• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Ash Kickstarter: Playable Pre-Alpha Protoype released! (Install or Unity Browser)

Credit to Cmagus for posting this in the main thread.

Take this more as a playable glimpse into the development of the game. This IS NOT a barometer of the final gameplay or quality to expect from the end product.

apFje3o.jpg

New update:

They released a mock up you can play with

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/red-ash-the-indelible-legend/posts/1307222

Unity web version:

http://redashgame.com/prototype/WebPlayer.html

I can't try it right now I'm not home but it's cool of them to release this.

The (very rudimentary) controls are as follows:

Left and Right Arrow keys move you left and right of course, while the Up and Down Keys move you Forward and Backward.

Camera = A/Look Right, D/Look Left, W/Look Down, S/Look Up

Talk = Z

Kick = X

Jump = Space

Fire 3 = Shift Left (I can't get this to work, but it's listed as a control in the Installed version)

You can also choose the language in the title screen. There are a handful of easter eggs around!

While I don't know if this will earn back any of the lost favor from the miscommunication and ambiguities plaguing this kickstarter, I'm blown away that they would open up this playable piece of development for the public to toy with. To my knowledge, this is a first for a Kickstarter to do for a game before the funding period has even ended. So behold, the closest, roughest playable "Legends" game we've ever gotten in 16 years.

FelipeMGM

Wow, these guys are desperate.

But its a great push for the Kickstarter. Maybe if this and the PS4 port thing were there from the start

EDIT: Played. Its not a great push for the Kickstarter. Close it and relaunch with a better build.

So this is the little teaser they showed with MN9 models but playable, right?

Man, I wish they would've cancelled the project and tried again in a better climate. Between all the huge KSs that just happened, the backlash against MN9, them not having released their first project yet, a badly run kickstarter, running another KS for an 150k anime short at the same time and something else I'm sure I'm forgetting they literally could not have handled this any worse than they did. Even taking out the MML connection the concept art and characters have a charm to them and I'd like to see them in a fully fleshed out game. But it's looking pretty bleak, and it's really hard to feel bad for Comcept as a result.

Toki767

I don't know if people just never tried this or absolutely just have no interest in this kickstarter anymore, but funding didn't really increase at all.

Damo1234

Neo Member
i love megaman legends

But have no respect for the people that made it, apparently.

I don't know if people just never tried this or absolutely just have no interest in this kickstarter anymore, but funding didn't really increase at all.

It just came out a little over an hour ago and hasn't been reported anywhere significant yet. Bit early to say if it'll have any impact.

This is shite and i love megaman legends

Uhh.

Of course it is. You realize this acts as more of a glimpse into development over LOOK AT HOW THE FINISHED PRODUCT WILL BE!! A glimpse into development that we actually get to be hands on with? How rare is that? Posts like yours are the reason we can't get inside looks to this extent.

Fraeon

Uhh.

Of course it is. You realize this acts as more of a glimpse into development over LOOK AT HOW THE FINISHED PRODUCT WILL BE!! A glimpse into development that we actually get to be hands on with? How rare is that? Posts like yours are the reason we can't get inside looks to this extent.

It's pretty rare but it also serves as a showcase of how it's not really wise to show playable stuff this early.

I mean, I wasn't interested in the first place but if I was, this sure would dampen my interest quite a bit.

Uhh.

There's a reason why you don't show this stuff.

sn00zer

Woooow....damn this looks like something someone did in a weekend.

JUST CANCEL THE KICKSTARTER AND RELAUNCH IN 3 MONTHS PLEASE

DNAbro

Weird. You can find and control the Red Ash Beck in it. why the hell did they start you out with that? you know the character of the game the prototype is based on.

Damo1234

Neo Member
You dont show early stuff like this as a way to try and get people onboard with your project. They didnt even nail the movement right.

For calling out a poor decision when I see one?

For showing no faith in a group of devs that includes people that helped make Legends. For saying that their resumes aren't good enough for you to believe they can make a game in the mold of a game they helped make. For looking at what they were able to do in a very limited amount of time and writing it off as "shite," while informing us that you're totally a fan of their past work.

J-Skee

Damn, they got desperate. What went wrong with this Kickstarter? I know Kyle Bosman did a video on it, but is that how everyone feels?

For showing no faith in a group of devs that includes people that helped make Legends. For saying that their resumes aren't good enough for you to believe they can make a game in the mold of a game they helped make. For looking at what they were able to do in a very limited amount of time and writing it off as "shite," while informing us that you're totally a fan of their past work.
Thats a whole lotta things I said just for calling out a very weak proof of concept for what it is. You should probably vent that pent up frustration to somewhere else.

Uhh.

No, it looks like more "we shoved some things into Unity as fast as we could so we could say we had a playable prototype."

Yes. If you liked previous work of someone, you must like their future projects no matter what and blindly have faith in them, even when everything you know about a project sounds awful.

Damo1234

Neo Member
Damn, they got desperate. What went wrong with this Kickstarter? I know Kyle Bosman did a video on it, but is that how everyone feels?

The one that said the resumes of the people working on a game aren't really important, and what a kickstarter has to have is a "screw you" factor?

Gotta say, it's a depressing viewpoint.

DNAbro

Launching on July 4th idiotically. Launching 2 kickstarters, one for anime with a 6 minute short at the same time. First goal is barely the whole game they want to make. No console announcements. Inafune's last project still isn't out yet. His last project has controversy and we still don't even know if it's any good. Just concept art. Put up during Shenmue 3 kickstarter.

Where? All I see is Roll

climb up on the beams in the back, you can jump into the wall in the back.

NotLiquid

I'm surprised I haven't seen this kind of excuse leveled in any of the Devil's Third threads.

