• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resistance: Fall of man, finished game trailer

Wollan

I think this game will be a wake up call for fps developers regarding weapons. Sure, there has been fps games with crazy weapons before but not to this level of polish/variety and certainly not for such a important title.

Usually a shooter has a lot of variations on bullet weapons. A pistol, a revolver, a light machine gun, a assault rifle, a chain gun, a sniper rifle..etc. With Resistance every different weapon has a totally original use.

M5A2 Carbine Assault Rifle - Rapid fire/Grenade Launcher
Rossmore 236 Shotgun - Single/double shot
Grenade
Bullseye - Rapid homing bullets which follows tag bullet(secondary), can set 'bee' traps
LAARK - Guided missile launcher, can stop missile in mid air, can make missile shoot out dozen rockets from tip covering large area
Flamethrower - Green flame/ignites enemy for a short while, can set flame traps that if touched ignites enemies permanently
Sapper - Shoot and form explosive barricades of goo in any shape you want
Reapers dual machine pistols - Aims in on two different targets
Auger - Shoots bullet which digs slowly through walls and increase in strength, pops up shield only Augers can shoot through
Hedgehog - Grenade that jumps in the air, squeals and then shoots 50 2foot spikes in every direction
L32 Fareye sniper rifle - Focus mode which slows down time
Arch-charger - Shoots red electrical bolts, Lethal taser/Disintigrator
Hailstorm - Insane bullet hose, all bullets ricochet of walls and become even more powerful, if clips are thrown they transform into automatic turret stations

Wollan said:
I think this game will be a wake up call for fps developers regarding weapons. Sure, there has been fps games with crazy weapons before but not to this level of polish/variety and certainly not for such a important title.

Usually a shooter has a lot of variations on bullet weapons. A pistol, a revolver, a light machine gun, a assault rifle, a chain gun, a sniper rifle..etc. With Resistance every different weapon has a totally original use.

M5A2 Carbine Assault Rifle - Rapid fire/Grenade Launcher
Rossmore 236 Shotgun - Single/double shot
Grenade
Bullseye - Rapid homing bullets which follows tag bullet(secondary), can set 'bee' traps
LAARK - Guided missile launcher, can stop missile in mid air, can make missile shoot out dozen rockets from tip covering large area
Flamethrower - Green flame/ignites enemy for a short while, can set flame traps that if touched ignites enemies permanently
Sapper - Shoot and form explosive barricades of goo in any shape you want
Reapers dual machine pistols - Aims in on two different targets
Auger - Shoots bullet which digs slowly through walls and increase in strength, pops up shield only Augers can shoot through
Hedgehog - Grenade that jumps in the air, squeals and then shoots 50 2foot spikes in every direction
L32 Fareye sniper rifle - Focus mode which slows down time
Arch-charger - Shoots red electrical bolts, Lethal taser/Disintigrator
Hailstorm - Insane bullet hose, all bullets ricochet of walls and become even more powerful, if clips are thrown they transform into automatic turret stations

Now if only realistic damage effects would be next.

Wollan said:

Umm, Unreal/UT anyone?

I'm still skeptical on the weapons balance in MP too. For single player I think they will be great, but as I've said before I worry that there are too many spammy weapons in there and that can hurt multiplayer.

realistic damage effects? wouldn't that mean mostly 1 shot kills? or do you mean progressive enemy damage (arms falling off when you target them, bullet holes for each bullet in the enemy)?

FrenchMovieTheme said:
realistic damage effects? wouldn't that mean mostly 1 shot kills? or do you mean progressive enemy damage (arms falling off when you target them, bullet holes for each bullet in the enemy)?

Both. Ofcourse super human enemies last longer, but would at least show some sign of being wounded.

I'm not bashing Resistance but I'm talking about devs in general, apparently not putting effort into it.

Wollan

PjotrStroganov said:
I'm not bashing Resistance but I'm talking about devs in general, apparently not putting effort into it.

Doom 3 is actually the best game so far in that regard. They get wounds and realistic blood splatters according to how you hit them. Though as far as movement in respect to being hit, Resistance seems to be the one as they blend in natural rag-doll like effects even if it's just a damaging shoot and not a kill.

J-Rzez

forgeforsaken said:
Umm, Unreal/UT anyone?

I'm still skeptical on the weapons balance in MP too. For single player I think they will be great, but as I've said before I worry that there are too many spammy weapons in there and that can hurt multiplayer.

Nope... Unreal's weapons, while fun, do not look like this... Insomniac is king of ka-razy weapons...

I'd assume every weapon is "spammy" then... they all seem pretty crazy... but I can expect there to be more of a scenario where ppl tend to avoid 1 or 2 weapons as opposed to only grabbing/using 1 or 2...

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Oldschoolgamer said:
From what I have seen, its spectacular.

Agreed !

It´s 44% complete here and I checked it just now. Jeez.... the battlefield is HUGE. Insanely huge. The Depth of Field is really awesome ! And believe me or not, the multiplayer game seems to be more good looking than the SP :lol

Chrono

Banned
someone put that GI video on youtube or something...

btw do we now know how resistence will use the motion senser? I remember it was kept 'secret' and they only talked about shaking off enemies.

haven't read the whole thread so sorry if this has been answered. :p

Finally got the full video downloaded. It's really the first video i've seen without God mode that shows just how crazy its giong to get and exactly why you aren't goign to be able to run through this just firing away. It's also the first video i've seen where those tubes on the chimera get blown off their back.

Wollan

What type of level does it show? Brownish outdoor? There were three levels at tgs I think. It shows multiplayer as well?

Wollan said:
What type of level does it show? Brownish outdoor? There were three levels at tgs I think. It shows multiplayer as well?

resistancefk4.jpg

No multiplayer from what I can tell.

Tieno

There's something about the weapons that I don't really like, especially the energy weapons. Energy weapons don't really feel as if you're making an impact and the effects when you're shooting block your sight off too much for me. In fps's I'm not really a fan of energy weapons in general.

Aside from that I really like the scale and animation and I'm happy that you just can't run and spray your way through the game.

Kittonwy

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Finally got the full video downloaded. It's really the first video i've seen without God mode that shows just how crazy its giong to get and exactly why you aren't goign to be able to run through this just firing away. It's also the first video i've seen where those tubes on the chimera get blown off their back.

I wonder how big that actually level is, lots of action everywhere. The character running animations are much improved.

Chrono said:
someone put that GI video on youtube or something...

btw do we now know how resistence will use the motion senser? I remember it was kept 'secret' and they only talked about shaking off enemies.

haven't read the whole thread so sorry if this has been answered. :p

I think you can use it in place of the melee attack button. Other than that, no idea.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I think the only thing that bugs me is how friendly fire doesnt seem to affect anything. Theres no animation or audio after it happens. Other than that, game looks amazing. :D

Blimblim

The Inside Track
For some reason this game totally reminds me of Call of Duty 2. Not just the setting, but also the motion, lighting and lots of small details. CoD2 was awesome so it's not a bad thing anyway :)

Poor quality video! The most awesome thing about this game is the amount of stuff going on the screen. Dust, leaves, tracers, smoke effects.... this makes me truly appreciate next gen. I hope the vehicle levels are awesome! Great job insomniac

Oh and the game looks intense and difficult! Running and gunning will get you killed X-D

Angelcurio

Gold Member
What the hell is wrong with this server, i cant get more faster than 10.0 k in that server.

Edit: GOd bless Blimblim and playsyde.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Doom_Bringer said:
Poor quality video!
yeah no shit, game informer needs to get a better camcorder. :lol
but i thought cameras werent allowed in the resistance MP/SP booth, i kinda wonder how they got some footage in the first place.

edit: corrected. :)

Bad_Boy said:
but i thought cameras werent allowed in the resistance MP booth, i kinda wonder how they got some footage in the first place.

Wait, this is multiplayer?

Bad_Boy said:
but i thought cameras werent allowed in the resistance MP booth, i kinda wonder how they got some footage in the first place.

yea those gears of war multiplayer vids were also of very horrible quality. DAMN U GAMEINFORMER!!

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Wollan said:
Sony party.
theres plenty of video footage from the sony party (see the ted price interview videos, the lair interview videos, genji 2 interviews, etc.). but i havent seen any from inside the resistance booth.

Wollan

What I meant was, this may be from the Sony party. Though I'm sure they would let more important press into the booth as well on the showfloor.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Wollan said:
What I meant was, this may be from the Sony party. Though I'm sure they would let more important press into the booth as well on the showfloor.
true, you might be right on that.

Top Bottom