• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Good ep! ...then the end song happens. Ugh it's awful and now it's stuck in my head!! Gets worse every time I hear it... Seriously unfitting to this season. They honestly couldn't wait till season 4??

MikeMyers

i just got done watching it. The Hotaru scenes were quite touching, but I'm not really a whole fan of the "evil senshi" stuff that appears so much in this series.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
i just got done watching it. The Hotaru scenes were quite touching, but I'm not really a whole fan of the "evil senshi" stuff that appears so much in this series.

It's pretty tropey, so I'm used to the whole "team turning evil and fighting each other" bit. I was hoping Super Sailor Moon would at least show up at the end, but nah a tease for next episode.

I'm so so happy I don't have to wait 2-3 frickin weeks anymore!

MikeMyers

I'm definately due for a rewatch on the classic series. Viz needs to put them out faster :x Also been wanting to rewatch PGSM.

I was gonna rewatch PGSM but I was waiting for Imagination Station to release their version. It's been over a year now, though. Vaporware?

evanmisha

Really? I heard they were quite bad.

I have the TV-Nihon ones.

...? They're a HUGE step up from the TV-Nihon guess subs. They could use an editing pass, that's for damn sure, and the typesetting is not to my taste. But they're, again, miles ahead of the TV-Nihon subs.

MikeMyers

Oh, I mean I wasn't trying to big up the TV-Nihon subs. It was just that I was looking for an alternate, and all I heard was that Miss Dream's was bad too.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
You gotta take what you canget nowadays. With everyone just ripping streamers, very very few legit subbers actually exist anymore.

...as long as the subs don't look like Anime Junkies, then it really can't be that bad:/

The Miss Dream subs are...okay, but my understanding is that while they're not TVN bad, they're not completely accurate. In other words, they're serviceable, though I have heard of a third group doing another sub (can't recall the name though), which brings me to my next point...

I was gonna rewatch PGSM but I was waiting for Imagination Station to release their version. It's been over a year now, though. Vaporware?

Yea, I should mention this, sadly Imagination Station have put PGSM on indefinite hold. They're working on other series that have yet to see a proper translation like GoGoV and Maho PreCure(?) (I know they're working on a new Sentai series once they finish the former). Since there is like three translations of PGSM, they feel that the other stuff is more a priority, though there is a chance they might return it someday. Kind of a bummer because their translations are great and from the few samples I've seen of it, I quite liked it and would prefer that they get back on it (at least eventually--I actually do pester them about it from time to time saying this).

Not to sound like a shill, but do check out their other work, it may not PGSM but it is fun stuff.

MikeMyers

The Miss Dream subs are...okay, but my understanding is that while they're not TVN bad, they're not completely accurate. In other words, they're serviceable, though I have hearYea, I should mention this, sadly Imagination Station have put PGSM on indefinite hold. They're working on other series that have yet to see a proper translation like GoGoV and Maho PreCure(?) (I know they're working on a new Sentai series once they finish the former). Since there is like three translations of PGSM, they feel that the other stuff is more a priority, though there is a chance they might return it someday. Kind of a bummer because their translations are great and from the few samples I've seen of it, I quite liked it and would prefer that they get back on it (at least eventually--I actually do pester them about it from time to time saying this).

Not to sound like a shill, but do check out their other work, it may not PGSM but it is fun stuff.
Funny thing is, I was talking to a GAFer today about checking out other works from the PGSM writer. I've seen Kamen Rider Ryuki, but if Imagination Station has some of her other works on there, maybe I'll use them for that.

Funny thing is, I was talking to a GAFer today about checking out other works from the PGSM writer. I've seen Kamen Rider Ryuki, but if Imagination Station has some of her other works on there, maybe I'll use them for that.

Checking out Kobayashi's works, she did do a few episodes of GoGoV (IS is finishing that) plus the sentai team-up movie: ToQger vs Kyoryuger (also subbed by them), otherwise most of her other stuff is available from other subbers, though that does include TVN.

evanmisha

Absolutely check out Timeranger. My all time favorite toku.

MikeMyers

I'll look into them. IS aside, any of Kobayashi's anime works you'd recommend? I know about Jojo and AoT, but I don't think I've seen her other anime works.

I'll look into them. IS aside, any of Kobayashi's anime works you'd recommend? I know about Jojo and AoT, but I don't think I've seen her other anime works.

Many of the anime series Yasuko Kobayashi has written are highly dubious (Shakugan no Shana, Claymore, Blassreiter, Casshern Sins), but Garo the Animation (spawned from a toku franchise!) is legitimately excellent.

MikeMyers

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I'll probably try Garo animation first since I actually have seen and enjoyed the Toku before.

Socivol

I really wish they would pad this out a bit more and delve a bit deeper into character development of the characters that aren't Usagi.

MikeMyers

This is meant to be like the manga, which was really Usagi-centric. You'd be better off with the 90's anime or PGSM if you wanted one that focuses on the other Senshi.

The Miss Dream subs are...okay, but my understanding is that while they're not TVN bad, they're not completely accurate. In other words, they're serviceable, though I have heard of a third group doing another sub (can't recall the name though), which brings me to my next point...

Yea, I should mention this, sadly Imagination Station have put PGSM on indefinite hold. They're working on other series that have yet to see a proper translation like GoGoV and Maho PreCure(?) (I know they're working on a new Sentai series once they finish the former). Since there is like three translations of PGSM, they feel that the other stuff is more a priority, though there is a chance they might return it someday. Kind of a bummer because their translations are great and from the few samples I've seen of it, I quite liked it and would prefer that they get back on it (at least eventually--I actually do pester them about it from time to time saying this).

Sea of Serenity. And they're decent too. Only downside is that they release exclusively in hardsubs. So there's that.

I just finished the first part of Crystal (the Dark Kingdom arc) and I really enjoyed it!
If it only gets better from there that is good news for me :)

Though the opening theme (Moon Pride?) is fucking terrible
terrible, terrible, trash. Whoever decided on that should be ashamed

Stuart444

Pretty sure I'm the only person (on here) that has liked all the ops and eds (the only time I was slightly turned off was the change of singer to the op of this season - though I still liked it, just not as much as the old version)

Also this ep was good, can't wait to see next weeks. Though I'm more looking forward to Saturn than Super Sailor Moon. >_< still a few weeks to see her properly.

Also on the PGSM talk, I had no idea other subs existed (outside of TVN) or that someone is (well... was from the sounds of it here) doing new subs for PGSM.

TVN might be crap but they were my introduction to PGSM, a series which I love (the
Dark Mercury
arc is one of my favourites). I even have half the series on DVD (didn't have the money to get all of them back then :( ).

<3 PGSM.

Also on one final SM related note: I wish Viz would release or get someone to release the BDs of the new dub here. Importing (which I have the first and maybe the second part somewhere around here) the BD and then figuring out a way to get it to work is annoying. (since it's one of the few BDs I'm interested in which is region locked ;_;)

Oh well...

This is meant to be like the manga, which was really Usagi-centric. You'd be better off with the 90's anime or PGSM if you wanted one that focuses on the other Senshi.

This is certainly a case where I wish they had added a bit of filler to the manga story. I mean, I enjoy the manga but, as you say, it's really focused on Usagi with Mamoru and Chibiusa as major characters in certain story lines. Then again, the one major change/addition, the handling of the Shitennou, actually ended up being a negative due to the 'payoff' just being a punch in the gut so maybe I should be careful what I wish for.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I just finished the first part of Crystal (the Dark Kingdom arc) and I really enjoyed it!
If it only gets better from there that is good news for me :)

Though the opening theme (Moon Pride?) is fucking terrible
terrible, terrible, trash. Whoever decided on that should be ashamed
I loved Moon Pride. Please say that you didn't like it instead of making some drama about it.

MikeMyers

Pretty sure I'm the only person (on here) that has liked all the ops and eds (the only time I was slightly turned off was the change of singer to the op of this season - though I still liked it, just not as much as the old version)
I'm indifferent towards them. They don't really effect my enjoyment of a show.

This is certainly a case where I wish they had added a bit of filler to the manga story. I mean, I enjoy the manga but, as you say, it's really focused on Usagi with Mamoru and Chibiusa as major characters in certain story lines. Then again, the one major change/addition, the handling of the Shitennou, actually ended up being a negative due to the 'payoff' just being a punch in the gut so maybe I should be careful what I wish for.
Yeah. PGSM kind of felt like a bridge between the manga and the 90s anime. It seems the people who like PGSM were ones that could appreciate both the manga and original anime, actually.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Why is it so quiet in here? It was another good ep! Good back story and such. Been so long since I read the manga though, I'll definitely need to do a good reread. Maybe once they finish the series, since it's actually nice to watch it and not remember all of the details.

Also, does anyone know if there will be a new ending next week? Please say yes I'm tired of it :(

MikeMyers

Well the expositions dumps haven't really been interesting, especially since it is all information I already know. Still, I'm excited to see Saturn, so I'm gonna keep watching.

Meanwhile, on that Sea of Serenity website, I've been checking out the Sera Myu's. I really like them so far. It

blamite

Yeah, good episode. A little bit of a lore dump but an interesting one to someone who doesn't know this version of the story so no problem.

Does if bother anyone else when they use "Super Sailor Moon" as like, her name when she's transformed? Like the Super version is z different character or something. I dunno it just always seemes a little weird to me

We're there 90's references other than the transformation/attack animations? Nothing really stood out to me in that sense.

Zoe

We're there 90's references other than the transformation/attack animations? Nothing really stood out to me in that sense.

Designs such as Neo Queen Serenity having blonde hair and Uranus's sword having those stupid gems. The filler added to the second episode attack and Pink Sugar Heart Attack being completely useless were pretty bad.

The way the sound effects and stock animation of the 90's attacks clash with the BGM and the rest of the scene was laughable in the 90's and just as bad here.

And while I guess it didn't rip from the 90's, the way they extended Hotaru's attack in this ep was stupid.

Madao

there's something i don't understand from the latest episode.

when Saturn awakens the first time (outer Sailor's flashback), she destroys Silver Millenium but, wasn't it being destroyed by the Dark Kingdom?
also, wouldn't that count as a failure since the Dark Kingdom survived Saturn's destruction? or would that mean Saturn ultimately helped the Dark Kingdom?

i think i'm missing something or i forgot something (or Takeuchi had an Araki moment and completely forgot about what happened earlier)

kirblar

(this is my first time in this material)

Is Saturn's emergence what trigger's the death/rebirth cycle? Basically Ragnarok for Silver Millenium?

there's something i don't understand from the latest episode.

when Saturn awakens the first time (outer Sailor's flashback), she destroys Silver Millenium but, wasn't it being destroyed by the Dark Kingdom?
also, wouldn't that count as a failure since the Dark Kingdom survived Saturn's destruction? or would that mean Saturn ultimately helped the Dark Kingdom?

i think i'm missing something or i forgot something (or Takeuchi had an Araki moment and completely forgot about what happened earlier)

Haven't watched Crystal for a year but the manga makes it clear that while the Dark Kingdom has defeated the Silver Millenium, it is Saturn who destroyed both and more or less reset everything, hence why the evolutionary history on Earth could go back to a clean start.

She did not fail, however Metalia was sealed and ended up returning a long time later, which led to Beryl's memories re-awakening and the Dark Kingdom getting brought back together again.

Madao

Haven't watched Crystal for a year but the manga makes it clear that while the Dark Kingdom has defeated the Silver Millenium, it is Saturn who destroyed both and more or less reset everything, hence why the evolutionary history on Earth could go back to a clean start.

She did not fail, however Metalia was sealed and ended up returning a long time later, which led to Beryl's memories re-awakening and the Dark Kingdom getting brought back together again.

ohh that makes sense now. basically she destroyed everything and that's why it took so long for everyone to reawaken. those 2 week breaks between eps made me forget a lot of season 1. they also didn't make any effort to add in references to future events at that point (considering the manga is complete, it should be possible, unlike the original manga run where that plot point might have not existed when they were in the first arc)

doesn't help that i read the manga even before that and forgot most details (and stopped before the current ep, which means the latest eps are like new material for me)

the original anime changed that so what little i remembered didn't line up because it was the altered version.

on a related note, the Holy Grail awakening Super Sailor Moon in the original timeline must have been slightly weaker since it used power from Chibi-Usa and she wasn't around when it happened in her timeline. time travel shenanigans usually cause weird things like this.

Is it just me, or did the characters at the start of the episode seem way more upset over
possibly having to murder Hotaru than Chibiusa dying? Heck, Usagi was the only one visibly upset by Chibiusa's condition.

Man, that new ending theme sounds straight out of the 1990's. I love it along with all of Mamoru's dramatic posing.

MikeMyers

Hmm, Mistress 9 isn't as intimidating as I thought she'd be.

Also for those familiar with PGSM, I wonder if
PGSM Serenity
was supposed to be their version of Saturn?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Is it just me, or did the characters at the start of the episode seem way more upset over
possibly having to murder Hotaru than Chibiusa dying? Heck, Usagi was the only one visibly upset by Chibiusa's condition.

Man, that new ending theme sounds straight out of the 1990's. I love it along with all of Mamoru's dramatic posing.

Unintentional commentary about Chibi-Usa being the just the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom