• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews - Everspace 2. "It's Diablo in space".

Topher

Gold Member
Having a blast playing this, but their HOTAS implementation is shit and I really don't want to wait for them to fix it. So putting away the Warthog and moving over to the 8bitdo. Now......to unlearn what I have learned.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Having a blast playing this, but their HOTAS implementation is shit and I really don't want to wait for them to fix it. So putting away the Warthog and moving over to the 8bitdo. Now......to unlearn what I have learned.
I played the demo with KB&M....how is controller support. Would much rather rock that if possible (Ie....if it is any good).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm not having much problem aiming myself.
Do you use pitch and yaw for main axis, I prefer pitch and roll with yaw as a rudder type movement on the twist or other input and it doesn't feel right here but maybe these ships' agility isn't meant for that and I need to switch to pitch and yaw and relegate roll elsewhere.

With the mouse & keyboard it just becomes a crosshair chaser while spamming consumables much like Freelancer which I always disliked for its core gameplay and never understood why it got so popular, as intuitive as it all was it just never felt fun like a real space game.

They should add VR support since Everspace had it, they could even do stuff like head (or eye) tracked weapons independent of the flight controls with it so basically even more effortless than the mouse and keyboard (still not as fun as fixed weapons in oldies but oh well).

Last edited:

Majukun

shame for the roguelike element gone, but if they are well replaced, is good for me.

also on gamepass so i can just try it and see

Topher

Gold Member
I played the demo with KB&M....how is controller support. Would much rather rock that if possible (Ie....if it is any good).

I'm going to try it with controller later today. I'll report back if no one else does.

Do you use pitch and yaw for main axis, I prefer pitch and roll with yaw as a rudder type movement on the twist or other input and it doesn't feel right here but maybe these ships' agility isn't meant for that and I need to switch to pitch and yaw and relegate roll elsewhere.

With the mouse & keyboard it just becomes a crosshair chaser while spamming consumables much like Freelancer which I always disliked for its core gameplay and never understood why it got so popular, as intuitive as it all was it just never felt fun like a real space game.

I did the exact same thing. Started with pitch and roll on main, but had to switch to pitch and yaw. I've mapped roll to a hat on the throttle. I'm starting to think about another stick setup because I find myself missing that Z axis more and more.

The biggest problem I'm having is that during heavy combat, the game will suddenly kick me to the inventory screen. After I get back to the battle, I have no control over firing. The game starts firing randomly. Annoying as hell.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

Controller overall is fine but there's a few bugs. There's a few bugs across this thing that kind of ruins the whole experience for me.

Having a great time overall - I love that they just tried to make an action game, including with environmental puzzles and other trappings you wouldn't expect - but this needed a final round of polish that I thought was what 0.8 to release was for. HDR STILL being broken is absurd.

. . . still, excellent game that I'm glad I didn't burn out on in EA.

Topher

Gold Member

I think controller is probably ok, but I'm having a hard time adjusting from HOTAS. HOTAS just gives much more intuitive movements across all the axis to me personally. I'm adjusting controller aiming sensitivity to next to nothing and still find myself unable to aim very well.

Alexios Alexios you were saying you were having that issue. What are you using? Winwing?

Alexios

I think controller is probably ok, but I'm having a hard time adjusting from HOTAS. HOTAS just gives much more intuitive movements across all the axis to me personally. I'm adjusting controller aiming sensitivity to next to nothing and still find myself unable to aim very well.

Alexios Alexios you were saying you were having that issue. What are you using? Winwing?
Lol, I wish.

I have a Trustmaster T16000M stick, the green old one before the orange FCS revision (it's the same product id and everything). I just chose that as low cost but precise flight stick cos it has the magnetic hall effect sensors same as their higher end products. I want to get the TWCS throttle but $.

So obviously keyboard commands are a must, not nearly enough inputs, though in Elite Dangerous I can get a much nicer set up and I love how that handles but don't love the rest of the game, lol.
So is there a Cockpit view? I've played for 20 minutes so far but didn't see a cockpit button.
Default is V.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Someone said it should be like Freelancer, so I was drawn to it. So now after a few missions it doesn't play that interesting. Will it get better?

The default gamepad controls are kinda ass. This would greatly benefit from the Deck's four extra back buttons so you don't have to use L3 to boost and R3 to roll. Seriously, whoever thought holding down R3 and using the stick at the same time is crazy.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Someone said it should be like Freelancer, so I was drawn to it. So now after a few missions it doesn't play that interesting. Will it get better?

I mean coming from someone who loves Freelancer, that sure sounds like freelancer...

SScorpio

Get a left handed flight stick and go HOSAS. It gives you game pad type control and works great for space sims. A lefty VKB Gladiator would be a good companion for the warthog.

Some people have two sticks and a throttle for main drives, and the sticks for dog fighting.

Topher

Gold Member
Get a left handed flight stick and go HOSAS. It gives you game pad type control and works great for space sims. A lefty VKB Gladiator would be a good companion for the warthog.

Some people have two sticks and a throttle for main drives, and the sticks for dog fighting.

I actually tried that last year with a Thrustmaster T1600 but decided I like HOTAS instead.

I reinstalled Everspace 2 and it looks like my issues went away.....knock on wood. Been playing for a few hours and none of that stuff is happening so could just be a corrupted file during install or something.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Having a blast with this game. Just got to the point where I can buy a new ship. Suddenly this game feels like Elite Dangerous but with an actual story. Pretty awesome.

Having a blast with this game. Just got to the point where I can buy a new ship. Suddenly this game feels like Elite Dangerous but with an actual story. Pretty awesome.
I never played the first but i'm absolutely loving this, should i go back and try the other one?

Gave me a reason to break out my flight stick, I suck with it but i'm having a great time lol

Topher

Gold Member
All the best games don't even get an OT I guess.

Deserves them. I'm still having a blast playing still. And by the way, Alexios Alexios ......

mk1iCOe.jpg

Love this thing

Last edited:

Hot5pur

Tried it a bit on gamepass, was quite fun, thinking of buying the game on steam, does it stay interesting through to the end with new stuff or is it mostly that just the numbers start going up at some point and you've seen everything there is to see half way through?
Just trying to justify the $50.

Duchess

How does this game play on a controller? When us console plebs get it, we'll not have the benefit of a keyboard, so...?

Topher

Gold Member
Tried it a bit on gamepass, was quite fun, thinking of buying the game on steam, does it stay interesting through to the end with new stuff or is it mostly that just the numbers start going up at some point and you've seen everything there is to see half way through?

I've got about 60 hours in. There is a bit of a learning curve to understand how all the different systems work. Once you get how crafting items and components work then it opens up quite a bit and gives you a lot more avenues of gameplay and motivates you to engage more in resource gathering and such. So I'm enjoying it, but I'm also a guy who loves sinking in a ton of hours building up my ship stats. The story is good though and that helps a lot.

The big negative, to me, is that it seems like that it is extremely rare that loot drops that is better than what I have already. It isn't like Diablo where you can expect to change out equipment on a fairly regular basis. At this point, I'm looking more at upgrading than loot drops. It is kind of disappointing, at times, that after going through a ton of enemies that I have a bunch of shit that I know I'm probably just going to dismantle for parts or sell.

There are a decent number of mission types, but at this point I've done them all a good number of times and they are becoming repetitive, but I think that is probably to be expected after 60 hours. I'd pay $50 again, but I'm a sucker for these type of games.

hlm666

I've finished the story, not alot really changes enemy wise. You will have seen most enemies before leaving the first galaxy. I havn't been enjoying this as much as the first one honestly, it sounds great on paper but in reality alot of the stuff you end up doing is puzzles and find looking for hidden things in the side quests and other area specific challenges. You will probably have worked out what 2 or 3 weapons work best for you in the first galaxy and use them for the remainder of the game and you might buy a different ship. I bought my second one about 30% through the story and my 3rd post story for the end game which you can read about below.
The big negative, to me, is that it seems like that it is extremely rare that loot drops that is better than what I have already. It isn't like Diablo where you can expect to change out equipment on a fairly regular basis. At this point, I'm looking more at upgrading than loot drops. It is kind of disappointing, at times, that after going through a ton of enemies that I have a bunch of shit that I know I'm probably just going to dismantle for parts or sell.
Don't grind for loot early, do the side quests as you get gold (legendary I think they are called) from rewards from some of those but the real kicker is you can only have 1 equipped at a time...... so stupid. You can buy expensive legendary ships later after buying all the perks from one of the npcs that let you equip a 2nd gold tier item.

That leads us to end game loot grind, after the story you have the ability to do these missions much like those consumable items that generate a mission with enemy buffs and increased loot quality chance. Except you don't need those items and you can also dial the difficulty up to insane levels where you end up having to abuse the take no damage for 4 hits after device use skill to survive because you get fraked up in seconds otherwise.

So in the end I was kind of disappointed and enjoyed the roguelite first one more even though I generally like games in this kinda genre more.

Hot5pur

I decided to start with the first game, and I have to say it has really exceeded my expectations.
It is a roguelite and it does get grindy, but the gameplay is so good. I think they basically kept it the same for the sequel.
I also really like the characters and whatever story there is.
A really nice AA game, and it's on sale for like $4. I recommend getting it with the DLC as part of the ultimate edition for like $8 (on instant-gaming).
Somehow managed to put in like 16 hours since last Thursday, got to sector 6 so far...
Will definitely grab the sequel, but after Diablo 4.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I am gonna hop into this one. It sounds like Rockfish has finally made the game they've wanted to make for the last 10 years.

Alexios

I'd like to have a mod(e) to start without the main story tbh, it's kinda meh to me, mostly its cheap presentation with some 2D artwork at best and just portraits chatting at most.

Some kind of fast start at some other system where you can take on random jobs or explore and loot before being able to reach further and further into higher level territories...

Like Freelancer's multiplayer.

Last edited:
It's great! I love the story being presented in dialogue boxes and in mission chatter, no long boring ass cutscenes constantly undercutting stuff.
Gameplay is airtight and silky smooth like the first one. As a fan of roguelikes, I was bummed they were ditching that aspect of it, but the loot system and leveling that replace it make for excellent hooks.
I expected that I would highly enjoy this and I wasn't mistaken.

Isa

I tried Chorus but didn't get on with it. Interested in this game, though. Have always loved a space shooter.

(Bring back Wing Commander, you cowards!)
Man what I wouldn't give for that! Hell, I'd take just a collection of their past greats, the Wing Commander collection, Strike Commander, Privateer 1&2. If only...

Still gonna get down on Everspace 2 and hope I like it. I just miss that classic feel those games had.

amigastar

People, do NOT do this in any circumstance if you can help it. Anything goes wrong with winstore disk reservation or app db, and it's going to be Windows reinstall potentially.

Don't f around with your boot drive.
Hmm, never had anything wrong with my harddrive, stop spreading panic, man.

StereoVsn

How is the game itself now days? I actually have it on Steam, I think from Humble.

I liked the first one, but always wanted it to have proper story and progression, not be roguelite.

amigastar

You have never had an issue personally. Look up problems with Win Store based large games (Game pass uses this).
This is a really bad idea.
So you are telling me Microsoft ignores this Game Pass installation issue? Why. Why didn't they fix it, by now?
Can't blame me that i thought a standard feature like installing on you C:\ hard drive was fine.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

So you are telling me Microsoft ignores this Game Pass installation issue? Why. Why didn't they fix it, by now?
Can't blame me that i thought a standard feature like installing on you C:\ hard drive was fine.
I have no idea why they haven't fixed it. Because the shit is baked into Windows? Because they don't care? Because they don't have competent engineers working it?

The problem has been around since Windows Vista days.

Mossybrew

Ok only 2 hours in but man this game is slick. If you are into flight/space shooters this is a nobrainer, especially if you like leveling up/gear drops/crafting/customizing & tinkering, all in support of very smooth gameplay, and the game looks sharp. I like the tactile element of being able to grab & carry stuff with your ship. I like how I can come upon a random derelict escape pod, scan it, and it opens up a side mission. My only complaint so far was your ship slowly corrected rolls to settle on a more 2d plane, but then I found you could turn this off with Auto Rolling in the settings.

Early hours but this game is hitting all the right buttons for me.

Pimpbaa

Its not letting me download

If you are on Xbox, than changing you region to UK allows you to download it (doing that now).

edit: Doing this also updated my Series X with the new UI, weird.

edit2: game has no fucking HDR, Jesus so sick of this with the unreal engine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom