• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Jam 1 director to Justin Lin (2): "Don't Do it". "Doomed". Lebron aint MJ, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

site has a shitty autoplay video, be warned: http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...tor-slams-sequel?utm_campaign=complexmag&utm_

"Don't do it," Pytka told the Hollywood Reporter Thursday. "It's doomed. Michael Jordan was the biggest star on the planet." Pytka, also known for his award-winning commercial work and the classic Michael Jackson video "Dirty Diana," insists there's just no beating the 1996 vibes of the original.

"When we did Space Jam, there was a perfect storm of players and ex-players available—Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing," Pytka said. "They all had a persona that complemented the film. There are none around like that now." Pytka also argued that LeBron has been "eclipsed" by Steph Curry, not to mention that the film won't realistically be anywhere near completion for at least two more years.

well he aint wrong

LeBron has been comfortable and natural on screen so far when making cameos.

It will be fine. The space jam name alone will bring numbers as long as it isn't a complete tire fire.

Tagyhag

It's not going to have the magic of the original that's for sure.

But hey, let them try, would be a nice surprise to be wrong. Could be a Space Jam for this generation.

Mandius

Michael Jordan was a superstar. One of the most famous people on the planet.

Lebron isn't. It will be straight to video time outside of NA.

Salsa

I think I can see what he's saying better by not being from the US

I know the newer players cause I made an effort to cause I like the sport

when Space Jam came out everyone knew who Michael Jordan was and even Bird and Barkley to a lesser extent

no one knows who the hell plays on the NBA now unless they really like basketball

it has a better chance to work internationally if it was shaq or kobe, for example. they're closer in terms of popularity

jbug617

Banned
i don't know man. there is talk of Jr Smith being in the sequel.
http://www.tmz.com/2016/05/08/j-r-smith-lebron-james-space-jam-2/

LeBron James might have familiar company on the set of "Space Jam 2" ... 'cause TMZ Sports has learned producers have already reached out to Cavs star J.R. Smith for a role in the flick.

We spoke to Smith's rep Daniel Hazan ... who says producers contacted him a few weeks ago to see if Smith would be down for a part -- and J.R.'s ears perked up.

"There is mutual interest," Hazan says.

As for the role -- nothing's set in stone, but producers have kicked around the idea of Smith possibly voicing an animated character ... a la "the Monstars" from the original.

It makes sense for producers to go after Bron's teammates -- when Michael Jordan starred in the original "Space Jam," several Bulls teammates like Scottie Pippen and Luc Longley got to come along for the ride.

Hazan says he's hopeful the two sides will be able to work something out soon -- saying at the end of the day, "It all depends on the deal."

I kind of feel the same way. It doesn't seem like a good idea, or like the market is there outside of NBA fans who have children.

I have a feeling it will be bad.

Vestal

Gold Member
Whatever. You have plenty of players right now with a ton of personality, just look at Kawhi Leonard

SCiAdR9.gif

Salsa

I think it even kinda... hurts? the Looney Tunes brand by doing this with such a US-centric star

they aim for international appeal and it just aint there with Lebron tbh

people outside dont know him

massoluk

Banned
Yeah. People that think this Lebron dude is MJ level is drinking heavy cool-aid. I did not and still don't really follow basketball, I KNEW MJ.

It's some good advice, he's right about Curry, and it's just a different time, and I wouldn't be shocked at all if this failed to entice the kiddies and flopped horribly.

It's LeBron who should really be thinking twice about this though, because his ego is large and it's about get real bruised.

bronson

It'll be fine. There's tons of nostalgia for that stupid movie, and the non-MJ players really weren't much of a factor in the original. "Doomed" is a real stretch.

I feel like that could be the plot. All the greats out of action and whatnot. If they work with it right, I think it could make or break the movie.

Salsa

I feel like that could be the plot. All the greats out of action and whatnot. If they work with it right, I think it could make or break the movie.

you think Lebron's gonna make a movie where he's not "one of the greats" and recognizes other people as such?

Salsa

There is no soul to Space Jam.

It's an extended shoe commercial.

I'm not even exaggerating, either. It's literally a movie based on a shoe commercial.

on one hand I get this argument and on the other it's so tryhard it's just boring

like yeah it barely tried, but it's also a movie with the looney tunes acting alongside people in an era where we all loved the looney tunes

it was novel and the soul of the characters was there. it's a product of the time but the love for it is valid in that sense

he really isnt outside the US

like, at all

none of the non-sports people I know would recognize his face

I had seen MJ in a billion posters before Space Jam came out. I'd probably seen toys of him

Neither was MJ at the time. NBA basketball was a much smaller sport beyond the US at the time. It is now the definition of a global sport, and LBJ's teams are constantly on national television. Coupled with the much higher diffusion of information and video through instant media channels (internet) and you have a totally different world.

Bottom line: if the movie is good, it will do well. If it's not, it won't.

Nope. Certainly not MJ level. I can see Steph Curry. Being non-basketball fan, I know him.

LOL.

on one hand I get this argument and on the other it's so tryhard it's just boring

How the is the argument that nothing about Space Jam was "soulful" because it's the sequel to a shoe commercial "tryhard," Salsa? Make that make sense to me.

The "Soul" of nothing was in that movie. It's a soulless movie. That's part of what little charm it has. It has more in common with the Star Wars Holiday Special and Scott Baio hosting the Saturday Morning Supercade Special than it does actual storytelling.

It wasn't novel. By definition, it can't be novel because it's the sequel to a fuckin' shoe commercial.

When your defense of a film includes the phrase "yeah, it barely tried" like - how am I being "tryhard" for pointing out how low the bar was?

you think Lebron's gonna make a movie where he's not "one of the greats" and recognizes other people as such?

Mmm, perhaps. The original did have a big "MJ sucks at baseball" sort of message near the beginning, which was of course only part of the larger "MJ is great at basketball" plot. Like I said, they'd really have to write it well, but I'm not sure I have much faith in it at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom