• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So for real guys: Is Silicon Knights making Eternal Darkness 2?

Neiteio

Mods, feel free to close this if need be, but when I saw Silicon Knights' name in another thread title I felt the uncontrollable urge to ask the question: Now that we've had some time to mull over the rumors from months past, what does everyone think they're working on?

Is the "highly requested sequel" Dyack hinted at, in fact, a return to Mantorok and friends? Could a WiiU Eternal Darkness 2 be in our future, perhaps utilizing the UPad to display the titular tome like an iPad ebook, leafing through the flesh-and-blood pages with swipes of your fingers to easily reach inventory and spells? Or maybe the UPad could be used for (hopefully more subtle) sanity effects? Is Silicon Knights, in the wake of recent layoffs and financial troubles, even in a position to create such a game in the first place? Is SK being a licensed WiiU developer, or Nintendo renewing the ED trademark a couple years back, reason for hope? Or is it just some new Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain game and all my hopes are for naught (though I know many of you would like such a thing)?

I feel nostalgic for bloody bodies in bathtubs and men in powdered wigs... for 10,000-eyed fertility gods festering in old Cambodian tombs... for "CHARLEMAGNNNEEEE!" Surely I'm not the only one who'd like to see ED be this year's "DKCR in 2010?"

5xZ3D.gif

Doubt it

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Unless he is highly delusional and thinks anyone cares about Too Human 2 then this would have to be either ED2 or some sort of return to the Kain games. At that point the money would have to be on ED2.

Linkhero1

From what I can tell they're not working on the game. It seems to me as if they're working on THE game.
TOO HUMAN 2

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Square-Enix and Crystal Dynamics won't let them make another Legacy of Kain, so rule that one out.

There's a lot of things pointing to ED2, but we won't know for sure for at least another few weeks.

Neiteio

They said they're going back to their roots, unless this is a metaphor for Pikmin 3 darkly re-imagined.
"Going back to their roots?" Would ED be, uh, root-y enough to fit the bill? Seems more like a suggestion of Soul Reaver/Kain, right?

Here's me opening a dark rift to talk to Iwata if ED2 is announced:

1047786-pious_augustus_super.jpg

I'd kill for a HD remake of eternal darkness at this point

i sold my gamecube copy :'( smh at me.

i would go nuts if Eternal Darkness 2 was made :O

Neiteio

i would go nuts if Eternal Darkness 2 was made :O
I'd be like Maxmillian Roivas when he suspected his butlers were monsters and burst into their room shooting up the place. My friends always used to yell, "HE'S DRUNK AGAIN" when we got to that point. Game's something of a cult classic with us, you see.

It sounds too good to be true.
My concern as well. The stars align a little too perfectly. Can we apologize to Dyack now and get him to just tell us? We can then shelter him from the Nintendo ninjas.

White Man

"Going back to their roots?" Would ED be, uh, root-y enough to fit the bill? Seems more like a suggestion of Soul Reaver/Kain, right?

Here's me opening a dark rift to talk to Iwata if ED2 is announced:

I figured that "roots" just implied their earlier spooky\horror-y\non-cybernetic norse god-related work. No matter what it's a sequel to, it's going to have to have a new identity our be remained or something, right? They don't own any of their old IP, right?

midonnay

is there really a market for eternal darkness 2 on console? sounds like bomba in waiting and disappointed hopes on gaf.

probably has a better chance if its an IOS game to be honest :/

perhaps a kickstarter to gauge whether there really is any interest.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I figured that "roots" just implied their earlier spooky\horror-y\non-cybernetic norse god-related work. No matter what it's a sequel to, it's going to have to have a new identity our be remained or something, right? They don't own any of their old IP, right?

The theory behind ED2 is that while Nintendo owns the property completely they also own a stake in SK so that means they haven't burned every bridge with big N yet.

I wouldn't put it past Square-Enix though to give them a shot at more Kain nonsense. They love their western developers and outsourcing.

Neiteio

They don't own the ED IP... Nintendo does... But SK and Nintendo split on amicable terms. Perhaps Nintendo will reach out to SK for a sequel, seeing some UPad-enhanced, core-appealing potential in the ED IP. They did renew the trademark a couple years back. And certainly Nintendo could bolster SK with resources they currently don't have. Hmm...

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I actually really feel like they are, and I usually try to stay pretty skeptical about these things. It would certainly be very cool if they were.

Kacho

I actually really feel like they are, and I usually try to stay pretty skeptical about these things. It would certainly be very cool if they were.

I agree. I'm typically dismissive of seemingly crazy rumors, but I believe this one is legit.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The theory behind ED2 is that while Nintendo owns the property completely they also own a stake in SK so that means they haven't burned every bridge with big N yet.

I wouldn't put it past Square-Enix though to give them a shot at more Kain nonsense. They love their western developers and outsourcing.
Squeenix would just put Crystal Dynamics on Legacy of Kain. There's a lot of bad blood between CD and SK, so I doubt that's what they're working on.

Neiteio

Squeenix would just put Crystal Dynamics on Legacy of Kain. There's a lot of bad blood between CD and SK, so I doubt that's what they're working on.
Why is there bad blood between CD and SK?

And I wish Eat_Children would get his sweet, sweet Australian ass in here with his analysis of the situation.

He's probably busy boxing kangaroos or wrestling crocodiles. :-\

Man God

Non-Canon Member

That's why I agree that it is unlikely, but maybe CD is busy with something else and who knows.

The reason why the ED rumor is so pervasive is that it is the only one that is anywhere near likely, but it could just be a bunch of smoke from a company long past its prime.

White Man

Even if they don't own ED, I think that would be the easiest title to re-imagine due to its short story-ish structure. Basically ditch the lame Roivas framing and spin new Lovecrafty stories without reusing names that came from the released ED game.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Most likely yes, for Wii U.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/

Dennis Dyack said:
"Bottom-line, and this is pretty public, we went through hell last generation by trying to adopt the Unreal Engine. It hurt us so dramatically that it affected us a lot, all the way through. You know, we're hoping to fix that this gen. We've suffered a lot, that's all I can say," Dyack continued.

Interestingly, he refers to last generation and "this gen" because Silicon Knights has already moved on to new consoles. Dyack's not ready to talk about the next-gen project, but given his comments on Eternal Darkness recently, we have a strong suspicion that Silicon Knights is actually working on the fan favorite.

"We're really excited and we're working on our next generation stuff. We're working on an IP that's our most requested and we're really excited about that."

"We're smaller, obviously," he said referring to layoffs, "and we're going back to our roots. I'm really looking forward to a point in time when we can talk about it, it's just not today. That's the current state of things. I think the state of our demise has been greatly exaggerated. Here we are. We're here."

The quote is vague but it only leaves two real options: Legacy of Kain and Eternal Darkness. Let me outline why I think Eternal Darkness is the most likely option:

- Nintendo, who fully owns the Eternal Darkness IP, recently renewed its trademark for it, along with Luigi's Mansion. They then went on to announce Luigi's Mansion 2. It's not a trend yet, but they tipped their hand a bit.

- The only "next generation stuff" Silicon Knights could be working on is Wii U (or PC), because Dennis made a similar statement last year. Unless you're an A-tier developer, which Silicon Knights isn't, there's almost no chance you have access to Sony or Microsoft's next-gen stuff now, let alone last year.

- Nintendo made a big deal about showing off as many M-rated titles for Wii U as possible last E3. Aliens: Colonial Marines, Darksiders 2, Batman: Arkham City, Assassin's Creed 3, Killer Freaks, Metro: Last Night, Ninja Gaiden 3, and Ghost Recon Online were all featured heavily and in fact dominated Nintendo's third-party Wii U reel. Nintendo seems committed to getting as many Mature-rated titles onto the platform as possible, and as such may have their own ace in the hole with the Eternal Darkness IP.

Now of course, nothing may come of this. The game could get cancelled (like Factor 5's Kid Icarus) or Silicon Knights could go under (like, um, Factor 5.) Or Dennis could be lying. But assuming the quote is true and a game is being made, an Eternal Darkness sequel for Wii U seems the most likely.

Instro

Actually now that I think about it I'm not sure Nintendo would go back to SK after their recent output of games.

Well Nintendo still has some partial ownership in the company, albeit small. Their output isn't really a big deal, considering that many of the western companies Nintendo currently works with had pretty awful output until they were managed by Nintendo.

Unless Dyack is outright lying, they are probably working on ED2. IIRC they have WiiU dev kits, and its been said their game is for a next gen console.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Why is there bad blood between CD and SK?
There was a dispute over who owned the rights to Legacy of Kain, and both Crystal Dynamics and Silicon Knights started work on separate sequels. Obviously Crystal Dynamics won.
Silicon Knights also claim that research they carried out for the first game was used by Crystal Dynamics for Soul Reaver without permission.

stuminus3

Banned
is there really a market for eternal darkness 2 on console? sounds like bomba in waiting and disappointed hopes on gaf.

This is an insanity effect, right?

Or am I really going nuts? o_O

spanks

On one hand, I really want a proper Eternal Darkness 2.
On the other, do I really want ED2 from the guys who made that shitty X-men game? Maybe if they are heavily supervised by Nintendo, and if they are not rushed, and if they hire some more experienced talent, then MAYBE it could be could be good. That's a lot of ifs, though.

Instro

Though oddly, the most specific remarks he's made of that nature have been referring to 3DS, not Wii U.

He has definitely made specific comments about several 3rd party partnerships for the WiiU over the last year. The comments about the 3DS getting increased western 3rd party support are recent.

Nintendo is not third-party yet.

Top Bottom