• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony NGP game screenshots (Uncharted, Wipeout 2048 & more) [Update 2: Uncharted Gifs]

On the Giant Bomb front page it says they have an Uncharted and NGP hands on at 5pm. What timezone is that?

Something tells me that is gonna be worth watching.

Suzzopher

If Sony handle the Vita like a Walkman style device, as they did with the original PlayStation, they could have a huge hit on their hands.

I've not been this excited about about a system for well over ten years.

MRORANGE

if sony E3 press conference announces MW3 for NGP then it's pretty much NGP for me and 3DS lite later on.

imagine being able to play with ps3 users in the same game, it would be just magical.

faridmon

EatChildren said:
Fact of the matter is the 3DS is way, way over priced. If Sony are willing to give a little, they can probably bring it down close to 3DS levels. Nintendo really need to be pushed to drop the absurd price they've got slapped on their system.
Exactly. The reason why I didn't get a 3DS. That system is way overpriced for what it is. I will pay max £150 for it. And this is the most expensive Handheld I have ever dealt with.

Pazuzu9 said:
On the Giant Bomb front page it says they have an Uncharted and NGP hands on at 5pm. What timezone is that?

Pretty sure the timezones on their schedule (which is new) is locked at pacific time. They haven't been great about keeping to their projected times so far however.

Grayman

Wipeout showing a lot of trackside detail. I think 2048 might put it in the same time period as Pure/Pulse/HD so expecting barrel roll for now!

In any case, I think we can get a good idea of how they'll price it just by whether they announce it at E3. I expect if they are offering a very competitive price, they'll wait till close to launch to announce it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pazuzu9 said:

I thought I read that the embargo is lifted at 12pm EST, 5pm GMT. But that could be totally wrong.

Nirolak said:
Yeah, that's definitely the area a portable device is going to be the most different in.

Polygons take a lot of battery life, so they're usually limited the most.
With that much AA I don't think it's a bad trade though.

Withnail

gofreak said:
I thought I read that the embargo is lifted at 12pm EST, 5pm GMT. But that could be totally wrong.

12pm EST would be 4pm GMT no? Giant Bomb could be using BST but not sure why they would do that. Anyway chances are the embargo is up in around 3-4 hours.

Raist

Banned
JaseC said:
Actually, you are right (and reading the article reignited my memory of it. :p). Seems either Balestra misspoke or the interview was mistranslated.

Just watched the actual interview, Balestra does say that it's a "parallel" story (because the journalist asked him whether it was a remake) and that it takes place between 1 and 2. So no translation issue. Not sure why arne then said it's before UDF.

Not sure what's up with people calling bullshots. We've seen the game run in realtime and I don't see anything in these screens that scream BS.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nirolak said:
Yeah, that's definitely the area a portable device is going to be the most different in.

Polygons take a lot of battery life, so they're usually limited the most.

I remember the Capcom guys said that in their Lost Planet demo, the only difference was the geometry. One mitigating point that was made by the PhyreEngine people at GDC is that you can be super aggressive about LoD on handhelds vs home systems, because the screen size means that objects further away are just relatively that much smaller, so the user won't ever know. So you can lower your avg poly budget on screen at any given time without the user noticing more than you could on a big TV. That might help out, at least in terms of perception.

(That said, as is, I think Hustle Kings looks great :))

Raist said:
Just watched the actual interview, Balestra does say that it's a "parallel" story (because the journalist asked him whether it was a remake) and that it takes place between 1 and 2. So no translation issue. Not sure why arne then said it's before UDF.

Drake looks younger in these screens, so it would make sense for it to take place before the original.

Clunker

Pazuzu9 said:
Nope, I don't think that will ever sound right.

Has to be a fake name.

:(
Listening to the Giant Bombcast helped me with this, as Gerstmann is right: Inane smartphone names have made the Vita seem just fine. If it were the Samsung Vita, we wouldn't be having a conversation at all.

Plus, the Wii was my final inoculation to dumb gaming console names.

Micerider

EatChildren said:
I have a strangely good feeling about this device, and I dont know why. I'm almost willing to bet on a huge line-up of really awesome games at E3, from both first and third parties, as well as a surprisingly competitive price for the system.

Maybe it's just because of the fucking dreadful 3DS launch. Normally I'd be cynical out the wazoo.

I have the same feeling. I'm quite optimistic regarding the 3DS (despite it's sucky launch price, battery and line-up I do enjoy using it and I do expect a lot of great games on it) but the NGP offer a lot more...and surprisingly enough, graphics, as amazing as they are, are almost insignificant.

On a gameplay potential, I see a lot more in the NGP than 3DS :

- 2 analog sticks
- Touch-sensitive back
- Touch-gaming-screen with multi-point sensitivity (could be used quite differently than having a sepparate single-point touch-screen)
- GPS (yes, I could see some gaming use there)

3D does NOT bring any gameplay added-value (although I'd really like to be proven wrong).

Then again, everything will depend on the games, I can surely see myself drooling over Zelda and Mario without ever finding an interesting game on NGP. But as long as we are discussing gameplay potential, the NGP is already head and shoulder above the 3DS.

Pazuzu9 said:

It says 9am for me. I think the code might calculate the local time based on your IP address. In any case, looks like just a little more than 3 hours until their coverage goes live.

