• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seven Dead, Several Hospitalized in Isla Vista Mass Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

They couldn't search his room without a warrant.
The police can always ask to search your car or apartment. This kid is such a scared little pissant he probably would have consented to a search. The more interesting question is, could they have even done anything if they found the guns (but not the crazy manifesto)?

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Probable cause tho. He was reported on suicide watch

I am pretty sure that it is protocol to first speak with the individual if possible and determine if the reports are true. The guy was a psychopath so I am sure he was able to mask his craziness when the police spoke to him. If he seemed completely normal in person, I don't think they could have entered his apartment.

The police can always ask to search your car or apartment. This kid is such a scared little pissant he probably would have consented to a search. The more interesting question is, could they have even done anything if they found the guns (but not the crazy manifesto)?

That is true, but he probably came off as a normal/dorky guy so they didn't bother.

Amalthea

Banned
Because they have severe mental issues. This isn't about a lonely regular Joe who just doesn't get how to impress women, but refuses to put in the work. This is a deeply disturbed person like James whatever that shot up the movie theater in Denver last year. These people should be institutionalized.
Yeah, I get that but that guy was so nuts he propably would have needed meds that completely fried his brain to protect society from him.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Probable cause tho. He was reported on suicide watch.

Did the cops even attempt to go inside or ask to come in?

I should be disgusted but the anonymity of the internet and all...

I am still disgusted. The internet doesn't give people a free pass at being deplorable human beings. Many of these same people are absolute pieces of garbage to joke around and be proud of a misogynistic megalomaniac who murders people for being happy, female, beautiful, etc. That is sick and a total reflection on how far we still must come as a society. It is the same reason I support using real names on the internet. Try to hide behind that keyboard or controller when people know you are a piece of shit racist, sexist, misogynistic douche bag.

Well it is interesting how this one played out. There have been plenty of entitled misogynistic killers, they were just more likely to rape and kill people under the radar. Some were never caught too. But we don't really talk about that kind of violence as it really is, gendered violence. Media, society, goes for the "mentally deranged" angle, and while sure, they have issues, they are motivated by a hatred of and entitlement towards women.

I'm surprised we don't hear more of the female serial killer .

Last case I can recall going on a national scale was Aileen Wuornos and that was because of the Monster film.

Vcu0U4a.png

I don't want to live on this planet anymore. People fucking suck

Camp Lo

Banned
Well it is interesting how this one played out. There have been plenty of entitled misogynistic killers, they were just more likely to rape and kill people under the radar. Some were never caught too. But we don't really talk about that kind of violence as it really is, gendered violence. Media, society, goes for the "mentally deranged" angle, and while sure, they have issues, they are motivated by a hatred of and entitlement towards women.

I hate to admit to such naivety but this guy has definitely opened my eyes to how despicable some guys are when talking about women. I've been around a lot of domestic issues, hear many stories from my wife and her colleagues but the way this guy has a comic book type of hatred. It's fucking surreal.

I hate to admit to such naivety but this guy has definitely opened my eyes to how despicable some guys are when talking about women. I've been around a lot of domestic issues, hear many stories from my wife and her colleagues but the way this guy has a comic book type of hatred. It's fucking surreal.

Most of the women I interact with, as well as myself, saw things in that manifesto that have been directed at us verbally (or written) from scorned dudes. That's another reason this hits so close to home to many women out there.

Most of the women I interact with, as well as myself, saw things in that manifesto that have been directed at us verbally (or written) from scorned dudes. That's another reason this hits so close to home to many women out there.

Yep, this entire thing is fucking terrifying.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
man is there any news story that doesn't bring out the worst of people in internet comments :/
I'm going on the assumption most of these people are in their mid 20's at most. Even most people in their mid 20's or younger realize this was a heinous and cowardly act.

It's convenient to blame mental illness and call this guy an evil bastard -- because it's hard to get to the point of "yes, shooting up a bunch of people sounds like an excellent idea. I think I will do that" without both.

But it bothers me that our society is so fucking good at producing these people.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I want to take out full page ads in newspapers all across the country that are just screen shots of these comments. Try to pretend that misogyny is dead. Fuck. I am so sickened by people right now.

Especially people who comment using their real name. Part it up all over their neighborhoods. "This is what your neighbor thinks about women." "Look at your employee/co-worker/classmate thinks about serial killers. "

It's youtube comments. You can post a video about kittens and you'll get people posting about how they wish they can stomp in their heads.

The problem for me is that, two days ago, this dude was spewing this stuff and everyone automatically labeled him as trolling. So how do we even know anymore? At lot of that shit, like the one I posted, is coming off as totally serious. It's scary as hell.

And people trying to handwave the shit coming out of it as trolling are totally ignoring the fact that these people are circle jerking these views all over the internet.

The problem for me is that, two days ago, this dude was spewing this stuff and everyone automatically labeled him as trolling. So how do we even know anymore? At lot of that shit, like the one I posted, is coming off as totally serious. It's scary as hell.

I was just posting towards amirox about stuff bringing out the worst in people online. Seems everything does. This one just hits closer to home because of the reality we are facing here.

I am pretty sure that it is protocol to first speak with the individual if possible and determine if the reports are true. The guy was a psychopath so I am sure he was able to mask his craziness when the police spoke to him. If he seemed completely normal in person, I don't think they could have entered his apartment.

That is true, but he probably came off as a normal/dorky guy so they didn't bother.

Read his manifesto again. He sounds frenzied, like he really didn't expect to be visited by cops.

You're telling me that even a rook wouldn't pick up on something like that and wouldn't ask to see inside?

There was also 7 of them. My knowledge of police procedural is limited, but isn't it the case once you open that door, you're automatically agreeing to an open search?

I am still disgusted. The internet doesn't give people a free pass at being deplorable human beings. Many of these same people are absolute pieces of garbage to joke around and be proud of a misogynistic megalomaniac who murders people for being happy, female, beautiful, etc. That is sick and a total reflection on how far we still must come as a society. It is the same reason I support using real names on the internet. Try to hide behind that keyboard or controller when people know you are a piece of shit racist, sexist, misogynistic douche bag.

It's youtube comments. You can post a video about kittens and you'll get people posting about how they wish they can stomp in their heads.

That line of thinking really irks me, because then there's no responsibility for comments.

I've been banned twice on NeoGAF for dumb comments. They didn't add to the conversation and after a good thought, I had to relearn how to articulate. As a result, I've gotten better at getting my point across respectably.

Some communities are just better at policing than others. The ones that police often are the ones that result in better curated communities.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

Yeah. I dated a "nice guy" before who had this type of attitude about women. He saw me as a trophy and once I started to express frustration at anything, I was the root of all problems and he even blogged nonstop to tell women in relationships how they should behave. I didn't understand him at all until he started to show his real colors and this just gave me bad flashbacks.

It's unsettling, and there's far too many men out there that think this way of thinking is justified.

Ah yes, I understand.

What scares me most is this sort of behavior feeds off of negativity. People calling them weirdos, creeps, losers just drives them deeper into that direction. With this happening I think people will be more likely to pull away from these types(understandably) leaving them more isolated and angry plunging them further into this terrible way of thinking.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's really all written like it was done by a troll.

Anyway it looks to me like he was looking for reasons to hate himself, with that lottery thing and all that. Reminds me of this guy who was posting in the dating thread and how he would always be depressed. Said "ok I'm going to the gym now"' then a week later says "I tried but I can't even lift a 5lbs dumb bell I'm so weak whyyyyyy". Every time he would claim he wants help, then would follow up with how he tried but it failed and confirmed that cosmos wanted him to suffer. I forget his nick but he got banned. Not sure if he got better.

"Gee guys, seven people might be dead but let's think about who's the real victim here."

I see Youtube comments are continuing to be the absolute worst.

Valhelm

contribute something
Bring me up to speed. He was a redditor that posted something dumb and then went on a rampage or what?

He was an idiot, psychopathic misogynist. It doesn't seem that he had a Reddit account, but he was active on the BodyBuilder Forums. One of his crazy misogynistic rants was posted on the /r/cringe subreddit, and hundreds of posters mocked him. Four days later, he murdered at least nine people and killed himself.

He was a huge MRA, but made most of those men look like radical feminists when compared to his views.

Yeah. I dated a "nice guy" before who had this type of attitude about women. He saw me as a trophy and once I started to express frustration at anything, I was the root of all problems and he even blogged nonstop to tell women in relationships how they should behave. I didn't understand him at all until he started to show his real colors and this just gave me bad flashbacks.

It's unsettling, and there's far too many men out there that think this way of thinking is justified.

I find men to be pretty creepy in general and I am a guy. Living in Athens I have seen some really desperate and creepy pick up behavior in bars and it makes me sick to my stomach. One guy a know is a total creep star and I tell him all of the time but he brushes it off. He's harmless but he just is wayyyy too forward with girls it bothers me.

apana

The one thing I will say about internet comments is there really does need to be better supervision and these companies can easily hire people to enforce policies regarding racist/sexist comments. Yahoo News in particular has become a feeding ground for trolls.

The way they talk aboute blondes being the common enemy gives me cramps.

There is a strong racial component to it I think.

The one thing I will say about internet comments is there really does need to be better supervision and these companies can easily hire people to enforce policies regarding racist/sexist comments. Yahoo News in particular has become a feeding ground for trolls.
Oh my, I can't even imagine the chilling effect on free speech if major internet websites solicited government officials to police their public forums. What a goddamn terrible idea.

Read his manifesto again. He sounds frenzied, like he really didn't expect to be visited by cops.

You're telling me that even a rook wouldn't pick up on something like that and wouldn't ask to see inside?

There was also 7 of them. My knowledge of police procedural is limited, but isn't it the case once you open that door, you're automatically agreeing to an open search?

That line of thinking really irks me, because then there's no responsibility for comments.

I've been banned twice on NeoGAF for dumb comments. They didn't add to the conversation and after a good thought, I had to relearn how to articulate. As a result, I've gotten better at getting my point across respectably.

Some communities are just better at policing than others. The ones that police often are the ones that result in better curated communities.

I'm not saying the comments are okay I'm saying the youtube comments are abysmal on pretty much every video posted and not just on something like this.

Cyan

Banned
I don't think we really need to repost awful comments from elsewhere on the internets. Anyone posting that garbage here would be banned, but if we're quoting random assholes from elsewhere it kind of defeats the purpose since we still end up having to see it. Y'know?

Oh my, I can't even imagine the chilling effect on free speech if major internet websites solicited government officials to police their public forums. What a goddamn terrible idea.

I don't think the poster is implying government workers... More like mods on any given forums making sure that dialogue doesn't turn into utter shit.

apana

I am talking about them hiring private individuals to do this and they have a right to monitor their forums. It is already stated in their official policies, they already take down comments, they just do it really slowly.

Valhelm

contribute something
I don't think we really need to repost awful comments from elsewhere on the internets. Anyone posting that garbage here would be banned, but if we're quoting random assholes from elsewhere it kind of defeats the purpose since we still end up having to see it. Y'know?

I disagree. These comments are relevant because they show that this killer was not completely isolated in his logic. Obviously an incredibly small minority of people in Men's Rights circles agree with what he did, but these YouTube comments show that there are people who support these crimes, and may be inspired to commit acts of violence in the future.

Volimar

I disagree. These comments are relevant because they show that this killer was not completely isolated in his logic. Obviously an incredibly small minority of people in Men's Rights circles agree with what he did, but these YouTube comments show that there are people who support these crimes, and may be inspired to commit acts of violence in the future.

I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom