• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis |OT| Dark Fantasy Anime Epic Funded By F2P Success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Rage of Bahamut 5

ibytQgogdEGO55.jpg
i6NUaeUIY8QU2.jpg

iWubbh7tH7Qli.jpg
iGqqoPm7lbfHI.jpg

Some unintended Arjuna and Glass Fleet references in this episode.

I love how much happens in every episode of this show without it feeling rushed. Curious what the guy with the necklace's role in the story is.

Crocodile

Bahamut - Genesis 5

I wish the production values were as good as they were back in episode 1 and the sound was a bit off in places but otherwise this was a great episode. Every episode so far has felt like it could be its own (or half of a) Hollywood movie and this episode was no different.

I don't know if its because the writing is so strong or just that writing in most other anime is so SHIT, but I REALLY appreciate that every time I'm left to wonder "why did that happen?", "how does X know Y", etc. the show always has a logical, sensical answer waiting in the wings. I also think they are doing a great job of weaving the going-ons of the world at large into the lives and narrative of Favaro et al. It doesn't feel ham-fisted but rather smooth and logical. Favaro and Kaiser do need to have a pow-wow soon to clear the air between them - its about time for the team up to begin in earnest.

I do wonder if Cerebrus is ever going to do anything but lounge around in her underwear though :p

Rage of Bahamut episode 5
Another amazing episode. Somebody joked about Kaisar having no intelligence or agility points in his character, and they might be right. But the rest of his points are entirely on strength and jesus christ he is terrifying. The fight was great as short as it was, the shockwaves added a nice effect and worked as a visual representation of his rage and strength. But god damn man, even the demons were entertained by your jumping to conclusions and simple-mindedness.

Favaro getting serious is great but I assume he decided to go rescue them because
he feels guilty about getting Kaisar's dad killed and wants to rescue Amira. Which yeah proves that he's a scumbag with a heart of gold and probably didn't entirely cause Kaisar's dad's death
. The action was very epic at the end, best word to describe it with and looks like Jeanne D'Arc and the Orlesian knights finally have a role in the show that isn't wholy separated from the rest of the characters. Looking forward to the crew possibly meeting them later. It's nice to see that demons aren't these unbeatable beings either.

Over-all a very strong episode to show the resolve and ingenious/clever/sly nature of Favaro and the tenacity/strength of Kaisar when he gets serious. I really do hope that next episode
they finally clear the air on what happened back then and start to work together as allies for Amira, as at least now Favaro has heard that Kaisar thinks he's the reason for the death of his dad. I'm sure the truth isn't so black and white

Yeah. Unless the show drops the ball on the second half this is AOTS for me.

duckroll

Every week after Bahamut airs in Japan, they have a radio program on Niconico where the director and staff on the show joke around and talk about production stuff. This week among other things they commented on the low level of exposition on the show. They feel that anime these days relies on exposition way too much, and they prefer to explain things using the visuals and showing people how things work. Sick burn.

Every week after Bahamut airs in Japan, they have a radio program on Niconico where the director and staff on the show joke around and talk about production stuff. This week among other things they commented on the low level of exposition on the show. They feel that anime these days relies on exposition way too much, and they prefer to explain things using the visuals and showing people how things work. Sick burn.

"Good morning maternal grandfather"

"Slow down Mako-kun, ever since your parents died and you became the coolest kid in the school you are always in a hurry"

"I have to grandpa. Today is the day I become a mech rider to fight the invading Mars aliens, which started to invade earth ever since the queen died during her first visit"

"Just remember to say hi to your childhood friend on your way out, you know she wakes you up every day to go to class, like that one time you saved her from the accident"

duckroll

"Good morning maternal grandfather"

"Slow down Mako-kun, ever since your parents died and you became the coolest kid in the school you are always in a hurry"

"I have to grandpa. Today is the day I become a mech rider to fight the invading Mars aliens, which started to invade earth ever since the queen died during her first visit"

"Just remember to say hi to your childhood friend on your way out, you know she wakes you up every day to go to class, like that one time you saved her from the accident"

Yeah I really like the fact that the only reason characters in the show would talk about something in their past is either if they're telling it to someone who wouldn't know anything about them, or reuniting with someone they haven't seen in a long time and reminiscing. The fact that Favaro and Kaiser have never had any reason to go out of their way to detail what went bad between them to each other makes their relationship much more believable.

I love the show for it. And it isn't as nonsensical as Gundam Recon G so far is.

sonicmj1

Episode 5

While the episode-opening flashes to the world of gods and whatever lack the energy of everything else, I like how that world-scale plot is intersecting with the adventures of our heroes. They're getting involved not out of responding to some greater call, but because of personal stakes that matter to them. It's not rocket science, but it's good storytelling. Now I'm interested to see what happens once the Orleans Army catches up to Amira.

The action in the show continues to be excellent. The fight between Favaro and Kaisar is the clear highlight, but it's a measure of the show's budget that they could do a pretty damn good encounter against skeletons guarding the ship in the middle of Rita's questioning of Favaro. Action scenes can be grand climaxes, but they also keep the pacing moving forward. Just as the characters don't need to stop and waste time, neither does the story.

As silly as Cerberus's design is, her two bloodthirsty hand-puppets are kind of growing on me.

Bahamut 05

Lot of well done exposition to be seen in this episode. The revelation about Favaro and the demon dude the show has been focusing on lately actually kinda surprised me. I didn't think he would end up that important to the plot. Also glad to see Favaro goes off the deep end when he put two and two together regarding what the demon guy told him and him showing them what his 'true' form looked like. Rita was of course the star of the episode but that goes without saying.

Also it sounds totally stupid but I was really interested that when they cut off the gate to stop the demons it actually wounded the thing they were travelling on which I never realized was an actual creature and not some weird demon ship.

fertygo

Err.. they not realizing they doing exactly that in eps 3-4?

duckroll

Since they announced the Japanese blu-ray releases on Monday, the pre-orders on Amazon Japan have been climbing the charts. After less than 3 days, the first volume has been sitting on the #1 bestsellers list all day today on Amazon. :D

Err.. they not realizing they doing exactly that in eps 3-4?

Let's not confuse character flashbacks and back stories with general exposition. Stuff that slow shows down the most are unneeded general exposition like characters stopping to explain to each other how things work or what the rules of the world are, when they're already living in the world and should know these things normally.

The show doesn't explain how or why the bounty hunter bracelets work for example, because they don't need to. They just need characters to recognize the bracelet and comment that Favaro is a bounty hunter. This informs the audience of what that piece of equipment means to the people of the world. When the gem glows when demons are nearby, that shows the audience what it does.

Kaiser freaking out at Favarro every episode is getting pretty old. Wish they'd just settle it already.

His best scenes are all of the ones where it was just him and what's her face necromancer. Where he's completely calm. I really do hope they fix their differences soon. I applaud the writers for sticking with very old tropes and making the dumb honorable strong knight, but if these two don't fucking talk in the next episode or two and just continue to scream at each other that'll be the biggest negative of the show for me. Let's hope they prove me wrong.

Unless they get a scene where they're in a jail cell and are forced to talk I don't see them finally clearing the air though. Which has become a bit frustrating. Kaisar doesn't want an explanation he just wants to attack, and Favaro refuses to clear the air for some reason.

duckroll

Episode 6

This was definitely a weaker episode than the norm. There's a lot of talkie stuff with uneven quality, although a lot of it felt necessary to put the actual setting in the forefront now that the characters are directly part of it. I liked the conversation Favaro had with Jeanne. It seems to encapsulate the tone of the show really well - there's this big fantasy world with lots of fantasy rules and cliches, but the main character doesn't really care to be part of it, yet he gets dragged deeper and deeper in against his will. Hopefully the second half of the show tackles this head-on. I would hate to see Favaro just resign himself to being a "hero" for the sake of it. He's more than that and that's what makes the show more interesting than a typical fantasy epic.

Whatever the case is, we're going to have to wait a bit longer than usual. Even though this ended in a big cliffhanger, next week's episode is a recap. The show has 13 slots booked on all channels, but it only has 12 episodes, so this should have been expected I guess. :)

P.S.
Yesssssss zombie rocket punch returns! And this time it combos with a zombie rocket slap too! Fuck yeah! <3

phaze

Episode 6

P.S.
Yesssssss zombie rocket punch returns! And this time it combos with a zombie rocket slap too! Fuck yeah! <3

She's the best character after all.

I liked the episode, well outside of the sudden Amira drama and the contrived way they were captured but still got to walk around the palace freely. It might not have been as action packed at its predecessor but I think it did well to show the fallout from the events of previous episodes and established some important lore facts for the future. Joan has grown on me, I too really liked her scene with Favaro. (Though the opening seems like a giant spoiler now.)

Jarmel

Banned
Bahamut-6

Sort of a boring episode and the production values took a hit. Not that big of a deal as long as the recap allows them to get everything back in order for the rest of the season.

Oh and Favaro is obviously the chosen hero.

Link Man

Banned
Bahamut-6

Sort of a boring episode and the production values took a hit. Not that big of a deal as long as the recap allows them to get everything back in order for the rest of the season.

Really bothered by how Azazel seems to just slide across the screen.

JDSN

Banned
Wow, this show has no business being this good, even as I kid I could tell when crap was produced to sell me new shit and it always felts jarring, I never even liked Transformers but this show is great. I dont even know what product are they trying to pitch between the lines? Card games? Board game? Who cares?!

Crocodile

Bahamut Genesis 6

This episode was a bit of a tease. I feel every time a "bomb" was about to be dropped it got interrupted. I guess I should have seen this coming as this was Part I of a two parter. I hope they don't save the "air clearing" between Favaro and Kaiser until the end of the series. Overall though this still did a good job of introducing all the major players (including who looks to be the Big Bad) and getting everybody up to speed onto the looming threat. Also Rita continues to be the best - her Rocket Punches will never stop being funny.

Bahamut-6

I mean, isn't it obvious now that
Amira
is the "hero"?

Rage of Bahamut 6

Ok episode. It seemed like Favaro and Kaisar were having fun like they used to. Rita's personality at this point seems to be the foil to the silliness of Favaro and Kaisar. Amira continues to be a child in a woman's body. Jeanne d'Arc doesn't really strike me as much of a character so far hopefully she's expanded upon. Favaro's sleaziness continues to be incredibly entertaining. I'm surprised at Kaisar's change in attitude this episode, he really is honorable and simple minded to a fault.

Can't say I find the need for a recap episode. But I guess they wanted to be scheduled for 13 episodes? I don't know.

Episode 6

Pretty dull with the "plot" at the forefront, I guess this is the budget saving episode. Jeanne has the potential to be interesting, which is better than Saber ever could be.

sonicmj1

Episode 6

While this episode wasn't as adventurous, I generally like how the angels and demons plot is mixing itself with our heroes' stories. Favaro's groveling at the mercy of the angels, or his exchange with Jeanne, keeps the mood pretty steady even with all this talk of world-ending apocalypse, and makes me confident that the show will stay fun no matter where the plot goes if these characters go with it. With Jeanne, I like that even when the show is pretty much expositing about this prophecy that will undoubtedly be important later, it's also telling us a lot about how Jeanne sees her role, about where she comes from and what she wants. Conversations serve multiple purposes.

A lot of people seem annoyed at Favaro's reluctance to clear the air with Kaisar, but I kind of like how he relishes his role as heel. It's definitely driven Kaisar to places he'd never have gone otherwise.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I have to say rage of bahamut is a great anime. Even these quiet "plot" episodes are able to squeeze in some gorgeous action and comedy.

Caj814

Next episode is seriously a recap?! I thought these shorter anime seasons was a way to prevent recaps from happening!

duckroll

I think this might be one of the first 13 episode anime I've seen with a recap.

Technically it's a 12 episode show. The recap doesn't count, it's just something they planned for the TV run because there were 13 slots to fill.

At least this was pre-planned, because on the other hand... Girls und Panzer is a 12 episode show which had 2 recaps because production was behind schedule and the final two episodes ended airing months later! And that was just last year!

Philippo

Average episode.

I like how Favaro keeps being a total selfish jerk.

Also, both Angels and Demons design keeps being horrible.

And why is Lucifer the god of demons while the god of angels is Zeus, and not God? Seems like a weird mix up.

Is Funimation's site still totally shitty? I usually stream their stuff through Hulu because last time I had an account with Funi, videos didn't load on their site. Wish Hulu didn't have commercials though :\

Edit:

Wow, I completely confused this show with Lord Marksman and Vanadis. I watched the first episode of that and was going "wtf, sure it's a cool setting but man this is just fanservice harem bullshit!" Then I came back here to bitch about it and realized I watched the wrong show.

duckroll

Episode 7

I'm glad the show is back, but this episode would really have been much more effective if it came out last week instead. It feels like the momentum in the two parter is lost somewhat with the break.

That aside, I found the episode a little iffy. The first half is much better than the second half. There's some really nice effects animation in the war scenes, but at the same time the character fights in the later part of the episode felt off. The timing in the movements feel stretched out, the way some scenes flow feel awkward. It's a substantial step down from the way action usually feels on this show, especially compared to similar melee action in episode 5. It was nice to see Favaro and Kaiser work together though.

In terms of writing the episode felt underwhelming too. It's less sharp, and it feels very much like an unnecessarily extended conclusion to the previous episode. If there was a bit more content in the episode it would have flowed better I think. Instead it feels like a lot of the scenes were being padded just to meet the runtime of a normal episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom