• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of man, finished game trailer

Chiggs

Gold Member
Ganondorfo said:
Why don't they throw " a la metroid prime" bosses in this game, it could make this game more exciting. You mostly see the same alien enemies.

I saw something pretty interesting about fifty-two seconds into the trailer.

BigBoss

Ganondorfo said:
Why don't they throw " a la metroid prime" bosses in this game, it could make this game more exciting. You mostly see the same alien enemies.

There are bosses, hopefully they're as good as the bosses in the Metroid Prime games.

Ganondorfo

Chiggs said:
I saw something pretty interesting about fifty-two seconds into the trailer.

It does looke like a regenerator from resident evil 4, I liked that jump from the big alien spider in the trailer.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I really, really get the feeling that this could be Game of the Year--not just for PS3, either. It looks ****ing brilliant. I can't believe I ever doubted Insomniac. I feel so ashamed. PS3 launch looks spectacular.

Ganondorfo said:

Just like the levels they've been very careful not to show the bigger enemies they've discussed. This guy is pretty interesting

resistance-fall-of-man-20060914004803238.jpg

That low res video gave me a boner. This game looks bad ass. The music and the amount of things happening on screen is out of this world. Please release an OST for this.

Damn, I doubt I'll be able to hold out on getting a PS3 this year.

EDIT: jstevenson, thanks for that post about the difficulty. The god mode videos shown kind of made the game look boring(in terms of the combat) So its good to hear that Resistance wont be easy.

J-Rzez

I never doubted Insomniac... And while these vids are great, and you get the "jist" of the idea, if it's anything like their other creations, it'll be the definition of incredible gameplay...

This game is ONE of the MANY REASONS to pay $500 (please stop being toolbelted trolls, it's real, plays the games JUST AS GOOD as the more expensive model, stop stating $600) OR $600

Can't wait to play some online with those weapons... it's gonna be chaotic fun!

Insomniac owns me...

Dante

I fear saying this.....But I do get the Halo vibe from it. Just looks fun. I never though Halo was the most impressive title graphically, but it was the gameplay and atmosphere that made it great....I am hoping that Resistance is similar in that respect. I have such high hopes for this game.

J-Rzez

SolidSnakex said:
Heh I never noticed this before, but the chimera on the left in the entrance has a spike nailing his head into the wall

I noticed that the other day... if that spike going through it's head got embedded into the wall, holding that Chimera up like that... it very well maybe the most impressive display of physics i've seen this "next-gen" so far...

Dante said:
I fear saying this.....But I do get the Halo vibe from it. Just looks fun. I never though Halo was the most impressive title graphically, but it was the gameplay and atmosphere that made it great....I am hoping that Resistance is similar in that respect. I have such high hopes for this game.

You liked Halo?

J-Rzez said:
I noticed that the other day... if that spike going through it's head got embedded into the wall, holding that Chimera up like that... it very well maybe the most impressive display of physics i've seen this "next-gen" so far...

Huh? Painkiller and F.E.A.R have similar weapons that do the exact same thing.

mr_nothin

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Of course Half Life 2 did that back in 2004 but still impressive :)

J-Rzez said:

Actually it's not just the spike holding him up, it looks like his arm draped over the railing is as well. ;) Insomniac sounds pretty proud of the ragdoll/animation blending system they've developed and for good reason. From all the vids I've seen it looks like a solid notch above the current Havok stuff IMO. All the bodies seem to consistently react in a very dynamic and realistic manner, no matter what the environmental collision is thrown at them. And they don't seem to clip with the geometry or end up in weird mannequin-esque positions like you usually see. It's a subtle but rather impressive show of tech.

jjasper said:
To be fair not all of us have fancy schmancy computers capable of running those games.
I didnt mean to sound like a dick. Just thought it was odd of him make such a bold statement when we've been seeing those "next gen" physics for a couple years now.

That's a sweet screen shot though. Theres something about Resistance's enemies that make them seem so satisfying to kill. Maybe its those freaky ass teeth.:lol I cant wait to pin one against a wall while trying to dive at me.:)

Dante said:

Hopefully this one doesn't turn into a repetitive corridor crawler half-way through then, eh?

Wollan

It's cool that you can aim in two directions with the pistols. That canceled soviet PS3 game (one of the first shown) was to base the whole game around that idea and here we have a single weapon combo doing that.

Twix

this game is the new definition of the word " awesome "... it’s really sad to play this game without the rumble functionality:(

pswii60

Anyone know how long this has been in development?

I got the feeling it had been in development longer than any other 1st party game because it was the only game they showed any actual real-time footage of at E3 2005.

It looks to me that this has been in development for a while at Sony for them to really try and compete with Halo - just surprises me that Sony haven't been hyping it up as much as some of their other stuff.

This is definitely more 'Halo' than GOW in terms of gameplay. GOW will be great but I don't think should be compared with this as really they have two different aims. GOW is more arcadey. If anything, I really think this game should be compared with Halo. Yes, I went there. But, the resemblence is striking.

Wollan

Pre-production started sometime in 2004 while rumors have said that the game planning/concepting go as far back as 2003 but that's not confirmed.

J-Rzez

SNUG REVOL said:
lol, Yea I forgot about that crossbow. He must not play alot of FPS's.

I didn't know the crossbow did that in HL2... hmmm... next time I'm over my friend's house I'm gonna have to try that out...

Lince

Banned
Resistance and Lost Planet are the only games that scream "next-gen" to me, Resistane is truly unbelievable @1080p with tons of nice looking things going on at a steady framerate, PS3 will impress even your mother in a few years.

J-Rzez said:

That's depressing then as there's been a few games that have already done this. Painkiller and FEAR spring imediately to mind.

Surreal

Kittonwy said:
They've said that they were trying to get the game to 1080p if time permits.

We've also had several recent comments from different people (1UP, I think Eurogamer) stating Resistance is 1080p, but it hasn't been confirmed.

Vigo the Carpathian said:
I have heard 720p fo Resistance, but it makes no diff to me I have a 1080i set. I would rather they not go for 1080p.

Why not? At this point it's just "Can they do it", I don't think it means that graphics are going to be downgraded to pull it off. If it were, wouldn't that decision have been made a long time ago. I don't know jack though, that's just the way it seems to me. I hope they can get 1080p by launch. I don't have a 1080p TV, but I plan on getting one next year and if Resistance is 1080p, I'd love to check it out in its full glory(minus 7.1 sound ;_;)

Yes it's the money, time and recources that limit many 1st gen games for PS3. If for instance all ingame assets have been finished earlier, optimizing for 1080p can be within reach.

From the way they've talked it seems like they believe they can get to 1080p but they might not have enough time. They sum it up best though

That being said, if we run out of time we run out of time, so alas it may not be.

We'll see soon, though
icon_wink.gif

They're trying though. But if they can't get there then you've got several other 1080p launch titles to try out.

Odrion

Banned
Please be a game longer than eight hours... Please be a game longer than eight hours... Please be a game longer than eight hours...

Top Bottom