• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shameless Season 5 |OT| I was here last season, where the hell were you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
shameless-season-5-poster.jpg

Show Information

Showtime said:
Chicagoan Frank Gallagher is the proud single dad of six smart, industrious, independent kids, who without him would be... perhaps better off. When Frank's not at the bar spending what little money they have, he's passed out on the floor. But the kids have found ways to grow up in spite of him. They may not be like any family you know, but they make no apologies for being exactly who they are.

Cast

F2842459.jpg

William H. Macy as Frank Gallagher
Emmy Rossum as Fiona Gallagher
Jeremy Allen White as Philip "Lip" Gallagher
Cameron Monaghan as Ian Gallagher
Emma Kenney as Debbie Gallagher
Ethan Cutkosky as Carl Gallagher
Brennan Kane Johnson and Blake Alexander Johnson as Liam Gallagher
Shanola Hampton as Veronica Fisher
Steve Howey as Kevin Ball.
Joan Cusack as Sheila Jackson.

Episodes

Episode 1 - Milk of the Gods
Fiona balances her day job and a crush on her boss; Lip leaves college and begins a job in demolition; Ian helps Svetlana; Veronica begins to work at The Alibi; Kevin acts as a stay-at-home father; Frank unveils a secret project.

Episode 2 - I'm the Liver
Episode 3 The Two Lisas
Episode 4 - A Night to Remem... Wait, What?
Episode 5 - Rite of Passage
Episode 6 - Crazy Love

Thank you for making a new thread. This series deserves one for each season. I felt the first episode of the new season was a little weak, but the Gallaghers are like family and I won't abandon them.

FrsDvl

Hope the OT will get more people to watch this amazing show!

Enjoyed the first episode, even though it wasn't the best, having the Gallaghers back on TV is all that matters.

Stoze

Was a bit disappointed to see Jeffrey Dean Morgan wasn't playing Fiona's boss, new guy seems like a good replacement though. Also Carl and Debbie are starting to look pretty damn old now, that's obvious of course but for some reason it really hit me in one of the opening scenes they had together.

I thought the episode was alright, I like how they kinda dropped us in the middle of everything, but the set ups and issues they are dealing with feel all too familiar. Here's hoping the writers can keep this thing fresh for a 5th year.

Bladenic

It will be a huge tragedy if this show ends with Emmy Rossum getting no recognition for her work. It's already been criminal.

Rootbeer

Banned
glad it's back. it's been consistently entertaining and it has one of the best ensembles of characters on television.

Going to watch S05E01 shortly

Mendrox

One of the best shows on TV. Loved season 1-4, liked the new episode. Very good acting in this series and interesting story lines. :)

tokkun

Repost from the other thread:

-Kev and V struggling with their babies falls a little flat given what we have seen Fiona do throughout the series.
-They are going to have to do something more interesting than "Lip struggles to balance his street background with his new college life"; we've saw that all last season. Ditto for "Ian struggles with bipolar".
-Frank/Sheila/Sammy storyline needs a character for the audience to root for. Most viewers already disliked Sammy, so making her the heel is probably toying with people's patience.
-Seems like they are setting the stage for a gentrification plotline. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Happy to have this back. I enjoyed the episode. It did feel like it was treading some old ground at times (especially with Frank and Sheila), but there was a lot of new to chew on too. All the setting up was good on a whole and I'm looking forward to see how all the lines will get entangled. I'm glad the writing on this show is good about juggling many characters, I always feel like I got a good bit of everyone.

I dug how they tried to make the boss' actor change work in-universe. Near the start of the episode he says "I may not have hired you, but I sure as hell can fire you.".

Repost from the other thread:

-Kev and V struggling with their babies falls a little flat given what we have seen Fiona do throughout the series.
-They are going to have to do something more interesting than "Lip struggles to balance his street background with his new college life"; we've saw that all last season. Ditto for "Ian struggles with bipolar".
-Frank/Sheila/Sammy storyline needs a character for the audience to root for. Most viewers already disliked Sammy, so making her the heel is probably toying with people's patience.
-Seems like they are setting the stage for a gentrification plotline. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

I see things differently on your first two points.

I feel like Kev and V's plotline seems to be setting up a Post-Partum Depression storyline for V as the focus seems to be on her having the most difficulty in adjusting. Not covered by Fiona's struggles.

And it seems to me more like Lip is trying to resist the temptation of his old life, rather than balance it. He wants to stay faithful to his girlfriend and stay out of trouble but their relationship isn't exactly traditional (each seemed hesitant to commit verbally) and he still has to live where he lives and be around people who will give him shit (or worse) for keeping his nose clean. It's definitely similar to what we saw him go through last season but I think now, more than ever before, he sees just how unattractive his old life really is. I think we'll see him on the other side of the line this season. Last year he was eager to find a way out of college and back to his old life whereas this time he'll grow sick of being at home and grow to hate that lifestyle.

I agree on the last two points though. Frank/Sheila/Sammy isn't intriguing in the slightest. It's almost like a rehash of Karen except Frank gives no shits Sammy where Sheila intensely cared for Karen.

Gentrification plot could be interesting as a point that all the characters can rally around.

I'm really interested in what they have planned with Jimmy-Steve and how Dichen Lachman's character "Angela" plays into it.

valeo

Fell off mid-way through last season, but have caught up again.

Last few eps of last season were really good, though not the highest highs I have seen from Shameless. (I think the best has probably already passed)

Emmy Rossum continues to nail every scene.

First ep of this season was a little flat, though Shameless usually takes a while to ramp up. I didn't mind Steve, but he really doesn't need to be brought back. The thing with Fiona's boss is a little boring too.

TheDanger

Banned
I really liked the episode, but I like everything about the show, is it me or did the budget increase? I think they showed more of the city in this episode than the entire last season.

Loke13

Ugh can we please get rid of Franks boring daughter Sammy? Or at least try to interrogate her into the Gallagher family because at this point she's kind of pointless and easily the least compelling of Franks kids.

Sex sex sex... From season to season more and more sex and nudity. Too much, feels so forced just to make it edgy. Same problem with many TV programs. GoT is full of it, starting to loose impact and feels like sex and nudity are there in many series just cos it's the "thing" now.

Stasis

Sex sex sex... From season to season more and more sex and nudity. Too much, feels so forced just to make it edgy. Same problem with many TV programs. GoT is full of it, starting to loose impact and feels like sex and nudity are there in many series just cos it's the "thing" now.

There's definitely a lot more sex and nudity in TV in recent years. I don't mind it personally, though there are certainly times I feel it's just kind of thrown in for no real reason.

Watch some Banshee. Like the first episode of this season. Shameless will feel a lot more tame afterwards =)

Anyway, gf and I loved the first episode. Looking forward to another 2 full seasons. Great news about season 6! The only question is whether I watch it week to week, or wait so I can binge =/

Awesome news about the renewal.

Good premiere too.

I'm pretty bummed by the loss of Jeffrey Dean Morgan though. Nothing against Dermot Mulroney, he's okay, but Jeffy D. is perfect for the Shameless world. Hopefully since they're actually playing different characters they've left it open for a possible return, though I'd imagine Mulroney's character is getting the plot line they had planned for him.

Not to crazy about Lip suddenly having a group of friends either. They've gone out of their way to show him not stray far from Ian and Mandy in the past, so it just feels like an easy plot for them to give him this season. I'm not really a fan of the character anyway, so this isn't helping.

As for Sheila/Sammi, it's nice to have a lighter story going on before things surely get dark for the Gallagher's again. "...and that Chuckie thing" Hah. Love Sheila.

huh? this show has had a ton of sex on it from season 1.

liked the premiere, but it didn't really have a lot of time to get through where every character is right now. But I liked the focus on Vee/Kev and Fiona and Lipp. Too much Sheila.

Revolver

I'm pretty bummed by the loss of Jeffrey Dean Morgan though. Nothing against Dermot Mulroney, he's okay, but Jeffy D. is perfect for the Shameless world. Hopefully since they're actually playing different characters they've left it open for a possible return, though I'd imagine Mulroney's character is getting the plot line they had planned for him.

I'm disappointed in that too. I don't really care about Mulroney one way or the other but Morgan was a perfect fit.

First episode was kind of slow but I'm glad to see the crew back.

I'm disappointed in that too. I don't really care about Mulroney one way or the other but Morgan was a perfect fit.

First episode was kind of slow but I'm glad to see the crew back.

I always find the first episode of the season to be the weakest of the bunch for Shameless, especially season 2's. It's always just a catch up on the characters, so I'm not too worried about it being slow. It'll pick up.

I'm really interested to see how Jimmy-Steve's girlfriend plays out.

New episode tonight
I'm the Liver

Frank tries to talk Sheila out of an offer; Lip has his first day of work; Kev and Svetlana bond; Debbie struggles with friends and boys; Ian plots revenge; Fiona's house arrest ends.

gabbo

How much time passed between this and last season? Liam grew like a weed!

I don't think it's meant to have been more than a couple months(Lip going from mid year to finals). It's just that he's really young, so it shows more - Carl and Debbie grew a lot between the last two seasons for instance.

tokkun

Pretty solid episode this week. I don't know if I can deal with another season of Debbie awkwardly trying to lose her virginity, though.

T.O.P

Banned
Fantastic episode

The liver reunion and the homophobic church part were damn hilarious and Svetlana being likeable in this season is also working great so far

Shaping up to be a great season

Loved it. That "chaos" scene was fantastic. They're really not wasting any time tearing Fiona down this season.

Svetlana was hilarious. Sheila got a little too dark at the end there though. Man...

Loke13

This was a really good episode much better than the premier which I liked also.

Everybody was just hilarious this episode. And the whole "Chaos" speech was fantastic.

-SHAMELESS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom