• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Fall 2017, PS4/XB1, Trailer 10/20 @ 11 AM EST) announced

What will ultimately anger people the most about this game?

Results are only viewable after voting.
"I don't like women so women can't do thing and be in game, WAAAAH."

It feels like we've traveled back to 1990's gaming with some of these posts.

Or alternatively, "I don't see woman in poster so game must be all white men WAAAH"

We know nothing about the characters yet. RDR had a great female character who didn't appear in any original press release.

etta

my hard graphic balls
I'm hyped as fuck to see what they've done with the graphics on new gen consoles as it is their first game here.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
would the god father, and Goodfellas be the same it was played by woman? i don't view woman as gangster, it just doesn't fit them and that's just my opinion, 90% of homicides are committed by men, sure there exceptions but generally woman are much nicer and not as any where as violent as men. has there ever been a great movie with female gangsters in the leading role.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_and_Clyde_(film)

?

would the god father, and Goodfellas be the same it was played by woman? i don't view woman as gangster, it just doesn't fit them and that's just my opinion, 90% of homicides are committed by men, sure there exceptions but generally woman are much nicer and not as any where as violent as men. has there ever been a great movie with female gangsters in the leading role.
It would be a different story, but a woman rising to power in a criminal underworld isn't like a fantasy movie or something. You do realize there have been female outlaws, gangsters, serial killers, soldiers, snipers, etc. throughout history? It has nothing to do with woman being "nicer" and "not as anywhere as violent as men", and it has everything to do with circumstance and personality

Piccoro

But R* didn't propose RDR2 as a game of equal opportunities. Gamers are doing that. Which is fine if that's what you wanted to see in it, but to scold R* as saying "there is no excuse" for not seeing something you wanted is a bit strange. It's their game so there is every excuse for them to do as they please. Best thing to do is vote with your wallet if RDR2 isn't shaping up to be what you wanted from it, and sure give them feedback but with R* it's going to fall on deaf ears. They have already heard it all before.

I've already elaborated previously in here with 3 posts as to why I personally think R* won't break their mold. Without a doubt I think the largest portion of their sales figures go to young males, and unfortunately many young males act childish over playing as a female character. At a corporate level when you spend hundreds of millions funding a game you're going to pander to your largest potential sales base. All forms of media and entertainment are guilty of doing this.

As a company I'd only hope they diversify their lineup by releasing other games that don't always need the R* stamped budget of x00 millions. Sadly though they seem quite obsessed with everything being on the scale of GTA. Sure it can make for insane masterpieces of games, that are without a doubt some of the best in the industry. It does also lead to every game being heavily male influenced, and only in recent times can we be thankful they at least started to include black/ethnic leads.

Fair enough, all valid points.
I was just pointing out that if R* wanted, they could easily put non-whites and women in the game, and still be historically accurate. (Although I still remember the very racist reception by gamers to GTA San Andreas announcement, unfortunately...).

Anyway, I'm black and I'm still getting this game day one, even with an all-white cast.

Falchion

I bet it isn't launching on PC so that the Scorpio and Pro editions are the clear, technologically superior ways to play. Gotta give people a reason to want to upgrade to these consoles if you're Microsoft or Sony.

We are really complaining about the lack of women on the main cast of a WESTERN game?
Except for that movie with Sharon Stone I can't remember other story about that time that had a woman as protagonist
That's what happens when you don't make them and pretend women didn't play active roles in the West.

Or alternatively, "I don't see woman in poster so game must be all white men WAAAH"

We know nothing about the characters yet. RDR had a great female character who didn't appear in any original press release.

And yet we have people clearly stating that "having a female protagonist would ruin the game". If they think that little of women then I don't know how to help them.

You mean to tell me that most other developers can deal with these issues in a timely manner but Rockstar can't? Bullshit

double dipping into this for sure.

PS4 first, then PC.

well.gif

I am not double dipping after GTAV. Especially now that I don't have any current gen console.

J-Skee

I'm hyped as fuck to see what they've done with the graphics on new gen consoles as it is their first game here.

You're right, GTAV was on PS3/Xbox 360. Even though Rockstar games have never really been graphic showcases, but they never needed to be.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
We are really complaining about the lack of women on the main cast of a WESTERN game?
Except for that movie with Sharon Stone I can't remember other story about that time that had a woman as protagonist

Johnny Guitar (oddly), Meek's Cutoff, Cat Ballou, Jane Got a Gun, Hannie Caulder, True Grit (kinda), Calamity Jane, Once Upon a Time in the West (kinda), Annie Get Your Gun, The Furies etc.

Fliesen

Yeah, just because people didn't bother to do it before, nobody should bother to do it now. :/

also, i find it kinda weird that people are actually ASKING for a shitty - "retribution resurrection revengeance r-something" title. Something that Hollywood has been overusing that it's actually a trope

fuck those series that have no clean order / numbering :/

Could that also be his son, whose name I can't remember? I just remember being amazed that they didn't change his voice from child to adult.

one dude's clearly Bill Williamson. And Bill Williamson is quite certainly dead (iirc, cmiiw) - so i don't think this is a sequel.

Star Wars appeals to a wider demographic.

LiS/TLoU/TR and Horizon don't have the budgets R* spends. You can't ignore that. Unless you are behind the funding for these games you have little influence to what those putting in these ludicrous amounts of money pressurize over.

My argument isn't RDR wouldn't be successful with a female lead, it's that it wouldn't be AS successful. I've already said why, young males like it or not get very childish over having to play as females.

Rockstar games have possibly the widest appeal in the games industry ever, GTAV sold 70 million for god's sake. It did not sell all of that on the back of "young males that are childish over playing as females". RDR2 could have playable female characters and it still would have broken all of the sales records of this generation. Arguing for the status quo to continue because a minority of people will flip their shit is dumbfounded.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Dude women aren't some mystical set force in fucking fiction. Wtf am I reading? What DO you view women as? Because you're being incredibly transparent about the fact that you're a sexist who doesn't understand the concept of fiction. Last game literally had a sasquatch in it yet somehow the concept of a playable women gangster is what you're saying is unrealistic.

Cornbread78

There really isn't any excuse to not include playable blacks, indians or women...

Wait, so the only way the game would be acceptable to you is if the 7 characters were something like:

Female white
Male White

Female African American
Male African American

Female Native American Indian
Male Native American Indian

Maybe through in a Mexican character as well..

hmmmm... It would be nice in theory, but is it really needed if the focus is on his gang?

Bruv, even Rockstar disagrees with you...the main criminal antagonist for GTAIII (a gangster-ass-gangster story if ever there was one) was a woman.

Asriel

Fair enough, all valid points.
I was just pointing out that if R* wanted, they could easily put non-whites and women in the game, and still be historically accurate. (Although I still remember the very racist reception by gamers to GTA San Andreas announcement, unfortunately...).

Anyway, I'm black and I'm still getting this game day one, even with an all-white cast.

I mean, I'm a black dude and am buying this day one regardless, but I can't with all the consternation regarding complaints towards representation. Like, it would be really awesome if I could play as a black man or woman in the Wild West and I hope we do get that opportunity.

I bet it isn't launching on PC so that the Scorpio and Pro editions are the clear, technologically superior ways to play. Gotta give people a reason to want to upgrade to these consoles if you're Microsoft or Sony.

There can be no Pro edition. All games released starting October 2016 have to run on PS4 and feature PS4 Pro enhancements on the same disc.

Asriel

And LMFAO. This guy.

I mostly agree with you, but the new True Grit is a pretty good western with a female protagonist.

But, to reiterate my point, Bonnie McFarland was a main character of a Western game and she didn't appear on the original poster or imagery for RDR, and she was a great, important character in the game. So, it's too early to criticize Rockstar either way, either with "I can't believe there's no female character!"

Also, R* specifically mentions Online in the byline for this... Which may suggest that creating your own character is a significant part of the game, which allows someone to create any character they want. I sort of hope that Online is not a main focus on the game because I'm turned off to GTA Online, but who knows.

Xyber

No PC version made my hype go from 100 to 0 just like that.

Time to ignore the game until that version is announced then..

Top Bottom