Nishastra

Banned
I can only say that, personally, after how weird the development of Mighty No 9 has been and how sketchy this kickstarter was out of the gate, I was wary from day one.

Also, I actually want Legends 3, and the problem with a spritual successor is that it's an unrelated story.

Jarmel

Banned
Launching on July 4th idiotically. Launching 2 kickstarters, one for anime with a 6 minute short at the same time. First goal is barely the whole game they want to make. No console announcements. Inafune's last project still isn't out yet. His last project has controversy and we still don't even know if it's any good. Just concept art. Put up during Shenmue 3 kickstarter.

Date was fine although maybe they could have announced a day earlier or later, they wanted the AX press coverage.

Meh..
Was interested, saw the alpha and...
I mean sure, call it pre alpha call it whatever..
If you let people see it, it needs to be decent.. Else rather don't even provide it...
This seems a mockup a group of STUDENT can come up with in little time..

Honestly with the way it's going so far, take this thread as a microcosm of the general consensus on this KS :/

I desperately want it to succeed, but at this point a relaunch seems like the best course of action. The fear is currently that this will be the final "the public has spoken" nail in the coffin in regards to Legends or games like Legends, justifying Capcom's actions, versus the reactions of a mishandled Kickstarter independent from the actual product seeking funding.

Harpuia

The purpose of having a look into the game so early at this point is confusing me. Who wants to play a game in the mere stages of entering development? It's way too early at this point. The only thing that's MML-esque is the fact that the dude can kick. Who wants this, I ask?

Just to show that they're taking this seriously and want to show they actually want to make this is about the only thing I take away from this.

Damo1234

Neo Member
Yes, it's desperate. These are people that have waited years and years for a chance to make another game like this, and they've got a week to raise half the funding. Of course they're desperate. Of course they're showing stuff that normally wouldn't be shown. That's not an astute observation.

That said, this is still considerably more than I've seen many successful kickstarters release.

Bloodstained, two days before that kickstarter ended, gave us basic walking and jumping of the main character on front of a 2D background with vague enemies.

This goes way beyond that. It's still rough pre-alpha work to show off some models, demonstrate that they've been working, and give people an early glimpse at some of their design philosophy, but even something this rough is well above what we normally see from a kickstarter.

Yes. If you liked previous work of someone, you must like their future projects no matter what and blindly have faith in them, even when everything you know about a project sounds awful.

If you're claiming to like a painter's work, it's not very respectful call their prelim sketches "shite". If you like a musician, it's not very respectful to declare "shite" while they're plucking some strings trying to work out a tune. I'm not saying you have to praise it blindly, but looking at very early stuff being released precisely because the artists are watching something they love slip away from them and declaring "shite"? There's a lack of respect toward the people who made the games, yeah.

MoaM

Neo Member
Just another bad kickstarter, to be honest. Mighty No. 9 isn't even out yet and we're supposed to be excited about this too?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Bad idea. As evidenced by this thread people wont understand it is the inevitable result of early development and will think its shit. And i guess it makes sense, dont make something playable if its crap. Never supported this KS anyway because of some of the icky early decisions they made and they definitely paid for it. Also nice to see the KS well isnt endless for people to abuse too much.

If you're claiming to like a painter's work, it's not very respectful call their prelim sketches "shite". If you like a musician, it's not very respectful to declare "shite" while they're plucking some strings trying to work out a tune. I'm not saying you have to praise it blindly, but looking at very early stuff being released precisely because the artists are watching something they love slip away from them and declaring "shite"? There's a lack of respect toward the people who made the games, yeah.
Usually a good painter's sketches look very promising, or a music trying to jam a tune, this shows no potential or ideas outside of trying to stoke some nostalgia old flame. It also speaks very poorly for the team, given their experience, if they thought this was good enough to show.

Kriken

I don't know what Comcept expected from this, it's beyond anything remotely playable and if they wanted to invoke the "Kicking the can" nostalgia, I don't think using fat, stubby Mighty No. 9 Beck is the right call compared to Volnutt

Cmagus

They put it out because people were asking to see more. While rough I still think it's great to see something like this and it's cool to mess around with something we would normally never see it at least they are giving us something.

The concept art and design for this world is awesome it has such a great bright and colourful feel to it and the world is pretty interesting looking.

They've given music samples and have put out some nice interviews with some of the team. While this is clearly early on they've put out more than most kickstarters.

Part of their problem was the confusing messaging at the start but I think now they've done a better job at setting things straight. I pledged and I think I'm gonna keep it as I'm pretty happy with what I'm seeing.

Hopeford

Can't get it to run on the webplayer. For some bizarre reason no matter what I do the camera just gets stuck on spinning around in circles from the top-view even without me touching either my mouse or my keyboard.

EDIT: Oh, apparently it was because I had my DS4 plugged in and that was completely fucking with the camera for some reason.

nynt9

The purpose of having a look into the game so early at this point is confusing me. Who wants to play a game in the mere stages of entering development? It's way too early at this point. The only thing that's MML-esque is the fact that the dude can kick. Who wants this, I ask?

Just to show that they're taking this seriously and want to show they actually want to make this is about the only thing I take away from this.

This is just a desperate grab at backers. This demo is basically a blank Unity thing thrown together in a week or less, has barely anything to do with red ash. It's too far removed from the final product to be meaningful. It's just silly and really thinly veiled.

Dude, this looks crap. There's a reason why we don't usually see games this early in development: because they look crap. You don't have to defend it so vigorously or infer personal insults on the developers based on one offhand comment.

Seems like they spent all their time getting the world, story, areas and concepts of the game. But only started actually working on the game after the Kickstarter started.

Top Bottom