• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rage of Bahamut: Genesis |OT| Dark Fantasy Anime Epic Funded By F2P Success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished.

Overall, I think they did a really good job with it. It could have been structured a little smoother and the background plots could have been more interesting would be my only complaints. They kept pretty focused on the the journey for the chars and kept it moving well though. It had the action necessary but perhaps not the action we would really want. That's outside the scope of 12 episodes though, I think. It's a really hard format to write for and being able to get that much right is a near miracle for most shows.

The fact it was 1 instead of 2 cour really limited the show to explore the more dungeons and dragons-friendly episodes. If we could've had twice the episodes the angels vs demons plot wouldn't have reared its ugly head as fast and imho we would've had a better show for it.

I don't normally think this, but this show really did need to be 2 cours.
They did have a sequel tease at the end but I'm not falling for that, not again. Not after Panty and Stocking.

Shouta

The show probably would've been long in the tooth by the end of 24/26 episodes. I'm personally OK with the current length or at least include 1 more episode to give a bit more breathing room.

Moaradin

Pretty strong finish to a strong show. The angels and demon stuff did weaken it a little bit, but I still thought it was very good. One of the better shows this season.

duckroll

Episode 11-12 (End)

That was pretty good! It's true that the show lost some steam after the mid-point when it stopped being about Favaro and Kaiser having crazy random adventures in every episode, but I think it was still pretty entertaining all the way through. There's a lot of action, the art direction is fantastic, and it delivers as a large scale fantasy adventure. Some things could have been developed better - especially the relationships between the angels and demons. Ultimately they felt very much like plot devices rather than actual characters. Better development would have made the Jeanne arc feel much stronger too.

The direction and animation in the final episode was really fantastic. Really nice effects, and I loved that scene where they were flying up on Bahamut, and there were several cuts where Bahamut wasn't even CG but pure hand drawn background animation. Really nice stuff. The fight between Favaro and Kaiser was really solid, definitely the best stuff we've seen since the early episodes. The music throughout the entire series was superb too, probably the most consistent thing in the entire show.

All in all I think this was a really enjoyable action adventure series with really high production values. Definitely not what one would usually expect from a show spawned from a f2p digital card game. Hope it's successful enough for another season in the future. I wouldn't mind more Favaro adventures!

Xenex

Goodbye Lady Amira :'( ...

I enjoyed the series from beginning to end, I'm definitely hoping for a season 2.

Rage of Bahamut: End

Let me reiterate for the sake of completion that the show started out very strong, stumbled a bin in the middle, and the main angels vs demon plot brought it down. Coincidentally while the final episode was great for the most part it could have used a better resolution. Because we're not going to get a sequel so leaving it open to more adventures is nice and all if we had a guaranteed next series. But we don't and probably won't so instead we're left with questions as we get less than a two minute glimpse at a "where are they now".

I'd give the show a solid 8/10 Woofs. I was considering a bit higher or lower but glorious PS2 CG dragons and birds are both a good and a bad thing so I settled in the middle.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Finally got around to finishing this. The start of this series was fantastic, but it got real strange about mid-way through and really didn't improve until the end.

Unfortunately by then, there wasn't enough time to really clean itself up. I hope we get another series, though. Less angels and demons, more bounty hunting please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom