• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Okay, the 3d Transformation looks less shitty then what the initial footage did portend, but yea, still not good.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My FB is blowing the fuck up over this episode.

I'm not gonna watch it tonight. Hope it's good!

Prax

That was.. not so bad! XD
Still shoddy animation in some places with questionable direction, but I didn't hate it so.. good!

I signed up for the free trial to make sure I could watch it on Crunchyroll. Wa everyone else able to see it without signing up?

Sailor Moon Crystal 1

I liked the eyecatches. Not the music or the CG. But other than that. it's like... the first episode redone in this new style. I don't know why, but Umino seems more annoying now than before. Maybe because I don't want to hear him at like 2 in the morning.

Mamoru's voice seems to be working well (but seriously Ms. Bump Head? Crunchy pls) We're seeing some Ami next time, and hey, Usagi is still talking about a bald spot on a cat. It's the Sailor Moon I recall experiencing last year, that's for sure.

And the fact that Tuxedo RAMASAMA did less was also great.

jgminto

Better than I expected. Still wish they didn't go with CG for the transformation but other than that it was fun.

Prax

Crunchyroll's translations were all kinds of hit and miss though, I think. I think someone needs to resub.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
That was.. not so bad! XD
Still shoddy animation in some places with questionable direction, but I didn't hate it so.. good!

I signed up for the free trial to make sure I could watch it on Crunchyroll. Wa everyone else able to see it without signing up?

Yeah, I was able to watch with no subscription. I guess they the warning they had up was a default one.

Crunchyroll's translations were all kinds of hit and miss though, I think. I think someone needs to resub.

Yes, some of it was weird.

Is it the same translation everywhere?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Episode 1:

That was, pretty good actually, and certainly less shitty then I was expecting. Yea, it still bears some of the sores of the troubled production and questionable direction but this was still a pretty good adaptation of the first episode. One of the most striking things I found is how faithful the original anime episode 1 is to the source material given how much that would change. Also, I don't want to strangle Crystal Usagi as much, that alone is worth the price of admission.

cj_iwakura

I'm legit surprised. Episode 1 was great.

+
Subtle new changes
Had Motoki, Naru, Umino, Haruna, Shingo and Ikuko
Great BGM
Dat Sailor V HD remake
Nice ED song
Subtle use of Jadeite, great for building hype
AMI!

-
Poor translation, but acceptable. Sailor Moon saying 'what the hell?' come on now.
Weak OP, bring back Moonlight Densetsu.

Overall very pleased.

I think Hulu's was the same as Crunchyroll's.

Pluto

I loved it, it was wonderful i just wish we'd get a new episode every week, stupid 26 episodes over one year plan. :(

Not a bad first episode. I think i'm already used to the artstyle after seeing it in motion. I've never read the manga, so if this is following it closely I'm looking forward to seeing more.

JokerAceX

Tuxedo Mask didn't even throw a rose....if he's gonna be useless at least give him that Toei, also is Naoki Sato doing the soundtrack for the show because it all sounded very PreCure-ish.

I loved it, it was wonderful i just wish we'd get a new episode every week, stupid 26 episodes over one year plan. :(
The wait is my only complaint. :(
I would so buy that Sailor V game on PSN. Do it, Toei.
I'd buy it on the PlayStation Network, Nintendo eShop, Xbox Live, Atari 2600/5200/7800/Jaguar, 3DO, Magnavox Odyssey...EVERYTHING.
Tuxedo Mask didn't even throw a rose....if he's gonna be useless at least give him that Toei
He doesn't throw roses in the manga, which is what this is based on.

Anyway:
1uKZEMg.jpg

Scavenger

lol they kept the glowing hair orbs from the 1st anime. In the manga she wore goggles in the first couple of chapters which functioned in the same way.

Stuart444

Loved it, animation in some places wasn't great but that's my only complaint. The CG transformation did look a bit odd but I still liked it.

OP and ED were nice as well.

Overall, even more hyped for the rest of the series. Also AMI-CHAN!

This won't surprise anyone but I wasn't impressed. The animation is lacking and the pacing is mediocre at best. I was hoping they could update the writing but that was a misplaced hope. Women being enslaved by jewelry without irony doesn't exactly cut it in 2014, among other things.

Edit: The video game scenes were kind of nice.

Mr_Zombie

Just watched it. I think I liked it, but because it was so similar to the first episode of the anime, it was a weird: like a scene-by-scene remake sort of thing.
Art style and animations were fine. I just miss over-the-top faces and motions that were used in the original anime for comedic purpose. Transformation scene, while a little bit jarring, wasn't that bad. I liked the music they used before and during the transformation - made it more epic.

And it's funny how useless Tuxido Mask was :D He didn't do anything here, just shouted "do it now!" which was meaningless because a second later Luna said the same thing and actually explained what is it that Usagi should do.

Moaradin

I quite liked it. It's been many years since I've seen Sailor Moon, and It's only ever been in English. Usagi's voice and constant whining grated on me a bit, but I imagine I'll get used to it. The CG transformation was jarring, but it wasn't too bad. I've seen much worse when it comes to CG.

I liked the BGM a lot. OP/ED were pretty good as well.

MikeMyers

Mamoru sounds like Furuya, but Tuxedo Kamen sounds a bit different. I can live with this.

Jouji Shibue remains my favourite Mamoru, but I'm willing to give this guy a chance.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This won't surprise anyone but I wasn't impressed. The animation is lacking and the pacing is mediocre at best. I was hoping they could update the writing but that was a misplaced hope. Women being enslaved by jewelry without irony doesn't exactly cut it in 2014.

Well, that is more the downright odd dichotomy of Naoko Takeuchi. One foot on the progressive and one foot on the traditional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom