• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Slim PLAYSTATION 3 "OFFICIALLY" (finally) Announced! Landing on US stores now!

lupinko

Onix said:
yes there is

Wow stereo, well I'll get as much mileage out of this post then.

Digital-Hero said:
He is right. The first guy asked: "Is the slim PS3 a regionfree blu-ray player?" There is no such thing was the correct response. There are multi region bluray players but there isn't any region free PS3 bluray players. ;)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
spwolf said:
i think people keep touching slim to decide if it is hot or not :lol

i do hope that those people never buy plasma tv or laptop :D

Even my LCD puts out enough heat to warm a small bedroom in winter, seriously. My Slim gets hot, but not scalding like the 60 gig. It is however far too noisy and hot to close the entertainment center door. It ramps up to "OK, that's too loud" unless it's 100% vented. I think it's weird that my Receiver is basically ice cold by comparison, even with a prodigiously larger power supply and amp - which is why I think the future of consoles is zero moving parts.

SonComet

bozeman said:
Am I missing something or is there really no way to get demos for PSN games like Fat Princess or Wipeout?
Well I've never tried to get a demo for fat princess, but wipeout is certainly available as a demo.

Raistlin

Digital-Hero said:
Read Post 7212, because there isn't a PS3 region free Blu-ray player like the original guy asked.

People need to read seriously.

wah ... cry some more. I hadn't made it to that post yet.

jeez

Onix said:
So, does anyone have any more info regarding the gimping of all/no region titles on PS3?

yes there is

What, they wouldnt change region codeing this late in the game theres no point. Ill be pissed if my copy of demon souls doesnt work on tuesday.

Raistlin

supermackem said:
What, they wouldnt change region codeing this late in the game theres no point. Ill be pissed if my copy of demon souls doesnt work on tuesday.

Supposedly a recent firmware broke compatibility with no-region discs.

I noticed that the LG tv with HDMI-CEC will turn on and tune to the right input when the PS3 slim is powered on. Although the slim isn't recognized as a LG "SimpLink" device.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
shouamabane said:
I noticed that the LG tv with HDMI-CEC will turn on and tune to the right input when the PS3 slim is powered on. Although the slim isn't recognized as a LG "SimpLink" device.

That's nice. I wonder if they can update the firmware so that only pressing the PS button on the BR remote powers it on, instead of any accidental button press. Cat and baby have already turned it on twice today, thanks to no back power switch.

onken

lupinko said:
Yeah, but even with that, those players aren't region free either since they aren't compatible with region C. Not that B or C matter to me, but still it's the principle of being region free.

*high fives*

Regardless of you and your little chum's semantics, your answer was misleading and implied that you can't get multiregion BD players, when you can.

nubbe said:
Is there a proper HDMI 1.3 implantation in this one that can pass every audio format in bitstream?

It is well known already that it can bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA rather than decoding these formats to PCM like previous models did.

mercenar1e said:
My PS3 slim turns on my Samsung LCD TV on but it doesn't turn it off when i power the slim down?? any ideas?

There's this thing called on / off button in your remote. It's usually red, distinctive shape and may be found in an upper corner. Use it.

Zzoram

bozeman said:
Am I missing something or is there really no way to get demos for PSN games like Fat Princess or Wipeout?

One of the many things that I find especially lacking since I have an Xbox 360 is the fact that not all PSN games have demos. There is no way I'd buy a game without a demo unless I was already completely sold on the idea beforehand.

noah111

Still Alive
Zzoram said:
One of the many things that I find especially lacking since I have an Xbox 360 is the fact that not all PSN games have demos. There is no way I'd buy a game without a demo unless I was already completely sold on the idea beforehand.
I always found this kind of odd tbh, as if games have always had demos... not all games can have a demo, for various reasons. For one, it just might not suit the style of the game, simply wouldn't do the game justice due to how little they might be able to show/demonstrate.. another reason, which is probably the primary one for why a lot of PSN games don't have demos, is because the devs are too small to be able to pump out a demo, or don't have the time/money/man power to do so... I buy retail games that I have never played before all the time, why should I not pick up a title that looks good when it only costs 10 bucks or so?

Zzoram

Sentry said:
I always found this kind of odd tbh, as if games have always had demos... not all games can have a demo, for various reasons. For one, it just might not suit the style of the game, simply wouldn't do the game justice due to how little they might be able to show/demonstrate.. another reason, which is probably the primary one for why a lot of PSN games don't have demos, is because the devs are too small to be able to pump out a demo, or don't have the time/money/man power to do so... I buy retail games that I have never played before all the time, why should I not pick up a title that looks good when it only costs 10 bucks or so?

The issue is unless I know for sure I'll like the game, I won't risk my money. I have bought many games due to GAF-hype only to find they are not for me, even if they are technically well made games.

noah111

Still Alive
Zzoram said:
The issue is unless I know for sure I'll like the game, I won't risk my money. I have bought many games due to GAF-hype only to find they are not for me, even if they are technically well made games.
But have you never bought a retail game for example, that didn't have a demo/you didn't play before purchase? I honestly wouldn't use GAF as a measure as to where your money should be spent, nothing on gaf is fairly hyped, it's either a thousand miles above the true hype line, or a thousand miles below it. I'd simply watch videos, read reviews from all around.. if you do that you will probably rarely find your self saying 'damn why did i buy this game'.

pswii60

Sentry said:
Your entire theory is flawed because *EVERY* XBLA game has a demo. And demos are good for consumers.

Personally while I understand that not every game is perfectly suited to a demo, it does annoy me when games like Super Smash Cars don't have one. I'm quite interested in it but there's no fucking way I'm dropping £11.99 on it without trying it first.

Zzoram

Sentry said:
But have you never bought a retail game for example, that didn't have a demo/you didn't play before purchase? I honestly wouldn't use GAF as a measure as to where your money should be spent, nothing on gaf is fairly hyped, it's either a thousand miles above the true hype line, or a thousand miles below it. I'd simply watch videos, read reviews from all around.. if you do that you will probably rarely find your self saying 'damn why did i buy this game'.

Retail games can be resold, download games cannot.

The only times I buy games without a demo is if I've played it at a friend's, get a really strong recommendation from a friend, or have played previous games from the developer.

Rainy Dog

xyla said:
Wait, the PS3 can´t play region free blurays? I was about to get the Watchmen DC from the US as my first non europe bluray. It won´t work?

You'll be fine with region-free US Blu-Rays on a UK/Euro PS3. It's only visa versa on US PS3's when region-free UK/Euro Blu-Rays which have PAL/50hz menu's/intro screens.

noah111

Still Alive
pswii60 said:
Your entire theory is flawed because *EVERY* XBLA game has a demo. And demos are good for consumers.

Personally while I understand that not every game is perfectly suited to a demo, it does annoy me when games like Super Smash Cars don't have one. I'm quite interested in it but there's no fucking way I'm dropping £11.99 on it without trying it first.
How is my "theory" flawed simply because every XBLA game has a demo? You know that's a paid for service, right? Obviously MS will give smaller devs the push to make a demo, since it's mandatory and all..

DoomGyver

Well, at first I thought I'd keep my 60gb but now I'm thinking about getting a slim.

If anyone wants a launch 60gb let me know, it's in great shape. (not refurbished)

Price $325 + shipping (paypal)

Kweh

I still can't decide if I want to make the change.

I have a 250GB (upgraded 40GB) PS3 and was thinking about selling it as a 250GB machine for a Slim for a few reasons :-

a) Obviously I'd get more money for a 250GB machine than a 40GB machine, so the cost to upgrade will be considerably less but I'd be cutting my hard drive space in half, which goes on to my next point.
b) I still have about 150GB left spare, so I could quite easily survive on a 120GB machine for now.
c) Are 'phat' models going to just get harder to sell as time goes by?.
d) 'New toy' syndrome - The PS3 is being rebranded. The Spider-man font is going, it might seem crazy to some, but my PS3 still having that font will kind of irk me.

H_Prestige said:
Agreed.

sony_ps3_comparison.jpg

agreed!

jsnepo

AgentOtaku said:

Same here. I really love the look of the 20GB. I don't care about wifi. I hated the chrome. Never used the memory card slots of my 60GB. HDD can easily be upgraded. A friend of mine has one. He torments me all the time.

Also, slim has red blinking light as well. I'm not sure if this has been posted already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjqdU6JD2TE

This time no yellow light since there's no yellow light in the fat PS3s anyway. It's just that the red and green lights overlap each other for a split second so a yellow light comes out.

DR2K

Banned
They're on sale at Walmart now. Just saw them. So tempted. But if I can't transfer my SFIV save then no way.

Zutroy

jsnepo said:
Same here. I really love the look of the 20GB. I don't care about wifi. I hated the chrome. Never used the memory card slots of my 60GB. HDD can easily be upgraded. A friend of mine has one. He torments me all the time.

Also, slim has red blinking light as well. I'm not sure if this has been posted already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjqdU6JD2TE

This time no yellow light since there's no yellow light in the fat PS3s anyway. It's just that the red and green lights overlap each other for a split second so a yellow light comes out.

Dude needs to cut his nails.

Jostifer

Just got Batman Arkham today. Should I start play it on my old system today or should I wait (locked save file?) until I get my Slim tomorrow?

Sirolf

Jostifer said:
Just got Batman Arkham today. Should I start play it on my old system today or should I wait (locked save file?) until I get my Slim tomorrow?

You can play it now , it's not locked.

deleted

Rainy Dog said:
You'll be fine with region-free US Blu-Rays on a UK/Euro PS3. It's only visa versa on US PS3's when region-free UK/Euro Blu-Rays which have PAL/50hz menu's/intro screens.

Ok, I think I´ll give it a try then. I will update on this, when the bluray arrives.

Loudninja said:
That's one of those rent-to-own or whatever places. They sell all kinds of goods probably, all at ridiculously inflated prices in exchange for offering low* monthly payment plans.

They tend to prey on low-income folks who manage their money poorly and can't get a credit card (though buying things on a credit card often turns out to be more expensive than most people actually realize anyway).

* lol you could buy a PS3 with just six of these payments

nib95

Banned
jett said:
What is this fucking bullshieeeeeet!? Why can't the phat take advatange of 7200RPM drives too? :/

Huh? What is this you speak of. My phat has a 320GB 16mb 7200rpm Scorpio and I'm pretty sure it's taking advntage of it.

Top Bottom