• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PLAYSTATION 3 "OFFICIALLY" (finally) Announced! Landing on US stores now!

Koren

jay said:
Did the software BC make use of extra chips added to the PS3 explicitly for BC? Obviously the point of software emulation was to remove the need for the emotion engine but was there an extra graphics chip or whatever still necessary?
The "software" emulation still use the PS2 graphic chip, Graphic Synthesizer.

It's the hardest part to emulate, by far.

Meus Renaissance said:
Anyone else feel the fat SKU's look much better?

Like, half the thread so far.

As much as I like the old design better, the smaller size is the selling point to me.

My 360 is already way too big as it is. And I have two of them :/

jax (old)

Banned
OMFG. certainly didn't expect this. Been reading OT more than the game forum. Looks like they have a winner with that pricepoint. :)

go sony

Dandy

Looks so much better than the OG PS3, that shit is ugly.
My PS3 has been dead for a long time now, so I guess I'll get one of these around Christmas/New Year deal season.

Busty said:
Go Google Atari Jaguar and then come back and see me.

And if you are still feeling frisky after that heave inducing image hunt try looking for the Jaguar's CD add on.

You'll be singing a different tune soon enough.

The Jaguar came out in 1993, this comes out next month.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
With the rebranding I guess that means we'll see new boxart. All those boxarts for fall/winter games were just a feint?

I wonder how quickly they'll turn around on this, in terms of instore materials etc.

YagizY

As a current PS3 owner I cannot really get excited about this. Disappointing that the slim doesn't have software BC but kind of expected that.

I'll hold onto my 80gb PS3 with software BC for now. I actually like the shiny-ness of the old PS3 because it matched better with the Bravia (which had the same finish).

Space has never been an issue for me and I'm a college student so I don't get all the 'slim' hub-bub.

Crisis

Banned
When they talk about PlayStation 3 rebranding and all I think this box is an indicator of that. I saw it last night or so and that press release makes perfect sense now.

B002K8Q93C.01._SX581_SCLZZZZZZZ_V233873371_.jpg

gregor7777 said:
Not sure what you're getting at. Why did they laugh at you bringing up linux on the PS3?

It wasn't useful enough for anyone who actually tried it to make use of it. The gimped RAM really held it back.

If solid apps were specifically built for it, it might have faired a bit better. It's a shame really. I was really behind the idea.

To be fair...
Its not Sony's job to port stuff to the Cell. That's up to us as devs.

Frankly, it was a nice feature that let several Universities experiment with supercomputing power on the cheap and the results have been very positive in the scientific community.

Also, I liked this quite a bit. I don't think it was in Sony's interest to make a cost subsidized Linux computer to fight with Microsoft Windows and Apple Computer by adding in extra ram for non-gaming purposes.

Further, the OTHER OS feature removed one big thing which saved time so Linux hackers didn't have to waste their time HACKING the machine.

I am sad the feature is being removed.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Aladuf said:
If I'm able to pop out the 320GB HDD on my PS3 right now and put it right into a Slim and be good to go, then I'll be getting the Slim on day one. I've always thought the current design looked great but the Slim looks a whole lot better to me.
HDD's are locked to their system. You'll have to backup the drive, format it, and then restore the data when you plug it in the slim. You might lose some data (copy protected stuff).

I keep bouncing between the positives, being that I love the new shape, smaller size, and lack of spiderman font (which annoyed me much more than it should have done...but I *HATED* that look.)

But the negatives on those high res shots:- my god, the plastics....and they're the shots with perfect lighting to make it look good :lol Got that cheap mould lip on the front as well....

Anth0ny

I now have a tough decision to make.

I don't really like the look of the Slim. It looks cheap to me, especially compared to the phat. I would be losing out on 40 GB but getting a phat, but the HDD is easy to replace from what I've heard.

Now, the biggest problem. My PS2's laser is broken. They didn't announce BC in any way, which hurts my heart. Do I try and find a 60 GB at this point, or should I just get a $300 PS3 and a $100 PS2?

Ugh, my head hurts.

Koren

Halvie said:
I am guessing that is max. I searched for the ps3 power consumption and it seems right not to be around 180-200. If it actually is decreased I don't see how it would get anywhere close to 250w.
My 20GB is designed with a 380W power supply (that's what is written on the console). Consumption is 170-200W.

I guess that 250W power supply mean ~130W consumption. Given that the efficiency is higher (and thus heat produced minimum) around 50%, they probably oversize the power supply by a factor of 1.5-2.

Man, this thing must run REALLY REALLY cool if the only vents are around the bottom lip of the grill lid.
edit: nm, finally got the shot of the back to load.

Order of purchases for 2010:

1st HDTV
New HTPC
Inevitable PS3 Slim + God of War III bundle

Meus Renaissance said:
Anyone else feel the fat SKU's look much better?

*raises hand*

I still prefer the old PS3 look. I remember seeing it in person for the first time @ Best Buy and I fell in love with its bulky look and glossy finish :D

All the talk of how trading in their old PS3's for the new one or how Slim looks sexy, only to reverse those comments and flame the new look :lol

Oh GAF never change =p

deepbrown

cyberheater said:
Actually seeing them side to side like that. I think I prefer the look of the fat one. It somehow looks more classy.
Yes, but the phat cost $800 to make (originally). The Slim surely costs around $250. Of course the PS3 Slim is going to look a bit cheaper.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BulletSmoke said:
So they're phasing out all the phats right? Come this fall there will be only one model available?

Correct. There'll only be one when they run out of fats at least.

LiquidJin

Banned
YagizY said:
As a current PS3 owner I cannot really get excited about this. Disappointing that the slim doesn't have software BC but kind of expected that.

I'll hold onto my 80gb PS3 with software BC for now. I actually like the shiny-ness of the old PS3 because it matched better with the Bravia (which had the same finish).

Yea, I like the look of the old model better. But I'm glad that the masses that don't appreciate the quality can get their hands on the insides now.

Umm, on another note, SONY you just unsold me on a $249 PSP Go. No way am I going to pay only $50 less than the cost of the console with the most value on the market. Hope, you guys got some $249 bundles because I can't even see $199 being legit anymore.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Anth0ny said:

I don't really like the look of the Slim. It looks cheap to me, especially compared to the phat. I would be losing out on 40 GB but getting a phat, but the HDD is easy to replace from what I've heard.

Now, the biggest problem. My PS2's laser is broken. They didn't announce BC in any way, which hurts my heart. Do I try and find a 60 GB at this point, or should I just get a $300 PS3 and a $100 PS2?

Ugh, my head hurts.

Try and find a 60Gb model. Although not perfect, the BC is pretty good.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
mike0513 said:
It looks really ugly, but then again it is only 300 dollars. A blue ray player costs at the very least 200-250 dollars, not a bad deal. Then again, that is one ugly motha
Are you people for real??

I mean, seriously??

StuBurns

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
but can you move them to a different console? sure you can back them up but they are still console locked
Very few are console locked, Burnout is one of them, but the vast majority aren't.

YagizY

Anth0ny said:

Ugh, my head hurts.

Save yourself time and money and try to find a new 80gb one with software BC.

Seriously, I don't understand why everyone gets such a hard-on about the hardware BC. I have about 100 PS2 games and not ONE has given me any problems on my PS3 with software BC.

The Motorstorm and MGS4 bundles are software BC PS3's.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Halvie said:
I am guessing that is max. I searched for the ps3 power consumption and it seems right not to be around 180-200. If it actually is decreased I don't see how it would get anywhere close to 250w.

I remember reading power numbers somewhere along these line for the PS3 (not exact)

90nm CPU/90nm GPU PS3 - 200 watts
65nm CPU/90nm GPU PS3 - 142 watts
65nm CPU/65nm GPU PS3 - 105 watts

The PS3 slim consumes less, so do the math.

clav

onken said:
Wow, internal power supply, awesome. I wonder if it's universal this time.
No, that's design fail. If you blow a fuse, you'll have to send it to Sony unless you are comfortable opening it up and replacing it yourself.

The original Xbox had this problem.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DoctorWho said:
So can we switch out the HDD on the slim?

Looks at pics - I guess not.

Look at the front right where the logos are. That bit looks to open up...probably where your HDD is.

Koren

deepbrown said:
Yes, but the phat cost $800 to make (originally).
This estimation has never been serious, IMO. Most prices for components were street ones (when Sony can get them far cheaper, especially when they order several millions of them), and even pricey components such as Blu-ray optical bloc was estimated at three time the price you could find it at as spare part (new).

Top Bottom