• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shameless Season 6 |OT| Just Family Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. So many plot threads that have been slowly developing took form this week, I'm impressed with where this show is going while last week I had pretty much no idea where it was going. I even like Debbie's stuff now.
I'll be honest though with some of Debbie's scenes with the husband, I cringed quite a bit. So awkward.

Didn't change jack shit for him really. He's still super-lip.

Lip's stuff felt kind of after-school-special-y to me. I also felt like they made Helene retroactively less interesting in anticipation of them splitting. What university prof likes Ayn Rand? Practically zero because her stuff is generally seen as lacking philosophical credibility. And Klimt? Yeah the Ikea is full of Klimt prints, lol. Real adult sophistication there.

Also idk what they're doing with Karl. He's still occupying this weird comedic relief/shit is getting real position. Idk if it's like kid actor growing up or whatever but I'm not sold on his stuff. I did like the part where he gave Frank money, though. Generally Frank being on your side is a bad sign, so I'm sure there's some drama there with Karl being a baller but no one but Frank really endorsing it.

Also Ian's stuff is kind of meh, but I'm sure that's because they had to rewrite his storyline with Mickey leaving, so it's more just a case of having to plant the seeds now for later payoff, like we've been seeing a lot of now. Like how long has Debbie been a pain in the ass? (for example), and now we're seeing that she might be able to take care of herself. Or Fiona's stuff in the past seasons of having to think less and less about her siblings, because they're all becoming independent. These things take a while to develop but I'm consistently impressed by them when they do.

Otherwise pretty much everyone got some great character beats. One thing in particular is it's nice being able to see how good of parents Vee and Kevin can be, now that they're dealing with kids and not just ravenous crying puke machines/babies.

I'll be honest though with some of Debbie's scenes with the husband, I cringed quite a bit. So awkward.

Oh yeah definitely, I was bracing so fucking hard in her scenes this episode lol.

Thetinman

Lip is heartbroken because his mother will never love him. There are still a few past season episodes I haven't seen and I don't know if this was talk about but it seem to me Lip keeps falling for women who are in some way like his mother. With Fiona doing the same with men who are like her father.

Is Mickey not coming back at all?

Debbie is just killing me? I think I know what there going for but its just do hard to watch.

aku:jiki

My favorite part was Frank really enjoying cancer mom's company over the shared tales of snorting PCP off some dude's dick.

Really didn't understand what was going on with cancer mom getting in bed with Debbie, but I guess we'll see next week.

Lip's stuff felt kind of after-school-special-y to me. I also felt like they made Helene retroactively less interesting in anticipation of them splitting. What university prof likes Ayn Rand? Practically zero because her stuff is generally seen as lacking philosophical credibility. And Klimt? Yeah the Ikea is full of Klimt prints, lol. Real adult sophistication there.
I feel like they've built her up as like an intellectual poser all along. I can't remember what it was in the last season that clued me into it, but there was also her lecture where she was owned by some dude in the crowd for not following the latest developments in her field. I think the idea is that her husband is the actually smart one and she resents that? I just don't know what the point of that would be... That she's actually serious about wanting him dead?

Is Mickey not coming back at all?
He is apparently gone for good, yeah. Sucks. :(

Really good episode. Just caught up with it.

Lip is really lucky. Everything bad happens and it doesn't happen to him.... yet.

The refugees are going to be interesting.

There's something about that pillow fight that made me smile a little. It was a nice touch to end the episode.

FrsDvl

Really didn't understand what was going on with cancer mom getting in bed with Debbie, but I guess we'll see next week.

It probably has to do with her Lesbian past, and the fact Debbie does kind of look like Melissa Etheridge. And she also thinks Debbie is 18.

vypek

Nick's storyline today was super sad to see tonight.
Wish the storyline overall was going to be redemption. Nice to see Carl helping out with the family. Seems like his character is actually worth something now.

Yo, The ending to Nick and Carl's story got me all teared up.
Seeing Carl look all vulnerable like that and him stepping up to the plate got me all teared up.
Nick is going away for the rest of his life. Dude never had a chance with the environment he grew up in and the way he was so singleminded about the bike.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Nick is going away for the rest of his life. Dude never had a chance with the environment he grew up in and the way he was so singleminded about the bike.

I wish I didn't watch as much TV as I do. I end up getting accustom to certain tropes. As soon as Nick began talking about that farm I knew his character was going to be gone by episode's end due to the spontaneous character development to make us feel something.

That said, the scene was great and powerful in a way.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This season is very depressing, more than usual I think. Really enjoying it though.

Negaduck

Yeah, the scene with nick just had me and the Mrs just quiet.

Took a while before we said anything. . . phew.

I thought it would be a gun that he shot the kid but seeing the hammer. . .

Taruranto

"No, you dumb fuck. Everything I say is bullshit, but you believe me because I have accent and never smile"

God, I love Svetlana. One thing that puzzles me is why does she live in the Alibi rather than the Milkovich's house?

Not sure I like Ian's story. I understand what they are trying to do, but it feels very awkward. "I though kissing was something you only did after having sex a couple of time". Ugh, really? Even if his relationship with Mickey was fucked up, I refused to believe Ian doesn't have a basic understanding of human relationships, come on. Also, how old is Ian supposed to be? Isn't he underage or something?

Can't believe Audrey is playing a grandma.

Snorlocs

Oh wow. I love shameless regularly but this episode had me in tears. What a great time. I know a lot of people hate Carl but he is one of my favorite characters and this episode had me all worked up. Bravo

Another fantastic episode.

Carl and Nick's story was sad as hell. I was really hoping things turned out well for Nick and he'd have a happy ending when it was time for the character to leave the show, but this is Shameless after all...

I'm glad to see Lip's poor treatment of others finally biting him in the ass. Are we supposed to believe he actually loves Helene though? With the way he's treated women in the past I'm having a hard time taking his story seriously.

It was cool seeing Sean being so supportive of Fiona and Carl when they were down. He's turning into a really interesting character. Things will not end well :(

Ian, meh. I hope he gets more into the firefighter stuff because it would be cool to see him with more structure in his life, but I don't think they're handling the relationship very well. I dunno, it just feels awkward to me.

Debbie, meh. Terrible. At least we're getting some classic Frank out of it.

Kev, V and Svetlana were hilarious as always. Love the bar stuff.

Bladenic

Yeah, the scene with nick just had me and the Mrs just quiet.

Took a while before we said anything. . . phew.

I thought it would be a gun that he shot the kid but seeing the hammer. . .

Perfect scene. In fact I think that's the best acting from Carl's actor thus far.

I'm glad Fiona had the abortion. I thought they might be going the route where she did not go through with it. Now the question is will Deb take the pregnancy to full term?

Paganmoon

Nick's storyline and end, holy shit, that was rough to watch. The screaming in the background, holy fuck....

I'm glad Fiona had the abortion. I thought they might be going the route where she did not go through with it. Now the question is will Deb take the pregnancy to full term?

I'm getting the feeling she'll have complications after the abortion though.

The past 2 episodes have been absolutely great. Carl's story was amazing this episode, his whole story arc has been one of the best parts of the season.

Mendrox

I love Carls and Ians story this season (will that kissing scene was awkward, but maybe it's his bipolar disorder?).

It's funny how the family still holds together and if shit hits the fan for real, somebody always steps up. Emmy Rossum is a god actress.

I'm glad to see Lip's poor treatment of others finally biting him in the ass. Are we supposed to believe he actually loves Helene though? With the way he's treated women in the past I'm having a hard time taking his story seriously.

I don't think that it is "love" per se, but rather that he sees her as a mother figure that he didn't have in the past (except for Fiona, but she is still his sister). I just hope that Lip won't fuck up in school... after all these years and hardships he should get graduate and get an awesome life. That situation with Helene shows him that he is not even safe in that kind of area.

vypek

I don't think that it is "love" per se, but rather that he sees her as a mother figure that he didn't have in the past (except for Fiona, but she is still his sister). I just hope that Lip won't fuck up in school... after all these years and hardships he should get graduate and get an awesome life. That situation with Helene shows him that he is not even safe in that kind of area.

I wanted him to graduate as well but seeing how things are going in the preview I'm not sure it will work out. But that could just be a red herring or just minor setback.

someday

Banned
I really enjoyed this episode. Glad it's over with Helene and Lip. Sad for Nick and his story. As much as I hate Debbie's pregnancy, I'm having fun with Erica's story. This was also the first time I actually liked Carl. Kev, V, and Svetlana are carrying the comedy for sure. Frank is alright too. We'll see what happens with Ian and the firefighter dude.

Fiona's ex is a dick. I was alright with the song but now he's just being petty. Get a divorce if you're upset but they knew each other for a week or two before they got married. It's not the end of the world.

Paganmoon

Do the writers actually expect anyone to feel sorry for Lip? I mean... come one...
And did Sean basically tell Carl to smoke up to deal with whatever he's going through?

FrsDvl

Do the writers actually expect anyone to feel sorry for Lip? I mean... come one...
And did Sean basically tell Carl to smoke up to deal with whatever he's going through?

Yeah how can you feel sorry for him honestly, i mean, whenever shit happens, another opportunity just gets handed to him. Sure he gets tossed around a lot, but he doesn't seem to have it all that bad.

And no i don't think he did. He just told Carl to leave it all behind, and start anew. Which also lines up with the preview for next week.

Fuu

Lip pretty much has luck powers at this point, like Longshot from the X-Men. It usually doesn't bother me and the writers even recognize it as a thing, but I wish they introduced the sorority stuff one episode later. Close one episode with the scene with him in front of Helene's house, then have him be kicked out of the dorm in the following one.

I'm liking what they're doing with Fiona and Sean, I hope it doesn't crash and burn. His character is a bit of a fuck-up too, so it's possible for him to stick around without her feeling like she has to eventually destroy the relationship.

vypek

Yeah, totally expected the sorority storyline to blow up in his face like he would be caught with that girl or something.

Just caught the last episode. Missed the one before and that sucks :(

Damn all these feelings fam ;_;

For real, Lip is one lucky ass person though.

vypek

Spoiler for episode on right now:

Watch out Debbie! This guy is creepy as fuck!

EDIT:

The
"cum for grandma"
line and scene was absolutely hilarious. I was going to say that that was Lip's luck disappearing but final scene of the episode made me think twice.

Fuu

Lip with Queenie was hilarious, I thought she was going to come onto him differently after her comment about him looking like a younger Frank, but it was way funnier than I expected.

Fiona hugging Carl in his room was great. Ethan Cutkosky's acting was real good in that scene, it's cool to see him doing more serious work this season.

Shame about the deal with the gun, Sean goes through a lot for Fiona so it was actually distressing to see him snap like that. Hope things work out somehow (I haven't watched any previews so I don't know if they already touch upon how it's going down).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom