• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Go Launch Hype Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnyram

Dreamwriter said:
And for those of you talking about price, don't forget the huge amount Sony will be charging for the game to be on the PSN. Apple charges 30%. Yes, you are saving a couple bucks on boxes and stuff, but the online store's take will make up for much of the savings.
Even if Sony charges 30%, that's very little compared to the overheads of selling at retail. Do you even know how much Sony charges for UMD manufacturing?

IPoopStandingUp said:
I did, I really enjoyed it...only played against bots but it was still entertaining. Also loved Battlefront 2 on Xbox - is it not the same for PS2?

The PS2 version just didn't hold up as well graphically (especially compared to the Xbox version, but even so versus the original PS2 Battlefront).

Would you say Battlefront 2 on PSP is better than Elite Squadron?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Gamecocks625 said:
The PS2 version just didn't hold up as well graphically (especially compared to the Xbox version, but even so versus the original PS2 Battlefront).

Would you say Battlefront 2 on PSP is better than Elite Squadron?
It's been a long time since I played it. I only played the demo of ES. From what I can remember, ES has better combat, feels much smoother. The integration between space/ground/interior of ship is great. Adds an epic feel that was missing in the original. My biggest gripe though is that Battlefront 2 required more focus on control points where as in ES it's all about shutting down a ships shields and blowing it up. The control points are pointless.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Jonnyram said:
Even if Sony charges 30%, that's very little compared to the overheads of selling at retail. Do you even know how much Sony charges for UMD manufacturing?

And there's no returns, no shelf space, no end caps, no rent, no clerks, no... etc

IPoopStandingUp said:
It's been a long time since I played it. I only played the demo of ES. From what I can remember, ES has better combat, feels much smoother. The integration between space/ground/interior of ship is great. Adds an epic feel that was missing in the original. My biggest gripe though is that Battlefront 2 required more focus on control points where as in ES it's all about shutting down a ships shields and blowing it up. The control points are pointless.

Same thoughts here. I enjoy the focus on trying to capture all of the control points in the first two Battlefronts. However, the focus isn't totally lost in ES. I've won several games by capturing all of the command points and totally ignoring the space battles. What makes this harder in ES is that you have to account for transports arriving from space bringing more enemies even if you are about to capture all control points.

jimid2 said:
I think the lack of support for backward compatibility is a huge issue, for me and many others... Who else is the PSPgo marketed to if not the exact same demographic as the original PSP! :lol Lets face it, there are a heck of a lot of us out here who would support the Go more enthusiastically if we got some kind of system that would let us load up our UMDs...
The PSP Go is mostly designed as a test, to determine whether the handheld market is ready for a DD only platform and figure out ways to get it accepted at retailer (so Sony can learn from mistakes for future platforms like PS4 and PSP2).

If the people who bought a brand new UMD game were the only ones who would copy a game to a PSP Go, I think Sony would have allowed it. Unfortunately, the majority are dishonest and are likely to buy cheap/used UMDs, copy them to the PSP, and then sell them off (or share them with friends). High piracy on PSP also makes it difficult to come up with a secure way of doing it (that won't be hacked). Currently, there's no unique ID tied to a UMD, so there's no way of knowing whether a UMD was copied to 10 PSPs. If UMDs had some unique number tied to them, Sony could do online authorization to assure it ties to just one PSP.

jimid2 said:
I don't think that most developers typically see more than about 20% of the retail sale price of a game on a store shelf, so handing 30% to Sony would seem like a great deal, even with another 30% going to the "publisher" (whoever's negotiating the publication with Sony)... That's still twice the profit margin - they could easily drop the price by 25% and still be making money...

I broke down and bought the DD of Motorstorm and I wish I hadn't - it's not my kind of racer at all, and I'm certainly not going to get $40 worth of play-time out of it... From now on, I'm voting with my wallet; I'll buy good games that are priced at $20 or less, and I'll wait for the more expensive ones to go on sale. Triple-A titles might be worth $30 to me, but I'm going to be very, very choosy about those... Sony will have to learn that there's more money to be had pricing their games at a reasonable price point - and it's their consumers that will have to teach them this...
Like I said before, DD will never be cheaper than retail. We don't see cheaper DD prices on PS3, 360, PSP, DVDs on the Video Store, etc. because if Sony/MS were to undercut the retailers with lower prices (hurting their sales), you better bet those retailers who stock their stuff would get very angry. In order to maintain good relationships with retailers, that's why prices between DD and disc have to remain the same, even if DD is cheaper. Until retail is no longer used, this pricing will continue. Its like if Sony and publishers were selling a DD game for $20, compared to $40 in retail, you better bet those retailers selling the game for $40 will struggle to sell it. In order for them to sell it, they have to take a huge cut in profit or maybe even lose money just to get rid of it. Upsetting a retailer could lead to them refusing to stock the hardware, or refusing to stock the games (B&M retailers are still needed since the majority of consumers still buy at B&M stores).

