• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 7 |OT| Did you not or did you not come for me today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I enjoyed the ride! :>
(Winner Spoiler)
And I'm so happy that the "bitchy" little purple flower won!
But...there is definitely a lot that needs to be learned from season 7.
The challenge balance was way off for one, there were too many (or at least it felt like it) acting/comedy team challenges; I really shouldn't be saying "Again???!" every week I watch drag race.
:p

Eek, it seems grim in here. I am definitely okay with the winner. Tbh I didn't care who won but my barometer for hype was

Ginger = Yay!

Pearl = Woo expected!

Violet = YAAAAS BITTTCCCHH COME THRRROUUGHH!!

But Violet isn't necessarily my favorite. This season the choice was clear as this one person has been consistent throughout the competition. I think Katya overall should of won hands down. I think Katya had the full package, if not maybe lacking in one, but the personality and fashion execution really was on point. But I'm still happy with this winner. If her pussy wasn't on fire before, well, that shit is radiating a 1000 degrees right now.

The biggest thing I'll remember about season 7 was that people overwhelmingly thought Katya deserved to win. At the gay bar tonight people freaked the fuck out when Ru called her name out. Truly the star of the season and one of the most lovable people ever to be on this show. We were all just waiting for her interview most of the time.

Good for the winning queen, though it wouldn't have mattered who out of the three won. The best queen wasn't in the running and everybody knew it

I really liked Katya, she's super charming but...
maybe I need to rewatch the season becuase I never saw her as top 3 material.
I don't rember her doing well in any of the fashion/beauty/design challenges (she was middling at best) and I barely remember her runway game.
I'll never understand the "Katya was the clear winner thing!" sentiment.

kirblar

I don't rember her doing well in any of the fashion/beauty/design challenges (she was middling at best) and I barely remember her runway game.
Katya blew the others out on the Charisma axis.

Also, the whole thing makes even more sense now that we know whats next.

Katya blew the others out on the Charisma axis.

Sure, but I don't see how that would have made her a clear winner.
Honestly, if she really was she would have stayed.
:p

Edit: She was a very strong contender though and I honestly would have preferred her over Ginger. That crazy applause she got tonight was definitly deserved. Haha

Rayis

Really happy with the winner, there was nobody in that top 3 who deserved it more, say what you want about season 7 but the fashion this season was on point, and it introduced us to Katya, who definitely became a legendary queen.

My predictions for All-Stars 2

S1:Ongina, Porkchop
S2: Morgan,McMichaels, Tatianna
S3:Shangela, Delta Work
S4:Willam,Phi Phi O'Hara
S5: Alaska, Detox
S6:
Trinity K Bonnet
(spoilered confirmed to be in it) ,Adore
S7:Katya,Max

This is more of a wishlist than a prediction tbh

I am still heartbroken at how Max was treated in the show and in the reunion. He didnt deserved that.

I wonder if he pissed off a producer or something.

Anyway, Violet was the correct answer. Still, in my opinion, the weakest winner since Tyra.

Monocle

Alright, I suppose I'm OK with the winner. Seeing her standing there next to the other two, it was clear she was the right choice out of the top three.

I'm just plain bitter about Katya though. No amount of knowing winks and playful nods toward her brilliance and popularity can make up for the way she was robbed this season. Miss Congeniality? Might as well drop any pretense of respect and hand her a Burger King crown. I can only hope she takes after Willam and Alaska and slays so fucking hard from here on that no one can deny she was winner material.

Wilsongt

A lot of her charm came post show with her Youtube/Twitter/Instagram/Reddit presence.

mantidor

Max seemed so much more genuine when hes not pretending to be British.

He's pretending to be 40s/50s hollywood star, not british, I wish he would have explained that better, or maybe she did and it was edited out because the producers seem to hate her.

A lot of her charm came post show with her Youtube/Twitter/Instagram/Reddit presence.

Kind of like Alyssa and Willam.
I remember watching her web show and really liking it (I remember she looked absolutely gorgeous as well. Like, I don't remember her makeup looking as good as it did there in rpdr) I'm gonna have to check more of it out.

Btw guys, most of you might know this but there is an official crossdressing and drag thread where you can discuss anything drag or gender bending related post show.

edit:

He's pretending to be 40s/50s hollywood star, not british, I wish he would have explained that better, or maybe she did and it was edited out because the producers seem to hate her.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she's speaking with an old school mid-atlantic accent seeing as she's talked about emulating 40s/50s Hollywood starlets.

KiN0

That's probably somewhat on point.
One of the reasons why I was initially attracted to queens like Max, Pearl and Violet is because we're the same age.
Like, seeing Violet Chachki reference cartoon characters such as Cynthia (Rugrats) and HIM (Powerpuff Girls) in her drag shows is just amazing; the generational connection we share makes her incredibly charming and alluring to me.
Also, it really helps a lot when young queens like Max and Violet are so put together aesthetically; honestly, I probably would have liked Adore more if she had Violet's eye for beauty/fashion/design/aesthetics.

Don't get me wrong though, I absolutely adore older queens like Raja, Bianca, and Courtney (though, Courtney is relatively young all things considered); I can connect with them in different ways, and no amount of nostalgic connections and shared experiences will make me put a younger queen over a fierce older queen.

