• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shameless Season 7 |OT| Screwed in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

abundant

What an amazing finale. Once again this show begs the question, WHY THE FUCK ARENT MORE PEOPLE WATCHING THIS.

Well, it is a Showtime show on it's seventh season. Most people that post on GAF have the mindset that anything on Showtime is only good up to its second or third season, then it is down hill from there. Not that I blame them though, Shameless is the only thing I watched on Showtime that continued to be good in its later seasons.

They definitely filmed this as a series finale. And then the mid-credits scene for if they knew another season was coming.

Lots of great scenes in the episode but for me the most powerful one was when Frank was sitting out in the cold saying "Enough... Please" while Fiona was berating Monica.

dickroach

Really good episode, especially after last week's "next week on Shameless" preview made it seem like a Frank's going to get into some wacky hijinx! bullshit episode. they really gotta stop trying to push Shameless as a comedy.

but yeah, that would've been a fine series finale.

so what's on the table for next year?
Fiona inevitably gets screwed over on that building.
V and Kevin try to get the bar back.
Lip tries to get his shit together, again.
Ian keeps doing his EMT stuff, I guess....
uh...
none of the other characters storylines have anywhere interesting to go. :\

Excellent finale. Emmy Rossum continues to deliver some incredible performances. Really loved the montage. Also really hoping that things are turning around for the Gallaghers ... but I know that's not what this show is about.

jrush64

Banned
Damn, such an amazing finale. This has been a great season no doubt. Even Debbie was great this season. Once again, i can't stress enough the best parts of this show are when the family are just hanging together.

Revolver

Lots of great scenes in the episode but for me the most powerful one was when Frank was sitting out in the cold saying "Enough... Please" while Fiona was berating Monica.

Loved that scene too. For a moment Frank seemed like an actual human being instead of an irredeemable shithead. I like to see less of Frank's awful behavior played for laughs and more of his humanity.

Pretty good finale and actually a kind of touching sendoff for Monica. I guess next season Fiona will screw up the building and have to dig up the meth for money or Frank will find out about it and have a wacky adventure at the cemetery or something.

Too bad it looks like there's no going back with the throuple. I liked Kev, V and Svetlana together.

gabbo

Oh god damn, Frank at the funeral. That's the most real he's been in seasons. Like touchingly real. I really hope the obvious signs of where things go (Fiona can't do the building, Lip fucks up just as he's on the verge of getting out of the south side, Ian can't keep a relationship, Debbie is annoying, Carl is awesome at whatever he ends up doing...etc) is not where they're headed. Hell, this probably should be the ending for the show, as much as I love it (and Liam was just starting to get involved too).

The show really is my favourite drama on tv, so I hope they don't spin their wheels for a final season (assuming there isn't a.9th in late 2017/2018) and finally get everyone to where they're going. Gallaghers and Kev/V.

big ander

Caught up on the last 3. Fantastic finale, and overall the best season of the show since 4 or so. As heartbreaking as Frank's funeral speech was, I got more broken up at the wordless speeches from the rest of the Gallagher clan and the little we heard of Fi's.

Was fine that the Kev/Vee stuff listed in the description was absent. That can be pushed a year, and would've felt out of place in this episode.

I hope the meth doesn't weigh too much on next season, we don't really need another plot where a Gallagher goes to jail or anything. And I want Trevor to come back, they've made a great character out of him. I get everybody's about Gallavich but I don't think there's a way to ever make it make sense and the send-off for Mickey was fitting. Plus assuming the show goes for 1, 2 more seasons max, it's time to be putting the kids in their final relationships for the series. Trevor works for that, as does Sierra. She's smart and level-headed but a South Sider, so there's space for Lip to break out and take his life somewhere without losing his roots.

Debbie being into welding is...I mean sure. They turned her from "insufferable" to "alright" this season. Good. Fine.

Revolver

Something that was mentioned that I don't remember being touched on in the past was that Frank was in college and involved in internships before he met Monica. Sounds just like Lip. Monica really wrecked Frank's life too from the sound of it but he couldn't help getting pulled into her orbit. This episode served as a reminder how good Macy's dramatic acting can be when he's got something to work with.

I really feel like Fiona is getting swindled on that building. Everything about it just seems off and Fiona has a terrible track record judging men. Also the way she was willing to jump back into huge debt after finally getting above water seems dumb to me.

I didn't really like Grandpa Bill swooping in and being so judgemental. I get his issues with Frank but how about showing up years ago when his grandkids could use some help.

Jeels

Man she couldn't make a laundrymat profitable how is she going to do with a building...

I guess you have to take risks to get rich though.

Probably my favorite season since the show started (including maybe even any of the UK seasons).

gabbo

Man she couldn't make a laundrymat profitable how is she going to do with a building...

I guess you have to take risks to get rich though.

Probably my favorite season since the show started (including maybe even any of the UK seasons).

Admittedly she had only owned that laundromat for like 3 weeks, so expecting it to boom like crazy is stupid on our part, even she realized that when talking with Debbie. She had in about 6 months to a years time turned the diner around however.

big ander

Plus didn't that guy say this building will technically profit right away, just a very little amount and she'll have to sink money into it to turn a bigger one/flip it. It's overall a riskier proposition than Wendell's but at least in the short term it'll be netting her more than $10 a day

Something that was mentioned that I don't remember being touched on in the past was that Frank was in college and involved in internships before he met Monica. Sounds just like Lip. Monica really wrecked Frank's life too from the sound of it but he couldn't help getting pulled into her orbit. This episode served as a reminder how good Macy's dramatic acting can be when he's got something to work with.

I really feel like Fiona is getting swindled on that building. Everything about it just seems off and Fiona has a terrible track record judging men. Also the way she was willing to jump back into huge debt after finally getting above water seems dumb to me.

I didn't really like Grandpa Bill swooping in and being so judgemental. I get his issues with Frank but how about showing up years ago when his grandkids could use some help.

I haven't re watched the previous seasons after their initial run, but I thought I remember that Monica's came from a well off family and that it was Frank that was to blame for her becoming a drunk and drug addict? I remember Frank having a drug dealer mother(Nurse Ratched)that hinted at possible child abuse from her.

gabbo

We're also taking Frank at his word in either case, which would not be something we do under any other circumstances. It may not be a retcon so much as one story is true, and the other a fabrication. It's just ambiguous which is which. Or both are fake because Frank is a habitual liar.

We're also taking Frank at his word in either case, which would not be something we do under any other circumstances. It may not be a retcon so much as one story is true, and the other a fabrication. It's just ambiguous which is which. Or both are fake because Frank is a habitual liar.

Early this season, Lip did say something about how "his dad could have gone to college". This was at his appeal for college reinstatement. Sounds like the writers did have that in mind.

big ander

I mean I think as the show's gone on it's shown that Frank didn't corrupt Monica and Monica didn't corrupt Frank. (Sure, gp Bill said so. he's not exactly trustworthy, given his apparent lifelong inability to accept Monica's mental illness and detachment from his offspring.) they just enabled each other. yeah Monica was moneyed but Frank didn't cause her to be a wild child running the streets naked jumping into random car windows, or cause her to be a bipolar family-abandoning and -endangering addict. And Monica didn't cause Frank to be a selfish impulsive alcoholic and grifter. They both just were.

As for the college stuff, seemed a kinda silly retcon to me done only to deepen the parallels between Frank and Lip, which is unnecessary cause they've already been underlined bolded and italicized so who cares. and I dunno that it outright contradicts what we know of Frank's backstory. In any case that Frank stopped college wasn't Monica's fault. They were both perfectly terrible for each other.

Revolver

I haven't re watched the previous seasons after their initial run, but I thought I remember that Monica's came from a well off family and that it was Frank that was to blame for her becoming a drunk and drug addict? I remember Frank having a drug dealer mother(Nurse Ratched)that hinted at possible child abuse from her.

I should go back and rewatch the old episodes some day. I haven't seen them since they aired either. I always thought it was Frank that was already a mess when he met Monica too, but this episode made it sound like he had it together and she pulled him down. I remember Frank's mom being awful and it was implied she was to blame. Both Frank and Monica were really broken people though and fed into each other's worst tendencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom