• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So that new PPG show is really, REALLY bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matsukaze

Disappointing to hear. I never expected the new PPG could live up to the original, but it sounds like they didn't even come close.

Then again, I've recently discovered Steven Universe and it's absolutely amazing, so I shouldn't really complain.

I love that Craig McCracken (the creator of the original PPG) himself commented on that.

PPG had such a great soundtrack. It's a widely accepted truth by people working in animation that sound is always the first area to get cut in budget, which is one of the many reasons shows like Avatar and old-school Spongebob stood out from the crowd, due to sticking to providing a great soundtrack. PPG was one of those.

EEnE's soundtrack is god tier stuff. And recently, Steven Universe background stuff is amazing stuff.
I'd also include the early seasons of MLP as having good background tracks, but there's no real way to listen to them clean.

The joke was that Ms. Bellum was smarter but was stuck in that position because she was a woman, but if that joke is deemed too obtuse, then fine: They should have reversed it and had Mayor Bellum with the old mayor as her dimwitted assistant, which would have been equally funny.

That new theme song makes my eardrums bleed.

Dan Schneider and Spongebob basically ruined kids' television by turning the whole landscape into a competition of who can be the most random and surreal. Not that I was some kind of PPG fan, I think I caught an episode or two after school, but it at least had kind of an identity, what with episodes that were protracted Beatles references or episodes centered on the nature of time as it relates to relativity.

Sounds like it was given the Teen Titans Go treatment

no it wasn't, TTG isn't trying be like the old Teen Titans show, it's trying to be something different all together and sure it may not be that good at times, it's still trying to be something different

this PPG reboot is trying to be just like the old show and is failing at it

two different things

I've always wondered whether people who hate TTG also hate Brave and the Bold. It seems like a similar transition in tone and style, but I never see people complain about Brave and the Bold on GAF.

i think why people like Brave and the Bold is more because they were willing to go along with the change, Brave and the Bold was like the 4th animated batman TV show and people wanted something new and going for that whole sliver age style people it made sense

grated Brave and the Bold is actully good almost all the time unlike TTG where a good amount of episodes aren't all that good

Ran rp

why isn't all of eene available on DVD in the US. why do I have to import the later seasons from Thailand...

cn please

Excuses what? I said I think the show is funny, which is what really matters for a comedy show. Animation is kinda janky but it works.

Well, is it a comedy show? Therein lies the rub- I'm just flat not sure whether or not that's the intention. The original certainly wasn't comedy, and there have already been episodes of the new one that aren't even trying to be.

This whole "raped my childhood" thing is goofy as hell.
First off, that's a vile phrase that I would never use.

Secondly, it's not just the original it's worse than. It's bad in its own right, and it's REALLY bad compared to its Cartoon Network stablemates.
Dan Schneider and Spongebob basically ruined kids' television by turning the whole landscape into a competition of who can be the most random and surreal. Not that I was some kind of PPG fan, I think I caught an episode or two after school, but it at least had kind of an identity, what with episodes that were protracted Beatles references or episodes centered on the nature of time as it relates to relativity.
I'm not so sure I'm seeing the Schneider influence in kid's TV on the whole today.

If you want the touchstone of cartoons as they are today, you look at Adventure Time, not SpongeBob.

TheOGB

Banned
To be totally honest, I laughed at the "omg yaaasss" scene
and the following "I literally can't even" back and forth

But the show is... it's a damn shame. It's just too generic. The whole revival seems unnecessary. Like, why would you bring back The Powerpuff Girls just to do memes and weak, minimal action?

Aside from the generic "Did you just call me a little girl" clip, the only glimpse that I had seen of the show was a clip given by an online friend that gave the group we were in a first impression of it.

It was Bubbles saying "I can't even".

My respect for TTG grew a bit once I realized they brought PPG into that direction.

To be totally honest, I laughed at the "omg yaaasss" scene
and the following "I literally can't even" back and forth

But the show is... it's a damn shame. It's just too generic. The whole revival seems unnecessary. Like, why would you bring back The Powerpuff Girls just to do memes and weak, minimal action?

money, PPG was CN most profitable IP with the amount of toys it sold, heck they were already showing off the new toys before the show even started

Ive seen some clips of TTG. Some of it is funny like them dressing up as the Justice League. Others are kind of terrible, like the one calling Young Justice super self serious and humourless.

HD-VHS

Banned
Well, is it a comedy show? Therein lies the rub- I'm just flat not sure whether or not that's the intention. The original certainly wasn't comedy, and there have already been episodes of the new one that aren't even trying to be.

The original was absolutely a comedy show.

Meffer

What was Miss Bellum like in PPGZ? I never watched it before.

edit: Should I watch PPGZ?
It's not as good as the original but compared to the new pile of crap, it's okay. The designs for the girls are good too but the they did change the origin of them.
Watch if you really want to.
But remember, it's an anime adaptation.

Parfait

cWTDqgz.gif

NRMxEeB.gif

Only darkness is in the future

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why, but the thing that actually got me annoyed enough to post is the fact that it rips off the Hangover. I dono, it's seems just that little extra mile of lazyness to rip off popular media story lines instead of just making your own.

The writers fucked up on the first step of writing humour for the Youtube generation.

YOU DON'T DIRECTLY REFERENCE SHIT. Especially when it'll take a year before the episode is made and aired on television, which from what I understand is about how long most CN shows take. These days shitty memes come and go in like a week. At the time Me Gusta was probably still relevant when the writers were planning out the episode.

For the moment the show is the definition of passable children's television. Kids will probably eat it up, but unless it takes a big upturn in quality it's doubtful to me that it will stick with them like the original PPG did for us. But considering most CN shows get quite a bit better as they go on, I'm hoping it will improve. I really didn't care for Clarence when it first started but the second season so far has been amazing. Though that might have something to do with them getting rid of that creepy dirtbag Skyler Page.

I don't know why, but the thing that actually got me annoyed enough to post is the fact that it rips off the Hangover. I dono, it's seems just that little extra mile of lazyness to rip off popular media story lines instead of just making your own.

This and the Men's Rights Activist villain in a later episode was what broke me, haha.

Preble

teen titans go is hilarious and extremely well done

I agree. They are two different shows. Its like fans think Teen Titans Go is supposed to be a direct sequel to the 2003 series. It was always advertised as a comedy series based on the previous series.

I'd kinda like to see a sequel to the original series too, but I also can accept Teen Titans Go as it's own thing.

no it wasn't, TTG isn't trying be like the old Teen Titans show, it's trying to be something different all together and sure it may not be that good at times, it's still trying to be something different

this PPG reboot is trying to be just like the old show and is failing at it

two different things

I actually don't think it's "trying to be just like the old show". I think it's like TTG in that it makes fun of it's original and magnifies the personalities of it's cast to do so AND puts them in a current setting dealing with todays culture. TTG IMO started off much more tame than it is now and I feel like PPG are in the same spot. They haven't gotten to the "lol, lets just go balls2daWALLZ" point yet.

vypek

Thats a shame. I wanted to give it a few episodes since I really liked the show when I was younger. I didn't know no me gusta was a meme but that does remind me that speaking Spanish was a unique power for Bubbles in the original.

From the commercials the show doesn't look great and the special they had didn't look wonderful either. Also reminds me that the new scooby doo likes like shit as well. Like a what you would expect of a parody in Family Guy.

I forgot that there was a new PPG show. I recently watched some of the show on Hulu, and seeing some of these clips just...OFFENDS me.

If kids enjoy it, then I suppose that's fine, but...jesus h. christ.

Eeeh, I'd say the reboot is decent overall. Some charming ideas here and there (I like the Bikini Sisters/Fashionista Gang. Bianca Bikini is an especially inspired design; she's basically all hips, and the mouth shapes for her lip sync have a ton of appeal), but nothing amazing or really interesting. I'm sure CN's key demographic likes it.

It definitively has a lot of problems (disjointed art direction, poorly drawn key poses with no appeal, action scenes with noticeably slow timing/close spacing, poorly constructed writing- Ex: villain lady dangles girls over molten polyester, villain lady later falls into said molten polyester only to complain that she's tacky rather than in immense burning pain-, etc.) but I honestly wouldn't call it "really bad" or anything like that.

I think thats cute

Same here (it feels like something Bubbles from the classic series would say), but at the same time...I definitely think HIM should've been the first character to say "Yaasss!", it only makes sense and would be a little funny. At least give me that if all you're going to do is use one of the most threatening, powerful, and charming villains from the series for lazy "A-hyuck! That's not a lady! lololol" gender confusion jokes and meaningless menial mischief.
:/

Hylian7

I mean, it was pretty clear it was a Hangover reference. The joke was there for the adults. I thought that episode was pretty good.

MartyStu

Different show, different time, different sensibilities, different audience.

I do not like it as much as the original either, but I think that this was inevitable.

ZoddGutts

Watched a few eps and it was enough for me to say that I'm done with it. I actually enjoy watching TTG from time to time, it can be really funny at times, sometimes the go overboard though, I just skip those eps.

jstripes

Banned
The terrible choice between keeping the spirit of the original show, and pandering to today's youth.

Where the producers of PPG dropped the ball, the producers of Steven Universe didn't.

(The Steven Universe reboot in 20 years is going to suck.)

Blues1990

The joke was that Ms. Bellum was smarter but was stuck in that position because she was a woman, but if that joke is deemed too obtuse, then fine: They should have reversed it and had Mayor Bellum with the old mayor as her dimwitted assistant, which would have been equally funny.

This would've been the better option, as I hated the Mayor in the old show. There's being scatterbrained, and then there's thinking like a block of wood, but being almost completely stupid is rarely funny if that's the character's only defining personality trait.

I saw the twerking clip last night and I'm still reeling. It looks so awful.
I wonder if kids like it.

Holy shit! My daughter came up to me so upset a little while ago telling me she was done with the show, having just seen this clip you're talking about..she's REALLY upset lol. I feel bad for laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom