• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon English dub cast announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it sounded good, Usagi sounded exactly as she should in the dub, Mamoru voice could have been a bit deeper but I can't say it's bad.

UberTag

Stephanie Sheh will make a great Usagi. I've been an unabashed fan of hers for a long time.
I'm really only worried about the Shingo casting at this point.

Squire

Banned
Sheh is perfect as Usagi. You could say it's a little cheesy, but that's actually what I want. Recreate that mid-90s feel.

MikeMyers

Here's a dialogue comparison:

Viz Media:

Stephanie Sheh: If only, I had studied a little more....I HATE YOU I HATE YOU YOU STUPID TEST!

Robbie Daymond: Watch where you're throwing things bunhead

Stephanie Sheh: Uh, sorry.

Robbie Daymond: 30%? Looks to me you better study harder bunhead.

Stephanie Sheh: Well, that's none of your business.

Stephanie Sheh: Stupid jerk and his purple-pleaded pants, what a weirdo.

Toei Animation:

Kotono Mitsuishi: I should have studied harder Oh, die!

Toru Furuya: Hey, that hurts, Dumpling Head!

Kotono Mitsuishi: What? Oh, I'm sorry....

Toru Furuya: 30%? Study harder, Dumpling Head.

Kotono Mitsuishi: It's none of your business!

Kotono Mitsuishi: What's with him? I can't believe it, what a weirdo.

UberTag

Linda Ballantyne always came off as too old and doing a bad Terri Hawkes impression. I could never get behind her performance.
Tracey Moore was zany and the closest to Kotono Mitsuishi's delivery but she rubbed a lot of people the wrong way as the dub's original voice director.
Terri Hawkes was the iconic yodeling Serena... and the one I have the most affinity towards.

But I fully expect Stephanie Sheh will put them all to shame when all is said and done.

Linda Ballantyne always came off as too old and doing a bad Terri Hawkes impression. I could never get behind her performance.
Tracey Moore was zany and the closest to Kotono Mitsuishi's delivery but she rubbed a lot of people the wrong way as the dub's original voice director.
Terri Hawkes was the iconic yodeling Serena... and the one I have the most affinity towards.

But I fully expect Stephanie Sheh will put them all to shame when all is said and done.

No doubt, I think my nostalgia is just hitting me wayyy to hard.

Cheerilee

Here's a dialogue comparison:

Viz Media:

Toei Animation:

I think that both of those qualify as "Viz", technically.

AFAIK, Viz "speedsubbed" the series to get it ready for the stream, and Toei gets to use that, even on Niconico.

Viz is also making a "refined" set of subtitles for the DVD/Bluray. It's unknown if they're going to update Hulu/Crunchyroll/Niconico, but they could.

And then there's the dub, which is willing to sacrifice literal translation in favor of "flow" and how some things sound coming out of someone's mouth compared to how they read in text, along with the possibility for ad-libbing. This is normal for a dub.

The new dub is apparently going to try to be more restrained than the original dub, but seeing as how they're already making fun of Mamoru's purple pants, they're obviously not going to be completely serious.

I'm really impressed with Usagi's voice actually, Mamoru is fine and Luna, hm, not so much. I would have preferred someone a little bit cuter and youthful.

Regarding the old dub, I hated Linda Ballantyne at first, but she made it her own eventually, and during SuperS she was great, especially as Serenity. She is so proud of her work and she should be, especially after all the crap she has gotten for replacing Terri Hawkes (the worst Serena VA IMO).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
For giggles here is how the original dub sounded, note this isn't the same clip from that episode above (couldn't find a clip only the entire episode) but I think you'll get the point in about 5 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0dMd3G9S1E&t=1m00s

That was the dub that was created when the series came back on Cartoon Network, right? The one done by Cloverway?

No joke, whoever the hell played Serena was one of the two reasons why I stopped watching Sailor Moon entirely. The other was the soundtrack.

I might get beaten for this, but Dic music 4 lyfe!

Yeah, I said it. Wanna fight about it?

Wow, I don't remember it being quite that bad. Usagi (Serena) sounds like a 40 year old woman.

Nope, it's always been that bad. And she's always sounded like a 40 year old woman.

laoni

Oh, I've heard Venus' dub voice too, Cherami used it while she was over in Australia.

She's a higher pitch than Usagi, but she's also rocking a british accent

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Seems pretty good overall, but I'm slightly annoyed at Jedite being calle Jay-dite.

MikeMyers

A few people at Otakon were saying on twitter that this dub features
Umino making a Over 9000 joke

Seriously Viz?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom