• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Space Jam 1 director to Justin Lin (2): "Don't Do it". "Doomed". Lebron aint MJ, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acrylic7

The real issue here is that the sountrack will most likely be garbage, especially compared to the original which I'm pretty sure was a freak accident.

Akiraptor

he really isnt outside the US

like, at all

This isn't exactly true. He's one of the most popular athletes in the world according to a few polls I found through a quick google search. Basketball is especially big in China, and it's the fastest growing sport in the world due largely in part to the rapid urbanization of the world.

He's no Michael Jordan in terms of popularity, but he's definitely known well outside the U.S. as far as athletes go.

This is from 2014, but still: http://www.businessinsider.com/cristiano-ronaldo-popular-athletes-2014-12

Anth0ny

take the shawn bradley character from space jam

replace him with yao ming in this one

make back the budget from china alone

easy

also, I'd love if it was self aware enough to actually have lebron join the bad guys in order to win, but then realize the errors of his ways and come back to play with the looney tunes. but i doubt they'd think that hard about the plot of the film, nor would lebron be willing.

I don't even know why Lin is doing this. I don't buy that this is the best project he could get.

I think he just makes dumb choices. Dude was prolly offered a bunch of stuff and decided to do star trek 3. And now space jam 2. Dude will prolly be on gremlins reboot as well if that happens

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Space Jam was lightning in a bottle. Do not try to replicate the process because you will fail. I don't think it would've been succesful if it released today.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I think they have a better chance at being successful if they would try another sport.
Soccer for example.

Monstars steal the talent from Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez (you NEED Suarez biting gag in this), Vardy, Zlatan and Neuer, Bergkamp comes out of retirement to show them whose boss?

Sure why not.

Monstars steal the talent from Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez (you NEED Suarez biting gag in this), Vardy, Zlatan and Neuer, Bergkamp comes out of retirement to show them whose boss?

Sure why not.

Ranieri on the sideline. Dingly-ding dingly-dong.

But Bergkamp? Dude was afraid to get on a plane and you gonna attach him to franchise which has SPACE in it's name? Try Beckham, assembling a team of old vets (Zidane, Davids, Maldini). So basically make a 90minutes Nike or Pepsi commercial.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
DerZuhälter;203473215 said:

But Bergkamp? Dude was afraid to get on a plane and you gonna attach him to franchise which has SPACE in it's name? Try Beckham, assembling a team of old vets (Zidane, Davids, Maldini). So basically make a 90minutes Nike or Pepsi commercial.

It's all in 2D-land so scared of heights is no problem

Yager

Banned
DerZuhälter;203473215 said:

But with Messi on the monsters side, vets can't win.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't really follow basketball much, but I thought the biggest name star in the last decade is Kobe Bryant? I get Lebron is really big too and also has shown some acting chops, but how come Kobe isn't in SJ2 even as a co-star?

MJ was not a good actor, neither where the others. But the thrill of Space Jam was in the soundtrack and the impressive and entertaining Looney Toons cast.

The whole thing with Space Jam was that it was classic sport story about a man who is at the top of his game who looses his edge and has to find his way back to greatness. There are endless sports films with this trope. It works.

If there was to be a space jam 2, Lebron could easily be a good role if he can act decently. It's more about; what story do you want to tell? The level of famous of the actor on screen is not what makes a film great.

If MJs popularity was a 10 i would say LeBron is like a 2.

Curry is the first NBA player since Kobe that people around here talk about. If he keeps it up for another 1-2 years he could eclipse LeBron for sure.

Tubobutts

I don't really follow basketball much, but I thought the biggest name star in the last decade is Kobe Bryant? I get Lebron is really big too and also has shown some acting chops, but how come Kobe isn't in SJ2 even as a co-star?
Kobe is old and now retired.

It wasn't only a perfect storm of NBA players; it was also a time of resurgence for the cast of Looney Tunes. Shows like Tazmania Devil, Tiny Toon Adventures, and Animaniacs were at the top of the TV cartoon food chain in the 90s. Warner Bros. was definitely on something in those days.

Does anyone care about Bugs Bunny and Company any more?

It wasn't only a perfect storm of NBA players; it was also a time of resurgence for the cast of Looney Tunes. Shows like Tazmania Devil, Tiny Toon Adventures, and Animaniacs were at the top of the TV cartoon food chain in the 90s. Warner Bros. was definitely on something in those days.

Does anyone care about Bugs Bunny and Company any more?

The brand is utterly and entirely dead. So no. And thus this is gonna fucking TAAAAAAAANK.

El Topo

He's no Michael Jordan in terms of popularity, but he's definitely known well outside the U.S. as far as athletes go.

That means very little. Jordan was a global icon due to enormous marketing and PR campaigns, LeBron is not. To refer to that article from 2014: When you have less Facebook likes than Mesut Özil that's a bad sign.

cacildo

(This should be a new thread but.....) Has any of those 90s reboots been sucessful, at all?

(I mean, aside from jurassic world?)

Everyday we hear about a new 90s reboot but i cant remember any of em being sucessful

I blame the social media generation for all these reboots.

Instead of reading actual books and drawing some inspiration from there to create films, which has been the case in the past, screenwriters are too busy texting and posting videos of cats, then lamenting at the lack of fresh ideas.

Blastoise

Banned
I blame the social media generation for all these reboots.

Instead of reading actual books and drawing some inspiration from there to create films, which has been the case in the past, screenwriters are too busy texting and posting videos of cats, then lamenting at the lack of fresh ideas.

gud 1 brah

Reboots are happening because everyone who grew up in the 80's and 90's has money to spend. Nostalgia is a powerful drug. So it's an easy cash grab for studios.

gud 1 brah

Reboots are happening because everyone who grew up in the 80's and 90's has money to spend. Nostalgia is a powerful drug. So it's an easy cash grab for studios.

What are you talking about "has money to spend"? We're seeing reboots of previous Rated R movies, too. Those films were originally for the older audience who had money.

Moff

never herad of either lebron or mccurry

everyone knew Michael Jordan. People seem to seriously underestimate how huge he was, especially in countries where people didn't care about basketball.

not saying the movie shouldn't be made, though, there's dumber stuff on direct to dvd

entremet

It also helped that Jordan was really good friends wit Ewing and the others.

Lebron is pretty close with Melo and CP3.

But Jordan had inaugural dream team members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom