• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replacement PS5 has coil whine worse than the first

geordiemp

why did you edit out the park about your Xbox blowing up your village? Didn’t want to come off as the troll you are?

I said I had to play my XSX from bottom of the garden. I think it was funny and reposte to teh guy who claimed his ps5 had to be in another room lol

tenor.gif

Oh yeah I forgot about XSX power and craig, thanks for that. Post some more craigs please.

Last edited:

Mojoraisin

Since we never got a video, from what I’ve seen anyway, I researched this myself. Watched this video (start around 01:00)

and listened to my own PlayStation. I always thought I should listen for a more high pitch “whine” than this (remembering some of my old pc hardware with high pitch noise) but sure enough if I put my ear really close I hear a similar noise as the video above when playing Astro bot if I’m in a totally silent room. It never bothered me, never heard it before and will probably never hear it again. It stops when in menu, playing a movie etc. Only tested with Astro Bot so not sure about other games.

Sorry OP you seem to be unlucky twice and have gotten a noisy unit, hope it all works out for you.

God damnit you guys. Now I have another thing I will look for in electronics as a potential “non perfect “ experience.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Bro it's coil whine, hardly a defective product. Slap some headphones on and deal with it.

Think mine gets it now and then depending what I'm doing on the console but it's not game breaking and can barely hear it.

Stick with it for a bit until there's a model revision, sell this one and get that one.
And if he took your advice the first time he'd be better off. Coil whine ain't a big deal and if he cares so much replace the ps5 in a year when new models are out.

kingwingin

Yeah, I have to stand at the bottom of the garden to play XSX it whines so much
ok?

You can look up my psn trophy count vs my live score if you think I'm an xbox fan trolling. The noise this system puts out is annoying and excessive, still wouldn't trade it in for a series x

Hostile_18

Banned
So change your ps5 if you genuinly have an issue.. 1 % of all consoles will have issues,and be warranty replacements thats normal.

10,000 for every million, whether its ps5 or XSX .

My problem is the posters piling in to make an issue out of normal consumer electronics.

I said the same when posters where FUDing XSX fails a while back if you look. Its wrong and gets my back up.

Its alot higher than 1% though in Playstation 5s case. You keep ignoring everything shown to you and going "secret xbox under cover agents".

I'm glad your Playstation 5 is quiet but I am a huge (but logical) Playstation fan but regardless of my situation I can see the issues with this console launch are higher than normal. It dosnt take away from how great I believe Sony games are but with respect to hardware it is what it is.

It's going to be around 30 days without a console I I pre-ordered within minutes of them going live. It's not really acceptable and I've missed the biggest launch of the year (Cyberpunk). Maybe if my case was more isolated I'd consider myself super unfortunate but have a look around here and other places and you can make the reasonable conclusions it isn't.

I was a 360 user during the red ring fiasco and it didn't really affect me personally that I felt the need to shout down anyone who had an issue with their console. Infact ultimately it was a good thing for me because it made Microsoft own up to their mistakes and made the platform as a whole stronger. Your essentially attacking fellow Playstation fans by accusing them of been deceitful over their unacceptable hardware they paid good money for. Kicking them while their down for no good reason because you have this "sides" and console war mentality lense your looking at everything through.

Last edited:
I heard that if you open up the PS5 and open up the power supply and stick in some playdough it will help with the vibration and reduce coil whine something like this which the Xbox has but PS5 does not.

fvumAmA.png

Ghost888

Neo Member
I had the same issue with my Ps5 and I’ve only just got the email today to say that they’ve got my ps5.

Guess I’ll see how it goes hopefully they fix mine or provide one that doesn’t have the coil whine

DinoD

Sony will soon start selling the special edition PS5 bundle called "Dr X-Troll".
It will come with stethoscope.

DinoD

Decided to go the PS5 repair centre route after Amazon UK couldnt/wouldn't replace it as they have no system to prioritise purchasers with faulty units... So contacted Sony support not one apology ever, waited 16 days without a PS5. "Replacement" came today, the second I start a game its noisy as fuck, OS silent. Can't of been tested or someone elses return.

Honestly at this point I'm close to packing it in. This is the worst console launch I've ever experienced (in terms of hardware issues). Spent hundreds with Sony (have over 400 digital games) but this is an absolute shit show. At this rate I'll be playing a polished version of Cyberpunk... 😡

I'll update when I've phoned the support line AGAIN.

That's what usually happens with people who are too anal (OCD-ish) about things. My brother always finds himself in these situations where product or service he complained about is replaced with even more "inferior" replacement.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I said I had to play my XSX from bottom of the garden. I think it was funny and reposte to teh guy who claimed his ps5 had to be in another room lol

Oh yeah I forgot about XSX power and craig, thanks for that. Post some more craigs please.

right, sure it had nothing to do with all the warning over console waring:messenger_ok:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
The only real problem I have is that coil whine will eventually break that component much faster than if it didn’t whine.

Its alot higher than 1% though in Playstation 5s case. You keep ignoring everything shown to you and going "secret xbox under cover agents".

I'm glad your Playstation 5 is quiet but I am a huge (but logical) Playstation fan but regardless of my situation I can see the issues with this console launch are higher than normal. It dosnt take away from how great I believe Sony games are but with respect to hardware it is what it is.

It's going to be around 30 days without a console I I pre-ordered within minutes of them going live. It's not really acceptable and I've missed the biggest launch of the year (Cyberpunk). Maybe if my case was more isolated I'd consider myself super unfortunate but have a look around here and other places and you can make the reasonable conclusions it isn't.

I was a 360 user during the red ring fiasco and it didn't really affect me personally that I felt the need to shout down anyone who had an issue with their console. Infact ultimately it was a good thing for me because it made Microsoft own up to their mistakes and made the platform as a whole stronger. Your essentially attacking fellow Playstation fans by accusing them of been deceitful over their unacceptable hardware they paid good money for. Kicking them while their down for no good reason because you have this "sides" and console war mentality lense your looking at everything through.
You dont owe anyone an explanation. I am in the same boat as you are. The PS5 has coil whine and based on a lottery you can hear it more or less. Some will defend it and blame you and claim it is some sort of Xbox conspiracy. Those people should be ignored. Hopefully Sony can take some notes on system build quality and improve things. I'll most likely swap mine out next year when more consoles hit.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Get your story straight, he said he did not have a playstation last gen.

Most of his posts are about xbox and Nintendo

Show me a clear ps5 fan with a post history of such who has issues.

WTF is wrong with you? Get MY story straight?
He never said he didn't have a PS4, he said he didn't have an Xbox last gen.

I didnt even have a xbox last gen 😂 I just like gaming and can see the positives an negative in every platform. All the people I follow its because their posts are well thought out and reasonable. What they play on is irrelevant.

Of course they are tied to my account but I still need a device to play them on. Your super paranoid looking for ways to defend Sony on this issue over everything 😂.

Go chill out, little warrior, you're out of control.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have 2 PS5's, one disc and one digital, I also have several IRL friends who have PS5's and NOT ONE of them have coil whine or any noise issues.....

It seems a bit too coincidental that there are so many people reporting coil whine here, especially considering many of the people mentioning it have a certain commonality.
You mean the commonality is that their console makes noise, right? Congrats on having a silent console.

Pimpbaa

The only real problem I have is that coil whine will eventually break that component much faster than if it didn’t whine.

None of the laptops or video cards that I've used over the decades have ever broke because of coil whine. It is an annoyance for those with sensitive ears, nothing more.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Wtf is with the console warring over a normal launch defect. It is hardly rampant like the dre issues. There is no excuse to attack people who are in the unlucky 3%. This is the only real hardware issue so far that is great. People are just way to crazy with going to war over everything attitude.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I haven't had any hardware issues with the electronics that I've been able to purchase this season, including my PlayStation 5 (jynx, knock on wood). I'm guessing that cases such as the OP's are statistical outliers.

Good luck, OP.

People aren't bitching about the coil whine you're hearing. They're referring to the coil whine they're hearing. It might amaze you, but different people's consoles are louder or quieter than your own. That might be hard to grasp, but I think you can do It if you really try.
None of these whiners whining about coil whine post their console whining. And when they do.. I go thats what you’re bitching about?

rnlval

Bro it's coil whine, hardly a defective product. Slap some headphones on and deal with it.

Think mine gets it now and then depending what I'm doing on the console but it's not game breaking and can barely hear it.

Stick with it for a bit until there's a model revision, sell this one and get that one.
I returned a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 1Ghz with a coil whine for the HIS version.

JeloSWE

I think it was funny and reposte to teh guy who claimed his ps5 had to be in another room lol
I often play at night, with low volumes, I have a great speaker system with inaudible black floor, in other words, It's dead silent in my living room and I hate noises. I've also placed both my computer and my PS5 in the next room to get rid of all the fan noise. When I had the PS5 in my living room in the beginning during setup, I clearly noticed the coil whine and found it very annoying. My plan is to try and get it replaced if later revisions correct this shit of a PSU. For now it's not a huge practically issue due to my set up but if I leave my next room door open I can still hear the coil whine over my computer and PS5 fans. The big issue I'm having here is that Sony really made an point to make a silent machine after all the complaints of the jet engine the PS4 was, unfortunately they fell right before the goal line with many machines having louder fans then touted because of different fans models and what is even worse is that the coil whine makes the silent fan moot any way. I am really disappointed in an other wise excellent machine.

McCheese

I begrudgingly returned my PS5 because of a weird clicking noise the fan was making, but noticed it also had crazy coil whine in a few situations.

Every PS4 Pro I own also has coil whine, but it's like a low purr sound and doesn't annoy me much. My PS5 sounded like like a fridge with tennitus on some menu screens and really did break the immersion.

Fanboys pretending this is some guerilla console war tactic can fuck off, some systems really are so noisy they are not fit for purpose.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hmmm how common is this?

Seeing as though I can't buy a PS5 to save my life maybe I'm dodging a bullet unintentionally here.

Hostile_18

Banned
Hmmm how common is this?

Seeing as though I can't buy a PS5 to save my life maybe I'm dodging a bullet unintentionally here.

I think it may be like the PS4 analogue sticks last gen where the second production wave gets a stealth change of parts/process.

Total guesses but any coil whine about 60% of all units, annoying coil whine you can hear while playing around 30%.

Strictly on the Neogaf hardware poll it was 15% of all units. That relies on everyone following the same process to check for it however, that's why I estimated 30%.

JeloSWE

Hmmm how common is this?

I think the coil whine is very common but may definitely vary between devices. It's just that people are more or less sensitive and have more or less noise in their background from other things like distant traffic, computers, ventilation, neighbors, etc and might be using headphones or using higher listening volumes as well.

geordiemp

Are you actually for real? What do you think this thread is actually about... been without a PS5 for so long only to get another faulty one! Your just a troll.

Because any normal person would of contacted sony and sorted it out,

You with all your xbox friends list and the major xbox trolls you follow and just post about it constantly on GAF like its you do this for a living.

Right, off to work, you continue to post about it all day again on GAF, same thing every day, every week with no evidence = Yes it is suspicious and not normal behavoir.

Video and gamertag as I dont believe you.

Last edited:
Here you go. It's much more audible in person and annoying sounding than the video makes it out to be. Now stop bitching about other peoples problems and get out of here.

I have a long HDMI cable. So I have the PS5 behind me, not next to the TV. I either have the speakers or my headphones. Im confused how people hear it. People can bitch about whatever they want. Just like when I see a DISC PS5, I wanna throw up.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think the coil whine is very common but may definitely vary between devices. It's just that people are more or less sensitive and have more or less noise in their background from other things like distant traffic, computers, ventilation, neighbors, etc and might be using headphones or using higher listening volumes as well.
Well my home is dead quiet most of the time as I live alone. I do use headphones though and my PC is not silent. Ryzen 5800x runs hot and my fans get a workout for sure. I'm not sure I would mind this so much. Still if there was a possibility to get a PS5 that's more quiet within a reasonable amount of time, I'd go for that option.

Hostile_18

Banned
Becvause any normal person would of contacted sony and sorted it out,

You with all your xbox friends list and the major xbox trolls you follow and just post about it constantly on GAF like its you do this for a living.

Right, off to work, you continue to post about it all day again on GAF, same thing every day, every week with no evidence = Yes it is suspicious and not normal behavoir.

Video and gamertag as I dont bvelieve you.

It's in the first post, I have. I think you may have some learning difficulties so I'll just leave it at that. If you ever want to reflect on your console warring then please re-read what has been said to you.

Hope you get it solved but if I were you I would've just returned it for a refund and wait it out to get a replacement when they're more plentiful (and hopefully have some of these issues fixed in stealth updated hardware in the next few months).

Sony is having a hard enough time keeping up with initial sales demand and even in the best circumstances their "support" is an insult and a disgrace. So if they take care of this for you satisfactorily it might be time to buy a lottery ticket.

Hostile_18

Banned
Hope you get it solved but if I were you I would've just returned it for a refund and wait it out to get a replacement when they're more plentiful (and hopefully have some of these issues fixed in stealth updated hardware in the next few months).

Sony is having a hard enough time keeping up with initial sales demand and even in the best circumstances their "support" is an insult and a disgrace. So if they take care of this for you satisfactorily it might be time to buy a lottery ticket.

I just didnt want to go months without my primary gaming platform. I wanted to Play Demon Souls and also Cyberpunk on my PS5 to get the trophies (I sold my PS4 Pro). I'm not expecting much from this supervisor call today (if indeed I get it). It sounds like a lottery each time to be honest at the moment. If the third one is terrible I can always return to Amazon UK by the end of January as a last resort. It's all just super disappointing start, but will hopefully be forgotten once its sorted.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
geordiemp geordiemp acting like the Sony Gestapo in this thread LMFAO! 🤣 Be careful Hostile_18 Hostile_18 , you’ll be getting a knock on your front door from him soon... ‘I CAN SEE AN XBOX YOU LYING PIECE OF SHIT!!!’

I'm in the long game if I've got over 30 plats, ran the UK PS5 pre order thread, bought the console, gone without one for 16 days... all to what knock Sony for Xbox and a few of my xbox friends on here? Instead of what actually playing and enjoying the games I want to play... its absolute madness 😂😂.

Naughty Dog are my favorite developers, I've even got framed artwork from 3 Playstation exclusives in my living room (check out the next gen set up thread). Honestly the guy has issues.

Top Bottom