• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sakurai on Smash clone haters: "A lot of them are children, it cannot be helped."

Bass260

Sakurai certainly isn't wrong given parts of the fan base. And he posts on miiverse everyday...If you've ever read some of the posts on there you'd pray to god they're coming from children too ;)

watershed

Banned
Sakurai is on a roll. He's right though. Alts aren't taking the place of wholly original characters, they're just cool alternatives that satisfy some fans while taking less time to develop. They really are the cherry on top. And no one can deny that the roster is already packed even without the alts.

My issue is that despite me agreeing that clone characters are better than fewer characters, why couldn't he make more interesting clone characters like Diddy/Dixie, Mewtwo/Lucario Impa/Sheik.
Pretty much my feelings. I have no qualms with clones in general. I just have issues with the clones they chose. I feel like there were some better options that wouldn't have lent themselves to as much criticism

Zomba13

And I thank him for that.

I honestly would have been completely fine with MORE KI characters.

Dark Pit should have been an alt and Hades should've been in. But you know, time and cost and man hours so just change Pit's texture model a new side-b using assets from KI:U and record like, a minute more dialouge with the same VA and then count him as a separate character.

I like that we have Dark pit, Lucina, Dr Mario etc in the game but I think at this point, when we have alt costumes now, it'd be nice to trim the fat a bit and have them as alt costumes. I know that would mean "less" characters but those things happen when you give a character a new coat and count him twice.

Crayolan

Well I guess this confirms that past clones will never come back as alternate costumes, so give up any hope for that.

It doesn't explain why he doesn't bother to take further steps to de-clone veteran clones in the next game though.

He's got a point. If none of the three were in the roster, I'm guessing most people would be satisfied, but since they are in, it gives people the excuse to say that "X character took out slot!"
Yep. I'm so sick of the whole "character slots" argument to begin with because people always assume the character slots are some kind of commodity instead of what is usually "how many characters we can manage to develop in a time frame". If the clones didn't exist, they would not be replaced by your favorite character(s).

Fuck you too, Sakurai. What a shitty response. Still doesn't explain why Villager, Olimar, Wario, Mac and Bowser Jr. have such drastic alt skins though. I "get" it ( read: budget/ time restrains) but still... It's an odd and inconsistent design decision.
Wario already had more costumes than anyone else in Brawl, and they most likely designed the Koopa Kid, Villager & Alph alts before realizing how much of a hassle it would be to continue to do so as they got late in development with little time to squeeze in more characters.

Illucio

Banned
I've been very defendant of the clones to people, so what is his explanation for making new clones instead of older clones like Lucas and Wolf? That's my only jab at him.

But I agree, people who thinks there are "slots" in the game. Or that Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina were put in the game over their favorite characters, they deserve a dunce hat.

Was it really necessary to give your precious Dark Pit a separate Final Smash and his own victory theme, Sakurai? Why not use that time
and money on, oh, I don't know, making new victory themes for the other franchises or giving Toon Link and Lucina different final smashes?

MrBadger

He should have taken out dumb characters like Jigglypuff, Yoshi, and Lucario so that the team had more time and money to implement Hades.

I would have sacrificed them for Hades but you know that'd never happen.

Although Hades might find his way into Smash one day
as a third Falcondorf

Neiteio

Isn't this one of those things that Sakurai never actually said but everyone just "read somewhere" that he said it years ago.
Sounds to me like someone twisting the notion that Sakurai prioritizes unique characters that are different from others on the roster. But those children people don't understand that clones are what's done with the time and resources left after the unique characters have all been made.

Clones are a win-win all around. They take away from nothing, but they add playstyle variants to the roster and get another character represented. And that's great. :)

Zomba13

Well I guess this confirms that past clones will never come back as alternate costumes, so give up any hope for that.

It doesn't explain why he doesn't bother to take further steps to de-clone veteran clones in the next game though.

I am still baffled why Falco came back and not Wolf. I guess it was easier to put Falco in rather than Wolf because it's cheaper to clone a Fox than port a Wolf.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Well his free dessert analogy is pretty dumb. Since most people I know don't eat or want dessert after a luxurious meal.

It's just his classy way of saying that he made the roster bigger by pulling in other characters that are largely the same but with different properties.

And wouldn't require too much extra time to implement.

Dr. Mario and Dark Pit similarly (though maybe not to the same extent) have a few normals and significantly remixed specials to themselves their counterparts don't have, so he's not *that* far removed from them in how 'clone-y' he was. Lucina is the only case where taunts aside I think she shares everything with Marth besides the slight difference in stats, which leads me to think she was partially made a separate character due to FE:A's popularity. Plus I remember a ton of people wanting Lucina in last year when Robin seemed like an impossibility, so her staying as an alt for Marth probably would've rubbed people the wrong way farmore than Alph being an alt for Olimar has.

I held off mentioning Wolf since besides his Final Smash I'm not even sure any of his normal or special moves were actually shared with Fox. He was more just really, *really* conceptually similar to him rather than a clone, yet got way more heat than Falco ever did.

The only animations Dark Pit has that Pit doesn't is a final smash and his taunts/victory animations. Everything else is shared 100%. Lucina has some very slight variations, mostly because she's a little shorter.

Doc has a new down aerial, and a new down special in addition to everything else everyone else has. He also has a new entrance animation, the other two do not.

Drago

I am still baffled why Falco came back and not Wolf. I guess it was easier to put Falco in rather than Wolf because it's cheaper to clone a Fox than port a Wolf.
Falco also has a lot more Smash legacy and fanfare than Wolf does.

I just hope he (and Lucas) can make it back as DLC, I really prefer him to the other SF chars so it hits me hard he got cut :(

I've been very defendant of the clones to people, so what is his explanation for making new clones instead of older clones like Lucas and Wolf? That's my only jab at him.

Because Lucas and Wolf weren't clones. Their normal moveset is ENTIRELY different, and the differences between their special moves are a LOT bigger than those between Marth/Lucina, Mario/Doc and Pit/Dark Pit, especially in regards to Wolf.
Those 3 characters are just alt costumes with a few differences. Lucas and Wolf are entirely different characters with a few similarities to their source. Big difference.

Zomba13

Well his free dessert analogy is pretty dumb. Since most people I know don't eat or want dessert after a luxurious meal.

It's just his classy way of saying that he made the roster bigger by pulling in other characters that are largely the same but with different properties.

And wouldn't require too much extra time to implement.

He could have done it with Alph too, just replace Purple Pikmin with Rock. Change the model in the FS to the Pikmin 3 ship and make the character lighter/heavier/slower/faster or whatever and be done. There, super cheap and easy additional character. Different from Olimar because the rock does like 2% more damage or has better smash and worth of being his own character. Just like Lucina because her sword does damage equally and she was very slightly shorter than Marth.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The inconsistency is probably that Alph really isn't much of a character, and stretching "The Pikmin guy with the Pikmins" concept and weird fighting style across two whole characters probably doesn't work as well as more "standard" fighters like Mario, Marth, Pit, etc.

Also, there are seven Koopalings and there was no way they'd all be separate characters, so it makes more sense to make them alts for Bowser Jr.

I totally agreed with you. People complained about Alph don't really make sense because they basically did same thing in the games. My opinion is that Pikmin is main characters (and tool) of the Pikmin moveset. Some people are not aware of their original names in Japanese Smash. It was Pikmin and Olimar. (I could be wrong tho)

...you could also take that line literally as their are a lot of children who play the game after all.

Well, there are a lot of adults that actually being childish so I'm pretty sure that it would apply to them too.

But yet Sakurai completely lied multiple times about how he doesn't add clones in his games.

I'm pretty sure that someone faked that one. I haven't really hear that Sakurai actually said that. Where did you read that?

His original intentions do not exclude criticism, especially when the clones exhibit varying degrees of differentiation – Dark Pit being significantly more similar to Pit than Dr. Mario to Mario, for example.

Failing to see how "clones are basically bonus characters that take up little to no manpower" is not directly addressing the criticism, especially when the bulk of the complaints about them is the absurd idea that they took up a "character slot."

Fucking lol. I <3 Samurai so much.

If Smash Bros. 3DS had skimped on content and newcomers, this response would be laughably insulting. Since this game is quite the contrary though, packing in more things to do than most other games on the market, with carefully crafted love and care placed into every digital crevice, Samurai absolutely deserves the benefit of the doubt (along with a heft round of applause for his insane work ethic and vision)

Long live Samurott, saviour of fighting games

Popnbake

Falco also has a lot more Smash legacy and fanfare than Wolf does.

I just hope he (and Lucas) can make it back as DLC, I really prefer him to the other SF chars so it hits me hard he got cut :(

Didn't they include Lucas's PK Freeze in Ness's moveset?

I don't think he's coming back.

Fucking lol. I <3 Samurai so much.

If Smash Bros. 3DS had skimped on content and newcomers, this response would be laughably insulting. Since this game is quite the contrary though, packing in more things to do than most other games on the market, with carefully crafted love and care placed into every digital crevice, Samurai absolutely deserves the benefit of the doubt (along with a heft round of applause for his insane work ethic and vision)

Long live Samurott, saviour of fighting games
Lots of content is nice. What's nicer is when the content is actually good.

jnWake

It's hilarious that Sakurai is so blunt with his opinions that a lot of people always get mad when he says something.

It gets even funnier later because every Sakurai quote gets misinterpreted and altered so much that people assume some crazy things (many people still believe Sakurai hates DLC).

Zomba13

Also, the thing about man hours/cost makes me feel that if there is DLC it'd just be costumes or classic stages rather than new or returning characters. A lot of work would have to go into a new character (slightly less for a returning vet).

Didn't they include Lucas's PK Freeze in Ness's moveset?

I don't think he's coming back.
As far as I know all of Lucas specials are alt specials for Ness.

He could have done it with Alph too, just replace Purple Pikmin with Rock. Change the model in the FS to the Pikmin 3 ship and make the character lighter/heavier/slower/faster or whatever and be done. There, super cheap and easy additional character. Different from Olimar because the rock does like 2% more damage or has better smash and worth of being his own character. Just like Lucina because her sword does damage equally and she was very slightly shorter than Marth.

Well we don't know exactly how the resources have been spent. Perhaps Alph was planned to be added, but they didn't have the time so they kept him a unique costume.
Aside from that, just replacing 1 out of 5 possible Pikmin (and additionally to being the last one in the order) doesn't really help differentiating the character. That's not even the fraction of the moveset that changing always available specials/normals do.

Top Bottom