• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony HMZ-T1 first Organic EL 3D head mounted display

Pachimari

Well right now I have a HDMI connected between my receiver and the HMZ receiver box, and then the HMZ to the receiver box as well. That makes it possible for me to use my HMZ together with my 5.1 surround sound set-up.

But I just want to be able to let my gf watch tv while using my 5.1 surround sound set-up, while I play my games on the HMZ using its build-in headphones.

And I don't want my PS3 to be directly connected to the HMZ, because that means, I have to connect it to the receiver every time I want to use it with my surround set-up.

Mario007

Gaming community: "We want Occulus Rift!"
Sony: *hands you 3D virtual headset* Ehhhh, close enough...
To be fair Sony got HMZ out as a prototype two years ago at CES and people being intrigued by it get them to start selling it. Thus the high margin and minor difficulties with the product. Honestly, even with the refresh last year, it's still just a prototype.

I did open up mine to mod the lens span sliders for individual adjustments, and boy was it hard. Various people have given the impression that it was a piece of cake, but I spent hours doing it, and I had to put it all back together and open it up again a couple of times before I got it right. But I somehow screwed up something because now one of the lens sliders won't go all the way to the narrowest setting, that doesn't personally affect me though since my eyes are far apart, but it rendered the device unusable for my nephew. I can't be bothered to go through the horror of opening it again and trying to fix that.

It was worth it for me though. I get a better and more stable picture with it now, the corners are still blurry but I'm no longer constantly adjusting the eye settings making compromises between what gives the sharpest image for each of my eyes.

Also bizarrely the setting for my left eye can vary considerably depending on the day, and my level of intoxication or tiredness. Sometimes as much as 3   notches! Which might imply that I have some kind of lazy eye condition, but nobody ever told me that I do :/

I had the best experience with the HMZ playing The Last of Us, and it was the first time that I felt that the device was worth buying (kinda ironic since the game is not 3D). Sadly I'm one of the unlucky ones bitten by the crashing problem with the game (phat PS3), hoping to resume playing when the weather cools down a bit (since its speculated to be an overheating issue).

Mitark

I did open up mine to mod the lens span sliders for individual adjustments, and boy was it hard. Various people have given the impression that it was a piece of cake, but I spent hours doing it, and I had to put it all back together and open it up again a couple of times before I got it right. But I somehow screwed up something because now one of the lens sliders won't go all the way to the narrowest setting, that doesn't personally affect me though since my eyes are far apart, but it rendered the device unusable for my nephew. I can't be bothered to go through the horror of opening it again and trying to fix that.

It was worth it for me though. I get a better and more stable picture with it now, the corners are still blurry but I'm no longer constantly adjusting the eye settings making compromises between what gives the sharpest image for each of my eyes.

Also bizarrely the setting for my left eye can vary considerably depending on the day, and my level of intoxication or tiredness. Sometimes as much as 3   notches! Which might imply that I have some kind of lazy eye condition, but nobody ever told me that I do :/

I had the best experience with the HMZ playing The Last of Us, and it was the first time that I felt that the device was worth buying (kinda ironic since the game is not 3D). Sadly I'm one of the unlucky ones bitten by the crashing problem with the game (phat PS3), hoping to resume playing when the weather cools down a bit (since its speculated to be an overheating issue).

Sorry to bump this thread.

but I'm seriously thinking of disassembling my glasses to remove
the piece that hold the two lens slider together.

what guide did you use to help you? i know your post from last year :D i was looking and found someone with youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtno_wXG_aU

did you remove the piece altogether like the video ? see the following pictures taken, the amount of work to get to the piece is really long and tedious...

jblgMeVncrn5dU.JPG

jbauebVVHM595R.JPG

jEkjxFwzVa2U1.JPG

jBdkzWyRuXOvd.JPG

Sorry to bump this thread.

but I'm seriously thinking of disassembling my glasses to remove
the piece that hold the two lens slider together.

what guide did you use to help you? i know your post from last year :D i was looking and found someone with youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtno_wXG_aU

did you remove the piece altogether like the video ? see the following pictures taken, the amount of work to get to the piece is really long and tedious...

jblgMeVncrn5dU.JPG

jbauebVVHM595R.JPG

jEkjxFwzVa2U1.JPG

jBdkzWyRuXOvd.JPG

Damn where was that video when I needed it?? I swear I searched all of YouTube and the Web and couldn't find any. I don't remember which instructions I followed (if any), and yes I did completely remove the piece (you'd have to, no?), and yes it's a very long and difficult processes, and you could easily screw up. Like I said my lenses no longer move to the narrowest setting, and that could render the device unsuable for someone with a small head.

Mitark

Damn where was that video when I needed it?? I swear I searched all of YouTube and the Web and couldn't find any. I don't remember which instructions I followed (if any), and yes I did completely remove the piece (you'd have to, no?), and yes it's a very long and difficult processes, and you could easily screw up. Like I said my lenses no longer move to the narrowest setting, and that could render the device unsuable for someone with a small head.

ya the video is lifesaver, I'm going to start today or tomorrow.

the problem with these kind of things is not the disassembly process but to get back everything together like before.

Thank you, I appreciate your comment, i will update here when i finish :D

Mitark

bad luck in term of the right tools, i couldn't find the right screwdriver to fit the smaller one, i had to stop for now.

my bad since i was in hurry to fix it to try outlast on the PS4.

Notice there are two size of screws.
jojgdmqjNHoVl.jpg

jgawm0NpUIdKd.JPG

jbbEC1fp1xQQWL.JPG

Oh yeah, I had to borrow the smallest screwdriver from my dad.
I never gave it back

What's special about Outlast? Does it support 3D?

Mitark

Oh yeah, I had to borrow the smallest screwdriver from my dad.
I never gave it back

What's special about Outlast? Does it support 3D?

I just wanted to get the full effect from outlast haha, since it's scary game and i told myself why not, let's see how long i last playing this with the glasses, i only watch movies with them and there is slightly blurry image on the left edge of the screen with my left eye and i can fix it but i will break the right eye adjustment since they move together, for games it's bad since many games using menu and such on the left side, but for movies it's fine i cant watch movies on TV anymore, totally different experience with the glasses even thought i have surround system and big TV but i always back using them for movies.

at first i thought it did support 3d , but the developer confirmed no 3d support but maybe someday
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=99200309&postcount=310

Game Impressions here not helping haha
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=763382

I just wanted to get the full effect from outlast haha, since it's scary game and i told myself why not, let's see how long i last playing this with the glasses, i only watch movies with them and there is slightly blurry image on the left edge of the screen with my left eye and i can fix it but i will break the right eye adjustment since they move together, for games it's bad since many games using menu and such on the left side, but for movies it's fine i cant watch movies on TV anymore, totally different experience with the glasses even thought i have surround system and big TV but i always back using them for movies.

Funny, I mostly use my HMZ in the opposite way. I prefer it for games more than movies, and not all kinds of games, mainly games that allow you free control over the camera (third person or first person) and also racing games. The reason is because the corners of the image are always out of focus for me (or I see double image when I look in the corner, unless I close one eye), and unless I can bring whatever I want to look at in the game to the center of the screen (by re-directing the camera), then I find it an unpleasant experience. So I just keep my eyes looking in the center most of the time and move the viewpoint to points of interest instead of moving my eyes across the screen (in racing games you mostly look in the middle anyway).

In movies the focus of the shot is often off-center (e.g. rule of thirds composition) and you frequently need to dart your eyes across the frame to follow what's going on, and with out-of-focus corners it sucks. Although I still watch 3D movies on it occasionally and I do enjoy it, but there's definitely a compromise for me. While with the right game, it's almost always better than playing a TV or a monitor.

Of course if you're one of the lucky people who sees most of the image in focus, then this doesn't apply to you.

To the people who are saying these are bad for your eyes: is there any scientific reasoning behind that?

I don't see why these would be any worse for your eyes than headphones would be for your ears.

To the people who are saying these are bad for your eyes: is there any scientific reasoning behind that?

I don't see why these would be any worse for your eyes than headphones would be for your ears.

I think headphones are probably worse for your ears.

In my case I wish I would use the HMZ more often because it actually improves my vision. Since I rarely go out of my apartment (typically just once a week to buy groceries), and all the time I'm just staring at screens at a close distance (either my phone or PC monitor). After years of this I've developed a problem where I'm unable to focus on distant objects and I'm losing my depth perception (I close one eye when driving!). And I noticed that when I'm using the HMZ daily (e.g. when I was playing The Last of Us) the problem with my eyes got much better, that's because these glasses simulate a screen that is far away which gives my eyes the much needed practice of focusing on distant objects that I never get otherwise in my day to day life.

I don't think I answered your question, but I am unaware of any known health issues associated with using these, and I doubt there are any (other than what is normally expected from using any kind of technology).

Mitark

HOLY SHIT *Successful operation*

man that took me more than expected, some parts sucked ass due to some wired angle but holy fuck man,it was worth it,
god i have the glasses since 2012 and didn't think about this till now, i can see the edge clear and sharp now with games even better with movies, this is really something.

some pictures of the operation haha

jV2PaO884f5zp.JPG

jbuHPyBuKalkuQ.JPG

ji3Q5P49V6DNg.JPG

this part sucked ass

jb8BYYg2Ig0Em.JPG

jiXrLxI9gmFI5.JPG

jQ37ZbqngqPqS.JPG

jFSsnVv3Wmwl9.JPG

jV1E5CWWp8UPH.JPG

jfZiMSKOy1pH5.JPG

just to take this fucker out

jPTSSH0X0Cmf8.JPG

Congratulations!! Yeah it is a fucking hard procedure but definitely worth it.

I see that you completely detached the headphones. Did you cut the wires and then reconnect them? I didn't do that. My experience messing with thin analog audio wires in the past has taught me not to mess with them again.

beast786

man I stop using my T 1 years ago because of the exact reason. I commend at tour work. now jealous at your success , but I don't have the time to do your magic. congrats

Yeah looks like they seem to have fixed a lot of issues with T1, but I'm still sceptical about how this whole '750 inch screen from 65 feet away' will work. Guess I need to find one first and try it out.

I have been thinking about getting these for a while now, how's the new model compared to the old one?

Checkout AVSFORUM, very long threads there discussing all the differences between the models. T3 sounds good, but much more expensive.

If you want one for games I wouldn't jump now. Wait until the end of the year and you'll probably have better and cheaper options (Occulus, Sony VR)

Mitark

Congratulations!! Yeah it is a fucking hard procedure but definitely worth it.

I see that you completely detached the headphones. Did you cut the wires and then reconnect them? I didn't do that. My experience messing with thin analog audio wires in the past has taught me not to mess with them again.

thank you, ya i tried without removing the headphone wire but didn't work for me, i guess you can do it but the thin wire will make the process uncomfortable,
you see in the following picture you can removing them from the board without cutting anything but the process to put them back is not fun.

jboXXmU3cPkR2V.jpg

man I stop using my T 1 years ago because of the exact reason. I commend at tour work. now jealous at your success , but I don't have the time to do your magic. congrats

thanks, also you can do it :D worth it in my opinion, since you are not using it so why not.

I have been thinking about getting these for a while now, how's the new model compared to the old one?

I wouldn't recommend the T1 now not because it sucks it's great device I'm glad i bought it, better than watching on my TV , but because the comfort level in the T1 is bad,
your nose will be in pain if you are using this more than 1 hour ,to counter this problem I'm using cotton pads to place it on my nose.

PNKqyYQ.jpg

also i agree with Naked Snake T3 is an improvement , big one i say but fucking expensive, if you are not in hurry why not wait and see the new rumored VR Headset from sony if it's real lol.

Pachimari

Guys I need help with my setup.

I have a HDMI going from my AV receiver to HMZ OUT and a HDMI from PS3 directly to HMZ IN.

When I'm watching on the tv sound and picture comes out my surround speakers but when I turn on the HMZ only picture shows up but with NO sound.

What have I done wrong in the setup?

EDIT:
Oh wow, never mind, I forgot there's a volume up and down button on the headset.

Anyway, which picture mode are you using on your HMZs? I have always went with Vibrant but don't know if it ruins anything in the picture.

Top Bottom