• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quebec provincial election

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucard

Banned
Anyone else watching the incoming results on CBC? Looking like a PQ minority right now. Not sure how I feel about this.

Hate how CBC is saying "it's over" with thousands of polls left to count.

Go Liberal mobsters! Beat the Quebec xenophobes! *stereotypical response*

Acid08

Banned
I was in Montreal and Quebec City this summer, saw a lot of graffiti on the political signs. Seems like people are pissed.

Kurtofan

Is the PQ minority any good?
Is it socially progressive/conservative?

Wikipedia says they're Center left and social democrats (socially liberal and economically centrists)

They're also for the independence of Quebec, which I guess is why it ruffles some feathers.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
And probably help start a brain drain.

Education has to have as low of a cost as possible. There are ways to limit abuse of the system, and really any sort of abuse would be limited to an extremely small minority even in a free system.

I don't think the PQ will do enough on that front. At least they will roll back the fee hike, but they will index it to inflation or some such. I think efforts need to be done to control wasteful spending by universities. There is a HUGE amount of corruption going on there. A McGill rector got a $1 million interest-free loan to buy himself a condo. In the 70s the UDM rector wanted a higher ceiling to a large room where his desk was but engineers said it was impossible to raise it further, there was nothing above it, so he had them lower the floor. He was also getting truck-loads of deliveries of alcohol to his house every week, in secret. Etc. All on the university's payroll.

Very little has been done on that end. It's similar to how things are done on Wall Street. Same mentality. They go around the world, see the offices of other rectors, and then want to show off by having equally as good or better. There's no serious oversight of spending.

Meanwhile students have to pay more and more to get access to something that actually benefits the whole economy the more people have access to it.

It's profit for the greedy at the detriment of profit for society at large.

The whole "you'll pay higher taxes" thing is a typical anti-public-education red herring.

At least they are supposed to do some big meeting with 30% of the seats for student bodies to establish the next-steps to be taken to address the above. We'll see how that goes. Being in a minority government at least might push the PQ to take this more seriously.

Wikipedia says they're Center left and social democrats (socially liberal and economically centrists)

They're also for the independence of Quebec, which I guess is why it ruffles some feathers.

They don't sound too bad then, but I guess seeking independence might not vibe well with everyone. Does the Quebecians want it though?

They don't sound too bad then, but I guess seeking independence might not vibe well with everyone. Does the Quebecians want it though?

depends who you ask. majority no (they lost everytime a vote was put in place). i think its mainly the older generation who want it now

Sneds

There was an interesting article in The Guardian on Friday about the success of the student movements in Quebec and what can be learnt from the movement:

'‎Sustained action over tuition fees helped defeat Quebec's Liberal government by appealing to a wide movement for change ... Classe intends to keep the pressure on, with new assemblies and protests, aiming to build the widest possible movement to challenge neoliberalism. British students should take the hint.'

There was an interesting article in The Guardian on Friday about the success of the student movements in Quebec and what can be learnt from the movement:

'‎Sustained action over tuition fees helped defeat Quebec's Liberal government by appealing to a wide movement for change ... Classe intends to keep the pressure on, with new assemblies and protests, aiming to build the widest possible movement to challenge neoliberalism. British students should take the hint.'

I really don't think the student movement was as big of a factor as that article implies. People in Quebec were so sick of the Liberals corruption that they were likely going to be outed anyways. If anything, I'm actually surprised the PLQ did as well as they did in Montreal - they almost swept the entire island + Laval except for nine seats.

Sneds

I really don't think the student movement was as big of a factor as that article implies. People in Quebec were so sick of the Liberals corruption that they were likely going to be outed anyways. If anything, I'm actually surprised the PLQ did as well as they did in Montreal - they almost swept the entire island + Laval except for nine seats.

Ah, okay. Although it still seems impressive that 'Two members of the leftist student group, Québec Solidaire, have been elected, and the party gained more than 6% of the popular vote.' Especially from a British perspective, as out student protests have ended in abject failure.

Ah, okay. Although it still seems impressive that 'Two members of the leftist student group, Québec Solidaire, have been elected, and the party gained more than 6% of the popular vote.' Especially from a British perspective, as out student protests have ended in abject failure.

Yeah but if you look at the electoral map, the area that those MNA's were elected in was in Montreal's Plateau and Mile End neighbourhoods - these neighbourhoods are mostly filled with full time students, artists, musicians and professors - the people most likely to support Quebec Solidaire anyways. Quebec Solidaire had very little chance of getting a seat outside of those two specific areas of Montreal.

Quebec Solidaire has very little appeal to people over the age of 25 IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom