• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews - Everspace 2. "It's Diablo in space".

Bragr

Banned
Everspace 2 has been in early access for 2 years on Steam and Xbox but is finally launching on April 6th. The game preview version on Game Pass will become the full game (I am 95% sure at least).

This time, they are ditching the rouge-lite aspects of the first game, and are creating a full-on single-player trading and combat space game. It's getting some solid reviews and the early access version has been well-received with good reviews on Steam.

GOdygUQ.jpg

sIcz8rj.jpg

- PC Gamer - 85%.
"Rockfish's space sim is the same sort of third-person open-world interplanetary adventure. It's Diablo in space; an RPG in which you play a conglomeration of engines and lasers as much as its pilot. It's different from its predecessor, 2017's Everspace, in one crucial way: the roguelike elements are gone."
https://www.pcgamer.com/everspace-2-review/

- Screenrant - 4 out of 5.
"Exploring areas, defeating enemy ships, and solving environment puzzles often yield new weapons and gear that offer a large variety of gameplay options to customize the kind of space fighter a player might want to be."
https://screenrant.com/everspace-2-pc-review/

- ButWhyTho - 9 out of 10
"Moving to an entirely new gameplay structure like Everspace 2 is no small feat, and few franchises have been able to do so successfully, and this new sequel has managed to do so more smoothly than ever before."
https://butwhytho.net/2023/04/review-everspace-2-adapts-and-transforms-pc/

a841a409-everspace2_wallpaper_003_3840x2160-1-1920x1080-1.jpg

hero-image.fill.size_1248x702.v1613593085.png

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Holy shit......I totally forgot this game was coming out of early access this month. Already own the game, but I've been holding off playing it. What I did play I really liked.

Glad to see the reviews are good.

BlackTron

So I kinda wasn't aware/forgot this existed so it snuck up on me, but it looks really good. Definitely trying and most likely actually playing this.

jaysius

Banned
After two years of early access, Rockfish Games is finally ready to bring Everspace 2 into full release, and it's got a date and everything: April 6. However, that's PC only, as Xbox Series X and S and PS5 will see an Everspace 2 release later this summer.

Saber

Gold Member
If the roguelite elements are removed then this could be a fun game to play for me. It's what destroyed my experience on the first one, I simply hated.

Not sure about the Diablo analogy, but gonna watch videos on the internet when it launches and see how it fairs.

SCB3

I thought this was Endless Space 2 and very confused as I've played that

However a nice accident as this looks pretty interesting

GymWolf

What is it that you think makes Diablo tick?
Tick? Like the main features?

Isometric view? Hack and slash? Dungeons? Skill points and builds? A fuckload of enemies on screen at the same time?

If someone doesn't know what the fuck everspace is, saying it's like diablo in space is a bit misleading, don't you think?

Warhammer 40.000 martyrs is a game that i would think of after hearing diablo in space, sure as hell not a spaceship shooter.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I mean, you can play a "demo" of the game now (there might also be a demo) and see if you like what they have on offer. Note, release content will NOT propagate to old saves so, if you've waited this long no reason to start.

That said the game is good, and from what I hear the endgame is also pretty decent as well. Genuinely shocked by the OPENCRITIC though. That said, I hope they've done some work on the in-game "cinematics" though I doubt they have.

. . .definitely looking forward to 1PM Thursday as I've played the game a bit but managed to hold off to not completely ruin the experience. Been waiting for a good spacey combat game (that looks good, cause this game does look quite nice).

Warhammer 40.000 martyrs is a game that i would think of after hearing diablo in space, sure as hell not a spaceship shooter.

Game is absolutely a looter, has "dungeons" and a skill/builds. That it isn't an action-RPG doesn't really change the fundamental roots of Diablo (Diablo would still be Diablo if it wasn't isometric, come on now). Everything else this game absolutely has, just reimagined in a different "view."

Last edited:

hlm666

If the roguelite elements are removed then this could be a fun game to play for me.
They are, so don't avoid it thinking it's a roguelite.

If someone doesn't know what the fuck everspace is, saying it's like diablo in space is a bit misleading, don't you think?
The comment is normally ment to explain the levelling and loot systems while not being a gaas. I get what you mean but i'm also not sure calling it a looter shooter is right because that carries gaas implications 99% of the time these days. Space arpg maybe? On a different note I think it's kind of a good thing it can't be pigeon holed easily.

On a slightly off topic thing, I never created a thread for this because I just couldn't be bothered with what would probably turn into some star citizen shitfest but i'll leave this here for people who are interested in things like everspace 2, freelancer, elite etc.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I mean, you can play a "demo" of the game now (there might also be a demo) and see if you like what they have on offer. Note, release content will NOT propagate to old saves so, if you've waited this long no reason to start.

That said the game is good, and from what I hear the endgame is also pretty decent as well. Genuinely shocked by the OPENCRITIC though. That said, I hope they've done some work on the in-game "cinematics" though I doubt they have.

. . .definitely looking forward to 1PM Thursday as I've played the game a bit but managed to hold off to not completely ruin the experience. Been waiting for a good spacey combat game (that looks good, cause this game does look quite nice).

Game is absolutely a looter. That it isn't an action-RPG doesn't really change the fundamental roots of Diablo (Diablo would still be Diablo if it wasn't isometric, come on now). Everything else this game absolutely has, just reimagined in a different "view."
Isometric view is not an important thing? Cmon now. You would have an even worse reaction from the crowd than what immortal got if they presented third person diablo or first person diablo.

Like i said, if you know shit about everspace, you would not guess a spaceship shooter after hearing diablo in space not even after 100 tries, let's be real, it play and look nothing like diablo even if it has similar core mechanics.

Look, I don't even give enough fucks about the game to continue this debate, mine was just a funny remark, you can call the game the dark souls of soccer games for what i care:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Tick? Like the main features?

Isometric view? Hack and slash? Dungeons? Skill points and builds? A fuckload of enemies on screen at the same time?

Loot. Diablo is a loot-grinder.

Ever since the first Diablo, it has been completely common to call other loot-heavy games Diablo-like. Everspace 2 is a heavy loot grinder.

PC gamer is perfectly within their rights in drawing that connection, it's a huge part of both games.

GymWolf

Loot. Diablo is a loot-grinder.

Ever since the first Diablo, it has been completely common to call other loot-heavy games Diablo-like. Everspace 2 is a heavy loot grinder.

PC gamer is perfectly within their rights in drawing that connection, it's a huge part of both games.
I mean sure you have to ignore all the things that are wildly different from gameplay to camera type to genre to type of skill requested to make that connection but sure, they both have loot...got it.

nikos

I actually just installed this two days ago and only played the tutorial so this is very timely. I'm in the mood for some space exploration. Looking forward to playing the final release.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Isometric view is not a diablo staple? Cmon now.

Aesthetically sure. The core of Diablo is not dependent on it being in isometric game. There are tons of isometric games out there. That's not the first thing people associate with Diablo though and I'm sure you know that.

Loot, build variety and replayability. Those are the things that should immediately come to mind when name dropping DIABLO, is what EVERSPACE2 has and is likely why the headline uses it.

I mean sure you have to ignore all the things that are wildly different from gameplay to camera type to genre to type of skill requested to make that connection but sure, they both have loot...got it.

Oh brother. Like, when SW Fallen Jedi came out and it was described as a third-person Metroidvania, did you furrow your brow, totally unable to understand the comparison as the camera, setting, genre and overly specific gameplay elements differed between the two games.

This is a really silly hill that you're snarking on.

Diablo in space....my ass
This game have 0 similarity's with diablo...not even close.....

. . .I mean, if you haven't played the game that's fine, but you really can't drop definitives like this if you haven't.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Aesthetically sure. The core of Diablo is not dependent on it being in isometric game. There are tons of isometric games out there. That's not the first thing people associate with Diablo though and I'm sure you know that.

Loot, build variety and replayability. Those are the things that should immediately come to mind when name dropping DIABLO, is what EVERSPACE2 has and is likely why the headline uses it.

. . .I mean, if you haven't played the game that's fine, but you really can't drop definitives like this if you haven't.
This is like saying that doom being in first person is not a core staple and that third person or isometric doom would be A-ok because you just need demons to kill, cmon...

Being Isometric is a big part of diablo, let's not kid ourselves.

Last edited:

amigastar

Sorry if it's been asked already but is the 1.0 version on Game Pass? I know the preview version is on Game Pass but what about the release version?
If that's the case i will be playing it for sure.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

I played first one & gameplay from videos from second one don't look like diablo game....is Boderlands diablo game ?
Because have usual rainbow item color loot & dungeons ?

amigastar

Is an SSD recommended?
I won't play it with HOTAS probably, though.
I love the Diablo 2 aspect so probably this will be a game for me.
StereoVsn StereoVsn
there is a cockpit view watch the video at 3:26

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Is an SSD recommended?
I won't play it with HOTAS probably, though.
I love the Diablo 2 aspect so probably this will be a game for me.
StereoVsn StereoVsn
there is a cockpit view watch the video at 3:26

Oh, cool, may give it a shot. Ship differences and customization seems a bit limited but we don't have a lot of space games of these sort so might as well support.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Diablo in space would be something more like Drox Operative 1 & 2 or Escape Velocity Nova and Rebel Galaxy (not Outlaw). If controlling a ship is a prequisite excluding Phantasy Star Online and other such stuff of course.

Last edited:
Top Bottom