Its not like Sony can magically make UMD games cheaper to bring DD prices down because then they'd make very little back from each game they sell.

The only way Sony or MS can technically get away with lower prices is to have occasional sales, since most competing retailers may do that.

Jonnyram

BoilersFan23 said:
Like I said before, DD will never be cheaper than retail. We don't see cheaper DD prices on PS3, 360, PSP, DVDs on the Video Store, etc. because if Sony/MS were to undercut the retailers with lower prices (hurting their sales), you better bet those retailers who stock their stuff would get very angry.
Actually DD is cheaper than retail in Japan, but I assume it isn't a large enough amount to piss retailers off. It's usually about $5-$10 cheaper depending on the RRP, but then several retailers sell for less than RRP anyway.

Shanlei91

BoilersFan23 said:
Like I said before, DD will never be cheaper than retail. We don't see cheaper DD prices on PS3, 360, PSP, DVDs on the Video Store, etc. because if Sony/MS were to undercut the retailers with lower prices (hurting their sales), you better bet those retailers who stock their stuff would get very angry.
To see an example of this, go to gamestop.com and search up "PSN". Pre-PSP GO they were stocked with PSN cards, now they are sold out online and are rarer in-store than a pack of Eye of Judgment cards.

Blablurn

i'm currently playing the review version of little big planet for psp. it's awesome. it feels like the console version. i already downloaded several level from the community planet and it worked perfectly.

LevityNYC

Banned
I sold my 3K for 110 bucks and I was looking to sell my God of War Red PSP since I sold my UMD's as well. I took a look at a Go in Gamestop today and I was tempted as it is a very sexy piece of equipment. I just can't justify 250 bucks for this.... I tried really hard, but its just not worth it. 199.99 and I'm in.

Maybe theyll be a Black Friday deal of something, but man....its a very nice handheld, but not for 250 bucks.

Jonnyram

IPoopStandingUp said:
To see an example of this, go to gamestop.com and search up "PSN". Pre-PSP GO they were stocked with PSN cards, now they are sold out online and are rarer in-store than a pack of Eye of Judgment cards.
Surely that is more to do with the popularity of PSN cards than retailer hatred?

Yes Boss!

God,

After, like, a month, I still love my Go. Play it every day at work. So much fun. This is easily my favorite handheld system just after the Micro...such a beast.

LevityNYC said:
I sold my 3K for 110 bucks and I was looking to sell my God of War Red PSP since I sold my UMD's as well. I took a look at a Go in Gamestop today and I was tempted as it is a very sexy piece of equipment. I just can't justify 250 bucks for this.... I tried really hard, but its just not worth it. 199.99 and I'm in.

Maybe theyll be a Black Friday deal of something, but man....its a very nice handheld, but not for 250 bucks.
I think if you wait, the price will drop before too long. Just after Xmas, perhaps?

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Surely that is more to do with the popularity of PSN cards than retailer hatred?

I would like to subscribe to your logical explainations to conspiracy theorism; somehow it...makes sense

Ashour

Blablurn said:
i'm currently playing the review version of little big planet for psp. it's awesome. it feels like the console version. i already downloaded several level from the community planet and it worked perfectly.

Good to know.

SmokyDave

This thing is killing my wallet. I have made so many impulse purchases since buying my PSP Go that I now have to 'clean the fridge' to get Unbound Saga on there. I haven't even put my PSOne titles on it.

Can't wait for LBP and MGS: Peace Walker.

Jonnyram said:
Actually DD is cheaper than retail in Japan, but I assume it isn't a large enough amount to piss retailers off. It's usually about $5-$10 cheaper depending on the RRP, but then several retailers sell for less than RRP anyway.
In Japan its not much of an issue (because its even harder to sell DD there). In NA, it is more of a problem. One reason Siren Blood Curse never came stateside was SCEA would either have to raise the download price to $50-$60 (to get what they want back), or release it at $40 on PSN only (to make what they want back). I was strictly talking about North America when it comes to DD pricing.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think if you wait, the price will drop before too long. Just after Xmas, perhaps?
I think its more likely we'll see varying pricing for the Go compared to previous handhelds. I would not be surprised if one reason for its higher price is so retailers could make more profit on everyone they sell. Basically, most gaming hardware only makes retailers a few dollars. In order to help please retailers (because its not like people would be buying UMDs to help give them a profit), PSP Go would have a higher mark-up like most regular electronics have (like TVs, iPods, etc.). If anyone remembers how Sony was with the PS3 pricetag last year, I just don't see them dropping it for a while even if its sales aren't big (PSP Go is still more of a test to them).
SmokyDave said:
This thing is killing my wallet. I have made so many impulse purchases since buying my PSP Go that I now have to 'clean the fridge' to get Unbound Saga on there. I haven't even put my PSOne titles on it.

Can't wait for LBP and MGS: Peace Walker.
Same, and there's still more I want to make.

Shanlei91

Jonnyram said:
Hogwash!

*cries in a corner*
Blablurn said:
I'm excited. :D

Jonnyram said:
IPoopStandingUp said:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little bit of both... Game Stop can't be pocketing more than about 10% on the sale of PSN cards, and they see absolutely zero benefit from them; no trade-ins, no used game sales, etc. I've been thinking, and I suspect that the sale of downloadable content will have a telling effect on used hardware sales as well in the long term, because people will be less likely to want to trade-in their system for something else if it's loaded with hundreds of dollars of DLC that they won't get credited for and will be unable to use without the system.

I went into my local EB to buy another PSN card a few days ago, and the manager asked the usual "Any preorders you're interested in?" etc... I just shook my head and he says: "Ya, you don't need any preorders, just get it on-line on release day, heh." And he didn't say it like he thought it was cool, or a good thing. I think that the retailers are very aware of this threat, and not just in a theoretical way - I would be very surprised if the word hadn't filtered down to the stores that DD is not something they want to encourage, even if they have to maintain the appearance of supporting it to some degree... :lol

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I just got my PSP Go. The reason i bought it and not a 3000 was because i was able to get it for 100€ with a GTpsp download code, SE phone, bluetooth headset. Thanks to Orange.

I havent used a PSP since my old first gen PSP that i bought in early 2006, i sold it back because there wasnt really many games, i owned only Daxter/Wipeout/Ridge Racer. So it was a bit of a shock when i opened the package, because i had never tried the PSP Go. Its so tiny, its ridiculous but so awesome :lol The buttons are so much better than the old mushy ones, though maybe they got better with the 2000s and 3000s.

I got some questions though, i read that you can browse the PSN store from the pc, but do you have to use mediago ? Because i dont really like it, it looks and runs as bad as Itunes.

Last newb PSN question, are the codes for games/dlc region locked ? Or can you redeem them in any region.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Kandrick said:
I got some questions though, i read that you can browse the PSN store from the pc, but do you have to use mediago ? Because i dont really like it, it looks and runs as bad as Itunes.

Last newb PSN question, are the codes for games/dlc region locked ? Or can you redeem them in any region.
Answers:
1. Browsing store from Windows only via MediaGo. No way to browse on any other system except PSP and PS3.

2. Codes are region locked.

krae_man

God I hate the battery life of this thing. If I forget to put the Go on the charger at night, the battery will die the next day.

With my PSP 2000 w/ Stamina battery I could go 2 days easy without needing to charge the thing, sometimes three.

jvm

Gamasutra.
krae_man said:
God I hate the battery life of this thing. If I forget to put the Go on the charger at night, the battery will die the next day.

With my PSP 2000 w/ Stamina battery I could go 2 days easy without needing to charge the thing, sometimes three.
I'm trying to remember to cut the wireless every time I'm not hitting up the store or using the browser. I like to think that's helping my battery life... :p

RuGalz

krae_man said:

Do you put it to sleep in game or do you pause game then put it to sleep? It helps a lot, if you know it's going to be sleeping for a while, use the pause game feature and put the system to sleep in xmb, because battery drain inside a game is unknown. I charge mine maybe once every 3 days.

krae_man

I use the pause feature and I put it in just the normal sleep mode. I rarly if ever do the hard power off. Maybe I should start doing that, But I dont like having to wait an extra few seconds on start up:lol

RuGalz

krae_man said:
I use the pause feature and I put it in just the normal sleep mode. I rarly if ever do the hard power off. Maybe I should start doing that, But I dont like having to wait an extra few seconds on start up:lol

Sleep mode's drain seems to be less than my PSP1K, well if you put it in actual sleep mode and not the new half-asleep because it's displaying clock mode anyway... But stamina battery definitely helped with battery life in the other models.

TuxBobble

RuGalz said:
Sleep mode's drain seems to be less than my PSP1K, well if you put it in actual sleep mode and not the new half-asleep because it's displaying clock mode anyway... But stamina battery definitely helped with battery life in the other models.

Could you guys clarify what you mean by different sleep modes?

Maybe I'm ignorant, or maybe I just look at it differently, but please, indulge me, lol.

RuGalz

TuxBobble said:
Could you guys clarify what you mean by different sleep modes?

Maybe I'm ignorant, or maybe I just look at it differently, but please, indulge me, lol.

With Go, for me, I just close it instead of using the power switch to put it to sleep. Normally the system would display a clock when you close it, which drains the battery. In the system option, I changed the behavior so it goes into the proper sleep mode when you close it instead of displaying the clock. Now I think about it I guess the system doesn't even go to sleep in the normal mode when you close it... I guess that made it confusing...

The sleep function, of course, also works while you are in the game. The problem with leaving it in sleep mode in the game is that it is unknown how much battery drain it is to keep a game in sleep mode. It is different depends on the game and depends on the state of the game. So, the most optimal way to conserve the battery life, if you know the system will be sleeping for a while, is to utilize the Pause Game function to get back to XMB and then put the system to sleep. The battery drain is minimum in this state.

TuxBobble

RuGalz said:
With Go, for me, I just close it instead of using the power switch to put it to sleep. Normally the system would display a clock when you close it, which drains the battery. In the system option, I changed the behavior so it goes into the proper sleep mode when you close it instead of displaying the clock. Now I think about it I guess the system doesn't even go to sleep in the normal mode when you close it... I guess that made it confusing...

The sleep function, of course, also works while you are in the game. The problem with leaving it in sleep mode in the game is that it is unknown how much battery drain it is to keep a game in sleep mode. It is different depends on the game and depends on the state of the game. So, the most optimal way to conserve the battery life, if you know the system will be sleeping for a while, is to utilize the Pause Game function to get back to XMB and then put the system to sleep. The battery drain is minimum in this state.

Yea. That was the confusing part, about the clock mode. There shouldn't be a significant increase to battery drain when in-game, but any "increase" in "drain" is a bad thing, unless you're talking about your shower's plumbing, I suppose.

RuGalz said:
So, the most optimal way to conserve the battery life, if you know the system will be sleeping for a while, is to utilize the Pause Game function to get back to XMB and then put the system to sleep. The battery drain is minimum in this state.

Er...if you have the time to go that far though, why not just Pause Game and then turn the system off?

Evander

"industry expert"
IPoopStandingUp said:

My store has tons of PSN cards, as well as the download cards for a bunch of different individual games.

The company definitely didn't stop stocking the product, so either you're going off of an overly-small sample group, or else, as has been said, the cards are just selling out.

RuGalz

Crazymoogle said:
Er...if you have the time to go that far though, why not just Pause Game and then turn the system off?

Full boot up time is kind of annoying and holding the switch to turn it off is less convenient than just close the system. :p

Wanace

I hate to ask these questions since I'm sure they've been covered already but I can't find the answers and I know you guys know.

1. Is there somewhere I can see a list of games available on the store for the PSPGo? (PSP and PSOne titles).
2. I currently live in Korea. If I buy the system here can I download games from the US store? Or will I be limited to my region only? Also can I create accounts for other stores and purchase games from other regions?

I'm really tempted because my DS isn't entertaining me much these days.

Returners

Cryptozoologist said:
I hate to ask these questions since I'm sure they've been covered already but I can't find the answers and I know you guys know.

1. Is there somewhere I can see a list of games available on the store for the PSPGo? (PSP and PSOne titles).
2. I currently live in Korea. If I buy the system here can I download games from the US store? Or will I be limited to my region only? Also can I create accounts for other stores and purchase games from other regions?

I'm really tempted because my DS isn't entertaining me much these days.

1. It depends from store to store. I don't know if its possible to set your MediaGo to view stores of different regions.
2. Yes you can buy US games and use a US account. Some restrictions though regarding credit cards. Its better to ask the question in the Playstation Store weekly threads.
3. Also, PSP can only store 1 account at one time. So if you bought something from US and Jap you can only play the games associated with 1 account at one time.

Wanace

Returners said:
3. Also, PSP can only store 1 account at one time. So if you bought something from US and Jap you can only play the games associated with 1 account at one time.

Thanks for your answers, I'll probably go grab one today.

As for your last point, that just means I have to sign out of the US account and sign into my JPN account if I wanted to play games I purchased on that account, right? There's not some huge convoluted process to go through?

TuxBobble

Cryptozoologist said:
Thanks for your answers, I'll probably go grab one today.

As for your last point, that just means I have to sign out of the US account and sign into my JPN account if I wanted to play games I purchased on that account, right? There's not some huge convoluted process to go through?

I'm not sure as I haven't tried it but what I've heard is you need access to some sort of internet connection in order to switch regions.

So, if you wake up in the morning with a US system, and go the entire day without getting 802.11b internet access, you're stuck with US until you get home or connected. So it's a bit of an annoying process from what I hear, but if you don't mind that it's very "do-able".

If the PSP Go was about 170, there would be no issue if it didn't have BC.... for a cheap price I'd be willing to use two PSPs. One for the new games and one for the old ones.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
FINALLY got my UK rewards after only 44 days waiting..... picked patapon, loco roco and killzone (I'd already lost patience and bought everybodys golf 2 and wipeout pulse)

And now I've run out of space on my go! I don't think I'll be buying anything for a while, but I'll be on the lookout for memory stick micro deals.

mrklaw said:
FINALLY got my UK rewards after only 44 days waiting..... picked patapon, loco roco and killzone (I'd already lost patience and bought everybodys golf 2 and wipeout pulse)

And now I've run out of space on my go! I don't think I'll be buying anything for a while, but I'll be on the lookout for memory stick micro deals.

Better late than never, right? ;)

Wow, already out of space? I still have about 6GBs left of space between games, tv shows and music. I haven't even touched my 16GB micro yet. I must be picking up smaller sized games or something.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
So i made a US PSN account and got a US PSN card since the euro psn store only has a few things and it cost too much.

I was looking for games to buy and noticed there is a tax added to the game price. I think the tax veries from state right ? I think i put NY as the state, is there anyway to not get taxed or get a lower tax ? If someone from USA can tell me :lol

Kandrick said:
So i made a US PSN account and got a US PSN card since the euro psn store only has a few things and it cost too much.

I was looking for games to buy and noticed there is a tax added to the game price. I think the tax veries from state right ? I think i put NY as the state, is there anyway to not get taxed or get a lower tax ? If someone from USA can tell me :lol

Of all states do not choose NY or CA :lol

There's no tax on PSN games in SC, though!

yankee666

Gold Member
Kandrick said:

Choose Alaska as the State. Ther isnt any tax for Alaska AFAIK

RuGalz

Kandrick said:

Bold part is probably your problem. Pick another state like CA or something...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Gamecocks625 said:
Better late than never, right? ;)

Wow, already out of space? I still have about 6GBs left of space between games, tv shows and music. I haven't even touched my 16GB micro yet. I must be picking up smaller sized games or something.

actually it says I have 3000MB left, so not as bad as I thought - I think mediago was telling me it wrong.

I've got:

- Locoroco
- patapon
- killzone liberation
- Tetris
- Unjammer lammy
- Rtype delta
- Nuclear strike
- Jumping Flash
- Jumping Flash 2
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- MGS peace walker demo
- Loco roco midnight carnival demo
- Everybodys golf 2
- Monster hunter
- Crazy Taxi
- Impossible Mission
- Sega Megadrive collection
- Mahjong
- GT PSP
- Super Stardust Portable
- Wild Arms XF
- Wipeout Pulse
- Crush
- God of War
- Pinball Fantasies
- Motorstorm: Arctic Edge
- Thexder Neo
- Breakquest
- Pixeljunk monsters

that'd be a lot of UMDs! and pretty much everything I'm interested in from the EU store so far (and a few US PSone games)

if you use a memory stick, can you just put eg a few games on one, a few games on another, then just swap them around if necessary? So never any need to resort to a PC to swap games around if you have enough cards?

Leo the 3rd

Lord of the Manberries
Yeah, you can put some on the built-in memory and some on the Micro stick. I tend to put demos, music and movies on the Micro and the games on the internal memory. Haven't notice any adverse affects with loading games from either one.

mrklaw said:
if you use a memory stick, can you just put eg a few games on one, a few games on another, then just swap them around if necessary? So never any need to resort to a PC to swap games around if you have enough cards?

from what I understand, yes.

Thomaticus~ said:
If the PSP Go was about 170, there would be no issue if it didn't have BC.... for a cheap price I'd be willing to use two PSPs. One for the new games and one for the old ones.

Well yeah, but Sony would have to be quite the moronic company to sell a piece of hardware (PSPGo) for the exact same price as hardware that's far cheaper to manufacture (PSP3000).

I finally got to mess around with one today and I really like it! The only thing holding me back right now is the fact that most of the games I play will be imports and I want to see what the Japanese PSN shop will do with some of the new releases...

I'm ALMOST there...

gcubed

Leo the 3rd said:
Yeah, you can put some on the built-in memory and some on the Micro stick. I tend to put demos, music and movies on the Micro and the games on the internal memory. Haven't notice any adverse affects with loading games from either one.

the only drawback i've seen is that senseme wont work with music on the stick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom