• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U/3DS: 3 Character Slots & 3 Stage Slots Found in Recent Patch Data (1.1.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gleethor

I'd bet Wolf because he was likely intended for release alongside Star Fox. Other two, who knows. If Roy and Ryu hadn't leaked, them releasing alongside Lucas would have been a real head scratcher.

I don't think the game is getting major DLC past this set unless it's really, really successful. Mario Kart sold better and they ended it right at the year mark. Sakurai seems really eager to be done and out, I am sure Namco wants to free up its staff. This seems like it will be a mid-November release (i.e. right around when Star Fox was going to come out originally) and then see you in Smash 5 with inklings and Alma and whoever else.

Did MK8 outsell both versions of smash combined?

please let one of them atleast be wonder red, with blue, green, and pink appearing as part of reds move set. TEAM UNITE UP!

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I still believe that people are underestimating one veteran's chance.

I'd bet Wolf because he was likely intended for release alongside Star Fox. Other two, who knows. If Roy and Ryu hadn't leaked, them releasing alongside Lucas would have been a real head scratcher.

I don't think the game is getting major DLC past this set unless it's really, really successful. Mario Kart sold better and they ended it right at the year mark. Sakurai seems really eager to be done and out, I am sure Namco wants to free up its staff. This seems like it will be a mid-November release (i.e. right around when Star Fox was going to come out originally) and then see you in Smash 5 with inklings and Alma and whoever else.

Of course, Wolf is most safe guess out of all veterans. But who is Alma? Do you meant Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X? I really hope that Splatoon (Inkling) would get in as DLC because I really want to play as them soon as possible. Haha, but I doubt it tho.

Illucio

Banned
My input on the other "popular" picks:

Bandana Dee - Dumb. Literally grasping at straws for another Kirby character...it'd be like putting in a Goomba.

King K Rool - Not the best character around, but sure why not.

Dixie Kong - I feel like a third Kong would be less interesting than K Rool, but I'd still welcome her.

Chibi Robo - I think some cool things could be done with the plug. A whip style moveset still hasn't been fully mined, despite Zero Suit Samus.

Isaac - Golden Sun is unfortunately a dead franchise but psynergy could lead to a really fantastic moveset. I'd love this choice. Hopefully he's more on the side of Robin though rather than Marth. We have a few too many straight swordsmen.

Krystal - A spear character would be an interesting addition...but no thanks. They're retconing her out of Star Fox with the new game anyways so it's pretty unlikely.

Paper Mario - Absolutely not. Paper Mario is cool and all but we already have multiple Marios. We don't need more.

Inklings - Almost seems like a no-brainer. Only reason they wouldn't happen is if they "save" them for the next Smash...but I don't see the real point in doing that. They're Nintendo's hot new IP and could have a really cool and unique moveset. I'd enjoy them as a choice also.

I think that's all the truly popular choices (from what I've seen) covered. If the ballot is legit (and the "votes" I've seen expressed on the Internet are accurate), the characters will probably be some of these. I guess Wonder Red, Inklings, and Isaac are my 3 top choices if I had to pick from these choices which appear most popular.

Let me follow you up on my thoughts on popular votes.

Bandana Dee - I completely agree, the love for this guy literally came out of nowhere. I sense full on trolling with this guy, or it's just a joke in general. Not interested, I'd laugh if he gets in, but I'll also be disappointed which none of the DLC's have made me so far. (Roy was slightly disappointing, but he was half expected.)

King K Rool - I always wanted this guy in since Melee when they started adding villain counterparts and making the game less main character/hero oriented. By far Donkey's greatest foe/rival, and Donkey Kong only having 2 reps especially when he's one of Nintendo's biggest IP's and most well known characters, yeah he NEEDS to be in.

Dixie Kong - Agree no more kongs. We have her? Cool. But I'd prefer a heavy weight Rool then another light weight character. Besides I confuse her with Tiny Kong half the time and she really wouldn't offer anything amazing,

Chibi Robo - I see potential, but I just don't really care for the little guy. He's cute, could have a interesting play style, but let's just see how well his new game preforms and maybe I'll give support for him in the next smash. I'm just not really feeling it with this guy for now.

Isaac - I know he's a beloved character, but do we really need him right now? He's literally Robin. I'm all in for him only if he's a clone of Robin and takes other character skills to make him his own to save on time. But he's definitely not my first pick.

Krystal - I agree, Smash needs more females but I'd rather have Dixie then Krystal. If Wolf comes back I don't think we need anymore Star Fox characters. She has potential, but I'd much rather see her come back to Star Fox IP in general, not Smash.

Paper Mario - Agreed. No more Mario. He would be unique, he would be fun to play as, but seriously just no. He's a great idea that I don't want to see just because of sheer over abundance.

Inklings - Again agreed. Inklings (specifically the orange haired female character who I view as the series mascot) Are the hot new IP that needs to be in Smash. We need more projectile shooters in the game like Snake was, they would have a ton of fun abilities to mimic from their game, and so much potential as to how their abilities work. If anyone is a better fit in Smash now it's these lovable squids.

edit: Two characters you didn't mention

Shovel Knight The game is a hit, he would have an amazing play-style, he would most definitely be a heavy-weighted character which is something Smash 4 needs, and although I don't personally have a huge interest in him I just see him a great fit for Smash in everyway and he would definitely be a great representative for indie games as a whole.

Banjo Kazooie
We all know why they even have a chance now, but I still have to say no to these two despite my absolute love for them. Their Microsoft's property, adding them to Smash would just be free advertising for Microsoft, and would do no justice in the long run. My ultimatum for Microsoft, allow the use the characters in Smash provided you let Nintendo port Banjo Kazooie and Tooie to the Wii U/NX.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Let me follow you up on my thoughts on popular votes.

Isaac - I know he's a beloved character, but do we really need him right now? He's literally Robin. I'm all in for him only if he's a clone of Robin and takes other character skills to make him his own to save on time. But he's definitely not my first pick.

Despite with the fact that he might have very extremely low chance to become playable character. Nothing personal but your comment made me thinking that you didn't even play Golden Sun franchise.

Illucio

Banned
Despite with the fact that he might have very extremely low chance to become playable character. Nothing personal but your comment made me thinking that you didn't even play Golden Sun franchise.

I played a fair amount of Dark Dawn because I heard good things about the series, but I never got into the game or series as a whole. (I'd love to see a more fleshed out game in the series though, sort of like Fire Emblem: Awakening did to me for the series.)

I just see him as another magic/sword user which I mean by referring him to Robin. I know Golden Sun is like Mother/Earthbound in terms of a cult following, but I really just don't see him coming to Smash right now with his own unique move set. The only way I see him even getting a chance is if he was a clone of other characters abilities. (Like how Ganon is a heavy weight clone of Captain Falcon, but slowly tweaked and changed over each iteration of Smash.) Long story short he's not a bad suggestion nor a very good one in my eyes anyway you look at him. Just not a character I see coming to Smash unless he took little work to get him in in general. My problem is that I look at him and think of characters we already have, I've seen a ton of suggested moves for him, concepts, and suggestions. But again I'm just not really feeling it, if he gets in to me its like "Okay."

It's hard to express how I feel about him because he's neither good or bad. I just stay very Neutral on him, if he's in alright I won't say a thing, if he's not it's the same feeling.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Third party VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS.

And I already stated that Miku has honest to god video games. And this isn't shit like "video game of anime. No, it is literally her engine being used as a video game which she stars, which is more than I can say for ROB.

The other guy already had a mental breakdown from all the mental gymnastics, let's not go there again. My point is that she can be in or not, but do not rank her on the likes of an anime character because she isn't.

-shadow-

His time has come!

tumblr_mu2fxrWAWb1qdmrf4o1_400.gif

lol @ people legitimately thinking Miku has literally any chance

delusions, nothing more. come on guys, you might as well be asking for goku

And I already stated that Miku has honest to god video games. And this isn't shit like "video game of anime. No, it is literally her engine being used as a video game which she stars, which is more than I can say for ROB.

The other guy already had a mental breakdown from all the mental gymnastics, let's not go there again. My point is that she can be in or not, but do not rank her on the likes of an anime character because she isn't.
Miku did not originate from a video game AND she's a third party property. No other point needs to be made. It is exactly the same as Shrek, Goku, Ronald McDonald, Michael Jackson etc. She has no chance of making it and she doesn't deserve it. She shouldn't be part of any discussion. Her engine being used for video games doesn't change the fact that she's not a video game character.

R.O.B. doesn't have to be a video game character because he's owned by Nintendo. The rules for third party inclusions do not apply to Nintendo inclusions. Sakurai has made it clear that third party characters have to have a specific set of qualifications, while Nintendo can do whatever they want with their own stuff. They can use Nintendo characters, products, actual people within the company. The other third parties in the game are not only FROM video games, they've shaped the industry. They fit Sakurai's qualifications. Miku's addition would be a joke of epic proportions.

Boss Doggie

Miku did not originate from a video game AND she's a third party property. No other point needs to be made. It is exactly the same as Shrek, Goku, Ronald McDonald, Michael Jackson etc. She has no chance of making it and she doesn't deserve it. She shouldn't be part of any discussion. Her engine being used for video games doesn't change the fact that she's not a video game character.

R.O.B. doesn't have to be a video game character because he's owned by Nintendo. The rules for third party inclusions do not apply to Nintendo inclusions. Sakurai has made it clear that third party characters have to have a specific set of qualifications, while Nintendo can do whatever they want with their own stuff. They can use Nintendo characters, products, actual people within the company. The other third parties in the game are not only FROM video games, they've shaped the industry. They fit Sakurai's qualifications. Miku's addition would be a joke of epic proportions.

She is an "avatar" of a program which eventually got used as a video game. No more different than ROB. Yes ROB is a Nintendo character, but that's not the focus of the comparison - it is that they share similar origins. And obviously she has little to get in, primarily because her owner doesn't seem to have close ties with Nintendo and the only reason she has her games in Nintendo consoles is because of Sega.

But again, regardless of all the shit, my point is that it is laughable to consider her as an anime character. That was the reason I went in with the Miku discussion to begin with, because plenty of people here seem to think of her as an anime character when in fact she has ties to the video game industry. No more different than people hating ROB because "it is just a toy, not a video game character!"

With that said you're veering to "putting things in Sakurai's mouth" territory. It's as bad as making arbitrary rules like "x should be relevant" in a Smash pick. There are no "rules", just "the character should come from a video game". This is as bad as people thinking "Smash is a celebration of Nintendo franchises" as a real deal and not a troll post.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well if Miku can't get in because "reasons" at least there's Haruka Amami from the iDOLM@STER to occupy the Japanese singing character role.

Good luck with your "not videogames" argument here.

Lol at Miku being anime......id say she has some shot, and if she did win it would certainly turn heads and get a lot of attention. She has been around for 8 years now so I think she would be historic enough. She is getting more relevant with games as of late. I think she has been more easily accepted as a VG character then when she was only a sound software along with rest of the Vocaloids.

Illucio

Banned
She is an "avatar" of a program which eventually got used as a video game. No more different than ROB. Yes ROB is a Nintendo character, but that's not the focus of the comparison - it is that they share similar origins.

But again, regardless of all the shit, my point is that it is laughable to consider her as an anime character. That was the reason I went in with the Miku discussion to begin with, because plenty of people here seem to think of her as an anime character when in fact she has ties to the video game industry.

With that said you're veering to "putting things in Sakurai's mouth" territory. It's as bad as making arbitrary rules like "x should be relevant" in a Smash pick. There are no "rules", just "the character should come from a video game". This is as bad as people thinking "Smash is a celebration of Nintendo franchises" as a real deal and not a troll post.

Miku technically is a anime character in terms of her style of her artwork/character. Anime is defined as a style/look of the artwork on a animation, which Miku fits the bill. While she has her own 3D styling/look, her appearance is still derived from the anime style.

It's like Skyward Sword's style is a painting artwork style, Wind Waker being a more cartoon style, Twilight Princess a more western/realistic style, and so on.

Anime is a style, not a independent concept like a books are separate thing to movies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I do find it funny though that Horizon gets critiqued for supporting the same character, Miku, in these threads but those who do the same thing with others, say Wonder Red, can do so without anyone saying anything simply because Horizon's choice goes against the grain.

Pro Tip: at the end of the day it's unlikely any of your choices are getting in so there's really no need to put someone down for what is just a bit of harmless fun.

Nanashrew

Banned
Miku technically is a anime character in terms of her style of her artwork/character. Anime is defined as a style/look of the artwork on a animation, which Miku fits the bill. While she has her own 3D styling/look, her appearance is still derived from the anime style.

It's like Skyward Sword's style is a painting artwork style, Wind Waker being a more cartoon style, Twilight Princess a more western/realistic style, and so on.

Anime is a style, not a independent concept like a books are separate thing to movies.

Wind Waker is actually anime based from an old Toei Animation film from the 60's, Wanpaku Ōji no Orochi Taiji

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulQ5jumhk1Y

Boss Doggie

wat

that's like saying FE is anime

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Anime is Japanese for animation. Literally that's it. It's not a style.

Or are you going to argue all anime looks the same?

I think the inklings are a safe bet.

Shovel Knight is also likely because of the Amiibo.

Wolf is absolutely in, with the new Starfox coming.

Illucio

Banned
wat

that's like saying FE is anime

It's artwork's style is anime.

Anime is Japanese for animation. Literally that's it. It's not a style.

Or are you going to argue all anime looks the same?

When you make a anime your typically going for the same style of influence of what content by the name of anime is like. They don't have to look exactly alike to be considered anime. That's why Avatar: The Last Airbender isn't anime but RWBY is.

And yes Anime is used to abbreviate for animation in Japan, but no that's not what Anime is as a whole, it's currently defined that way because there hasn't been a proper explanation for what defines it.

edit:

Wind Waker is literally an anime style.

This is very grey area. You could also argue that The Little Prince and the Eight Headed Dragon isn't anime by it's contrast to the anime styling. I think Nintendo was referring to it's animation rather than a style. So they we're modeling Wind Waker over The Little Prince's animation which was a style of its own.

Anime has multiple meanings of definition, a style, or animation in general. It's like saying cool, it means chilly weather, or that something is likable. In Japan they call Disney Cartoons Anime, which is where the definition we have in America comes from. But when we refer to a certain look/artwork of a character it's a style.

Neoxon

I think the inklings are a safe bet.

Shovel Knight is also likely because of the Amiibo.

Wolf is absolutely in, with the new Starfox coming.
If Shovel Knight is in the game, it's not because of the Amiibo (which is completely independent of Smash).

Wind Waker is literally an anime style.

She is an "avatar" of a program which eventually got used as a video game. No more different than ROB. Yes ROB is a Nintendo character, but that's not the focus of the comparison - it is that they share similar origins. And obviously she has little to get in, primarily because her owner doesn't seem to have close ties with Nintendo and the only reason she has her games in Nintendo consoles is because of Sega.

But again, regardless of all the shit, my point is that it is laughable to consider her as an anime character. That was the reason I went in with the Miku discussion to begin with, because plenty of people here seem to think of her as an anime character when in fact she has ties to the video game industry. No more different than people hating ROB because "it is just a toy, not a video game character!"

Miku is not an anime character, but she is still in the same boat. That boat being third party, non-video game characters.

Also I didn't put anything in Sakurai's mouth. You can look up his "rules" yourself.

Boss Doggie

Well if Miku can't get in because "reasons" at least there's Haruka Amami from the iDOLM@STER to occupy the Japanese singing character role.

Good luck with your "not videogames" argument here.

something about third parties needing close ties with nintendo or some shit

Miku is not an anime character, but she is still in the same boat. That boat being third party, non-video game characters.

Also I didn't put anything in Sakurai's mouth. You can look up his "rules" yourself.

But at this point is she even a non-video game character? Third party yes, but her stuff going on makes her a video game character who has gigs.

And his only official rule is that - at least the character's origins should be a video game.

Neoxon

why so many people are convinced wolf is in it? did we had a leak?
  • Star Fox Zero is on the way
  • Wolf is hella popular
  • Wolf is the last veteran (besides Ivysaur & Squirtle) with no technical or legal reasons holding him back
In short, Wolf is an obvious pick. But at the same time, people are scared that Sakurai won't pick him because he's too obvious.

What would make him so unique from Robin? He's a spellsword. Maybe he could store and release djinn and use movement based psynergies, but he'd be similar in that regard.

Robin uses 4 elements. Isaac can be pure earth Magic Knight, and hes not just limited to earth magic, he can use the Psynergy moves to Push, Pound, lift , throw objects around which im sure can be pulled off in battle as shown in his assist throphy in brawl. Saying hes another Robin seems wrong, its like saying Mario is just another Ryu.

If he would be anything like Robin, he would fair better up close then being a zoner.

Boss Doggie

Also people tend to do weird things when trying to "rationalize" Snake's inclusion, from researching MG's first games to even considering Twin Snakes. And yet people forget why Snake got in to begin with - because Kojima asked him. None of that "because ties with Nintendo" shit.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Robin uses 4 elements. Isaac can be pure earth Magic Knight, and hes not just limited to earth magic, he can use the Psynergy moves to Push, Pound, lift , throw objects around which im sure can be pulled off in battle as shown in his assist throphy in brawl. Saying hes another Robin seems wrong, its like saying Mario is just another Ryu.

If he would be anything like Robin, he would fair better up close then being a zoner.

Robin wishes he could do as much stuff as Isaac.

http://www.goldensun-syndicate.net/gs/classes/character/isaac/
http://www.goldensun-syndicate.net/tla/classes/character/isaac/
http://www.goldensun-syndicate.net/tla/psynergy/#utilityTable

He has just about as much move potential to pick from as Megaman does with all his boss weapons. Maybe even more. He even could be Shulk like with buffs that could change his attack power or give himself protection.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

You never played Golden Sun have you? At least you made me laugh.

Besides they could go with Isaac from Dark Dawn who uses a Great Sword in both hands which no fighter uses. Sorry Ike usually does one handed swings.

Plus in the games Isaac can also wield Axes, Maces, Short swords, Long Swords, and Great Swords.

Also wasn't limited to 3 elements of spells. And one Darkness spell which Robin can't use as a Grandmaster anyway?

Not to mention a class system that gave him a ton of different Psynergy with different effects. And Djinn also making way for more attacks and beneficial buffs to himself and party members.

Going he looks like Robin, uses magic and a sword and would be the same just proves how ignorant you are of Golden Sun and what abilities Isaac possesses. And if Isaac uses magic and the amount of caster type characters is sparse as it is wouldn't that be a good thing to add anyway? I would love to have a Red Mage archetype that isn't slower then Ganondorf.

Or is this solely a "Not a character I want so they shouldn't add him" kind of thing? If a character can add a new playstyle and utility to the roster then I'm all for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom