• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: geohot is altering evidence and fleeing to South America, Geohot: No I'm not

Afrikan

how do you accidentally type in your own username?

I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt here...but I just don't see how that's possible.

Afrikan said:

I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt here...but I just don't see how that's possible.
Probably forgot what account he was on for a minute.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Afrikan said:

He clearly forgot to log into his alt account. Does anyone have that picture of a similar situation involving another gaffer?

Mr_Brit

Banned
RustyNails said:
Oh shit. Link/pics please!
Here you go.

Troll.jpg

Edit: Poster above me has the link to the actual post.

Corto

We are al entities of Evilore collective conscience. The guys that always refer to Neogaf as an individual entity were right all along.

Corto

corto said:
We are al entities of Evilore collective conscience. The guys that always refer to Neogaf as an individual entity were right all along.

OMG! You're right...

081705_shyamalan.jpg

joking, just in case it's not immediately apparent... ;)

Afrikan

Mr_Brit said:
He clearly forgot to log into his alt account. Does anyone have that picture of a similar situation involving another gaffer?

no, I understand what happened, but why....WHY do some folks do that? What is the benefit?

"trolling" or "LMAO" at their own posts?

Mr_Brit

Banned
Afrikan said:
no, I understand what happened, but why....WHY do some folks do that? What is the benefit?

"trolling" or "LMAO" at their own posts?
Exactly that. To increase their NeoGAF infamy in other words.

Maybe he... tried to copy the name from the post, but accidentally... highlighted his own name and... pasted that. And didn't notice.

Yeah, I've got nothing.

Curufinwe said:
I'm not actually a junior, btw. Been around for almost 2 years and 3,000+ posts.

So you got perma-juniored for doing / posting something incredibly stupid?
That's not actually any better than just being new.

Rainier

AzureJericho said:
I literally just popped in here to see the most recent page for updates and damn. Nice job there. :lol
Same here, never knew people did this. Alt accounts to support one them I can see, but this? Jesus dude...

Curufinwe

MrNyarlathotep said:
So you got perma-juniored for doing / posting something incredibly stupid?
That's not actually any better than just being new.

As far as I know it's just an error. I haven't seen any thread where that punishment was announced, nor I have received any PM or an email informing me that I have been made a Junior Member permanently.

Also, I don't know if anyone here is actually claiming that Zizbuka is my alt-account, but if they are, they are wrong. Curufinwe is my one and only GAF account and any investigation will show this to be true.

Corto

Curufinwe said:
As far as I know it's just an error. I haven't seen any thread where that punishment was announced, nor I have received any PM or an email informing me that I have been made a Junior Member permanently.

minority-report-ui.jpg

Hex

Banned
Curufinwe said:

It does not really work that way.

Wasn't there a far funnier situation than the Timber posts years ago where some poster was essentially having a long argument with themself and then got their alts mixed up halfway through?

I wish I could remember who/what that was.

Curufinwe

Hex said:
It does not really work that way.

If you say so. If I have been made a Junior Member for something I did wrong it would be cool if someone could tell me what it was. I first noticed it and mentioned it in the Tomb Raider Trilogy thread a few days ago, but I wasn't sure who I should ask about it.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
test_account said:
I really doubt that such wide precedent will be set in this case. If that was the case, then it would be illegal to hack cellphones as well (which today is legal). If a precedent is set, i think that it will be specifically about gaming consoles and not go for every product. And there will probably be very specific mentionings of what cant be modified, not just a general "no modification allowed".
However, it was illegal and it will only remain "legal" as long as the exemption remains. The DMCA still holds that hacking a phone is illegal and if that exemption ever does not get renewed, it becomes "illegal" again. Also, an exemption may not hold up once there is legal precedent that someone like Apple can say is not fundamentally different.

Personally i'm not worried since this case is not the first one of it's kind. So regardless of who wins or loses, i think that people in general will notice no difference compared to how things are today. I have also never heard of anyone who have gotten jailed/fined over only doing modification to their own devices only and nothing more. For example, probably tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands people, hacked their iPhone before it was determained legal, but how many of these got jailed/fined? I have not heard of anyone at least.
Ummm...those people modding their own devices were actually using information provided by others that figured it out and revealed said information, while also supplying modified software. Sound familiar? Despite what people continue to want to pretend, the difference between consoles and phones is NOT that the console info became public. The phone info became public too. The reason people were not jailed/fined is because, I doubt anyone would seek a criminal case so you can't be jailed, and no one went the Sony route and filed a civil suit.

In the exemption, the LoC stated that unless the exemption was in place, phone hackers would not have a defense against the DMCA. Therefore, had Apple gone the Sony route, the LoC believed a hacker would have a hard time defended what the LoC deems are legitimate uses.

test_account

XP-39C²
squatingyeti said:
However, it was illegal and it will only remain "legal" as long as the exemption remains. The DMCA still holds that hacking a phone is illegal and if that exemption ever does not get renewed, it becomes "illegal" again. Also, an exemption may not hold up once there is legal precedent that someone like Apple can say is not fundamentally different.
I just dont think that this case will set a such wide precedent like "modify your device is illegal". If a precedent will be set, then i think that it will be set specifically to consoles and what people cant modify. Just look at the cellphone exemption, it was set specifically to cellphones and not to any devices where the same condition may apply. The exemption is very specific and i belive this goes both way, if there is a precedent or an exemption.

squatingyeti said:
Ummm...those people modding their own devices were actually using information provided by others that figured it out and revealed said information, while also supplying modified software. Sound familiar?
I know, but my point is that i dont think that the average joe has much to fear here =) It seems to me that some people (generally speaking, not aimed any anyone specific here) think that this case will turn things upside down and change everything, but is that really the case? Lets say that hacking of devices like consoles becomes illegal (this wont happened due to this case, but just a "what if" senario), does that mean that every single hacker out there will suddently stop their hacking? Personally i dont think so. Just look at piracy for example, several of people have been busted for doing it, but even today there is probably hardly anything that doesnt get pirated. People just do it under an alias or annonymously instead.

So if there is a microscopical small chance that the average joe will be jailed/fined for modify their own device only, and people will still contunie to do and publish these types of hacks annonymously or under an alias, what do people here fear? Honest question, i really wonder about it.

squatingyeti said:
Despite what people continue to want to pretend, the difference between consoles and phones is NOT that the console info became public. The phone info became public too. The reason people were not jailed/fined is because, I doubt anyone would seek a criminal case so you can't be jailed, and no one went the Sony route and filed a civil suit.
Indeed, and that is why i dont see why there would be much different in this PS3 case, since i dont think anyone would take the time to go after single persons for only modifying their own console. As with modifying a cellphone, i also havnt havnt heard of anyone who has been jailed/fined for modifying their own console only.

squatingyeti said:
In the exemption, the LoC stated that unless the exemption was in place, phone hackers would not have a defense against the DMCA. Therefore, had Apple gone the Sony route, the LoC believed a hacker would have a hard time defended what the LoC deems are legitimate uses.
Now that an actual lawsuit is taking place, wouldnt it be a bigger chance that the LoC would also set an exemption to console hacking as well? I mean, if they wanted to protect hackers from lawsuits like this, and seeing that a lawsuit is actual going on right now regarding PS3, wouldnt the LoC rush to put out another expection to protect this hacker as well? And in this way, isnt this lawsuit something positive, especially for those who want that hacking consoles should be added as an exemption to the DMCA?

But all that said, personally i dont think that this case will change much (if anything at all) regarding future hacking of consoles and other similar devices =)

EDIT: I added some text.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
LMAO what a twat!
And oh my Timber...
24311984.png

Iirc there was another epic alt-account mix-up some time ago, does anybody have a link to that one?

I put ppl who alt-LOL at their own posts below corporate nuthuggers, DMCA fanboys, EULA fanboys, defence forcers and general all-purpose trolls.

Top Bottom