Uncharted looks insane. Day one for the NGP, unless it's 400+ (it's Sony after all). I'd love to see the games in motion, hopefully next week's E3 will give us some details, including launch line up confirmation.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Uncharted is the best looking handheld game I have ever seen. (Assuming those are indeed real)

Wipeout looks better in the smaller res screenshots though.

neptunes

Chuck Norris said:
In any case, I think we can get a good idea of how they'll price it just by whether they announce it at E3. I expect if they are offering a very competitive price, they'll wait till close to launch to announce it.
Yeah there is a possibility that they could withold the price at this e3, and wait until a later time (TGS?). There are still more details they could reveal besides the price though.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Jarmel said:
Uncharted has to be bullshots. No way in hell is it going to look better than Uncharted 1 did.
It doesn't. Anyone who has played Uncharted 1 knows this game is a clear cut below it graphically. Textures, effects and probably animation on Uncharted 1 are a lot better.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mr_Brit said:
It doesn't. Anyone who has played Uncharted 1 knows this game is a clear cut below it graphically. Textures, effects and probably animation on Uncharted 1 are a lot better.
"A lot better"? It may not be quite as detailed, but the gap is pretty minimal, which is incredible, and this is without Naughty Dog at the helm.

gbovo

DJmizuhara said:
Ok...let's get this straight. Studio Liverpool still exist, Studio Liverpool just helped out EVO studios with MotorStorm 3 and then went back to their own projects. Stricty speaking the 2 dev teams did merge for a while but then split up again and went on to do their own stuff once Motorstorm had been completed.
Projects?? As in more than one project???

Mr_Brit

Banned
dark10x said:
"A lot better"? It may not be quite as detailed, but the gap is pretty minimal, which is incredible, and this is without Naughty Dog at the helm.
We'll have to disagree on that. Whilst it does look good it doesn't look PS3 good. I think people who are expecting a portable PS3/360 are going to be dissapointed. It's the same situation with PSP, it looked good but couldn't get close to the PS2's best even though it ran at a much lower resolution.

Man

Mr_Brit said:
We'll have to disagree on that. Whilst it does look good it doesn't look PS3 good.
On the PSV screen it will most likely look better actually. No PS3 game currently looks as good as Epic citadel on iPhone 4 imho and Uncharted PSV is a notch above that (when blown up).

Jarmel

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
We'll have to disagree on that. Whilst it does look good it doesn't look PS3 good. I think people who are expecting a portable PS3/360 are going to be dissapointed. It's the same situation with PSP, it looked good but couldn't get close to the PS2's best even though it ran at a much lower resolution.

3_090930152443.jpg

Some of those screenshots look better than the Uncharted 1 screenshot.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Man said:
On the PSV screen it will most likely look better actually. No PS3 game currently looks as good as Epic citadel on iPhone 4 imho and Uncharted PSV is a notch above that (when blown up).
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttt!!!

Metalmurphy said:

Actually the PS3 version does not user polygons for the balls. That is why they are perfectly round with no corners.

"The first thing to point out about the balls in Hustle Kings is that they are round. Very round. They are not highly tessellated meshes closely approximating a sphere, but merely screen-aligned quads, sprites if you like. All the work for making them look like they do is done in the pixel shader. So, although I’m not using ray-tracing per-se, I’m doing a ray-cast per-pixel to determine whether or not each ray intersects the ball."

The programmer wrote a short article here about how it was done.
http://www.voofoostudios.com/?p=33

Ball_Blog_02.jpg

Go_Ly_Dow

Uncharted 1 clearly has better textures.

However the final version of Uncharted Vita running on the smaller Vita screen, will look amazing. I don't think there will be much between them, when you look at them that way.

I can't wait to see what the sequels will look like to all these launch games.

Man said:

Unless you meant PSP rather than PS3 your post makes no sense...

Man

You think that is outrageous? Really?

A PS3 game will 'kill' Epic Citadel if I ran the latter at 720p on a big screen next to a PS3 game.

But that doesn't matter at all in any way because you play Epic Citadel on a tiny screen and it's the sharpest thing ever. It looks fucking gorgeous.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Man said:

What it chris wat uh f?

Acheteedo

Pazuzu9 said:
"Oh man, if they look like that when at a higher resolution and with tons of AA, on the actual screen those will look worse."

Fixed.

Shrinking an image down while maintaining the pixel count will drastically decrease aliasing issues though.

Grayman said:
Wipeout showing a lot of trackside detail. I think 2048 might put it in the same time period as Pure/Pulse/HD so expecting barrel roll for now!
Nope, 2048 actually places it as being significantly earlier than any other game in the series (remember wipEout 2097 is the former earliest one chronologically).

Durante

PuppetMaster said:
Actually the PS3 version does not user polygons for the balls.

"The first thing to point out about the balls in Hustle Kings is that they are round. Very round. They are not highly tessellated meshes closely approximating a sphere, but merely screen-aligned quads, sprites if you like. All the work for making them look like they do is done in the pixel shader. So, although I’m not using ray-tracing per-se, I’m doing a ray-cast per-pixel to determine whether or not each ray intersects the ball."

The programmer wrote a short article here about how it was done.
http://www.voofoostudios.com/?p=33
Heh. I did the same thing in a astronomy simulation visualization application a few years ago. (It was even more important there since there were thousands of spheres) Of course the actual sphere rendering was a lot less advanced.

I wonder why they didn't use the same technique on NGP.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Acheteedo said:
Shrinking an image down while maintaining the pixel count will drastically decrease aliasing issues though.
Nearly all NGP games should run with 4xMSAA anyway as the architecture it uses provides it for free.

Top Bottom