6 said:
Well, the third post-launch PSN update has come and gone, and I think that it's pretty mediocre, considering... It's nice to see Echochrome and Super Stardust Portable at $5 a pop on sale, but besides LocoRoco, there's not much else worth writing home about... The three Petz games at $30 a pop are just sad, sad, sad...

If we don't get the Metal Gear games same day as Japan, I'm going to be sorely disappointed...

Yea, I suspect a big Japanese push in next week's update, since the Go is launching in Japan in the next week, if I'm not mistaken. If not, I'll start to worry a little--Square Enix is a big part of ANY Sony system's lineup, as are the MGS games, so if they don't start at least to trickle, I'll start to accept reason for a little concern.

TuxBobble said:
Yea, I suspect a big Japanese push in next week's update, since the Go is launching in Japan in the next week, if I'm not mistaken. If not, I'll start to worry a little--Square Enix is a big part of ANY Sony system's lineup, as are the MGS games, so if they don't start at least to trickle, I'll start to accept reason for a little concern.

I'd imagine Konami and SE will support the Go launch in a significant way this weekend.

At any rate, I picked up LocoRoco MC last night. It's my first LocoRoco game and it's goooood. I love the competitive nature of it compared to the LocoRoco 2 demo.

And seriously, I bought the thing right before I went to sleep. Digital distribution is awesome ;)

Disguises

mrklaw said:
STILL no GT code or rewards codes. 30 days is up on Saturday so I'll call support then. So fucked up.

Still waiting for mine too. 30 days for me is up on Monday so I'll give them a ring unless I get an email soon. I always have bad luck with free stuff :(

TuxBobble

Gamecocks625 said:
I'd imagine Konami and SE will support the Go launch in a significant way this weekend.

At any rate, I picked up LocoRoco MC last night. It's my first LocoRoco game and it's goooood. I love the competitive nature of it compared to the LocoRoco 2 demo.

And seriously, I bought the thing right before I went to sleep. Digital distribution is awesome ;)

Hence why I love Steam so much. I dl'd the demo of LR MC last night, and it seemed good, but I was hesitant at $15. I still think I'll pick it up, though--I think adjusting to the controls was a bit weird for me at first though haha. (I tried the training stage and bouncing from wall to wall but I kept falling eventually haha)

antispin

Quick question: Final Fantasy Tactics on the US PSN store -- this is the PSOne version, right, not the updated 'The War of the Lions' PSP version?

TuxBobble

antispin said:
Quick question: Final Fantasy Tactics on the US PSN store -- this is the PSOne version, right, not the updated 'The War of the Lions' PSP version?

Correct, which is why I'm waiting right now to buy. I've played through Tactics and loved it, but I still have the PSOne disc, which I can play on PS3, or Remote Play via PSP. So I'd rather buy the newer version which looked like a pretty faithful and yet very good/worthwhile remake.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Gamecocks625 said:
Agreed, next week is the one I've been waiting for to pass judgment on the PSN's release schedule of PSP games.

I am waiting to see if there will be a flood of Konami/Square games as well as expecting to see if a release I'm waiting for, Star Wars Battlefront, will be released the same week it comes out physically.

Even if I am disappointed I'm way too addicted to Patapon 2 and Pixel Junk Monsters to notice

RuGalz

I bet we won't see the same releases of JP PSN on US PSN next week, there always seem to be a bit of lag which is pretty annoying.

Edit: Picked up Locoroco MC and Unbound Saga. Unbound Saga isn't bad for $5, I probably wouldn't have liked it at $10 because the control is questionable; why make a brawler that uses so many buttons when it seems like some buttons can be consolidated. I guess they really want to "fix" the old brawler problem where you just pick up stuff and throw unwillingly because your character is standing on an object. But overall it's a decent beat-em-up with comic style panels all over your face, which is kind of cool.

TuxBobble

RuGalz said:
I bet we won't see the same releases of JP PSN on US PSN next week, there always seem to be a bit of lag which is pretty annoying.

Edit: Picked up Locoroco MC and Unbound Saga. Unbound Saga isn't bad for $5, I probably wouldn't have liked it at $10 because the control is questionable; why make a brawler that uses so many buttons when it seems like some buttons can be consolidated. I guess they really want to "fix" the old brawler problem where you just pick up stuff and throw unwillingly because your character is standing on an object. But overall it's a decent beat-em-up with comic style panels all over your face, which is kind of cool.

Yea I don't expect to see everything, but I'd like to see some Konami/SE titles released to Japan, and have a few of them shadowed locally, even if not all. That would prove that the support exists, but is just making progress, whereas if NOTHING comes to the US I'd be disappointed, and if Konami/SE doesn't release any big games at all, I'd get worried.

IPoopStandingUp said:
Even if I am disappointed I'm way too addicted to Patapon 2 and Pixel Junk Monsters to notice
Did you ever attempt Patapon 2 online via Ad Hoc Party? Just wondering--I never tried it online, but I did play through that mode offline a few times. The game gets really tough at certain points, I have to say, lol...

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
TuxBobble said:
Did you ever attempt Patapon 2 online via Ad Hoc Party? Just wondering--I never tried it online, but I did play through that mode offline a few times. The game gets really tough at certain points, I have to say, lol...
I did try going online through AD-HOC party but it seems that service isn't really for random groups, unless the game is Monster Hunter so no, haven't tried it.

I have to play the game on easy, I hate losing fever when I think I'm hitting the beats fine.

About 8 hours to go for the Japanese release date - let's hope for a huge midnight PSN update filled with awesome games. I'm *really* hoping they get Ys Seven, which came out on UMD last month.

Aru

TuxBobble said:
Correct, which is why I'm waiting right now to buy. I've played through Tactics and loved it, but I still have the PSOne disc, which I can play on PS3, or Remote Play via PSP. So I'd rather buy the newer version which looked like a pretty faithful and yet very good/worthwhile remake.

Buying the remake is pretty pointless if you have the original.
You get new CG cut scenes, 2 new characters.
But also slow animations !

TuxBobble

IPoopStandingUp said:
I did try going online through AD-HOC party but it seems that service isn't really for random groups, unless the game is Monster Hunter so no, haven't tried it.

I have to play the game on easy, I hate losing fever when I think I'm hitting the beats fine.

Yea, for whatever reason I can only do one of the beats perfectly with any consistency: Chaka Chaka Pata Pon (triangle triangle square circle)

But fair enough. I've been playing on normal--I hate dropping the difficulty down in any game if I can avoid it. I just beat the spider thing and the one thing that bothers me, is that when I do the special drums to make it rain, sometimes the weather doesn't change. I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong, or what...

PS-The Play-Asia PSP Go accessory pack doesn't include the soft pouch with the zipper. It's actually a pretty crappy thing, in my opinion, which is a shame. So I guess if I want the soft pouch I'll have to seek it elsewhere.

cvxfreak

I can't believe the price differences that happen between the U.S. and Japan sometimes.

The dock is $29.99 in the U.S., but it's ¥4800 in Japan (about $52). Insane.

TuxBobble said:
PS-The Play-Asia PSP Go accessory pack doesn't include the soft pouch with the zipper. It's actually a pretty crappy thing, in my opinion, which is a shame. So I guess if I want the soft pouch I'll have to seek it elsewhere.

You don't like the pouch? Which color did you get? I actually like it better than the SCEA soft pouch (w/zipper) due to the smaller size and the fact that there isn't the bubble material on the inside that leaves smudges on the screen.

TuxBobble

Gamecocks625 said:
You don't like the pouch? Which color did you get? I actually like it better than the SCEA soft pouch (w/zipper) due to the smaller size and the fact that there isn't the bubble material on the inside that leaves smudges on the screen.

Well, I was just hoping it would be more protective--I already have the hard case if I want a small, easy to use, pocket-able case, haha. Given that they offer the same level of protection, I'd opt for the hard case since I can keep it in the case while playing.

Whereas that heavy-duty soft case with the bubbles inside is more protective, so if I'm packing it away somehow or other, I feel that it would be better.

In other words, the cases complement each other. Whereas now I have two cases which are somewhat redundant. I was just expecting it to be similar to the heavier one when I ordered is all. If I didn't have the hard shell case, I'd probably feel differently about it though.

DCharlie

Banned
so today is the JPN launch - stores usually open in 1 hr. so i wonder if the PSP update will be up sharp? i guess i should check again.

The cradle being 4800 yen is a complete joke - $29.99 in the US, and $53 in the JPN. luls

Schrade

WhiteAce said:
so today is the JPN launch - stores usually open in 1 hr. so i wonder if the PSP update will be up sharp? i guess i should check again.

The cradle being 4800 yen is a complete joke - $29.99 in the US, and $53 in the JPN. luls
Wow, really? So today is the first official sales day of the PSP Go in Japan? Wonder how people there will take to it...

I'm on the train to Shinjuku right now to pic this shiz up. If there's crowds I'll post some pics but I'm sure there will be nobody there.

DCharlie

Banned
okay - psp update is up

Persona 3 (5040 yen - ffffuuuuuck)
Dissidia (4000 yen)
Motorstorm (3800)
Ridge Racers (2800)
Portable ops / +(1500/1000)
Mojipitan (2800)
namco museum (2800)
Tekken dark res (2800)
Soul Cal (6280 <--- what in fucks name?!)
shadow of memories (3200)
Dracula X (2800)
Armored core formula front (2800)
Rota Nova (1200)
Orochi (2800)
Kings field 1 /2 (1200 each)
tenchu (2300)
shin sangoku mahjong (1200)
korda (1200)
Carnage Heart (3800 <--- umd version is trading at circa 8000 yen)
Number puzzle thing (980)

looks like the update aint finished, i can see a few others (prinny) put up today - but not in the new section

overall : some games i want in there and some very mixed pricing. Soul Cal being nearly 70$ is an absolute joke. Hell, Uncharted 2 costs 5280 NEW ffs.

AppleBlade

I got a PSP GO like a week ago. I love the little damn thing, as far as the available games, I think it's pretty damn under-rated there are a lot of big name games already available (i.e. God of War, 3 GTA games, Gran Turismo, Daxter, Rachet & Clank, Secret Agent Clank, Syphon Filter games, Patapon 1 & 2, Jean D'arc, Locoroco, Resistance Retribution, Wipeout Games) and then you have all of the lesser acclaimed but still good games (i.e. Tomb Raider Annivesary & Legends, Prince of Persia games, Gurumin, Dead Head Fred, Tokobot, Kingdom of Paradise, etc.).

jimid2

Neo Member
Ridge Racer?!? Dissidia?!? DracX?!? Portable Ops?!? What the fuck is wrong with SCEA they can't get these on our store? I would buy EVERY FREAKING ONE!! And every one of them would be a double dip!! You hear me Sony?!? I'm waiting to give you money to play games I already own on my GO!! :lol

MrVargas said:
I got a PSP GO like a week ago. I love the little damn thing, as far as the available games, I think it's pretty damn under-rated there are a lot of big name games already available (i.e. God of War, 3 GTA games, Gran Turismo, Daxter, Rachet & Clank, Secret Agent Clank, Syphon Filter games, Patapon 1 & 2, Jean D'arc, Locoroco, Resistance Retribution, Wipeout Games) and then you have all of the lesser acclaimed but still good games (i.e. Tomb Raider Annivesary & Legends, Prince of Persia games, Gurumin, Dead Head Fred, Tokobot, Kingdom of Paradise, etc.).

Well, sure, there are some good games available, but I'd rather have Ridge Racer than Gran Turismo, I'd rather have DracX than God of War, and I'd rather have Portable Ops than Syphon Filter. And since all of these games are OLD, and they're available in other PSN regions, I want to know why I can't have them right freaking now! :lol

LCfiner

jimid2 said:
Ridge Racer?!? Dissidia?!? DracX?!? Portable Ops?!? What the fuck is wrong with SCEA they can't get these on our store? I would buy EVERY FREAKING ONE!! And every one of them would be a double dip!! You hear me Sony?!? I'm waiting to give you money to play games I already own on my GO!! :lol

the next week or two of psn updates in NA should be very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom