• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shameless Season 5 |OT| I was here last season, where the hell were you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I hope lip get's out fully. He is one of my favorite characters and I would hate to see him get dragged bakc down. Fiona needs to make better decisions in life. I actually feel bad for Vee as being that depressed about your own children can't be easy. That svetlana/kev thing is gonna blow up in his face badly though
Totally, but they're cute together huh?

gabbo

Yeah, i'm not his biggest fan but at least he's willing to be a part of her actual life. We've yet to see how Gus feels about being a dad to the kids that Fiona is a guardian for. I mean, she hasn't been taking care of them at all this season.

With Sammi around playing Den mom, she hasn't had to. I think that may be coming to a head now that Sammi is shown to be actually insane.

Calcium

Banned
I am having a hard time watching this lately. So far this season just isn't working for me at all. This is without a doubt the worst season of the show in my opinion.

Things I don't like this season:

Sammi - Ugh. Get rid of her. She isn't even fucked up in that delightful Gallagher way. She is just annoying. Does anyone like this character?

Debbie - What the hell are they doing to Debbie this season? She went from being arguably the most normal member of the family to a girl that rapes a guy she likes and starts fighting other girls. Lame.

Fiona - The writers have been on a rampage with Fiona just constantly trying to get me to dislike her. Guess what? Mission accomplished. Way to ruin one of the better characters on the show.

Kevin and V - Wow, could this "fight" be any more forced? Suddenly V is a complete bitch that doesn't seem to give a shit about her children. Come on...

Jimmy/Steve/Jack - You brought him back....for that? Really?

Things I like this season:

Mickey and Ian - My favorite character on the show is probably Mickey after his progression the last few seasons. They are doing great things with this character and watching him go through getting Ian the help he needs has been great.

Lip and Frank - I like both characters and they are still delivering. They don't seem to be doing anything of note this season, but they aren't getting ruined either.

Overall I hope they can right the ship and end the season on a high note.

Loke13

I am having a hard time watching this lately. So far this season just isn't working for me at all. This is without a doubt the worst season of the show in my opinion.

Sammi - Ugh. Get rid of her. She isn't even fucked up in that delightful Gallagher way. She is just annoying. Does anyone like this character?

Debbie - What the hell are they doing to Debbie this season? She went from being arguably the most normal member of the family to a girl that rapes a guy she likes and starts fighting other girls. Lame.

Fiona - The writers have been on a rampage with Fiona just constantly trying to get me to dislike her. Guess what? Mission accomplished. Way to ruin one of the better characters on the show.

Kevin and V - Wow, could this "fight" be any more forced? Suddenly V is a complete bitch that doesn't seem to give a shit about her children. Come on...

Mickey and Ian - My favorite character on the show is probably Mickey after his progression the last few seasons. They are doing great things with this character and watching him go through getting Ian the help he needs has been great.

Lip and Frank - I like both characters and they are still delivering. They don't seem to be doing anything of note this season, but they aren't getting ruined either.

You don't think Lip is doing anything of note this season?

Macka

I do agree with your negatives, but I'd have a longer list for Season 4 than this one. This season is already a big step up over the last, but the consistency of S1-3 is definitely behind us.

Calcium

Banned
I'm talking less plot progression and more character development.

Ah, ok. While there isn't much character development for him this season I do like what there is.

I like his care-free relationship with Amanda.

I do too. I wish she was on the show more.

I do agree with your negatives, but I'd have a longer list for Season 4 than this one. This season is already a big step up over the last, but the consistency of S1-3 is definitely behind us.

While season 4 wasn't as strong as the first three for me it wasn't misfiring as much as the current one is. The only character arc I disliked in season 4 was Fiona, which being the main character of the show is a pretty big negative but at least I could find refuge in the other characters. This season almost everything sucks.

tokkun

What I miss about the early seasons is that the characters' stories are not as connected as they used to be. When they were working together to make a mortgage payment or get independence from Frank, it felt like they were actually a family. Right now it feels like everyone is off doing their own thing most of the time.

If you go back to season one, the reason SJJ and Fiona break up is that he wants her to put their relationship above her role as the head of the family. In the last couple seasons, she seems to be spending all of her time away from home anyway, and it is only acknowledged in passing - for instance when she is surprised to find out Debbie is in high school.

Loke13

What I miss about the early seasons is that the characters' stories are not as connected as they used to be. When they were working together to make a mortgage payment or get independence from Frank, it felt like they were actually a family. Right now it feels like everyone is off doing their own thing most of the time.

If you go back to season one, the reason SJJ and Fiona break up is that he wants her to put their relationship above her role as the head of the family. In the last couple seasons, she seems to be spending all of her time away from home anyway, and it is only acknowledged in passing - for instance when she is surprised to find out Debbie is in high school.
Yeah I really thought they were gonna address this but it hasn't been mentioned at all especially since being the mother hen has been a huge part of her character.

Seems like it's the same thing every year. People complain about Shameless being slow or going now where, then the show gets real good the last 3 or 4 episodes and people suddenly love the show again.

I much prefer this season compared to last. We have seen growth in a few characters like Lip, Mickey, and Deb. Lip is realizing he needs to cut ties with his family if he wants to break the cycle of his family for himself, Mickey is becoming more responsible as much as a guy who commits crimes for a living can, and Deb has hit bumps but is growing into a young woman.

Yes, Frank is still Frank and Fiona continues to make the same reckless mistakes with men. They probably should have killed off Frank last season and had Fiona become the new Frank considering how she lost her childhood having to raise her brothers and sisters. Ian's mental illness is very depressing. I've also been kind of bored and with V and Kev's storyline. What if V isn't depressed and just isn't a good parent? That shit happens. People think they want kids, but aren't parent material all the time.

tokkun

Well, just after I complained about them not having family-centered episodes, they bring have two family plotlines and Fiona and possibly Ian are moving back in to the house (Fiona had officially moved out?).

Snorlocs

Did the writers of this show just sit around a big bag of weed and go "You know lets make this season epic"? Cause this is my favorite season to date. What a great episode.

Wow, I don't even know what to say about that episode.

Let me list all the things I hated in it:

Damn it was practically perfect. I love this show. I'm so sad that we only have four more episodes left in the season.

Great episode. I'm really liking this season, other than how the whole Jimmy/Steve thing was handled. Last season was a bit dark, but they've seemed to come back to basic Gallagher chaos this year.

aku:jiki

That was some high quality trolling from the props guy in the scenes where Chucky and Liam were playing videogames. They had a Gamecube controller and a Super Scope plugged into an OG Xbox with a 360/PS3 game playing on the TV. Heh.

Also, I hope the shots of Ian looking unhappy with Mickey's embrace isn't leading to them breaking up, because I don't think I can deal with that. They're one of my favorite couples on TV.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Depressing stuff along with some hilarious shit this episode. Classic Shameless. Another great one, I'm really digging this season.

That was some high quality trolling from the props guy in the scenes where Chucky and Liam were playing videogames. They had a Gamecube controller and a Super Scope plugged into an OG Xbox with a 360/PS3 game playing on the TV. Heh.

Also, I hope the shots of Ian looking unhappy with Mickey's embrace isn't leading to them breaking up, because I don't think I can deal with that. They're one of my favorite couples on TV.
lol at chucky playing dead space 3 with a gamecube controller
lmao, I noticed that one too. There's usually a lot of attention to detail with the props, down to their cellphones all having history and never changing models without a reason, so that does feel like some intentional trolling.

someday

Banned
I actually got teary when Mickey said, "sorry I'm late."

This show is so fucking good. I think I liked everything this episode.

The scene where lip explained why he cant and shouldn't take a semester off to save money was the highlight of this episode for me. As far as seasons go, I believe this one has the potential to be the best out of them all for sure.

Fuu

The scene where lip explained why he cant and shouldn't take a semester off to save money was the highlight of this episode for me. As far as seasons go, I believe this one has the potential to be the best out of them all for sure.

Yup, Lip's monologue was amazing.
Yeah, that Lip scene was just sweet. It was also refreshing since the character rarely has a chance to speak earnestly about himself without external pressure. Fiona has Vee but Lip usually has his defenses up with everyone, so it was great to see him getting things off his chest like that.

It also got me thinking about how Fiona has something similar going on, and it helped me frame her hasty marriage decision better. She didn't do that only because she's a fuck up when it comes to relationships, but it was also an act of desperation. Both Fiona and Lip feel this massive guilt when they're not there for their siblings, but they're also feeling the risk of seeing their lives slipping through their fingers because they end up taking care of everyone else's shit when they're around the house. With Fiona the attempt to get away isn't on such a conscious level as it is with Lip, but it also explains why she's been more absent from the house since Carl and Debs were starting to be able to take care of themselves and of Liam. It's an interesting dichotomy, they love their family and want to be there for them, but that means they'll waste their lives doing that. And that got even more true with Ian's current situation. This stuff has always framed the show, but it's more bittersweet than ever seeing them all together now because they're very aware of the consequences of their choices. Before, Fiona and Lip had to be constantly told that they would squander their own lives if they didn't try to move on. Now they don't need anyone to tell them that.

And man, do I love any scene with Fiona and Lip together. They manage to sell that they're family so damn well. There's this kind of "same level fatigue" and fraternal love they share that's always great to watch.

Loke13

Yeah, that Lip scene was just sweet. It was also refreshing since the character rarely has a chance to speak earnestly about himself without external pressure. Fiona has Vee but Lip usually has his defenses up with everyone, so it was great to see him getting things off his chest like that.

It also got me thinking about how Fiona has something similar going on, and it helped me frame her hasty marriage decision better. She didn't do that only because she's a fuck up when it comes to relationships, but it was also an act of desperation. Both Fiona and Lip feel this massive guilt when they're not there for their siblings, but they're also feeling the risk of seeing their lives slipping through their fingers because they end up taking care of everyone else's shit when they're around the house. With Fiona the attempt to get away isn't on such a conscious level as it is with Lip, but it also explains why she's been more absent from the house since Carl and Debs were starting to be able to take care of themselves and of Liam. It's an interesting dichotomy, they love their family and want to be there for them, but that means they'll waste their lives doing that. And that got even more true with Ian's current situation. This stuff has always framed the show, but it's more bittersweet than ever seeing them all together now because they're very aware of the consequences of their choices. Before, Fiona and Lip had to be constantly told that they would squander their own lives if they didn't try to move on. Now they don't need anyone to tell them that.

And man, do I love any scene with Fiona and Lip together. They manage to sell that they're family so damn well. There's this kind of "same level fatigue" and fraternal love they share that's always great to watch.
Yes! I love their relationship so much they have some great chemistry with each other. Lip is Fiona's rock more so than any other character in the series and I love that at the same time he was the bridge between her and the other kids.

best episode of the season so far. man carl got himself into some deep shit but I can't help but still feel bad for the way Frank just tossed him around like that.

also this is completely pervy of me but I hope the situation with Amanda and that redhead ends up in a threesome. she's obviously nuts but pretty cute.

Loke13

best episode of the season so far. man carl got himself into some deep shit but I can't help but still feel bad for the way Frank just tossed him around like that.

also this is completely pervy of me but I hope the situation with Amanda and that redhead ends up in a threesome. she's obviously nuts but pretty cute.
All the Gallagher's have learned the hard way that Frank will screw them over bad and now it's Carl's turn. He's pretty much the last Gallagher who gives Frank the time of day all the other kids know not to fuck with him.

garath

Wow. I pretty much agree with all of this.

Lip is easily my favorite character on the show. Though I do like the development of Mickey quite a bit.

I feel like they have flat out ruined Fiona and Sammi is the most obnoxious and unlikable thing they have brought onto the show. It's almost enough for me to stop watching.

Calcium

Banned
So Sammi shoots Frank and everyone just shrugs it off? Come on, I know the Gallaghers are fucked up but this is ridiculous. My annoyance with this could just be because I loathe Sammi, but this just seems a little too much. I'm glad Frank is plotting to get rid of her. He's a good dude. You know that's true because he gave that rat some booze.

That monologue from Lip was just amazing. I honestly don't know if it was a rare moment of him letting his defenses down or if he was trying to emotionally manipulate the guy into letting him make payments.

It's a shame Ian is rejecting help, but at least Mickey is sticking around.

ezekial45

Banned
Did you forget that Frank let someone on the donor list die so he could get the insurance money? Or that he called CPS to get the kids out of the house as revenge against Fiona?

Him getting shot at by his daughter didn't seem that big of leap, in regards to the shit he'd done before.

Fuu

Did you forget that Frank let someone on the donor list die so he could get the insurance money? Or that he called CPS to get the kids out of the house as revenge against Fiona?

Him getting shot at by his daughter didn't seem that big of leap, in regards to the shit he'd done before.
lol yep. At this point if he suddenly died on the couch they would maybe mourn for one second then start whining about having to deal with the body.

someday

Banned
lol yep. At this point if he suddenly died on the couch they would maybe mourn for one second then start whining about having to deal with the body.
And I wouldn't blame them one bit. Sammi shooting Frank was probably the most I've ever liked her.

gabbo

And I wouldn't blame them one bit. Sammi shooting Frank was probably the most I've ever liked her.

It certainly sets things up for Frank to start doing things again, and for Fiona to get back in the house.

And while Carl now knows Frank doesn't give a fuck, Liam is next, and he's too little yet to know better, and everyone but Debbie seems to be leaving him behind or we're not seeing them on screen with Liam much anymore.

Hopefully that girl fucking Kev will quickly resolve this nonsense with he and V. Took way too long to get around to it.

Best episode of the season.

Calcium

Banned

Lolololol, have you just started watching Shameless? Frank is most definitely NOT a "good dude".

I'm well aware that Frank is a despicable human being. However if he is on a campaign to get rid of Sammi then I am in his corner 100%.

Also, I'm not saying that Frank getting shot is too much. I get that someone would want to end the miserable prick. The thing I was complaining about is that everyone in the family just seems fine with Sammi having shot him. I don't even understand why they put up with her in the first place and now she is a violent psychopath in addition to being annoying.

gabbo

Does he? The family doesn't know he called in the tip, right? From Carl's perspective, he should think that Frank saved him from getting caught with the drugs on his body.

I don't think any of them know, but Frank didn't exactly help him when the police arrived either. If anything, he'll turn to Lip and Fiona after this.

Stoze

That was a great episode, all the stuff with Carl was really entertaining. Sammy is going fucking nuts, holy hell at the swastika tattoo.

Shit is gonna go down in the next few episodes, I'm sure some of it will be really dark as usual.

leng jai

That's probably my favourite episode ever. All the separate storylines were diverse and pretty much perfect. Shameless really knows how to be ridiculous in a good way. Hope the doctor gets a few more episodes at least.

Mendrox

Best show ever. Really bad that it doesn't get the same attention as series like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and such... I like these series too, but Shameless feels like something else. It really feels real and the actors are all good, the stories are never boring, everything is emotional and sooo good and it's also funny and dark. I cannot explain this, but it goes into me top 3 shows of all time.

tokkun

I'm not really sure where they are going with Lip being bailed out by the rich alumnus. At first, I thought they were trying to make the point of how when you are an insider (like when you are attending an elite school like he is now), people will be more likely to give you a helping hand than when you are poor. Hence, Lip belaboring the question of whether there is a catch attached, because he can't believe someone would do something to help him out of a sense of charity. But when I thought about it a little more, I remembered that Lip is constantly getting people in authority trying to help him out: His guidance councilor, the robotics professor, and the college recruiter to name a few.

Also, they keep throwing out the "Lip bonds with strict authority figure over their secret vice" plot point. We had the robotics professor sleeping with his grad student, the girlfriend's dad smoking weed, and now the critical analysis professor with her open marriage.

Drake

Anyone think this encounter with the doctor will make Frank rethink everything? I hope so, but I doubt his character will have a happy ending.

Macka

That was easily my favourite episode since the S3 finale. So good!

Sasha Alexander looks absolutely incredible for 42. Hell, she looks better than most of the younger women in this show.

KarmaCow

Is this is this not final season? I thought it was for some reason by the Carl stuff seems like it's too long term.

Also, remember when Lip had to really try and struggle to be merely average in college?

Anyone think this encounter with the doctor will make Frank rethink everything? I hope so, but I doubt his character will have a happy ending.

Maybe but Frank is kinda like this with people outside the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom