• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another solid episode, though I didn't like this one as much as the others. Neptune and Uranus's transformations were a bit of a letdown, since I was hoping they'd do a little more than "add flower petals and facial close-ups to the original 90s transformations and call it a day".

Can't wait for next week's ep.

MikeMyers

Michiru's music attack...was that in the manga?

Didn't care much for this episode nor the transformations. The coolest part was Ami transforming mid air, falling into the pool and jumping out of the water.

Agreed. Though to be fair I'm not really an Ami fan so I guess it's to be expected I wouldn't have liked this episode as much.

blamite

Decent episode. The whole setup with Ami going to the academy was kinda weird though? But okay.
This is too good to ever be real.
Who decided to switch the ed to chibi moon and clown music?
Seriously, especially after this episode in particular. What a bad idea, lol
On that note, the new version of the OP is absolutely awful.
Okay I'm glad I'm not going crazy and it did actually change.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

It was so sad not to hear that... one of my favorite themes. They should've made a remix to it. I'll be sad not to hear the Starlights theme later on either...

That new ending. I feel like they were trying to go in the vein of Otome no Policy, but that was kinda catchy. This one is... it felt like it would never end!!

Michiru's music attack...was that in the manga?

Sure was. Didn't stand out much there due to lack of audio and all. I had to check myself, to be honest.

That new ending. I feel like they were trying to go in the vein of Otome no Policy, but that was kinda catchy. This one is... it felt like it would never end!!

Oh, I know. Eternal Eternity seemed over almost as soon as it began but this one felt like it went on forever. Both OP and ED certainly got worse here.

Bladenic

Didn't notice anything different about the OP?

The music attack was dumb as shit lmao

I dunno, I just didn't care much about this episode.

Pluto

The opening is much better with the new singer, the new ending is pretty bad.

Ami's mid air transformation was cool and her attacking Viluy like that was badass, too bad it didn't do anything.

The highlight for me was Setsuna's appearance at the end.

Razmos

I actually think I wouldn't mind the new singer in the OP (and the fact that she's Sailor Galaxia's VA is cool enough to let it slide, even if I don't like her voice), but the changes they made to the actual music really bugged me. Most people's complaints were about the singer, the song itself was very good, but all the added sound effects just ruin the effect in my opinion.

Mr_Zombie

I prefer the new singer in the OP >_> S3 OP is still worse than S1 and 2, but changing the singer make it more bearable for me.

The ending theme though... It was bad.

BTW. I like how in the original anime the openings evolved as the show goes on to not spoil anything. For example, in the S series Uranus and Neptune weren't included in the opening until they were introduced in the show as guardians. Same with Pluto - until she actually appeared in the show, she was absent from the opening. This idea is sadly missing here, as the opening has been showing Sailor Neptune, Uranus, Pluto and Saturn since the very first episode.

I prefer the new singer in the OP >_> S3 OP is still worse than S1 and 2, but changing the singer make it more bearable for me.

The ending theme though... It was bad.

BTW. I like how in the original anime the openings evolved as the show goes on to not spoil anything. For example, in the S series Uranus and Neptune weren't included in the opening until they were introduced in the show as guardians. Same with Pluto - until she actually appeared in the show, she was absent from the opening. This idea is sadly missing here, as the opening has been showing Sailor Neptune, Uranus, Pluto and Saturn since the very first episode.

In fairness, Crystal is pretty much assuming everyone watching knows the entire general story anyway, be it from the manga, the original show, or just cultural awareness.

Razmos

My friend told me the OP singer changed but I haven't seen the episode yet.

Why'd they change it?
There are 3 versions of the OP, the second is sung by Sailor Galaxia's VA and the third is sung by Momoiro Clover Z, who sang Moon Pride

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda want it for how good of a package it is, but I wouldn't really watch it.

New episode tomorrow!

I haven't rewatched it with the animation touch-ups yet, so I'll give it a watch at some point.

New ep has me excited :) Looking forward to my lunchtime break for it!

Razmos

Mercury petting Diana on her lap in the background was so cute.

Also the animation and still shots were gorgeous as hell. Such style

MikeMyers

Meh episode again. I wish I knew why the last few episodes have just completely lost me

Yeah, the artwork is there but outside of that I'm in the same boat as you. I guess it might be because I don't care for the Outers (outside of Saturn) and the Inners/Witches 5 stuff is getting repetitive for me.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Started getting good... then it ended :p

Some thoughts:
-can't get over that the grail is only made out of clay :p
-Haruka's outfit was great this ep!
-didn't realize that Chibi Moon transformed but had no weapons till this point
-too little Setsuna, for an episode named after her
-return of the whispred Dead Scream! This made me happy! Having it shouted in S2 was... not sure why they did that

blamite

Crystal S3:

iKaeI6J.jpg

"eh" episode this week. I guess there's bound to be some ups and downs in the pacing. At least the episodes are infinitely nicer to look at than the last two seasons, in any case.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I hope Bandai makes a Mistress 9 SH Figuart figure, since they have a Black Lady. I wonder what happened to their Super Sailor Mercury figure that was shown?

Bladenic

I hope there's a Pluto transformation sequence soon. And my fave Mako-chan didn't even get to do anything cool like Mercury falling into the pool. I don't count cutting up a flower lmao

I did like Tellu's transformation though.

MikeMyers

I hope there's a Pluto transformation sequence soon. And my fave Mako-chan didn't even get to do anything cool like Mercury falling into the pool. I don't count cutting up a flower lmao

I did like Tellu's transformation though.

You know I was reading an article on the characters popularity when the 90s anime was airing and it was sad to see that Makoto and Rei were around the same level of popularity, but they still gave Rei so much spotlight and just ignored Makoto.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
You know I was reading an article on the characters popularity when the 90s anime was airing and it was sad to see that Makoto and Rei were around the same level of popularity, but they still gave Rei so much spotlight and just ignored Makoto.

Makoto is probably the character this series least knows what to do with no matter the incarnation, I couldn't tell you why exactly either.

I've warmed up to the new version of the OP hearing it for the second week but I still see the new ED as a downgrade.

As for the story, we're almost done with the setup first half of Infinity/Mugen and then it's on to the more active and action-based back half. Hopefully the improved visuals hold up for that as well.

To be honest, even with its relatively high queerness level this is probably the manga arc I like the least. I find the villains to be the least interesting in the series, it doesn't add much to existing characters, and it really isn't that much better about fleshing out the new ones. Hotaru is sickly, Haruka is flirty, and Michiru is, uh, um, er...she likes Haruka? Plays the violin? Do those count? Overall it just feels a good bit like treading water outside of introducing a few new characters.

MikeMyers

Yeah, Michiru is my least favourite character for what you just mentioned. I liked Corvo's tagline: Sailor Nobody.

Makoto is probably the character this series least knows what to do with no matter the incarnation, I couldn't tell you why exactly either.

Gets plenty of screentime in PGSM.

Still can't believe people aren't digging the new opening. Play them side by side and the newer version has a much better singer. The first one sounded so off-key during portions. New one fits the nostalgic feel of the show and gives it that 90's vibe.

That said, the ending can burn in a garbage fire.

Bladenic

Link? And yeah don't remind me. It's hard being a Mako-chan fan and a Rei hater (for the 90s anime).

Bladenic

Never had a problem hating 1990s Rei as she was always that Mean Girls archetype going on there.

I meant like it's hard putting up with her spotlight hogging while my fave gets shoved to the side. Especially in Stars, Makoto barely gets one focus episode.

Jupiter would at least get her token episode here or there, every venus episode felt like it was a usagi episode they randomly gave to venus.

Pluto

Jupiter would at least get her token episode here or there, every venus episode felt like it was a usagi episode they randomly gave to venus.
That's because Usagi is basically Minako with a new hairstyle. Usagi even got Minako's family.

There are theories that Sailor Moon was originally going to be a reboot of Sailor V with Minako as the main character before Takeuchi decided to continue Sailor V and integrate it into Sailor Moon.
There's an early promotion picture that shows Sailor Moon in an early costume design referred to as Minako with Artemis at her side instead of Luna. That would explain all the similarities, Takeuchi simply changed Minako's name to Usagi and painted Artemis black.
It's also worth remembering that originally Venus got her powers from the moon, she was named after the goddess Venus, not the planet. So I can see her being Sailor Moon in a reboot.

I have to find this picture, I'll start looking right now.

Here are the pics:

image7hed8.jpeg

imageluegk.jpeg

Looks like I misremembered, the character is referred to as Usagi but the series is announced as "Bishoujo Senshi Sailor V". I would really like to know more about the development process.

That's because Usagi is basically Minako with a new hairstyle. Usagi even got Minako's family.

There are theories that Sailor Moon was originally going to be a reboot of Sailor V with Minako as the main character before Takeuchi decided to continue Sailor V and integrate it into Sailor Moon.
There's an early promotion picture that shows Sailor Moon in an early costume design referred to as Minako with Artemis at her side instead of Luna. That would explain all the similarities, Takeuchi simply changed Minako's name to Usagi and painted Artemis black.
It's also worth remembering that originally Venus got her powers from the moon, she was named after the goddess Venus, not the planet. So I can see her being Sailor Moon in a reboot.

I have to find this picture, I'll start looking right now.

Here are the pics:

image7hed8.jpeg

imageluegk.jpeg

Looks like I misremembered, the character is referred to as Usagi but the series is announced as "Bishoujo Senshi Sailor V". I would really like to know more about the development process.

Don't forget having the same friends too.

I mean, they do end up with some slight differences in personality, especially when Usagi ends up acting a bit more adult. Minako is idol-crazed and that's not so big for Usagi. But yeah it tends not to be huge. Also I suppose as far as manga ships go Rei x Minako is very vaguely more natural than Rei x Usagi?

Zoe

Also I suppose as far as manga ships go Rei x Minako is very vaguely more natural than Rei x Usagi?

Rei x Minako doesn't really surface until after the Exam Battle stories. Up until then Minako didn't like her.

Actually I'm having trouble coming up which one Usagi would be closest to in the manga. She rotates who she clings to.

asagami_

Banned
I remember a scene from the manga where (Star arc spoilers)
Minako and Rei are together and one of them say "We don't need men on our life" or something like that. And the best is they are so close each other and one of them have her hands behind the back of the other.

I need this animated pleaaase.

Rei x Minako doesn't really surface until after the Exam Battle stories. Up until then Minako didn't like her.

Actually I'm having trouble coming up which one Usagi would be closest to in the manga. She rotates who she clings to.

Right, it's a somewhat late development and there really isn't much of anything to it, but even that ends up being more grounds than basically any other non-canon ship between our ten senshi unless you want to ship Chibiusa x Hotaru or Haruka x Michiru x Setsuna. It really says more about how little characterization there tends to be in the manga for most of the senshi and the lack of them interacting more than anything.

The manga really does tend to have a feel of Usagi/Mamoru/Chibiusa as their own thing separate from the other senshi with a few exceptions here and there like Usagi and Haruka in the first half of Infinity or Chibiusa and Hotaru/Setsuna.

MikeMyers

Minako? I mean, she is meant to be the leader, so I imagine that they probably would have grown the closest even if the manga doesn't show it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom