• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart444

I have the whole Re-released Manga (including the Sailor V ones that I'm currently reading through). Might not read the first SM ones until next year once Crystal is done... or I'll just read it slowly so I can compare after each episode or something.

Aeana

I didn't hate it, but I wasn't particularly impressed. Felt suuuper low budget. And Kotono Mitsuishi's voice seems more nasally than it used to be. I compared with the original just to make sure.

MikeMyers

I have the whole Re-released Manga (including the Sailor V ones that I'm currently reading through). Might not read the first SM ones until next year once Crystal is done... or I'll just read it slowly so I can compare after each episode or something.

Sailor V manga is really underrated.

I absolutely loved it.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
And it's funny how useless Tuxido Mask was :D He didn't do anything here, just shouted "do it now!" which was meaningless because a second later Luna said the same thing and actually explained what is it that Usagi should do.
Tuxedo Mask has always been useless.

Zoe

This won't surprise anyone but I wasn't impressed. The animation is lacking and the pacing is mediocre at best. I was hoping they could update the writing but that was a misplaced hope. Women being enslaved by jewelry without irony doesn't exactly cut it in 2014, among other things.

Edit: The video game scenes were kind of nice.

Makoto's episode is gonna make you drop the series.

Zoe

Given that there's about 26 chapters in total from the start to the end of R and we seem to just about be covering a chapter an episode, I wouldn't be supprised if this is going to do the JoJo's Phantom Blood / Battle Tendency Route. Plus that Rod in the To Be Continue card is her upgraded wand from R so we might have Pillar Men yet!

Seriously, I think that card has me more excited than anything else.

MikeMyers

Haha, I didn't mean as a person. Mamoru is OK.

Oh I know, I was just joking.

tumblr_momdaerwdX1ro8ba4o1_500.png

Can't save people, but can save cats.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Given that there's about 26 chapters in total from the start to the end of R and we seem to just about be covering a chapter an episode, I wouldn't be supprised if this is going to do the JoJo's Phantom Blood / Battle Tendency Route. Plus that Rod in the To Be Continue card is her upgraded wand from R so we might have Pillar Men yet!
It's interesting to note that while the old anime has the "R" label for the arc after the Dark Kingdom, the manga has no such designation. Those start with "Infinity", which corresponds with S in the old anime.

Furthermore, "Crystal" would remain an appropriate title for the second arc.

We'll see, though.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
GAF likes it? Gasp!

Neo Queen Serenity in the endcard probably indicates Crystal's run will go at least up to Black Moon. Then they can start thinking about the second season.
Episode 2 seems to be chapter 2 of the manga, so don't expect significant plot expansions.

Dynedom

Crystal - 01

Not bad. Still have a soft spot in my heart for the old Moon Tiara music. Was kinda said not hearing it with it.

Usagi's voice is just perfect, imho. They seem to have caught her spirit well. The comedy is good too.

edit: Ami dominance to come next episode?

edit 2: Miss the old transformation music too. So much nostalgia.

Jex

That seemed pretty fine, all things considered. I've arleady whined about the CG elsewhere.

The background art was pretty solid but the actual animation was pretty underwhelming, but I guess that's what I've come to expect from Toei.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Oh, and I almost forgot...

Those roses should have been spinning!

Crystal - 01

Not bad. Still have a soft spot in my heart for the old Moon Tiara music. Was kinda said not hearing it with it.

Usagi's voice is just perfect, imho. They seem to have caught her spirit well.
They didn't change voice actresses. Kotono Mitsuishi did Usagi in the old anime as well, although she seems to be playing the role a tad differently this time.

Dynedom

They didn't change voice actresses. Kotono Mitsuishi did Usagi in the old anime as well, although she seems to be playing the role a tad differently this time.

I never watched the show outside of the original English dub, haha. Either way, this seems like good news. I remember we had a discussion about me needing to watch the original show properly from the beginning but I never got around to it. Maybe now I don't have to.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I never watched the show outside of the original English dub, haha. Either way, this seems like good news. I remember we had a discussion about me needing to watch the original show properly from the beginning but I never got around to it. Maybe now I don't have to.
Nope, since the new anime is going to be a straight manga adaptation, the new anime and the old anime are going to end up being completely separate entities. This first ep is largely the same because, well, all Sailor Moon versions do manga chapters 1-3 largely the same.

This episode was decent, better than I expected it to be.

They eyecatches were great. From the still images, I thought it would look bad, but the animation works. Or at least I can't spot any mistakes.

I only have a couple of complaints.

1) CG Transformation is awful.
2) Tuxedo Mask didn't do anything. If they can't give him roses, at least give him something.
3) The fight sequence in general was lackluster.

Dynedom

Nope, since the new anime is going to be a straight manga adaptation, the new anime and the old anime are going to end up being completely separate entities. This first ep is largely the same because, well, all Sailor Moon versions do manga chapters 1-3 largely the same.

From all the artwork I've seen, I don't think I'm going to have a hard time choosing between Ami and Minako anymore.

Ami supremacy confirmed.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
This episode was decent, better than I expected it to be.

They eyecatches were great. From the still images, I thought it would look bad, but the animation works. Or at least I can't spot any mistakes.

I only have a couple of complaints.

1) CG Transformation is awful.
2) Tuxedo Mask didn't do anything. If they can't give him roses, at least give him something.
3) The fight sequence in general was lackluster.

He's not a direct participant in the fights. He went to snoop by for the Silver Crystal and just happened to stumble upon Sailor Moon, he isn't there to rescue her every time in the manga nor does he carry around an infinite supply of titanium roses.

shoplifter

As a grown ass 36 year old married man, I loved the fuck out of this. This might be the one series I can watch without nitpicking, and only to enjoy.

I'm going to go play with my Figuarts stuff now.

As a grown ass 36 year old married man, I loved the fuck out of this. This might be the one series I can watch without nitpicking, and only to enjoy.

I'm going to go play with my Figuarts stuff now.

I think it's time to reposition mine, the battle between the 4 Sailor Senshi vs. Kamen Rider Fourze and Cure White has ended

Zoe

He's not a direct participant in the fights. He went to snoop by for the Silver Crystal and just happened to stumble upon Sailor Moon, he isn't there to rescue her every time in the manga nor does he carry around an infinite supply of titanium roses.

In fact
he develops an inferiority complex because of it
before too long.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I was going in with low expectations. The show has charm but the animations are very low budget. The transformation scene is terrible but other than that a decent show.

Sailor Moon Crystal 01

I was expecting the worst after watching the leaked stuff, but it's actually good! Of course, the 3d stuff still looks crappy, but at least the other stuff is fine. Hyped for the next episode now.

JC Lately

Oh hey guys I just woke up and I'm about to jump onto Crunchyroll and check out the new Sailor Moon Cryst--

Tuxedo Mask didn't even throw a rose....if he's gonna be useless at least give him that Toei, also is Naoki Sato doing the soundtrack for the show because it all sounded very PreCure-ish.

What.

*deletes Sailor Moon Crystal from my CR queue*

I liked this first episode a lot. Granted, I also expected some half-assed effort from Toei, but the result was far more entertaining than what I hoped for.
I don't get all the jaded reactions I've seen so far.

cj_iwakura

I liked this first episode a lot. Granted, I also expected some half-assed effort from Toei, but the result was far more entertaining than what I hoped for.
I don't get all the jaded reactions I've seen so far.

They've been largely positive just with occasional griping.

duckroll

Episode 1

That wasn't awful, but it's a pretty average re-adaptation. I really like the backgrounds, and the watercolor style is pretty attractive. Definitely the best part of the series so far. The animation is kinda ho-hum, there isn't much to say about the story, the Sailor V arcade game looked like a bad Flash game, and the music is pretty lame. There were some pretty nice action scenes in the OP, and the eyecatch illustrations were very nice. Wish the show itself looked more like that. :(

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So they added the missing manga characters huh? Interesting.

My only gripe is that Usagi doesn't make puffy warped faces anymore but I guess that's par for the course.

gryvan

I can definitely say that this was pretty good. There were some flaws like the CG animation and other nit pickings but overall I think they did a really good job re-interpreting the original manga.

I personally would like a little bit more comical expressions similar to the original anime but I'm assuming there weren't a lot in the original manga.

I really enjoyed it, outside of the ehh cg-i transformation and some ehh animation at times I thought it was really good. Had no problems with the music then again I have no real nostalgia for the original Japanese OST as I've only just started listening to it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I thoroughly enjoyed Sailor Moon Crystal; I was scared that Toei Animation would screw up somehow but they captured the essence of what made Sailor Moon enjoyable when I was a toddler. Nevertheless, Toei Animation are some cheap motherfuckers. This is Sailor Moon were speaking of and the idea of only spending 100k per episode needn't to be applied for the franchise.

Ryuukan

This won't surprise anyone but I wasn't impressed. The animation is lacking and the pacing is mediocre at best. I was hoping they could update the writing but that was a misplaced hope. Women being enslaved by jewelry without irony doesn't exactly cut it in 2014, among other things.

Edit: The video game scenes were kind of nice.

Jewelry scene was as out of place as usagi being voiced by a 40 year old

Should've changed both

Yukiari

That was actually quite enjoyable, when I first saw the pre pictures and stuff I really thought it was going to be awful.

Cheers to more Sailor Moon, familiar but new all the same.

It was a pleasant surprise, though as was with the original, the talking scenes are the most enjoyable.
Usagi definitely has a more reserved voice, maybe because the VA is older now, and because of this I can only hear Misato when she talks.

-also the worst part about it was the translation, some weird choices there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom