• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shkreli lawyer: "at least he's not Kathy Griffin"

Steejee

To clarify, the AIDS drug scam was legal and Shkreli wasn't prosecuted for being an arsehole. The crime of which he's been convicted is securities fraud, because he's a criminal arsehole.

No, but I hate him a lot more for the AIDS drug thing than the securities fraud. After all, if he hadn't committed the fraud they might not have anything to toss him in jail for =)

I'll never understand people like Shkreli.

There was a point he could of walked away with a lot of money without seeing any prison, right?

He could of just left the Internet stop trying to get in the media stop trying to be some kind of player and sat on a beach getting indefinite massage therapy whilst huffing some weed at the same time. Forever.

My question is how do people like him reach such status in life, unless born into it?

Monocle

Kathy Griffin had a good reason and a good message for her stunt. Any thinking person knows it was not a threat of violence. Shkreli is a chaotic evil troll who, in a bizarre twist of fate, acquired enough real life power and influence to profit massively off of other people's suffering.

The two are in no way comparable. It's blindingly obvious that Griffin is a brash and divisive comedian with a harmless (if arguably obnoxious) schtick while Shkreli is a professional asshole and genuinely awful human being.

-see Donald Trump for reference.

I think Donald is different. He's a 70 year old man who yes trolls on twitter, but legitimately turned a 1 million dollar loan into a multi-billion dollar business. I think he got rich based on ether legit or semi legit factors. And his father was already a multi-millionaire when Trump was getting into business.

My question essentially was, how do phamacuetical executives go on to become multi-millionaires?

jstripes

Banned
I think Donald is different. He's a 70 year old man who yes trolls on twitter, but legitimately turned a 1 million dollar loan into a multi-billion dollar business. I think he got rich based on ether legit or semi legit factors. And his father was already a multi-millionaire when Trump was getting into business.

Trump started with training wheels, and always had people to catch him along the way each of the many times he fell.

He’s infinitely worse than Kathy Griffin could ever be. In addition to being the world’s biggest douchebag, he has also caused material harm to people’s life.

Beartruck

There was a point he could of walked away with a lot of money without seeing any prison, right?

He could of just left the Internet stop trying to get in the media stop trying to be some kind of player and sat on a beach getting indefinite massage therapy whilst huffing some weed at the same time. Forever.
If you're sociopathic enough to massively raise the price of lifesaving meds, its not like you're going to change your behavior and stop pissing people off.

finley83

Banned

uFKgEIj.jpg

BlastCore

Banned

They say that Businessmen and Serial Killers have the same personality traits. I guess we should be thankful he's a douche online instead of skinning women into a new suit.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Yeah he may be an opportunistic asshole who wanted to fuck thousands over to make a quick buck

BUT AT LEAST he didn't hold a fake chopped off Donald Trump head.

I like this lawyer. Keep talking like that and that shithead will be sent up for that 20.

Don't get your hopes up. The offences he's been convicted of are on the low end of the range because his investors still made a massive profit. I wouldn't be surprised if, come December, he got off with twelve months less time served and only spent a few weeks in a cosy white collar prison. The scumbag.

Jacob

I'm sure the Wu Tang Clan fans of Brooklyn federal prison will have kind words for Martin.

The issue has already come up during jury selection.

https://harpers.org/archive/2017/09/public-enemy/

THE COURT: All right. I’m going to excuse you. Juror Number 59, come on up.

JUROR NO. 59: Your Honor, totally he is guilty and in no way can I let him slide out of anything because —

THE COURT: Okay. Is that your attitude toward anyone charged with a crime who has not been proven guilty?

JUROR NO. 59: It’s my attitude toward his entire demeanor, what he has done to people.

THE COURT: All right. We are going to excuse you, sir.

JUROR NO. 59: And he disrespected the Wu-Tang Clan.

Top Bottom