• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews - Everspace 2. "It's Diablo in space".

Well, most people do consider looter shooters as an offshoot of Diablo. Personally, I'm just happy to have another space game. Getting two of them (X4 expansion) in one month feels nice.

Topher

Gold Member
HOTAS Ready: check

AJLBqov.jpg

Buggy Loop

Nah....just Elite Dangerous so far. I've been eyeing DCS for a bit though.

Wow, big investment for Elite dangerous, hardcore player?

Gotta print dat 671 pages DCS A-10C Warthog flight manual and forget life for the next months as you literally become a pilot :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Wow, big investment for Elite dangerous, hardcore player?

Gotta print dat 671 pages DCS A-10C Warthog flight manual and forget life for the next months as you literally become a pilot :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Not hardcore. I just like the build quality. Got tired of creaky plastic HOTAS.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Have to wait until 1PM my time tomorrow to play this game.

From their steam page:
"Since we’ve had so many of you ask, this is a quick post to share that EVERSPACE 2 will release April 6 at 10am PT / 1pm ET / 6pm GMT / 7pm CET."

Just call it

"the star citizen squadron 42 that actually exists".

Funny someone finally made the Freelancer sequel and they didn't even need half a billion Eurodollars.

amigastar

Have to wait until 1PM my time tomorrow to play this game.

From their steam page:
"Since we’ve had so many of you ask, this is a quick post to share that EVERSPACE 2 will release April 6 at 10am PT / 1pm ET / 6pm GMT / 7pm CET."
So it releases exactly in 45 minutes. Nice. Waiting for it.
Mercador Mercador I would imagine, yes. It would be strange to not support controller. But from what I've understand its build around M&K.

Last edited:

amigastar

So when's the Game Pass version is updated to 1.0? I wanna install it from Game Pass but it's still saying "Game Preview"
Edit: It seems the Game Pass version is delayed for one week.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
So when's the Game Pass version is updated to 1.0? I wanna install it from Game Pass but it's still saying "Game Preview"
Edit: It seems the Game Pass version is delayed for one week.
They will update it with a patch sometime today to make it 1.0 but it will still say EARLY PREVIEW edition.

From their steam:

Further clarity for Gamepass!
If you have the game installed, it should update automatically at launch to an almost-full release build (this is to circumvent certification delays, so you can play as soon as possible). Our best guess ETA would be around a week when the true 1.0 goes live on Gamepass. Playing this build won't miss anything between saves, so you can freely start without the need to restart again.

EDIT: The developer tried to CIRCUMVENT some of MS's certifications process and the retarded marketing put the date for GAMEPASS as TODAY, but it looks like it won't be out until TOMORROW and will still say Early Preview.

For a small Indie team, they should know the rules, or at least their marketing team should.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
They will update it with a patch sometime today to make it 1.0 but it will still say EARLY PREVIEW edition.

From their steam:

EDIT: The developer tried to CIRCUMVENT some of MS's certifications process and the retarded marketing put the date for GAMEPASS as TODAY, but it looks like it won't be out until TOMORROW and will still say Early Preview.

For a small Indie team, they should know the rules, or at least their marketing team should.
Damn, so basically, when it gets updated to "Early Preview" sometime tomorrow, we can start playing, as it's pretty much the same as 1.0 and saves carryover.

jaysius

Banned
Damn, so basically, when it gets updated to "Early Preview" sometime tomorrow, we can start playing, as it's pretty much the same as 1.0 and saves carryover.
That's what they're saying. I'm guessing you won't earn achievements.

What a marketing fuckup.

Apologists/morons are trying to blame MS, when the devs themselves are admitting to trying to circumvent a process.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So, if I try to use my flight stick in combination with my keyboard (for lack of a nice throttle with enough inputs) the framerate crawls to 1-2 or less because the gui constantly shifts from showing the dinput device button mappings to showing the keyboard mappings.

Will clearling all inputs and assigning each only to the device I want to use without alternate mappings for other devices fix this or it's hard coded to only utilize one device type at a time in this way?

Pretty big issue, I thought the game just ran this badly in motion for my PC when I was pressing W to thrust and at the same time had the stick tilted to turn and what not.

All cockpit games of this sort need to be able to accept more than 1 controller at once without issue. At least in the presets I didn't see anything about having both stick and keyboard, it was only that, or keyboard and mouse, or gamepad in the presets.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
ive-been-looking-forward-to-this-dooku.gif

I was super stoked to first hear that this will ditch the rougelike style of the first game because that genre is totally not for me. I've also been waiting for so long for this to leave early access. Time to dive in at last.

AJLBqov.jpg
Is it really a joystick game, though? The first one felt very arcade-like, as in, not really something that you'd bust out a HOTAS for.

Topher

Gold Member
ive-been-looking-forward-to-this-dooku.gif

I was super stoked to first hear that this will ditch the rougelike style of the first game because that genre is totally not for me. I've also been waiting for so long for this to leave early access. Time to dive in at last.

Is it really a joystick game, though? The first one felt very arcade-like, as in, not really something that you'd bust out a HOTAS for.

Any game that has flight controls can be a HOTAS game. This game even has presets for HOTAS. I'm enjoying it so far.

VN1X

Banned
Can you NeoNerds stop getting caught up on perfectly reasonable terminology.

Diablo has been used to describe tons of games over the years lol. It's a quick way to highlight that a title might share some of the same systems/mechanics with the age old loot-em-up.

nikos

Was looking forward to playing 1.0 on Game Pass PC today. This is another example of why I still buy some Game Pass games on Steam.

Microsoft should change their process for PC games, or at least let us agree and opt-in to direct game updates from devs with the "risk" of experiencing bugs.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
So, if I try to use my flight stick in combination with my keyboard (for lack of a nice throttle with enough inputs) the framerate crawls to 1-2 or less because the gui constantly shifts from showing the dinput device button mappings to showing the keyboard mappings.

Will clearling all inputs and assigning each only to the device I want to use without alternate mappings for other devices fix this or it's hard coded to only utilize one device type at a time in this way?

Pretty big issue, I thought the game just ran this badly in motion for my PC when I was pressing W to thrust and at the same time had the stick tilted to turn and what not.

All cockpit games of this sort need to be able to accept more than 1 controller at once without issue. At least in the presets I didn't see anything about having both stick and keyboard, it was only that, or keyboard and mouse, or gamepad in the presets.

There is an Input Method Override list in the Input menu that includes Joystick & Keyboard. Might give that a try.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Man I’ve been sleeping on this. The first one’s been in my library for some time too. Is that one similar?

Topher

Gold Member
Man I’ve been sleeping on this. The first one’s been in my library for some time too. Is that one similar?

This one isn't a rogue-like. Has a lot of RPG and loot elements. So far it is fun, but buggy as shit. Damn game is crashing quite a bit for me while I'm simply trying to map out HOTAS buttons.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This one isn't a rogue-like. Has a lot of RPG and loot elements. So far it is fun, but buggy as shit. Damn game is crashing quite a bit for me while I'm simply trying to map out HOTAS buttons.

Looks good. You’d think they’d have the bugs mostly ironed out after coming out of early access - but I’ve heard it’s a really small team,

jaysius

Banned
Gamepass Update is finally live!

You need to download the Everspace 2(Game Preview), next week it'll be the same version without that tag... again because the developer fucked up.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

AJLBqov.jpg
Respect for the 8bit Do Ultimate Controller in the back best controller of the last two years! What have we here.....a man of true culture perhaps: what appears to be a keychron Q7 tkl 70 I think. Cannot tell for sure...the backlight is throwing me off. That is probably a Logitech MX mini in which case I award you zero points...and may god have mercy on your soul.

Topher

Gold Member
Respect for the 8bit Do Ultimate Controller in the back best controller of the last two years! What have we here.....a man of true culture perhaps: what appears to be a keychron Q7 tkl 70 I think. Cannot tell for sure...the backlight is throwing me off. That is probably a Logitech MX mini in which case I award you zero points...and may god have mercy on your soul.

Yeah, absolutely spoiled with the 8bitdo Ultimate. Best controller ever made, imo. As far as the keyboard, your first guess was better than your second. That is a Drop ENTR keyboard complete with shine-through PBT keys. Love this thing.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Yeah, absolutely spoiled with the 8bitdo Ultimate. Best controller ever made, imo. As far as the keyboard, your first guess was better than your second. That is a Drop ENTR keyboard complete with shine-through PBT keys. Love this thing.
Ok, faith restored. Mass drop makes some good decks!

jaysius

Banned
Those keyboards are so cool, if you use one all the time and constantly, you get to get this operation that looks like you've tried to slit your wrists, what's cooler than that? You can walk around saying "You wanna know how I got these scars?"

haunting the dark knight GIF

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Those keyboards are so cool, if you use one all the time and constantly, you get to get this operation that looks like you've tried to slit your wrists, what's cooler than that?

Nothing really "cool" about it. Just a basic quality backlit mechanical keyboard.

jaysius

Banned
Nothing really "cool" about it. Just a basic quality backlit mechanical keyboard.
Oh yea, I'm saying it's not even a matter of IF it's WHEN if you're using a keyboard with no ergonomics.

EDIT: Laugh now ya clown, when you've got carpal tunnel and get that surgery I'm sure it'll shut you up.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
That worked, thx. Not sure it's very flight stick friendly, can't aim for shit, lol.
It's an arcade style game, not Elite Dangerous, I doubt they put any effort at all into making joysticks feel good in the game.

Like going to a Kia meet up hoping to see nice cars.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
That worked, thx. Not sure it's very flight stick friendly, can't aim for shit, lol.

I'm not having much problem aiming myself. Just having some issues with it registering the wrong inputs and crashing/freezing. Might wait until they get get another patch or two out before jumping in fully.

Oh yea, I'm saying it's not even a matter of IF it's WHEN if you're using a keyboard with no ergonomics.

EDIT: Laugh now ya clown, when you've got carpal tunnel and get that surgery I'm sure it'll shut you up.

I'm laughing even more now that you are banned.

Bye Bye Goodbye GIF by Mickey Mouse

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I'm not having much problem aiming myself. Just having some issues with it registering the wrong inputs and crashing/freezing. Might wait until they get get another patch or two out before jumping in fully.
They stated on steam, that they've fucked it up so bad that when AUTO input is ON it thinks it'll get input from both... these guys, that and the HDR. It can cause crashes too if you don't select an input with any controller plugged in. It can even degrade performance.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Gamepass Update is finally live!

You need to download the Everspace 2(Game Preview), next week it'll be the same version without that tag... again because the developer fucked up.
Seems like Microsoft agreed to speed up the process and go straight past all the early preview/early access stuff.

It's available normally on Game Pass now.

jaysius

Banned
Seems like Microsoft agreed to speed up the process and go straight past all the early preview/early access stuff.

Great, I'll probably have to download it all over again then.

Last edited:

amigastar

Thats great to hear, gonna install it right now.
I've heard it crashes when you have MSI Afterburner running in the background. That would suck since i have Afterburner always running.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
After the first hour, I am very happy with it. I love the Descent/Forsaken style of gameplay.

It's extremely loot driven in a good way. Fly to an area, destroy ships, take the loot, go back to base, and upgrade/equip. Rinse repeat. I like it.

They should try and ask Microsoft to add the game to the "new games added" part of Game Pass. That's a great way to promote it.

amigastar

Message from Rockfish games
"Update on the situation: Rockstar Ingmar, our technical programmer, got out of bed and pressed the button! V0.11.33163.0 just went live on the Microsoft Store, and EVERSPACE 2 has officially left Game Preview.
This version is our safety release (aka the full release review build for media), containing all additions and major changes to the full release. We'll submit the latest version 1.0.xxxx for certification ASAP. /Michael"

Last edited:
Top Bottom