• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? Sounds amazing. Dream arc maybe is my favorite arc (Infinity was it... before I re-read it recently, still better than the first two), it's a funny arc and now the full group is complete the girls can interact better between each other.

btw, to people who have seen the original anime, and because I haven't seen beyond the middle of the Dark Kindgom arc, why many people dislike so much SuperS? It seems a common opinion, I don't know.

People dislike SuperS for the following reasons:

• Big focus on Chibiusa who was rather annoying in the 90s anime. She's far more mature and interesting in this reboot/the manga, but she was very popular with kids during the 90s and SuperS wanted to make even more $$ than ever before.
  • DRAMATIC changes from the manga, most importantly being that the Outers are completely missing from SuperS, Moon doesn't get her Eternal form, the Quartet don't become senshi, Nehelenia's rivaly with Queen Serenity is removed
  • Lots of filler.

People like SuperS for the following reasons:

• Great animation quality - the transformations and attacks are the best of the series.
  • Interesting characters - the Amazon Trio, Quartet, and Nehelenia all have the best back stories of villains IMO.
  • The final few episodes, when the girls infiltrate the circus, activate the golden crystal, Nehelenia throwing unconscious Chibiusa off the building, are really A+ material and a gret reminder of what makes the series so great.

One of the best things to come out of SuperS is the "mini season" that take places at the beginning of Sailor Stars when Nehelenia returns and the girls have to defeat her. I consider those few episodes to be the best of the series.

SaintZ

At last my fave senshi gets her moment ;______;

Sailor Saturn killed it during the last two episodes.
Death Ribbon Revolution..? Oy.
It did sound like she said ribbon but the spanish subs said "reborn".
One of the best things to come out of SuperS is the "mini season" that take places at the beginning of Sailor Stars when Nehelenia returns and the girls have to defeat her. I consider those few episodes to be the best of the series.
Seriously. I loathed SuperS (although some filler was funny I suppose) but the beginning of Stars was amazing: the Outer Senshi getting their upgrade, all the senshi having to work together to save Usagi, Saturn ;___;

Episode 172 might be my favorite ever.

Seriously. I loathed SuperS (although some filler was funny I suppose) but the beginning of Stars was amazing: the Outer Senshi getting their upgrade, all the senshi having to work together to save Usagi, Saturn ;___;

Episode 172 might be my favorite ever.

What I love about that mini season is the weird pairings that the girls were forced into:

Uranus and Mercury
Neptune and Mars
Pluto and Venus

It was cool to see them interact in new ways!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

I LOVE that arc!! Guess they had to put it somewhere, because of manga flow, but it really makes the last season really split that way. The arc flow is more continuous in the manga, but with already a high ep count for SuperS, it makes sense.

(Speaking of which, that Figuarts Zero Chibi Usa and Pegasus figure is SO pretty!! I'm really tempted to get it!)

Still need to watch today's ep later today, too. Sure sounds good! Oh btw did anyone else find the animation in ep 11 kinda derp, compared to the rest of the season? I feel like it was really lacking.

I LOVE that arc!! Guess they had to put it somewhere, because of manga flow, but it really makes the last season really split that way. The arc flow is more continuous in the manga, but with already a high ep count for SuperS, it makes sense.

(Speaking of which, that Figuarts Zero Chibi Usa and Pegasus figure is SO pretty!! I'm really tempted to get it!)

Still need to watch today's ep later today, too. Sure sounds good! Oh btw did anyone else find the animation in ep 11 kinda derp, compared to the rest of the season? I feel like it was really lacking.

I do love that mini arc, although I also would have been completely satisfied with the ending of SuperS. Moon jumping off the floating circus tent to catch Chibimoon was just a perfect embodiment of what her character stands for.

Also, when Nehelenia thinks she finally has the upper hand by throwing Chibimoon off the building, and Moon just turns to her and says "To you, I'll never lose." and jumps despite how high up they are...such a badass!

Well, I guess it's nice to see that Pharaoh 90 continues to be the lamest Sailor Moon villain. I thought they really hammed up Metalia by the end of the Dark Kingdom Arc but geez, Pharaoh 90 did not disappoint in that respect.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Ok episode done and geeze, I sure hope that S4 will come out in fall! Great episode AND THEY ENDED WITH THE BEST END SONG!! So happy to see that come up again :) I really can't wait to see the Dream Arc animated for next season... Sure hope they will announce it soon :x

Razmos

I loved the "final" version of the OP, using the best song, the updated intro with all the attacks, and including Saturn and Super Sailor Chibi Moon among the line up at the end.

And the return of the best ED was great too

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
For those like me who bought the French edition of Seasons 1 and 2 on Blu-ray, Kazé is shipping replacement disks. I got mine in a few days.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Finally some kind of news!! I remember that the third season aired fairly quickly after it was announced (in comparison to the first two). Hopefully it will get slated for a fall slot!
Google translate from the official site gives this :

«Pretty soldier Sailor moon Crystal»
Animation "Sailor Moon Crystal"
Continuation production decision!
We have decided to produce the sequel of anime "Sailor Moon Crystal"!
More information will be announced shortly.

Manga wise what's left is the equivalent of the Sailor Moon S Movie, SuperS and Stars.

You didn't like S3 either, I take it?

As someone who liked crystal s1 despite all its flaws, I felt mixed on s2 since on the one hand it was much better made, but all the random comedy stuff felt really out of place with the comparatively darker tone of the series.

manakel

S3 certainly was miles above S1 and S2; the animation was better, the character designs were better, they went back to stock footage for the attacks, and they incorporated some humor which was one of the shining elements of the 90s anime. However, the show will continue to suffer from the 1-to-1 manga adaptation. The show desperately NEEDS filter to flesh out the characters. It heavily relies on people having watched the 90s anime, and while I did and I'm sure most viewers have, it's not enough. Some character personalities are vastly different than the 90s counterpart, and taking Crystal at face value, there is absolutely no character development for 99% of the cast. There's no emotional investment whatsoever, and you're just expected to care about what's going on with no build up.

Mr_Zombie

(...) they went back to stock footage for the attacks (...)

That's one thing I didn't like about s2. Fights in the first season were really well done and dynamic; you could feel that girls were really fighting instead of just throwing a single magic attack to get the things done. Stock footage for attacks, while prettier, made the fights boring again. Especially when more than one girl is doing her attack - the time stops and you have to watch a bunch of stock footages.

Pluto

But using stock footage allows them to put more time and effort into other scenes. It could have helped with Infinity looking much better than Dark Kingdom and Black Moon.

But didn't we already talk about this? The new season was announced last week and I could hace sworn it was mentioned here back then ... weird.

Cheerilee

But using stock footage allows them to put more time and effort into other scenes. It could have helped with Infinity looking much better than Dark Kingdom and Black Moon.

But didn't we already talk about this? The new season was announced last week and I could hace sworn it was mentioned here back then ... weird.

It was mentioned a week ago in the Sailor Moon Community Thread.

As a random opinion, I watched S1 and disliked it, bailed on S2 completely, and then I heard that S3 got better, but I haven't yet managed to convince myself to power through S2 to reach S3, or skip S2 and jump straight to S3. I'll probably get around to watching it eventually. Until then, I hope the show keeps on improving.

Pluto

It was mentioned a week ago in the Sailor Moon Community Thread.
Oh! I keep forgetting we have two SM threads. Thanks.

As a random opinion, I watched S1 and disliked it, bailed on S2 completely, and then I heard that S3 got better, but I haven't yet managed to convince myself to power through S2 to reach S3, or skip S2 and jump straight to S3. I'll probably get around to watching it eventually. Until then, I hope the show keeps on improving.
Season 2 was already better than the first but season 3 is on another level. I hope you decide to watch it soon, you could post your impressions here.
Just my opinion but I wouldn't skip season 2, it has some great moments especially with Pluto.

manakel

That's one thing I didn't like about s2. Fights in the first season were really well done and dynamic; you could feel that girls were really fighting instead of just throwing a single magic attack to get the things done. Stock footage for attacks, while prettier, made the fights boring again. Especially when more than one girl is doing her attack - the time stops and you have to watch a bunch of stock footages.
I know I'm extremely biased because I have rose-tinted glasses on when it comes to the 90s anime, but the stock footage, in large part, made the show what it was. Although they were repetitive, it set the stage for the Magical Girl genre going forward. It would have been one thing if the fight scenes were dynamic and free-flowing in S1, but they were animated so poorly that it was laughable.

Honestly, my hope is that they just crank through the last two seasons of Crystal so they can possibly make a continuation of the 90s anime lol. I think they realized too late that it's what people would have rather had to begin with - and that's why we saw S3 pander much more to the 90s crowd.

cj_iwakura

Not sure how I feel about dream arc, my favorites were R, S, and Stars. It had its moments, but it was mostly passable. Never read the manga though.

I still haven't watched S3 either, I'm terrified of them ruining the best villain in the series(Professor Tomoe).

Zoe

Not sure how I feel about dream arc, my favorites were R, S, and Stars. It had its moments, but it was mostly passable. Never read the manga though.

I still haven't watched S3 either, I'm terrified of them ruining the best villain in the series(Professor Tomoe).

Dream manga is completely different.

Infinity is too, for that matter, so you probably would be disappointed.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I need a quick refresher with Dream arc in the manga...

So, I know that Stars started out as Dream arc 1.5, but was that portion part of the main Dream arc in the manga?

Season 3 is the only season of Sailor Moon Crystal that's worth watching. It takes a massive, sparkly SHIT all over the first two seasons and finally gives the fans what they've been asking for. It's simply awesome.

Dream Arc will be the first time we see a huge difference between the 90s anime and Crystal. The manga is completely different from SuperS.

What I would love most, though: A feature film finale to the 90's anime. Episode 200 ended on such a crappy, rushed note. Give us a new movie that closes the chapter on the original series.

Zoe

So, I know that Stars started out as Dream arc 1.5, but was that portion part of the main Dream arc in the manga?

It took a few elements from the manga, but again, Dream is completely different from the anime.

Pluto

Some parts of it like
Hotaru rapidly growing and the outers returning
where in the dream arc but where dropped for SuperS, so Sailor Stars did kind of a Dream do over in a way to be able to adapt Stars but the story of the six episode arc itself is mostly original.

No, it wasn't. Major differences would be:

Nehellenia is from the moon, curses Serenity as a baby (Sleeping Beauty parallels), fans like to headcanon that she's Queen Serenity's sister. Guardians all receive crystals to transform (no more wands) and Inner Guardians receive new weapons to match the Talismans.

Future Silver Crystal transforms into the Pink Moon Crystal. Golden Crystal is inside Mamoru instead of Helios. Sailor Moon gets her Eternal Form and uses it to kill Nehlenia. Outer Guardians don't leave for an entire season. Amazoness Quarter become the Asteroid Guardians. Artemis and Diana get human forms. All Guardians get Eternal Form in the finale.

Pluto

Never read the manga though.
Change that, the manga starts out okay but vecomes really great, the Dream arc is fantastic and SuperS completely butchered it

Season 3 is great! It really is! They took all the criticisms to heart and did a proper manga adaptation that also brings back some elements from the old anime.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Some parts of it like
Hotaru rapidly growing and the outers returning
where in the dream arc but where dropped for SuperS, so Sailor Stars did kind of a Dream do over in a way to be able to adapt Stars but the story of the six episode arc itself is mostly original.

Gotcha. Yeah it's been ages since I read the manga, and I do want to re-read it all after Crystal is over. The "Dream 1.5" arc in Stars is one of my favorites, but was such a weird way to bridge SuperS and Stars together. Realistically, if they did it as an OVA or something, it would've worked a bit better. But Stars is kind of short, so they needed that episode count, anyway.

ShyMel

If this means they'll get a higher budget or at least a way to use a budget more efficiently, I'm fine with it. I'm overall mixed but I guess we'll have to wait for the results. Not expecting much though.
Pretty much my thoughts as well. Don't want to get my hopes after season one.

Extremely good news, because as we all know theater-released anime movies see releases in North America in a timely manner and not like literally years later. It's almost exactly as good as having simulcasts.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I just worry that this time everything will feel too squeezed in for 2 movies.

Depends really on the movie length, the Act. format is not suitable for the Dream Arc. Some episodes could be rushed and other compressed. It happened for season 3.

Pluto

It just feels like they are forcing themselves to finish this series.
I don't feel that way, I like them doing two movies instead of a season. Movies usually have a higher budget and higher production values than tv shows (the old anime's movies looked significantly better than the show for example) and depending on the movies run times they could be roughly the same length as a season. To me it feels like they're putting more effort into this than before, theatrical movies are a bigger deal than a tv show, aren't they?

The dream arc has 11 acts, those can easily fit into two movies, the first one could cover acts 1-6, the beginning and the soldiers individual power up acts at the end they all have their crystals and it ends on a cliffhanger with them trapped, the second movie covers acts 7-11, the fight against Nehellenia.

The movie format would also help with pacing, instead of turning each act into an episode of roughly the same length a movie allows the writer to be more flexible, maybe some acts of the manga only need 10 or 15 minutes of screentime while others need 25.

MikeMyers

Yeah I think running time is gonna be a major factor. If it's full length I can see it working, but I wouln't be happy if it is like two 40 minute episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom