• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAINWAY announced: Third party eShop app for streaming PC games to your Switch

Putosaure

Can't wait to play Skyrim; Lego City Undercover, Shovel Knight, Redout via streaming instead of buying them full price for the system !

Seriously, this would be awesome for games like Rocket League and other PC high-end games.

ramparter

Banned
I can't see Nintendo allowing this. I just can't.
Yeah on one hand one might say it only raies the console's value on the other hand people may opt to buy games on steam and play them on Switch. Still I believe it's better to have them on Switch for the portability and people would use mainly for games not available on the system. Nintendo will probably not see it that way though.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Yeah, I'll believe it when it's out. Can't see Nintendo allowing it.

Anteater

this is amazing, i've always wanted something like that for the ps3 or something since it's in my living room and I don't want to buy steamlink and hooking up for it, switch sounds even better

ggx2ac

It was interesting that no one noticed this back in the middle of March.

http://gameranx.com/updates/id/9885...-lets-you-play-pc-games-on-nearly-any-device/

Rainway’s signature feature is that it is available on any device with a web browser. These include tablets, phones, and other PCs such as Mac and Linux. You only need to visit play.rainway.io, log in, and play your favorite games. Native apps for Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox, and other platforms are being developed to provide an even more seamless experience.

It is compatible also with practically any modern PC. You do not need to purchase any additional hardware and Rainway is completely free of charge for life. The only technological requirements are that the hosting PC must be DirectX 11 compatible The Rainway MSG protocol is able to stream games from the host PC to other devices at 60 FPS.

You can pre-register today to ensure that you are included in the May 5th beta if you are interested in giving Rainway a try.

You can also follow their brand new social media accounts. On Twitter – @RainwayApp, and on Facebook – RainwayApp.

Now I'm wondering if he got a Switch dev-kit? I thought this would have cost something to be able to run via a web browser and that he is putting it on Switch.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I have a Linx Vision.

It's like a Switch but not designed by people who have heard of ergonomic design.

That works very well for PC-Tablet streaming via Steam. If this actually comes to fruition it'll be mega as the Switch has the power to easily do this.

Hell, that would be a reason for me to jump on board as frankly, portable PC gaming is a godsend.

DocSeuss

Do you think Microsoft is going to love the idea of their PC titles being played on Nintendo Switch? Or that indie developers are going to like the idea of them working to port a title from PC/Android/Xbox to Switch and everyone just streams it anyway? That's not even getting into what happens if people use it to stream Emulators, or the shear number of exploits it opens the Nintendo Switch up to. If there's a way to stream SNES games you already own to the Switch are you even going to bother using their VC and paying them for the ability to do so?

There are so many problems with this post...

Do you think Microsoft is going to love the idea of their PC titles being played on Nintendo Switch?

1) Why not? You still bought the software and the hardware and have to use their ecosystem. They lose nothing. Microsoft is the company that lets all sorts of crazy stuff happen in their ecosystem. It's a big part of the reason that Windows did so much better than Mac OS back when PCs were becoming a thing.

Or that indie developers are going to like the idea of them working to port a title from PC/Android/Xbox to Switch and everyone just streams it anyway?

2) Man, if someone buys your game, they've bought you're game. I'm extremely unlikely to go buy a second copy of Stardew Valley for the Switch. I might stream it, and that would be cool, but I'm not likely to buy two copies of the game, and this software isn't going to convert a lot of double dippers into single dippers.

ffs, double dipping is fairly rare as is.

That's not even getting into what happens if people use it to stream Emulators

3) This may be of some concern to people.

I can stream emulated games on my Steam Link and nobody's complained, though.

or the shear number of exploits it opens the Nintendo Switch up to.

4) Why would it open the Switch up to exploits any more than any other piece of software?

If there's a way to stream SNES games you already own to the Switch are you even going to bother using their VC and paying them for the ability to do so?

5) This only works for in-home streaming. So if you wanna play those games on the go, well, good luck with that. You'll have to buy copies from Nintendo.

Plus, the amount of people who might do this is Extremely Low. Most people, given a 'legit' option (this makes it sound like emulators are not legit, which isn't what I mean, since emulators are completely legal), will take the path of least resistance. Meaning most people will buy direct from Nintendo regardless.

But this is a moot point because the Switch doesn't even have SNES VC last I looked.

And they're a really garbage company for not bringing all my VC purchases forward, but that's a different discussion.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think people might be massively overestimating the appeal, usability, and stability of desktop streaming for a gaming device like this. It's super cool, but a vast majority of people won't care to invest in the effort in either setting it up or purchasing capable PC hardware. It's not a magic access to software, it's still almost exclusively dependant on having PC hardware up to scratch, owning the software on PC, and a stable LAN or internet connection.

Nintendo might stomp on it, but I almost feel they'd so primarily to curb risks of exploits or something like that. In reality, desktop streaming while cool is also pretty simple in function, but strictly limited by latency. You're going to use a ton of data through the WIFI network, and your feed quality and input latency will be felt if the connection isn't strong (best used for home LAN). And the controller emulation is hardly going to guarantee full compatibility with every game.

Game streaming services already exist and haven't monopolised the market by any stretch of the imagination. This is a home version of the exact same thing.

EDIT: If it ends up coming to fruition and allows for mostly full remote desktop use, one of the coolest features wouldn't be just games, but using it for streaming other data like movies and television. You could, in theory, boot NETFLIX through a PC browser and watch it on your Switch.

Nzyme32

PCGAF: "Give me 120fps or give me death"
Industry: "How about a way to play your games with inherent latency?"
PCGAF: "Excite!"

Puzzling.

That said, the point is moot as this will never see the light of day on Switch outside of homebrew firmware.

Except pathetic and sweeping generalisations like this are obviously not puzzling at all since the ambiguous "PCGAF" is obviously not a single entity in unison

Some only want extremely high fps, some don't mind as long as it is above a certain point, some want the highest IQ, some don't mind a bit of latency, others do...

"ConsoleGAF consistently generalising" runs into the same issue

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I think people might be massively overestimating the appeal, usability, and stability of desktop streaming for a gaming device like this. It's super cool, but a vast majority of people won't care to invest in the effort in either setting it up or purchasing capable PC hardware. It's not a magic access to software, it's still almost exclusively dependant on having PC hardware up to scratch, owning the software on PC, and a stable LAN or internet connection.

Nintendo might stomp on it, but I almost feel they'd so primarily to curb risks of exploits or something like that. In reality, desktop streaming while cool is also pretty simple in function, but strictly limited by latency. You're going to use a ton of data through the WIFI network, and your feed quality and input latency will be felt if the connection isn't strong (best used for home LAN). And the controller emulation is hardly going to guarantee full compatibility with every game.

Game streaming services already exist and haven't monopolised the market by any stretch of the imagination. This is a home version of the exact same thing.

EDIT: If it ends up coming to fruition and allows for mostly full remote desktop use, one of the coolest features wouldn't be just games, but using it for streaming other data like movies and television. You could, in theory, boot NETFLIX through a PC browser and watch it on your Switch.

I only use In home streaming on Steam and a few hiccups aside (solved by enabling QoS on my router) it works great on lesser hardware.

I wouldn't make much use of this remotely but as an in home solution this is perfect. Latency honestly is no problem too and I am a stickler for lag. If an underpowered Z8300 based tablet can manage this, so can the Switch.

I know I'm not a typical user though as I have a decent PC and access to a 2,000+ game Steam library between me and my partner.

SomTervo

This is literally dream-tier

What

What

I've been thinking about it since I got my Switch

what

I think people might be massively overestimating the appeal, usability, and stability of desktop streaming for a gaming device like this. It's super cool, but a vast majority of people won't care to invest in the effort in either setting it up or purchasing capable PC hardware.

It's pretty much only useful to people who already have decent PCs that they do a decent amount of gaming on.

That said, there are plenty of very cheap and easy to run indie games on PC that don't need KBM and could basically explode the Switch's library.

Even if they do this this only works when you're in close proximity to your computer? Or you just need internet?

Chances are it'll be mainly viable when you're at home, going through the same router as your PC.

That said, if you can get lucky through wi-fi or good networks elsewhere then you may get lucky with latency and stuff will be playable.

Mainly depends what you want to play. For point and click or puzzle games you'll probably be fine playing anywhere; for twitch or action games the latency will probably kill it.

Edit: basing this on remote play on other devices

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nintendo and MS are really smart, Sony was too stupid to do the same with Vita and still is since this isn't coming to ps4.

Teppic

Depending how well it works this would make me buy a Switch. I really want a good handheld streaming device for PC games. Only minus is input lag and no dpad, but a device just for visual novels appeals to me too.

8bit

Knows the Score
So could someone play Zelda via this through running Dolphin on the host PC(or indeed any other emulator)?

Piccoro

So, will we be able to use the Switch's physical buttons to play PC games?
Also, will this work outside the house like the PS4-Vita remote play, or will it be on our local network only?

oti

Banned
Sounds very interesting. Although, the performance has to be spot on for it to be a great way to play Steam games. The custom controller layouts could be another hassle too. Vita streaming was a great idea but the execution killed it for me in the end.
Nice. If this runs well i'll never have to buy anything but first party games on my switch.
And this is why it won't happen. What I'd like to see would be Steam + Switch bundles. Pay 5€ extra and you get a Switch code as well, something like that. But that's up to each developer.

True Fire

I can't see Nintendo allowing this. It would render virtual console pointless and would hurt Indie devs and their 20 dollar ports.

I can't see Nintendo allowing this. It would render virtual console pointless and would hurt Indie devs and their 20 dollar ports.

Streaming tech does not render VC obsolete at all. I travel a LOT and am very often without a good enough internet connection for remote play. And there are lots of times where I have a switch or vita and no internet connection period.

Trojan

I would love this because I travel a lot, but this feels like a perfect example of when Nintendo would swoop in. Their track record on shutting down anything that can circumvent or root their network is pretty clear. Even though streaming is somewhat innocuous, even the perception of running things on a Switch that aren't available on the eShop would probably bother them enough to intervene.

funo

I'm 100% certain on three things regarding this:

1) I would love to have this on the Switch and would pay a good price if they decided to sell it on the eShop
2) This will never, ever be available on the official eShop in its current form
3) The reaction thread when their eShop application inevitably gets rejected will be glorious

300% this

would love for this to be true, will never be available on the official Switch eshop

Cerium

I would love this because I travel a lot, but this feels like a perfect example of when Nintendo would swoop in. Their track record on shutting down anything that can circumvent or root their network is pretty clear.
All Nintendo would have to do is say "no."

So he either has their approval, or he's basically lying.

Only way I see this happening is if they somehow filter out being able to stream games that are on the switch which idk how they would do that.

Everyone who has a gaming PC and a Switch is already potentially playing the multiplat indie titles on PC. Everyone who hasn't got a PC and has a Switch will not suddenly buy a gaming PC. The same applies to Virtual Console, really, though based on its previous implementations it could use enhancements.

That said I am really surprised this thing apparently got allowed. If so, why didn't I hear of Switch getting an indie media player yet?

oti

Banned
I would love this because I travel a lot, but this feels like a perfect example of when Nintendo would swoop in. Their track record on shutting down anything that can circumvent or root their network is pretty clear. Even though streaming is somewhat innocuous, even the perception of running things on a Switch that aren't available on the eShop would probably bother them enough to intervene.

You underestimate the implications of this App. This App would basically allow other platforms to use Nintendo's own hardware. Even if that other platform is the PC it makes literally no sense at all to allow this. Unless Nintendo actually wants to introduce something like this themselves and has set guidelines, this will never happen.

EA Access does this to a degree and Sony said no as well. MS said "screw it, all our games are on PC too anyway and we need EA".

ramparter

Banned
I'm 100% certain on three things regarding this:

1) I would love to have this on the Switch and would pay a good price if they decided to sell it on the eShop
2) This will never, ever be available on the official eShop in its current form
3) The reaction thread when their eShop application inevitably gets rejected will be glorious

Maybe but tell me would you rather buy the same game on steam rather than eshop just to save a few bucks? Because obviously streaming wont give you the same experience as playing on the device itself.

Nev

Banned
This is the biggest system seller they could have. That's why it will absolutely not happen.

You guys are delusional if you think Nintendo is going to allow something as good as this.

oti

Banned
This is the biggest system seller they could have. That's why it will absolutely not happen.

You guys are delusional if you think Nintendo is going to allow something as good as this.

This doesn't make any sense for any company.

The only and totally unrealistic way this could happen would be if Nintendo cooperated with Steam to set guidelines regarding pricing, revenue share, limitations and royalties.

Hermii

Streaming to a handheld is understandable, but why would I stream games to stationary console?
If you got both the pc and the Xbox connected with Ethernet you got very little latency, and if your pc is powerful you can already get Scorpio graphics on your Xbox one. Not to mention your entire steam library.

Piccoro

Even if Nintendo removes this from the eShop, Rainway will still be accessible through the web browser, (whenever Nintendo decides to release the browser on Switch).

elyetis

PCGAF: "Give me 120fps or give me death"
Industry: "How about a way to play your games with inherent latency?"
PCGAF: "Excite!"

Puzzling.

That said, the point is moot as this will never see the light of day on Switch outside of homebrew firmware.
I want uncapped framerate, and all the fancy things on the PC games I buy, yet it doesn't mean I'm not willing to sacrifice some of them for specific situation ( like say playing lego games coop online with Moonlight Game Streaming ).

Same situation there.

MUnited83

For you.
Ah, I guess we'll see what happens then. I mean, even Netflix hasn't said anything about the Switch! :/
Actually they did. IGN Brasil visited Netflix headquarters and asked about it. Basically, Netflix is watching the sales performance and the demand for Netflix on it before making a app.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Yea this is always the key.

That said, with it being a Nintendo device it makes all this a lil huge if it happens. Officially without modding.

Top Bottom