• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony seems to be very careful with prerelease footage/screenshots (Part 2)

sn00zer

Part 1 Here

Doing a follow up to a thread I made about a year ago talking about how Sony seems to have placed some sort of ruling on prerelease footage. Basically it looks like all of Sony's first party games are required to only release vertical slices of alpha/beta footage they think they can reach with the full release. At the time of the last thread The Order and DRIVECLUB had not been released....at this time no footage from Bloodborne has been released from the final version so not going to post comparisons til the first post-"gone gold" trailer has come out.

Id say to pretty much any standard consumer thats pretty damn close, hope Sony keeps this up.

DRIVECLUB
Announcement February 2013Trailer
E3 2013 Trailer
Launch Trailer

E3 2013
original.jpg
driveclub-05.jpg
2362443-2015247988-k8fet.gif

Release

Weather Update

The Order 1886
Announcement June 2013 Trailer
January 2015 Trailer

Announcement

Final Version

FranXico

It's a wise stance to take after the backlash they got for their Killzone 2 CGI "gameplay" antics.

I like it better this way. Molyneuxing your lineup never ends well.

Don't forget TLOU: Remastered. People were freaking out about a million things over that because there was no actual "gameplay" footage shown prior to release.

It ended up looking gorgeous.

demolitio

It's nice when companies learn from their mistakes. They kind of went too far in the other direction with The Order in terms of gameplay footage, but I like how they aren't spoiling anything or giving people a reason to scream downgrade.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm really impressed with how The Order and inFamous in particular were clearly improved in every piece of media shown from reveal to release.

If Uncharted 4 isn't 60, it'll be the only one that won't stack up to prerelease footage and I at least expect fidelity to be very, very close to the E3 trailer.

I too think it's because of Killzone 2. It's much better this way, especially since you don't have to worry about possible downgrades.

Were The Order graphics upgraded ?! On the first screenshot aliasing is very noticeable, while on the last ones released, we cant see any jaggies.

**Eitherway, I think this is a smart move, either release full on CGI trailer, or if you're gonna release "gameplay" footage, keep it realistic.

Were The Order graphics upgraded ?! On the first screenshot aliasing is very noticeable, while on the last ones released, we cant see any jaggies.

As I recall that screenshot was the very first one shown of the game, and capture from a super early build.

It's quite likely their AA solution was not fully in place yet.

sn00zer

Really interested to see how Bloodborne looks when/if the implement AA. Im not usually a stickler for that, but their geometry is really dense compared to other games so it stands out a bit more than usual. Similar thing happened with Castlevania reboot.

JordanN

Banned
What I find weird is how come graphics are always bullshotted but not frame rate?

If Publishers felt insecure about their games, how come every piece of footage isn't released at 60fps?

Three

Microsoft needs to learn how to do the same thing. Look at how Forza 5 went when it was released.

Yep MS and EA were particularly bad this year.
MS pretty much had a bunch of pre-rendered CGI trailers at their conference and announced things 2-3 years away, even prerendered CGI for things not releasing at all.

Raonak

Banned
Yeah, I did notice that, I remember thinking infamous wouldn't look as good as the screenshots, but low and behold, it looked fantastic.

it's a win win all round, because you don't get inflated expectations or backlashes, and it gives a sense of intregity, where if they (WWS) release a screenshot of an upcomming game, you can expect it to look that good. Rather than the ubisoft approach of bullshotting to death to the point that screenshots don't even matter (flashes back to AC liberation PSP shots).

What I find weird is how come graphics are always bullshotted but not frame rate?

If Publishers felt insecure about their games, how come every piece of footage isn't released at 60fps?

It'ss easy to clean up a still image with some extra AA. If your game simply doesn't can't hit 60fps you can't fake that

Yeah, I'd rather be surprised at how nice a game looks rather than the opposite, so I appreciate their approach so far this generation.

ViciousDS

Banned
Infamous Second Son also had little to show for. They had that one trailer at E3 and then no info till after gamescom where they showed off neon powers and super moves......which the game looked even better at launch.

klaushm

Yup, they sure were.

Yeah, Sony and their studios are doing great.

Everytime I see one of their games delayed, I try to think:
"I know what developers go through. They must be refining it, adding content that other games *cof*Evolve*cof* would offer as DLC, and fixing major bugs"

They're doing great in both games and system, buuuuuuut... We are a bunch of greed a-h that never get satisfied :p

gtj1092

**Eitherway, I think this is a smart move, either release full on CGI trailer, or if you're gonna release "gameplay" footage, keep it realistic.

Yep they were. I can still remember the reveal when some tried to claim it was CG and now that its finished and looks even better they have now shifted to its blurry. Game looks amazing. From KZ to SS to Driveclub now with 1886 the games just keep looking better and better.

dr_rus

Oh wow, that's a very noticeable upgrade.

Never knew about this.

That's a different lightning setup. No technical upgrade of any sort is visible in these.

I wish people wound stop calling a different artistic approach an upgrage / downgrade.

Not as bad as some people make out, for me KZ2 is still one of the better looking FPS games of the last generation and the multiplayer was amazing.

Agreed.

The KZ2 concept trailer had a CGI sheen to it that made it not look like a game but the retail version looked stunning and more gritty/believable in comparison.

GG didn't even make that very first trailer haha.

Joni

On one hand, it is a good strategy. MotorStorm and Killzone 2 got so many undeserved graphical complaints. On the other hand, when everyone is lying and you're telling the truth, your games look ugly and people think that you lie because everyone does it. So I don't know if it is helping their perception.

TP-DK

I love this approach, this also makes sure we dont see trailer or pics from games that later get cancelle, like Eight Days, The Getaway etc.

nib95

Banned
I just watched a leaked video (direct feed) from a retail build of The Order 1886 from one of the areas they showed in a press demo earlier. If anything there's been improvements graphically across the board, and it certainly looks and feels more relaistic and atmospheric. Colour grading, post processing, even the eye balls and facial tech.

I feel like with The Order, Driveclub, InFamous and Shadow Fall, there were mostly upgrades graphically comparative to initial demo's and media, which is refreshing given that lately a lot of games have had severe downgrades from press demo's and media, through to the actual final retail build.

Philippo

Yep they were. I can still remember the reveal when some tried to claim it was CG and now that its finished and looks even better they have now shifted to its blurry. Game looks amazing. From KZ to SS to Driveclub now with 1886 the games just keep looking better and better.

And all of this in little more than a year!
Crazy stuff, this gen is definitely going to be a treat.

barit

Maybe but they did bs there way with 1080/60 fiasco.

Can you plz explain? I'm curious to know. And don't say that you mean this one mistake from PS Facebook or whatever social media site it was about Watch_Dogs that got pulled after 24h. This was clearly a fault of the person who put it up without clarifying with Ubisoft first.

Top Bottom