Edit:

Hey now, she's definitely drag queen; there is absolutely no reason to take that identity away from her just because she's not a stellar comedian or actor.
In the real world, drag queens don't generally do half the stuff that's required from them on drag race to be successful or loved...mostly because it's really unnecessary.
No one expects a drag queen to know how to act, model, do makeup, dance, make people laugh, or sing all at the same time; most of the time, their audience generally expects their favorite queens to entertain them with their strengths.
If you had said, "She's more of a project runway contestant than a drag race contestant" I'd kind of understand where you're coming from but ultimately disagree.

Drag race is not really representative of real world drag; it's mostly a game show.

Oops, I should have been more clear. I never meant to insinuate that she wasn't a real drag queen or anything like that. The bolded is what I meant to say.

It's not that her performances have been bad, I just don't think any of them have really stood out to me. In a way, she's kind of like Courtney, albeit with more interesting runway looks.

B-Dex

Still not up. I fear going online until I watch it lol. No idea what the holdup is.

Ru better not be some shady ho trying to say the reunion is a separate show.

Kerned

Banned
Max's accent was off putting and pretentious in a way that I just could not get behind, especially when he insisted on doing it out of drag.

I almost shit myself when Katya came out at the end, half hoping it was real even though it would've been totally unfair on the top 3 - clearly she was THE star of the season and an obvious contender for winner of All Stars 2 if it ever happens (after season 8?)

I read a year or two back about them filming all top 3 each winning and nobody knowing who wins until the show airs, is this still the case? I know with social media there probably isn't a way around this - but if true I just feel it makes the final crowning such an anticlimactic moment (which maybe explains why it takes up such a short amount of time of the actual finale). I feel like we're not seeing the true reactions of everyone on stage at that moment.

Rewatching the whole season up to the penultimate episode last week I realised how much more I liked Kandy, Kennedy and a few others than I did initially although I'd become quite a fan of Kennedy about halfway through the season at least. And others I liked a lot less, especially Max.

Overall not my favourite season at all but more balanced than season 6. I want Drag Race 3.0 for season 8 though, I feel like we needed it this season but only got DR v2.2 or something - some fresh titles, new challenges and focus on the creative side of the queens rather than group acting challenges there were just far too many this year. And I want Carson Kresley out too, he isn't funny or witty. Ross is fine, in fact I wanted to hear more from him during the judging.

Finally - I'd like a directors cut of the finale episode where they replaced all the shots of that Miley Ray Cyrus girl, I'm sure we would get a good 20 minutes of new footages - we get it, she's famous and she's in the audience but I didn't tune in for this bitch :|

Gradon

I read a year or two back about them filming all top 3 each winning and nobody knowing who wins until the show airs, is this still the case? I know with social media there probably isn't a way around this - but if true I just feel it makes the final crowning such an anticlimactic moment (which maybe explains why it takes up such a short amount of time of the actual finale). I feel like we're not seeing the true reactions of everyone on stage at that moment.

Yes, here's the top three reaction watching the reunion.
They do it because someone who worked on drag race spilled
Raja's
win before Season 3 finished airing.
I think it's pretty weird and must be a kick to the balls if you're crowned and then have to prance like you won only to find you didn't.

So, ALL STARS TWO IS HAPPENING!!!!!

The leak is from an international TV show distribution company.

casting spoiler:
Trinity K Bonet is very likely our first known contestant (in addition to the obvious ones.)

8 episodes this time. I'm guessing they go double-elims, but no teams.

On one hand, fuck yes, finally. On the other, y only 8.

There's a nice, hefty pool of queens now. Gimme a 25 episode season. REALLY get into it.

KiN0

I never had a problem with the two of them. They were no more shady than queens from past seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGyEQjAy_pg

A fan untucked with Ginger and Katya.

My problem with Kennedy wasn't so much the shade, but the the fact that she kept coming for people despite the fact that her own act was a total mess. After her snatch game victory, I began to warm up to her because she started to actually deliver some nice performances.

zeopower6

Pearl did a modeling project with Wilhelmina Models and the pictures are pretty sick'ning. The ones with makeup by Cynthia are perfection~

kirblar

My problem with Kennedy wasn't so much the shade, but the the fact that she kept coming for people despite the fact that her own act was a total mess. After her snatch game victory, I began to warm up to her because she started to actually deliver some nice performances.
The issue with Ginger/Kennedy was definitely the insecurity just radiating from them.

B-Dex

Jujubee, Shangela, Alyssa Edwards, Milk, Trixie Mattel and some more local queens are doing a show here. I need to get tix.

I want this to be the next All-Stars cast:

Ongina
Tatianna
Delta Work
Willam

Alaska
Alyssa
Detox
Ivy Winters

Adore
Courtney
Bendelacreme

Ginger Minj
Katya
Max

Just give me one from each season up til 4, then gimme mostly 5, 6 and 7 queens. Win

Why does everyone think All Stars 2 is around the corner, because of that Trinty K Bonet thing?

I've heard Ru & Michelle say a couple of times that they want to do it but it's not in the works and that season 8 is a done deal and starting work on it soon. I'd expect it after that if anything, and I wouldn't really want to see them dip further back than All Stars 1, those bitches had their chance. Queens like Alaska, Willam don't need AS2, so I think they would be taking soemone else's slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom