• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Fall 2017, PS4/XB1, Trailer 10/20 @ 11 AM EST) announced

What will ultimately anger people the most about this game?

Results are only viewable after voting.

J3ffro

Now that's how you start a Tuesday morning. Sure, I'd prefer to see a PC inclusion at the bottom of the page, and I'd love for it to be sooner, and for my money going the Redemption 2 route wasn't the coolest.

But god damnit am I smiling like an idiot right now. Last Gen's game of the generation's sequel? Uh-huh.

What if it's a prequel and you play as
Bill Williamson with Jon being the antagonist this time around for a different perspective.

Would that make sense?
Didn't they leave John for dead, which is when he left to go to the farm/live a normal life? They only meet up again when Ross is getting him to kill his old gang.

I'd play the shit out of a Redemption 2 Story that has Bonnie Macfarlane finding out about John's murder and then finding out about his Son being in trouble so she saddles up and goes on the rescue.

Bonnie was an excellent character from RDR and I would very much like to see her again.

I don't think that'd work. It'd require they player to give a damn about Jack's well being.

Maybe its more like the Wild Bunch than Magnificent 7. After all, something had to happen to break up the gang and lead to Marston's capture by the marshalls

The gang had been broken up for around 5 years before RDR started. They left John for dead, so he left with Abigail, and then Dutch went crazy basically and the rest split.

viHuGi

Banned
Can this be the reason for no PC Version ?

cEQuwdr.jpg

Yeah, just because people didn't bother to do it before, nobody should bother to do it now. :/

also, i find it kinda weird that people are actually ASKING for a shitty - "retribution resurrection revengeance r-something" title. Something that Hollywood has been overusing that it's actually a trope

fuck those series that have no clean order / numbering :/

i don't see what's shitty about that. it is after all how we got the ring from revolver to redemption.

Fliesen

Wait, so the only way the game would be acceptable to you is if the 7 characters were something like:

Female white
Male White

Female African American
Male African American

Female Native American Indian
Male Native American Indian

Maybe through in a Mexican character as well..

hmmmm... It would be nice in theory, but is it really needed if the focus is on his gang?

women aren't a minority.
More than 50% of the world's population are women.

A big share of video game players is female, certainly a bigger share than there is of any single one of the ethnic minorities you mentioned.

i don't see what's shitty about that. it is after all how we got the ring from revolver to redemption.

Two games that i don't really consider sequels of one another - narrative wise. But i'm super fuzzy about Revolver, barely played it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So someone who has never played the second game, is this just gtav with horses?

I enjoyed Redemption far more than any GTA game. It arguably has the best storytelling/acting/narrative R* ever put out.

In fact, till this day I never completed a GTA game, played them all for a few, never touched again. Redemption has be glued to it from start to finish, and still coming back for more after that.

Gorillaz

I wouldn't be surprised if it was called Re- something when it no longer has Marston in the series if they go in a different direction.

Rockstar got me looking stupid out here thinking they would actually keep up the theme of changing it each game

Yeah, just because people didn't bother to do it before, nobody should bother to do it now. :/

also, i find it kinda weird that people are actually ASKING for a shitty - "retribution resurrection revengeance r-something" title. Something that Hollywood has been overusing that it's actually a trope

Red Dead Renegades would've been cool, especially if the focus is on a gang of outlaws as it seems to be.

I have been in love with the Red Dead series since the very first game. There was no telling how hyped I got when I saw this threat. A good chunk got deflated when I saw the multiple protagonist angle. I continually hate every one of my favorite game series going for that angle time and time again. Hopefully RDR3 will be able to do something different, since I felt underwhelmed with the mechanic in GTA V.

Revolver had 4 different playable protagonists.

It would be a different story, but a woman rising to power in a criminal underworld isn't like a fantasy movie or something. You do realize there have been female outlaws, gangsters, serial killers, soldiers, snipers, etc. throughout history? It has nothing to do with woman being "nicer" and "not as anywhere as violent as men", and it has everything to do with circumstance and personality

I understand what you're saying. i'm talking about a female with group of guys, in a gang, just doesn't fit the setting for me.

Also, R* specifically mentions Online in the byline for this... Which may suggest that creating your own character is a significant part of the game, which allows someone to create any character they want. I sort of hope that Online is not a main focus on the game because I'm turned off to GTA Online, but who knows.
It'll probably be like GTAO. You have your set protagonist for the single player, but can create a character for multiplayer

would the god father, and Goodfellas be the same it was played by woman? i don't view woman as gangster, it just doesn't fit them and that's just my opinion, 90% of homicides are committed by men, sure there exceptions but generally woman are much nicer and not as any where as violent as men. has there ever been a great movie with female gangsters in the leading role.

Not a movie, but my Female boss in Saints Row 2-4 was fucking awesome.

Rellik

I bet it isn't launching on PC so that the Scorpio and Pro editions are the clear, technologically superior ways to play. Gotta give people a reason to want to upgrade to these consoles if you're Microsoft or Sony.

They make more money by releasing the PC version 6 months down the road. Just like with GTA V.

I'm on console and PC so I'll be one of those they're betting on double dipping because I want to play it on release, but I also want to play it over 15fps.

TissueBox

OH GAWWD YeeaaaH! Gimme all your money!! I mean, take me!! I mean, Take Two! No, wait... (sigh)

I painfully will wait 'til Thursday. But man, 2017 never felt so far...yet so close.

Audioboxer

Rockstar games have possibly the widest appeal in the games industry ever, GTAV sold 70 million for god's sake. It did not sell all of that on the back of "young males that are childish over playing as females". RDR2 could have playable female characters and it still would have broken all of the sales records of this generation. Arguing for the status quo to continue because a minority of people will flip their shit is dumbfounded.

I'm not arguing for the status quo, I'm offering an opinion to why companies, especially those like Rockstar do things like this. You also just proved my point with GTA sales, yes it has widespread appeal, but if you get R* to release demographic figures about GTA what do you think the skew is? You're going to have to either get them to release such info, which they won't, or do something miraculous to convince me well over 50% of that 70m isn't male. Again for the umpteenth time this does not mean females don't buy GTA, of course they do, it's just exactly as I said in that post. The shareholders who fund something as crazy as GTA give a shit about every sale, let alone every thousand sales, and if the target demographics are as I think they are they aren't going to fund something to this budget that potentially drops sales due to childish young men/boys.

It's nice to want things in the gaming industry, but the depressingly reality is R* are not going to be the poster developers for diversity on the budgets they seem to have to spend on every game they are putting out these days. To quote a GAFers tag, to be "depressingly realistic" about this is to argue nothing about whether women existed or not in the wild west. That is the stupidest argument you can get involved in in this topic. Of course they did and there is tons of proof. It's more in line with the things I'm saying. And finally again, I'm not offering support behind this, just making observations on what I feel is reality vs personal expectations of why diversity should exist in every game. Laudable stances aren't always met with acceptance when money is involved.

monadi

Banned
should be called red dead diaper change for some of you babies. its better than some of the made up words being thrown around like "revengeance".

I'm... Is there seriously an argument going on about how a woman wouldn't fit the theme of red dead? How women aren't tough enough to play these types of gritty characters because its unrealistic because women are dainty and nothing more?

darthkarki

You know damn well why.
Its 2016 (or 2017 when this comes out). Women are more than half of the population and make up more than 40% of gamers. There are numerous historical women outlaws and gunfighters.

Zero excuse at all.

"Zero excuse"... So you're saying that someone creating a piece of art literally doesn't have the right to deliver their own vision? Obviously you're not referring to any actual legal requirements as there are none, so you must be saying there is some kind of universal moral imperative that any creator must obey regardless of what they actually feel like making?

I cannot stand this kind of entitled attitude. "How dare anyone create something that doesn't prescribe to my particular sensibilities!" Here's the thing: you can absolutely be disappointed if it's not what you wanted. Everyone has preferences, and you should absolutely tell a company that you are interested in (your preferred experience here). They might even do that at some point. But there is a difference between saying "I'm super disappointed this doesn't have a female protagonist! I would have really liked that" and "Fuck you dev you slimy racist bastards how dare you make the game you want and not the one I want!". That's the problem. The complaint is always that it's wrong that they didn't make what you wanted, which is the definition of entitlement.

This angers me because I want to have the freedom to make what I want to make. I don't want to be yelled at because I told a story that was on my heart, but it wasn't exactly what someone else would have created. The greatest works of art come from creators expressing their visions, because it's a story they have to tell, a picture they have to paint, music they have to write.

There is a TON of media that doesn't interest me. Things like the Saw movies disgust me. I think the world would probably be better off without that, so should I campaign to have those banned? Should I form an oversight committee to govern the direction of a sequel so that it's something I want? Or should I leave the creative direction to the people who actually wanted that to begin with?

Rockstar committed a grave sin here by releasing a picture that only has men in it, which means this is clearly going to be a horrible sexist game, right? So I'm curious. Would you go back in time and complain about Seven Samurai because the leads are men? I mean, that's seven lead characters and they are all men. That's bad, right? And yet, for some reason, as summarized by Wikipedia:

Since its release, Seven Samurai has consistently ranked highly in critics' greatest films lists, such as the BFI's Sight and Sound and Rotten Tomatoes polls. It has remained highly influential, often seen as one of the most "remade, reworked, referenced" films in cinema.

It almost seems like it might have actually been a good movie with a good story despite starring only men. How about The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings? Some of the greatest, most influential works of fiction in history, and they predominantly star men. Do you know why? Because these are the stories and the characters that the creators wanted to create.

Here's the truth: there are a lot of video games, that feature all manner of characters. Are there not as many representing what you are looking for? Here's an idea. Don't demand a creator change their vision to match yours. Instead of bitching about it, go make the game you want. That's what I'm doing. I will enjoy what media I enjoy, and will add what I think is missing.

Possible launch with Scorpio? I think it's very possible. Either way, I'm in day one. Although, if it's out near Scorpios launch, I'll wait for that.

pvpness

I'm so happy that it is not coming to PC!!! Now I finally have a great reason to buy a PS4! :D

/s this is the kind of logic that's actually widely present around here

Yep. Guess I finally have a reason to get a PS4! Yeah right. Day 1 PC fo sho, if it ever comes. Otherwise I'll skip, but I feel like a PC version is a no brainer at this point. I wish my hype didn't start wounded and afraid.

Outrun

Fall 2017.

Just in time for Xbox Scorpio....

And it is gonna look very nice indeed.

This could be a potential system seller.

usp84

Wait, so the only way the game would be acceptable to you is if the 7 characters were something like:

Female white
Male White

Female African American
Male African American

Female Native American Indian
Male Native American Indian

Maybe through in a Mexican character as well..

hmmmm... It would be nice in theory, but is it really needed if the focus is on his gang?

Yeah with that logic every game Rockstar makes should have 15 protagonists so that noone complains.

I am fine with whatever characters and story they want to create.

women aren't a minority.
More than 50% of the world's population are women.

A big share of video game players is female, certainly a bigger share than there is of any single one of the ethnic minorities you mentioned.

Two games that i don't really consider sequels of one another - narrative wise. But i'm super fuzzy about Revolver, barely played it.

I don't think that's true...

Do people not realize how poor an example it is to bring up old stories/movies not having women in them as a justification for a property in 2016 also not having women in it?

This is like complaining about Django Unchained because there weren't any black cowboys in old Hollywood westerns.

fuck those series that have no clean order / numbering :/

one dude's clearly Bill Williamson. And Bill Williamson is quite certainly dead (iirc, cmiiw) - so i don't think this is a sequel.

Ok but then Marston can't be the main character because the game's name wouldn't make sense... you can't have your second Redemption before your first. :p

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I agree that Redemption 2 may not be the most creative but if it does tie in with the previous game, then its understandable. I will disagree that just replacing the last word with something like Retribution, or Requiem or Resurrection or Revelations makes it better, more like it sounds like a crappy sequel to tired action or horror film franchise released in the late 90s

Top Bottom