• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 7 |OT| Did you not or did you not come for me today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitanimus

I think at this point is fairly standard to completely ignore criticism from Michelle considering her inconsistency

"what's wrong with a costume Queen?"
*spends all last season nagging BDLC with "I wanna see the real you"*

Whatever, Michelle Visage IS Drag Race. Without her no one would really be getting real constructive criticism, plus the show is so spliced and edited that I'm sure her comments make much more sense in the right context.

Whatever, Michelle Visage IS Drag Race. Without her no one would really be getting real constructive criticism, plus the show is so spliced and edited that I'm sure her comments make much more sense in the right context.

I entirely agree. I don't always agree with her criticisms (like with Dela), but without her everyone would be stumbling in the dark, because she's the one that actually verbalizes things. She's sort of the surrogate viewer in that respect.

Totally disagree. The show would be fine without her. And her schtick feels so, so tired by now.

kirblar

The criticism Bendela was getting last year about "not seeing you" was a polite way of saying "you're coming off fake." Given his explanation for how he came up with the character/personality (hyper-cheery to deal with his RL depression), it makes sense - onstage he's not portraying an extension or exaggerated part of himself.

The criticism Bendela was getting last year about "not seeing you" was a polite way of saying "you're coming off fake." Given his explanation for how he came up with the character/personality (hyper-cheery to deal with his RL depression), it makes sense - onstage he's not portraying an extension or exaggerated part of himself.

Personally I never felt it was phony in that way. It did feel compulsively manic or like someone trying too hard, but I always thought that was 'the point' or that it was self-aware. It being that way gave it an edge of irony that it wouldn't otherwise have had.

teiresias

I've only really watched S4-S6, but Michelle seems to be the only one on the panel that actually verbalizes critique into something actually actionable beyond saying "your dress is sloppy." She also is one of the few that has good "character" critique beyond just the aesthetics question, in relation to performance beyond lip sync and actually connecting to an audience. Though I do agree she's inconsistent on that point - particularly in S6 when it came to Benda. I mean "I want to see the real you!!" she says, and then claims to see it the minute she comes out in a house fly costume . . . umm, ok.

I think at this point is fairly standard to completely ignore criticism from Michelle considering her inconsistency

"what's wrong with a costume Queen?"
*spends all last season nagging BDLC with "I wanna see the real you"*

Well...I mean, her "I'm the 'Simon' the mean judge! Dun dun duuun!" character/edit is so transparent (and very cliche) most of the time that I generally just "ignore" (for the lack of a better word) the majority of her criticism; it often does get quite inconstant in a lot of places...and she never lets up on what is and what isn't drag.
I'm still kind of annoyed that she thinks the queens always have to be "va-va-VOOM!" all the damn time, a lot of women actually don't have big hips and prominent boobs; I think for most people, a lot of the queens who choose to use their natural thin feminine boy bodies for their female clothing is believable enough to look great.

I was rooted for Dela last season, but agreed with the criticisms. Even in Untucked the others discussed it, and sometimes he would drop in and out of character when talking. Maybe Max will fall in to the same trap this season? I understand having a character and like it, but sometimes it feels like they are speaking from a mental script which can come off as phoney or not being real in certain situations.

Michelle's just doing her job.

mantidor

I just love Violet for coming out straight and saying she hates Visage.

But the award for Visage reading goes to the one and only Tammie Brown in All Stars, that was magnificent, but it sadly cost her and Nina their spot, because, I love Latrice and all, but Tammie killed that lipsync, I cannot think of any other reason they were let go like that.

For the unaware/forgetful and newcomers :p

edit: better video/tribute. I love Tammie.

she read ha for FILTH :p

I love that Ru fills the panel with these polarizing judges and just rises above it all. Basically what Tyra tried and failed to do on ANTM before the show literally became the parody of itself that Drag Race started off as.

Ru's the one flawless Glamazon supreme we can all agree on.

KiN0

Well...I mean, her "I'm the 'Simon' the mean judge! Dun dun duuun!" character/edit is so transparent (and very cliche) most of the time that I generally just "ignore" (for the lack of a better word) the majority of her criticism; it often does get quite inconstant in a lot of places...and she never lets up on what is and what isn't drag.
I'm still kind of annoyed that she thinks the queens always have to be "va-va-VOOM!" all the damn time, a lot of women actually don't have big hips and prominent boobs; I think for most people, a lot of the queens who choose to use their natural thin feminine boy bodies for their female clothing is believable enough to look great.

I honestly thought santino was supposed to be simon of the panel. Unfortunately, his comments just started getting less meaningful with each season.

I honestly thought santino was supposed to be simon of the panel. Unfortunately, his comments just started getting less meaningful with each season.

To be completely honest...I actually don't even remember what they were like before season 4.
:p

Edit: Also yeah, Santino definitely seemed like dead weight for a long while.

Vitanimus

eh when it comes to criticism Ru is even more useless than Michelle, at least she has something to say. 90% of the time he just sits there and agrees with what everyone else says

eh when it comes to criticism Ru is even more useless than Michelle, at least she has something to say. 90% of the time he just sits there and agrees with what everyone else says
I think he keeps a certain non-partial composure as he is the name, brand and star - I'm sure he has just as strong opinions as the other judges but has to keep a certain level of poise as the host. Class.

I just love Violet for coming out straight and saying she hates Visage.

But the award for Visage reading goes to the one and only Tammie Brown in All Stars, that was magnificent, but it sadly cost her and Nina their spot, because, I love Latrice and all, but Tammie killed that lipsync, I cannot think of any other reason they were let go like that.

For the unaware/forgetful and newcomers :p

edit: better video/tribute. I love Tammie.

Preach!

Tammie is the #1 all time queen of RPDR for me. I could watch her all day long.

I've only really watched S4-S6, but Michelle seems to be the only one on the panel that actually verbalizes critique into something actually actionable beyond saying "your dress is sloppy." She also is one of the few that has good "character" critique beyond just the aesthetics question, in relation to performance beyond lip sync and actually connecting to an audience. Though I do agree she's inconsistent on that point - particularly in S6 when it came to Benda. I mean "I want to see the real you!!" she says, and then claims to see it the minute she comes out in a house fly costume . . . umm, ok.

Yeah, Michelle's the only one who goes for every facet of the contestant's presentation and not just the outfit. Considering that she ends up TOURING with these girls her critiques come from a constructive place and aren't just there to make good television. Her criticisms are inconsistent because she approaches each contestant differently. She's more likely to read Roxxxy for a tiny fashion flaw than Alaska because Roxxxy is a pageant queen, where looks are everything. Whereas with Alaska she's going to comment on her personality and because Alaska is all about that kook. So to me it comes off as her wanting each contestant to be the best version of herself.

Case in point: Saying she was expecting more from Miss Fame on the runway. Understandable considering Miss Fame's entire schtick is in her high fashion looks. Saying she wants to see the "real" Bendela. Even though I had a problem with that at the time, I get where she's coming from. If you're going to display a character it needs to read as organic and it needs to connect to your real boy personality for it to feel authentic and not contrived. Dela's personality came off as phony to Michelle because it's nothing at ALL like he is in the workroom. So I get that criticism.

And if she thinks someone's really nailed her aesthetic, she asks them to try another style just to test their versatility. Which is why she ragged on Sharon to try glam.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
is that hairline on detox what is referred to as edges?
is it just sloppy or intentional? cos it looks rough

Now that Kelly Osborne's quit Fashion Police, I hope the show can snap her up as a permanent judge and kick Ross and that other guy to the curb.

She's one of the few guest judges in the show's herstory who actually:

a) knows the show inside and out
b) can speak the language
c) has given valuable, insightful, actionable critique

Not to mention that she has great chemistry with the panel.

DO IT RU

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Now that Kelly Osborne's quit Fashion Police, I hope the show can snap her up as a permanent judge and kick Ross and that other guy to the curb.

DO IT RU

I agree. Kelly sucked in FP but she would fit in Drag Race quite well.

DO IT RU

I'd actually really love to see Kelly be a permanent part of the cast.

zeopower6

Pearl / Miss Fame / MAX. My faves. Katya is also pretty awesome. Violet is probably top 3 with villain edit tbh. MAX has her character/concept down to a T and she's only 22. That MAX Collective though... and her boyfriend.

New Untucked is so refreshing.

Shawn Morales getting fired is a bit odd... I wonder why. (that tape was apparently not him)

Oh, is anyone interested in going to RuCon (Drag Race convention) in LA in a few months?

If anyone's up for watching the episode in full again, the Alaska + Bianca commentary track is AMAZING. Alaska Wintour was probably one of my favorite things about the premiere.

Monocle

DO IT RU
She would be perfect. Hope this happens.

Rayis

Today's elimination should have happened last week.

Totally agreed, I'm glad to see
Katya
didn't go home, I would have been pissed

Damn, Miss Fame is already getting read to filth, girl needs to step it up cuz I'd be sad if she goes home too soon, Violet is gorgeous but could dial down her bad attitude.

kirblar

I get the feeling miss fame is going to get the courtney edit.
Kinda feel like Trixie might be getting a winner edit here. Tons of personal life information being dropped about her relative to everyone else.

(I have no idea who's in top 3 so I'm just speculating.)

royalan

I'm happy with tonight's elimination, but y'all really do the most with the busted old queens who give you sob stories about dreams and age and shit.

I liked her as much as the next person, but homegirl from last week (whose name I've already forgotten) deserved her first home finish. Her look was busted. Her clothes? Busted. Her personality? Flatline. When it's the first episode and you're already relying on the "I'm an older queen!" excuses, that's when you know you really don't have much to offer.

Homegirl was an insult to the true older queens like Chad and Shannel, who despite their age came out on that runway dragging the younger queens.

KiN0

I'm happy with tonight's elimination, but y'all really do the most with the busted old queens who give you sob stories about dreams and age and shit.

I liked her as much as the next person, but homegirl from last week (whose name I've already forgotten) deserved her first home finish. Her look was busted. Her clothes? Busted. Her personality? Flatline. When it's the first episode and you're already relying on the "I'm an older queen!" excuses, that's when you know you really don't have much to offer.

Homegirl was an insult to the true older queens like Chad and Shannel, who despite their age came out on that runway dragging the younger queens.

While I wish tempest would have stuck around longer, I can't disagree with anything you said. She should have been working the runway from the start.

razznjazz

Neo Member
Today's elimination should have happened last week.

This. Basically
India Ferrah

Tonight's episode was ace. One thing I like about this season is that we're only in Episode 2, but every queen has already exposed vulnerability or discomfort with some aspect of their drag. It makes it feel like more of a well-rounded cast rather than a few polished steamrollers who just crush the weak.

I don't love anyone yet, but I'm borderline fanboy for a few. Trixie's doll face is kind of hypnotic.

Oh if Tempest didn't do well this week, I would not have minded if she left today. It's just that I thought Sasha was the worse last week.

Monocle

Hoping for Alaska to come back at some point and assume the mantle of Drag Race guest judge and our personal savior. For she giveth eternal life.

Also, Mathu needs to join the judges' panel on a permanent basis already. Not in drag though, as it would be rude to outshine Ru on her own program.

Somehow the rpdr crew has managed to make two of the most polished queens look kind of like underdogs right now, and it's actually pretty interesting imo. lol
This season has got a long way to go, but it kind of already feels like Violet and Miss Fame's fates are already spelled out for us.
I mean anything could happen (just look at the situation with Ben) but we've gotten a lot more time to be intimate with their flaws over these past two episodes than with any other queen and it's more than likely that there will be a subplot dedicated to both of them "loosening up" a bit. It kind of reminds me of what happened with last year's top 3; they were getting the spotlight real early and their flaws became apparent pretty early in the game.
Anyways, I'm curious to see where this goes.

On some other notes...
I thought Katya's runway outfit in tonight's episode was really cute; the flower pattern, the big hair, the stiletto nails, the pumps...love it love it love it! Seeing her feel her gig in that outfit while lip syncing was magical!
Tbqh, I'm really loving Katya right now; she's pretty awesome.
Violet's outfit was cute too.
Also, Max is really pretty. She's like borderline fishy, if not just straight up fishy.
Which is awesome because we really haven't had an off-beat/kooky fishy queen since Manila Luzon.
Plus, I'm loving the fact that she's not aesthetically challenged like most of the other queens from past seasons who are deemed as and loved solely for being "weird".

Will not miss Sasha, she was really boring and frumpy looking.
:p

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Echoing that I thought sasha should have gone last week.
truly tragic, keep on trying it with that hair because its not working for anyone
I bet she does a christina drag act

Viloet and Miss fame definitely need to do more if they wanna stay in this. Violet was acting like a damn child this episode

Matt_

Hold up, hold up. Ru said "jif", wtf?! - I've had it with this show, OFFICIALLY!

These airhostess numbers are dead air, they went on far way too long. So far this season they seem to have cutback on the workroom footage and it's not working for me unfortunately.

Yeah, after that new Untucked, Jasmine can go suck a railroad spike.

Look in the mirror before you come for the way another queen paints their face, heauxny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom