• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shameless Season 5 |OT| I was here last season, where the hell were you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klocker

Poor frank, but he had fun. Was nice to see WH Macy get a little change of pace this season.

Overall pretty damned good season. Fiona crazy though.

jrush64

Banned
Its amazing how they turned Debbie into the worst character on the show. It was an alright but disappointing season.

ZeroFate

Eh... I actually think it's kinda realistic that someone whose had to be the responsible rock her whole life would hit the tennage angst part of their life. Hard. Especially with the lack of surpervision she's had. She's also never really had a functional "happy" family life, so it kind of makes sense that she thinks she's ready to start her own. Really sucks that she's pregnant though, not really looking forward to that storyline next season. -_-

Finale was good, but not on the levels of the past two seasons. The post credit stingers in particular weren't that great. Still an awesome show and can't wait to see where they go with Ian and Mickey (whose storylines made this season IMO).

Eh... I actually think it's kinda realistic that someone whose had to be the responsible rock her whole life would hit the tennage angst part of their life. Hard. Especially with the lack of surpervision she's had. She's also never really had a functional "happy" family life, so it kind of makes sense that she thinks she's ready to start her own. Really sucks that she's pregnant though, not really looking forward to that storyline next season. -_-

Finale was good, but not on the levels of the past two seasons. The post credit stingers in particular weren't that great. Still an awesome show and can't wait to see where they go with Ian and Mickey (whose storylines made this season IMO).

Thing is all of us been through the annoying teenager stage, but Debbie isn't just annoying she's bat shit insane.

Cmagus

Great finale for me. That ending left a smile on my face, the family is back together.

Overall the season was pretty good but things did go all over the place and with some characters it felt like they didn't know what to do with them. The stuff with Debbie was really weak and with Frank it felt like they just threw something together to give him something but he certainly took a back seat.

Kevin and Vee was bland although some of the stuff with Kevin was pretty damn funny this season. Lip's stuff was alright it really feels like they don't know where to take that character imo. Fiona was typical Fiona nothing new I really hope they do something else with her next season. I'm glad Sammi is gone and same with Sheila but interested in seeing what happens with Carl and Chucky.

Hatchtag

Banned
I don't like how they ended things with Ian and Mickey. Ian's just completely unlikable at this point. They sent him off with Monica, and it seemed like he learned he should be on his pills. But then he dumps Mickey for not accepting him not taking his pills? And didn't like two episodes ago we just saw Mickey does accept him when he doesn't take his pills? I don't get it. Hope they do more Ian/Lip stuff like the ending next season, cause that's the sole scene I've enjoyed Ian in this entire season.

But yeah, this really didn't tie up many loose ends, aside from Kev and V, but I thought last episode tied that up? I donno.

I don't like how they ended things with Ian and Mickey. Ian's just completely unlikable at this point. They sent him off with Monica, and it seemed like he learned he should be on his pills. But then he dumps Mickey for not accepting him not taking his pills? And didn't like two episodes ago we just saw Mickey does accept him when he doesn't take his pills? I don't get it. Hope they do more Ian/Lip stuff like the ending next season, cause that's the sole scene I've enjoyed Ian in this entire season.

But yeah, this really didn't tie up many loose ends, aside from Kev and V, but I thought last episode tied that up? I donno.

I think Ian is the old cliche of "he's better off without me." He looked at how nutty Monica was and he probably thinking he's going to turn out like that so he doesn't want to put Mickey through his ordeal. You know the whole "if you really love them you let them go" crap.

Not that this explains how crappy that breakup scene was but Mickey is not currently signed on for the next season so that's why they ended that that way.

These whacky relationships are starting to throw me off a bit. Don't know if these are spoilers so I'll tag everything:

Debbie and what's-his-name: completely unbelievable; would never happen in real life; just seems stupid and like the kid is going to say "Just kidding! My friends bet me I wouldn't date and fuck you for money" any time now.

Lip and the teacher and her husband: I get him and the teacher, but the way the husband is involved now is just making this weird and pointless.

Fiona and Charlie: Jesus christ, does this bitch just fall in love with anyone? Let me guess: it's all going to end badly and she'll be crying about it for a few episodes in the future.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I liked how they opened the episode showing Gallaghers waking up at a different places and at the end they were all back at the house (or going back to, in Carl's case).

It feels like they wanted to set things up to end the show in the next season, which would explain the higher than usual amount of loose ends. We'll see. Great season overall.

Taruranto

Also Ian (or anyone) didn't seem to give a shit about Sammi shooting Mickey, what the hell.

Cmagus

Also Ian (or anyone) didn't seem to give a shit about Sammi shooting Mickey, what the hell.

I think they did that to show that the characters were just tired of all the crap that happened and were just happy the family was back together as they were pretty much separate from each other the whole season with little support from each other. I think it was meant to show that they all went through so much crap that they don't care.

I mean Lip and Ian in the truck was obviously going back to the earlier seasons and the way things use to before before their lives became so much more complicated.

It feels like they wanted to set things up to end the show in the next season, which would explain the higher than usual amount of loose ends. We'll see. Great season overall.

I was just reading this interview (finale spoilers) and I get the feeling they left it open ended because they're not sure about the future of certain actors. The interview mentions the actors playing Mickey, Sammi, Chuckie and Carl might not be able to come back next season.

I'm not sure what to think about the whole season. It definitely had it's moments of comedy or intense drama. On the other hand, the individual stories were not that great. Frank had virtually no connection or interaction with the family, which is a real shame. The marital problems for Kevin and Vee came out of nowhere. Fiona spent the entire season making mistakes. Lip's college dilemma was presented in an extremely heavy handed manner. Debbie was just bad and Carl dealing drugs was... I don't know. And everything was anchored down by Sammi. Honestly, the only bright spot was Ian and Mickey and even that was only because of Mickey's acting. And now they talk about possibly losing him next season? That's not good.

I don't know... I sound overly critical of the show but I did enjoy the season quite a bit. The moments are great even if the tapestry is starting to wear out. I feel they should think about wrapping up the show now.

I was just reading this interview (finale spoilers) and I get the feeling they left it open ended because they're not sure about the future of certain actors. The interview mentions the actors playing Mickey, Sammi, Chuckie and Carl might not be able to come back next season.

I'm not sure what to think about the whole season. It definitely had it's moments of comedy or intense drama. On the other hand, the individual stories were not that great. Frank had virtually no connection or interaction with the family, which is a real shame. The marital problems for Kevin and Vee came out of nowhere. Fiona spent the entire season making mistakes. Lip's college dilemma was presented in an extremely heavy handed manner. Debbie was just bad and Carl dealing drugs was... I don't know. And everything was anchored down by Sammi. Honestly, the only bright spot was Ian and Mickey and even that was only because of Mickey's acting. And now they talk about possibly losing him next season? That's not good.

I don't know... I sound overly critical of the show but I did enjoy the season quite a bit. The moments are great even if the tapestry is starting to wear out. I feel they should think about wrapping up the show now.

If none of them comes back then that means Mickey gets shot goes away, Sammi gets locked up and they just ignore the kids in juvie.

Hopefully they do come back...Enjoy Mickey, and Carl over Debbie as of now.

Where does Frank really go from here? Last season he almost died. This season he fell in love and watched someone die, maybe for selfish reasons. Are we going to begin next season with him just hustling and being the same drunk Frank we've seen before?

leng jai

I enjoyed Amanda's breakdown, felt sorry for her. Lip is a massive dick. The actress did very well in the finale.

The finale was a non-event really, and not in the good way. Fiona is terrible and falls in love with anyone that makes eye contact with her. Her saying I love you is the equivalent of her yawning in the morning. Debbie's character is absurdly stupid and the entire story arc makes no sense whatsoever. Frank/Bianca wrapped up nicely, albeit predictably. They did a fine job of making her naked for 80% of her scenes.

There were a few amazing episodes this season, but from an overall perspective it was just so-so.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Yeah, I enjoyed the season but I agree that the show is starting to show some wear and tear conceptually. The major point of the show is that Ghallagers fuck up, but that can only go so far. I've talked a bit about it before in the thread, but these characters are all intelligent and competent people that have grown throughout these seasons, so there comes a point where seeing them fucking up in the same ways isn't engaging anymore.

I do feel the writers are aware of this. This awareness can be seen in how Fiona walked a thin line of "almost fucking up for real" the whole season, but by the end her relationship with Gus can still go either way and she still kept her job. Frank was put in a different position instead of just drugging himself and doing hilariously mean shit as per usual. Lip didn't intentionally screw his chances as far as his future goes, even though emotionally it was a different story (I'm glad they didn't make Amanda rat on his relationship with the professor). But the whole ultimately didn't gel as well as it usually does.

I feel like we're at a point where even though the individual scenes are still great (hell, Vee and Kev's forced dilemma still delivered to me because it consistently made me laugh out loud) and the acting is still solid as fuck, the usual formula of the show is starting to show some cracks. If the Shameless characters we've come to know keep fucking up their lives by themselves it feels like threading old ground, and if they have things go bad for them due to some outrageous happenstance it feels cheap when all is said and done.

This season also had to deal with actors leaving the show or seemingly planning to, which is always hard to juggle. I wouldn't oppose a strong final season while the main gang is still there, with the writers going all out and tying everything up. That, or seeing the show reinventing itself a bit. Bringing the family back together is a necessary step that I hope is a focus in the following season.

DedValve

Banned
I agree that maybe the next should be the last, especially if they aren't sure they can get the actors back.

Just have everyone come back for one last hoorah. I hope we don't lose mickey tho :(

GtwoK

No one seems to have mentioned the Breaking Bad homage in the episode—a guy named Walter who cooks meth in an RV? Come on. I picked up on that right away!

I thought it was known that Carl wasn't coming back, and that's why his plot line ended him up in jail? Something something the actor wanted to focus on school, so they wrote him off. No?

I think Mickey is gone or dead, Cameron Monaghan who plays Ian tweeted yesterday https://twitter.com/CameronMonaghan/status/585138767335297024

5 years we were at this @noel_fisher. It has been a pleasure developing these characters, their relationship & story. You're the man.
Best.

Sounds like a goodbye tweet to me.

Also what the hell is going on with Fiona, she cries about screwing up but then beds the next guy that comes along in her life, then cries about screwing up then sleeps with someone else.

I used to like the Gallaghers but each of them have become unlikeable because of their dickish attitudes. Hopefully next season will focus on just the family again instead of the completely unrealistic situations they found themselves in outside of the home.

Lip is an idiot. Can't wait for the eventual blow up next season where the school finds out about all the shit with his professor. But knowing the writers, he's gonna get a win and everything will work out and he'll get bailed out and find some other hot woman willing to bang him with no emotional fallout on his end. And then he'll cruise through another year of his free ride at college while his family continues to fall apart.

Yeah, I'm mad.......

Lip is an idiot. Can't wait for the eventual blow up next season where the school finds out about all the shit with his professor. But knowing the writers, he's gonna get a win and everything will work out and he'll get bailed out and find some other hot woman willing to bang him with no emotional fallout on his end. And then he'll cruise through another year of his free ride at college while his family continues to fall apart.

Yeah, I'm mad.......
Lip is the personification of the American dream. Someone with enough smarts, willing to do the work, get the right luck at the right time... can get out of the poor house.

It's been heavy handed at times but what they're doing is less about Lip as a character and more about Lip as a symbol.

One could argue he's the anti-Frank. Frank isn't dumb. He plays the system. But luck has always been against him and he's made shitty decisions and he's unwilling to do the work.

I am not sure how I felt about this season. I liked what they did with Fiona and Frank for the most part, though Fiona's part dragged a bit and Franks took too long and kind of went the only way it could have.

Kev and V were great, but not as good as usual for me. Debbie and Ian became the worst thing on the show somehow when Ian used to be part of the best thing about the show in Mickey and him. Mickey is still great and I hope we see more of where he goes from here. I think that could be really great.

Lip was fine but ultimately also went nowhere.

This season just felt like it went nowhere. I dunno...

Fake edit: If they get rid of Mickey they are stupid.

Real edit: Fuck Sammy, Fuck Debbie

I wasn't a biggest fan of season 4 or 5. My biggest complaint, for some reason they focused on drama much more. Shameless is 70% black comedy, 30% drama. But the last two seasons felt like the opposite.
And of course there were no Steve, which is a shame. I love Steve.
But the last episodes of season 5 were pretty close to classic Shameless, and they were the ones i liked the most.
WHAT? Haha. This scene is what makes Shameless this good. This scene was just perfect. We need more scenes like this. This was classic Shameless, that we saw in first 3 seasons.

I wasn't a biggest fan of season 4 or 5. My biggest complaint, for some reason they focused on drama much more. Shameless is 70% black comedy, 30% drama. But the last two seasons felt like the opposite.
And of course there were no Steve, which is a shame. I love Steve.
But the last episodes of season 5 were pretty close to classic Shameless, and they were the ones i liked the most.

WHAT? Haha. This scene is what makes Shameless this good. This scene was just perfect. We need more scenes like this. This was classic Shameless, that we saw in first 3 seasons.

I'm fine with the drama if it keeps it to certain people. Frank needs to be in the comedy category, Lip needs to be in the drama side, Carl needs to be all laughs all the time, Kev and V should never be anything short of hilariously amazing, and Debbie should fall down a steep concrete stairwell.

Keep the drama to Lip and Fiona basically. Everyone else should pretty much be dark comedy. We need more instances of Frank walking under Lips pee after fucking Karen and causing her dad to kill himself, when he sees the sextape, by jumping into a frozen lake hugging a cinderblock.

T.O.P

Banned
Ok so...that was a weird finale, i love Shameless, but you can work on the same formula only that many times...

Lip idgaf anymore

Sammi can get fucked

Fiona has become a joke character, how can anyone get surprised by her idiotic choices anymore

Debbie got ruined, nice job authors

V and Kev had a fun arc this season tbh

If Mickey gets off the show i'm out as well

Revolver

This season was kind of so-so to me. There were some great episodes, but overall, it felt like the show was just spinning it's wheels. If they're losing a bunch of the actors they should probably think about wrapping the series up. But it's Showtime so it'll probably go a few more seasons until its fanbase starts to hate it.

gabbo

I like how Frank and Carl's story arcs ended up - basically everyone else simply hit a brick wall in the last 20 minutes - except Fiona who is basically where she was when Steve came in; bad with men, barely holding the family together.

Seriously, Lip and Ian's endings were terrible - Breaking up with Amanda for a teacher who will drop him by episode two or three of season six, and.. jesus, leaving Mickey... fuck you writers. Running from psychotic Sammi was a nice touch though.
Debbie just needs to have the kid and move in with that family (not going to happen) and leave the show. Terrible storyline.

I like how Frank and Carl's story arcs ended up - basically everyone else simply hit a brick wall in the last 20 minutes - except Fiona who is basically where she was when Steve came in; bad with men, barely holding the family together.

Seriously, Lip and Ian's endings were terrible - Breaking up with Amanda for a teacher who will drop him by episode two or three of season six, and.. jesus, leaving Mickey... fuck you writers. Running from psychotic Sammi was a nice touch though.
Debbie just needs to have the kid and move in with that family (not going to happen) and leave the show. Terrible storyline.

But Lip and Ian are what 17-20? They are suppose to be dumb when it comes to life decision, I saw it rather realistic. Debbie annoying as hell too but I can understand because of her age and how she grew up (never really having a true parent). I still can't stand her but I can understand what the writers were thinking.

Fiona... ugh. I get it she's young.. early 20's make a lot of dumb choice I totally see that, but at the same time she's been taking care of the kids since she was like what 12? So really she should be older than her age, and when she made the decision to become a legal guardian I kind of expected her to understand she's giving up her life for theirs. Remember what the judge told her? (the whole line about how his kid is the same age but she's on spring break living it up in college and Fiona can't do things like that if she going to become their legal guardian).

gabbo

But Lip and Ian are what 17-20? They are suppose to be dumb when it comes to life decision, I saw it rather realistic. Debbie annoying as hell too but I can understand because of her age and how she grew up (never really having a true parent). I still can't stand her but I can understand what the writers were thinking.

Fiona... ugh. I get it she's young.. early 20's make a lot of dumb choice I totally see that, but at the same time she's been taking care of the kids since she was like what 12? So really she should be older than her age, and when she made the decision to become a legal guardian I kind of expected her to understand she's giving up her life for theirs. Remember what the judge told her? (the whole line about how his kid is the same age but she's on spring break living it up in college and Fiona can't do things like that if she going to become their legal guardian).

Ian, maybe I can see, because he swings from mood to mood with little notice, but Lip basically spent all season growing out of that kind of thing (aka everything Mandy wanted for him), only to throw it away in two episodes because he thinks his girlfriend is clingy and Sasha Alexander is ridiculously hot.

gabbo

It looks like the actor that plays Mickey is leaving the show. What are the writers supposed to do? Leave them together and just never show Mickey again?

I don't follow the show beyond talking about it on GAF and watching the episodes, so I didn't know that. That makes sense, it just... sucks because they were excellent together and Mickey's actor was basically knocking it out of the park nonstop every week this season.

Wow so...I just found out that episode 12 was the season finale.

Definitely didn't feel like it to me.

I thought the season started off kinda strong but kinda pittered out towards the end. Outside of Franks storyline with the doctor, I wasn't as engaged as I usually am.

Aiii

So not worth it
5UpHaeR.jpg

Season 6 promo poster looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom