• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 (Fall 2017, PS4/XB1, Trailer 10/20 @ 11 AM EST) announced

What will ultimately anger people the most about this game?

Results are only viewable after voting.

zsynqx

haha I really didn't think they would call it RDR2. Still, this jumps right to the top of my most anticipated games list.

Fliesen

Revolver had 4 different playable protagonists.

i think the triple protagonist narrative of GTA V was something they really fell in love with. - especially when it comes to mission design.
I don't think we'll be getting a 7-protagonist-game, but multiple protagonists you can freely switch between would certainly be interesting.

You know, the charmer, the demolitions expert, the sniper, the brawler, etc.

Piccoro

Wait, so the only way the game would be acceptable to you is if the 7 characters were something like:

Female white
Male White

Female African American
Male African American

Female Native American Indian
Male Native American Indian

Maybe through in a Mexican character as well..

hmmmm... It would be nice in theory, but is it really needed if the focus is on his gang?

No. Check my post above.
Also, you should watch The Magnificent Seven (2016).

Coxy100

Banned
Ok but then Marston can't be the main character because the game's name wouldn't make sense... you can't have your second Redemption before your first. :p

It's just a brand name maybe now? Just like they do with GTA - Red Dead Redemption is now associated with this 'series'.

Erevador

It's going to be amazing. Love everything about the group of characters we're seeing there.

Looks to be pure classic western, done properly, something we have been too long without.

Can't wait for the trailer.

ironcreed

Banned
Shame it's not set in the modern day, or near future. Ahh well.

wtf2.gif

_woLf

I'm actually....kinda disappointed.

Direct sequel? Or is it a prequel? And all male cast is a huge bummer.

Ah well. Hopefully trailer is good.

El-Suave

I'm curious to see how the platform holders will try to win/secure market share alongside this game, it pretty much is the ideal scenario for Scorpio to demonstrate its advantages if there are any or for Playstation to attach some VR mode to it.

Vex_

Banned
for people saying Red dead is just gta with horses:

Nah. There is something about the gunplay that makes it more... iunno visceral... I just... feel more...... what's that "i" word again?

Two games that i don't really consider sequels of one another - narrative wise. But i'm super fuzzy about Revolver, barely played it.
they're not sequels of one another, their spiritual successors/predecessors, if you mean revolver and redemption. redemption 2 looks like a direct sequel to the second game, but even then i'd prefer a new R word because this series doesn't get a lot of installments. could've added a new title to remember, just like redemption.
Okay? That applies to basically any piece of media irrespective of whether or not they push for more diversity or not; not sure what you're trying to argue here.
i don't care much if the main character is white or not, what rockstar is doing is for telling the best story they could - doesn't mean it'll be a well received story by everyone and doesn't mean they couldn't also tell a story just as good if not better with a native american protagonist.

Henkka

Banned
Do people not realize how poor an example it is to bring up old stories/movies not having women in them as a justification for a property in 2016 also not having women in it?

This is like complaining about Django Unchained because there weren't any black cowboys in old Hollywood westerns.

Why would you assume there are no women in the game? Marston's wife and Bonnie were both awesome.

Fliesen

I don't think that's true...

interesting!
it's certainly the case in Europe and the US. (50%+) Weird that it's different world-wide. but it really doesn't change my argument ;)

they're not sequels of one another, their spiritual successors/predecessors, if you mean revolver and redemption. redemption 2 looks like a direct sequel to the second game, but even then i'd prefer a new R word because this series doesn't get a lot of installments. could've added a new title to remember, just like redemption.
i don't care much if the main character is white or not, what rockstar is doing is for telling the best story they could - doesn't mean it'll be a well received story by everyone and doesn't mean they couldn't also tell a story just as good if not better with a native american protagonist.

i still think that'd simply make for bad branding and just create confusion. They clearly want people new to the series look at Redemption, and redemption only, when hyping themselves up for the new game. Imagine the amount of people who'd try to 'get into the series' by playing Revolver first - that's actually a deterrence.

Why would you assume there are no women in the game? Marston's wife and Bonnie were both awesome.

Bonnie was great, Marston's wife had pretty much no agency - she was literally locked up, tending a farm and raising a kid throughout the entire game.
The fact that you consider a "character" like Mrs. Marston to be "awesome" really shows how underrepresented female characters are in these kinds of games. I couldn't even NAME a female character from GTA V right now.
(also, i couldn't even NAME Mrs. Marston without looking her up either...)

"Zero excuse"... So you're saying that someone creating a piece of art literally doesn't have the right to deliver their own vision? Obviously you're not referring to any actual legal requirements as there are none, so you must be saying there is some kind of universal moral imperative that any creator must obey regardless of what they actually feel like making?

I cannot stand this kind of entitled attitude. "How dare anyone create something that doesn't prescribe to my particular sensibilities!" Here's the thing: you can absolutely be disappointed if it's not what you wanted. Everyone has preferences, and you should absolutely tell a company that you are interested in (your preferred experience here). They might even do that at some point. But there is a difference between saying "I'm super disappointed this doesn't have a female protagonist! I would have really liked that" and "Fuck you dev you slimy racist bastards how dare you make the game you want and not the one I want!". That's the problem. The complaint is always that it's wrong that they didn't make what you wanted, which is the definition of entitlement.

This angers me because I want to have the freedom to make what I want to make. I don't want to be yelled at because I told a story that was on my heart, but it wasn't exactly what someone else would have created. The greatest works of art come from creators expressing their visions, because it's a story they have to tell, a picture they have to paint, music they have to write.

There is a TON of media that doesn't interest me. Things like the Saw movies disgust me. I think the world would probably be better off without that, so should I campaign to have those banned? Should I form an oversight committee to govern the direction of a sequel so that it's something I want? Or should I leave the creative direction to the people who actually wanted that to begin with?

Rockstar committed a grave sin here by releasing a picture that only has men in it, which means this is clearly going to be a horrible sexist game, right? So I'm curious. Would you go back in time and complain about Seven Samurai because the leads are men? I mean, that's seven lead characters and they are all men. That's bad, right? And yet, for some reason, as summarized by Wikipedia:

It almost seems like it might have actually been a good movie with a good story despite starring only men. How about The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings? Some of the greatest, most influential works of fiction in history, and they predominantly star men. Do you know why? Because these are the stories and the characters that the creators wanted to create.

Here's the truth: there are a lot of video games, that feature all manner of characters. Are there not as many representing what you are looking for? Here's an idea. Don't demand a creator change their vision to match yours. Instead of bitching about it, go make the game you want. That's what I'm doing. I will enjoy what media I enjoy, and will add what I think is missing.

A+ post, tired of all this "no excuses" bull and whining masquerading as "criticism."

Can I get a role call for folks hyped for RDR2 Online as much or more than the story? As much as I loved GTAV's single player campaign I've spent far more time in Online over the years, and love it to bits. Can't wait to see what they have in mind for RDR Online, though I suspect that won't be the focus at all for Thursday.

Man I really hope this is not a prequel but a new story. But with how rockstar likes to do heist missions for online and off now, I can see why it can be a prequel. Dutch's gang doing bank heist, train heist etc.

Fucking excited for the possibility of playing with a Native in this game tbh. I hope they have his section include the whole tribe,could be cool whatever they decude to do.

PSOreo

Sad this over a year away, was hoping they'd do a remaster to soften the blow of the wait but still hyped none the less. Bring it on 2017, my PS4 awaits.

Also no PC, amazing Rockstar.
aLVg7.gif

"Love you guys"

Cornbread78

women aren't a minority.
More than 50% of the world's population are women.
A big share of video game players is female, certainly a bigger share than there is of any single one of the ethnic minorities you mentioned.

Who said they are a minority, I'm a married man with 3 daughters and you expect me to think they are a minority? My ass is dominated by woman, lol.

Now back to the virtual gaming world for a moment:

Who was in his "gang" back then and who would have been in his social circle. The point is, would they need that much diversity within his gang to be acceptable?

Again, this is all just based off the artwork and we have yet to see a single clip of the game yet.

RocknRola

It just feels like the easy title. I know that it will bring a lot more attention and sale because the last one was received so well so it's smart in that regard. Just feels a little lazy? For lack of a better word

I agree. Especially if it ends being a prequel as some are claiming. It makes a lot sense from a pure marketing standpoint, but it does come across as somewhat lazy.

In any case, I'm glad it's coming! First one was amazing, lets hope this one is too!

Also you better get a comboy hat for the videos, when the time comes! :p

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
No PC or NX version? Bah. That means I'll have to use my PS4 again. Well at least they got the name right. And I assume it'll come to PC a bit later. Gotta get those double dips.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I understand what you're saying. i'm talking about a female with group of guys, in a gang, just doesn't fit the setting for me.
So what part of bullet time fits the setting for you? Ah yes, the legendary bullet time outlaws.

Top Bottom