• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer 7 info coming Friday... aka Wednesday (scans pg4)

VNZ

BenjaminBirdie said:
Since Sony seems to be adopting the same PSP menu scheme, and presumably it will be overlapped onto the game screen. Looking at the RR menu design (as always a very nice set up) isn't the PS3's white text going to get lost when it appears over this particular menu? Is there any kind of QA or guidelines being made by Sony about this sort of thing? (Even if they grey out the screen, the white might still be a problem.) Maybe it'll come out in front of a black bar?
On PSP the OSD/menu is rendered with a dark outer glow.

m0dus said:
With RR6, the lighting conditions of the track really make a difference. There don't seem to be many shots of the clear skies tracks around for some reason. Anyway, here's a couple more. Cause they're pretty.

Still too bloom lightingy looking for my tastes, but yes RR6 does look nice.

Angelcurio

Gold Member
rr71hf4.jpg

rr72ay4.jpg

rr74wu1.jpg

rr75al3.jpg

Dante

YES!! I've been playing RR6 off an on all day. Can't praise it enough. These new large shots look great. The more RR media the better! :) Also Great trees and vegitation, It's nice that they put so much detail in stuff, even though it'll be blazing by at 60 fps :)

Kangu

Banned
They seem to be at the exact size where they look good but if they were a little bigger they could either be phenomenal or awful.

Raistlin

Kangu said:
They seem to be at the exact size where they look good but if they were a little bigger they could either be phenomenal or awful.

Based on this pic

rr71hf4.jpg

While it's hard to judge the road texture, I'd say we can definitely say for sure that the vegetation is phenomenal.

Just look at the stuff overhanging the road on the right. I’ve never seen anything like it

0_0

Seriously, the more I look at it ... I think the LESS I believe this is realtime.

RaijinFY

Onix said:
Based on this pic

rr71hf4.jpg

While it's hard to judge the road texture, I'd say we can definitely say for sure that the vegetation is phenomenal.

Just look at the stuff overhanging the road on the right. I’ve never seen anything like it

0_0

Seriously, the more I look at it ... I think the LESS I believe this is realtime.

Funny shit, was thinking the same thing...

bullshot FTL! :((((((((((

Well, i cant wait to see a video of it but needs to lower my damn expectations.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Fck all the nitpicking... This is RR7. I could care less about the type of blur used as I burn those turns. I'm liking the new vehicle designs.

What, if anything, is this game doing to advance the series? RRV to RR6 was a tremendous jump in all areas.

Dante

People went from hating on these shots when they were tiny, now they are being called bullshots in the larger versions. Usually it happens the other way around :)

Jonnyram said:
You keep saying this, but what will car customization achieve that wasn't already done in R4 or RRV?

I haven't played RRT4 in awhile but isn't all you could do in it was customize how you car looked? RR7 allows you to do that and customize what actually goes into your car (as in what's going to effect how it handles). Rage is the game you should be bringing up as it did a bit more. BUt nothing as in depth as it seems RR7 will be doing.

Yamaha98

Ridge Racer, A racing franchise that lacked the licensing from auto manufactures but still enjoyed by many. Probably why it makes 'launch title' for many console introductions? :)

Kangu

Banned
Onix said:
Based on this pic

rr71hf4.jpg

0_0

That's just it. It looks like the vegetation could be awesome, but what if it's a pixelated blurry mess in full res? It's impossible to say.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
re: the foliage, i assume it's constructed like the foliage in most games these days, and happens to look spectacular at that angle -- the illusion of its denseness and realism probably dissipates at other angles. it would be surprising if namco snuck one bullshot into a batch of shots that are very clearly real.

i don't know enough about hdr to spot it -- and i've noted the epic pwnage of shogmaster in that fight night thread -- but the lighting does seem more sophisticated than rr6's. and i like rr6's lighting...as much on the dimly-lit sunset tracks as the bright ones. the night tracks looked pretty poor.

Speevy

Banned
Yeah, we can get some fantastic trees and foliage this generation. With the right artists, any of these scenes are possible.

Of course, I'd rather walk through such beautiful places than drive past them.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looking great!

Consider the lack of 60 fps games on the horizon and comments from developers that it is harder than ever to achieve, I'm thrilled with visuals like this at 60 fps. It looks better than RR6, no doubt, and RR6 is still awesome looking. I was just playing it last night, as a matter of fact. Can't get enough of it. Pulling a chair directly in front of the TV, turning down the lights, turning up the sound, and playing Ridge Racer 6 is a truly wonderful experience. Everything around you melts away and the 60 fps goodness draws you closer as you perfect each move.

I'm glad that, no matter the platform, Namco insists on delivering 60 fps to its fans. Thank you Namco, you rock!

jett

D-Member
Larger res confirmes that previous pics were bullshots, the road textures aren't as detailed.

It's still a nice, acceptable looking game, I just wish the cars had better lighting or something.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Elios83 said:
It's looking great and in motion it will be even better.
TGS FTW (I hope the demo features this forest track).
I'm not all that interested in the forest track myself, actually. I want to see more city action. RR6 didn't offer nearly enough in-city action for my tastes and it was disappointing. The game looks best when handling non-organic tracks as well.

ourumov

I hope they throw more effects...at least to the asphalt...Looks a bit plain IMO...

I hope to hear TGS impressions saying this is RRV-2

alterego

Screen sizes slowly getting bigger.

These are 720p screens:

EDIT: Seems like these are just stretched versions of the screens above.

Mmmkay

alterego said:
Screen sizes slowly getting bigger.

These are 720p screens:
Hah, that's pretty funny. I checked them a while ago and they were 960x540. These look a hell of a lot like they've just upscaled those 960x540 screenshots to 720p.

Yep just checked, upscaling a GameSpot screen against the IGN ones. *sigh*

Kangu said:
Looks kind of nasty to me. Why is it so grainy? Compression?

From the post above you...(is this faulty screengrab ethics, and who's the culprit?)

Mmmkay said:
Hah, that's pretty funny. I checked them a while ago and they were 960x540. These look a hell of a lot like they've just upscaled those 960x540 screenshots to 720p.

Yep just checked, upscaling a GameSpot screen against the IGN ones. *sigh*

Mmmkay

I'm probably a minority in this pet peeve, but I dream of a day where the native resolution of the screenshots supplied by the publisher is indicated by the gaming site hosting them.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
grumble grumble. releasing proper 720p caps of next-gen games should be the easiest thing in the world.

Top Bottom