• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman Miles Morales Adds RT to 60 FPS mode

Jtibh

Banned
jBN7qmi.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Looking at the game new mode on my 4k TV, this is not 1080p imo . Its still very sharp. Probably closer to 1440p .
Ok, i just played around with all 3 modes and yeah, if its 1080p i cant tell. Usually games like DriveClub and Batman Arkham Knight that never got a pro patch look terrible on my tv with aliasing and shimmering on distant objects but I see very little of that here. It's definitely very clean.

I noticed a distinct reduction in crowd size from the RT fidelity mode but they warn you about that. Between the Performance and Performance RT mode, i can tell that the Performance mode looks a bit better with a more clean presentation. Looks like Performance RT mode has some LOD pop in, but its not distracting.

I havent played any of the story missions that really go all out with reflections coming out of its ass but overall im happy with this mode. Despite the massive reduction in NPC quantity, i dont think many substantial sacrifices were made. Fidelity 30 fps mode feels fucking awful now lol.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The ideal for me are 3 options. Best graphics + resolution, best resolution + performance, best graphics + performance. So people choose they want play.
Maybe they should set up a menu where they let you change individual details of the graphics separately

SlimySnake

Maybe they should set up a menu where they let you change individual details of the graphics separately
this sounds good on paper but as a console gamer playing games on pc, trust me its not. you will never be happy and will constantly be tinkering with graphics settings. it's FOMO at its worst. PC gamers are probably used to it by now but console gamers dont want to know what that feels like.

Last edited:
Holy shit!

It's dynamic 4K! How?! Cerny be praised!

Image reconstruction, it outputs to 4K from a lower resolution.

I believe this is the best we'll see, not "native" 4K and RT at the same time, because the RT on RNDA2 subtracts from the rasterization.

Performance RT NPC count took a hit

As expected.
Tracing less objects takes less time. If they do half the work they can finish in half the time.

Last edited:

xion4360

The option is not showing up for me. Guess you need the latest firmware?

EDIT nvm I didnt have the update installed yet.

Last edited:

th4tguy

Screen
Space
Reflections
Yes, but Screen Space Reflections is not a form of Ray Tracing.
SSR works by reflecting the screen image onto itself using only itself. By reflecting your screen onto itself, you can create the illusion of reflection. It's also why if you can't see on the screen, that part of the scenery won't be in the reflection, whereas in RT, it will be.

SSR is a step up from cube maps but it's still not RT like what is being done in other parts of the game.

Last edited:
The only PS5 game I played through in fidelity mode - they do a much better job of making it feel smooth regardless of the framerate than DeS.

Would y'all recommend 4k 30fps with RT for this game?

Wondering if performance is good enough and the fidelity is more important; or the game flows better at 60fps.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Would y'all recommend 4k 30fps with RT for this game?

Wondering if performance is good enough and the fidelity is more important; or the game flows better at 60fps.

It'll always flow better at 60 but it's the one game out of everything I played that I chose to play through at 30, it looks stunning and it's responsive enough. Demon's Souls was an immediate bump to 60 for me because you want every frame you can get in that thing.

If you want the Miles Morales platinum, you need to zip through the story quickly a second time (which on easy skipping half the cutscenes takes like 3 hours), so I put performance mode on for that just to see what it was like. Buttery smooth and also great looking but you can tell that it loses definition.

Honestly just try both out, but start with 30.

It'll always flow better at 60 but it's the one game out of everything I played that I chose to play through at 30, it looks stunning and it's responsive enough. Demon's Souls was an immediate bump to 60 for me because you want every frame you can get in that thing.

If you want the Miles Morales platinum, you need to zip through the story quickly a second time (which on easy skipping half the cutscenes takes like 3 hours), so I put performance mode on for that just to see what it was like. Buttery smooth and also great looking but you can tell that it loses definition.

Honestly just try both out, but start with 30.

Great input, thank you!

• Strength
Reactions: AV
Insomniac stays winning. Awesome that they added this. I wish every game on XsX and PS5 had these three rendering routes at our disposal.

The best part about this is that due to the nature of dynamic resolution scaling (as I understand it, anyway), when the PS5 Pro comes out, we will be able to go back and play this at close to native 4k with locked 60 AND RT.

As for the mode itself, as it stands now, I played two missions on Performance RT then replayed on standard Performance mode, and I prefer standard Performance mode (non-RT option). I sit pretty close to my TV and I notice the slight loss of clarity (due to lower baseline resolution) of Performance RT mode, as well as the shimmering on distant objects/buildings, and the lower crowd density.

That being said, I repeat that this is awesome to have and Insomniac is one of the best in the business, period.

Spider-Man 2 built for only NG hardware will be amazing.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I, for one, am so glad I waited to play this! Suckas!!

Oh wait, I played it on PS4. Still, this is great news! Watch them even find a way to pump the NPC count back up.

VFXVeteran

Banned
1080p 60 fps makes no sense if they can do native 4k 30 fps.

Should've been 1440p. I have no idea what kind of bottleneck is preventing devs from doing this. Halving the resolution to 1440p should easily get you enough gpu raw power to double the framerate.

I really hope it's closer to 1440p or I'm going to disappointed in cerny.

It's called RT. It's not linear in expense. Many people assume this and it's incorrect.

VFXVeteran

Banned
the fidelity mode has dirty windows, they could have made an effort there.

Added textures on top of other textures increases GPU bandwidth to index not only 1 texture lookup but 2 texture lookups. ALL of this is a BIG factor in your GPU power. I've said this countless times not to underestimate the complexity of a scene. Even just rendering simple assets adds to the cost of the rendering budget.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Dynamic 4k with RT and 60 fps on an open world is something that is basically impossible even on PC outside maybe of a 3090 so it's pretty impressive. PS5 looks extremely powerful.

What is this BS you are saying? There is only 1 severely cut down RT feature in this game and it's not rendering native 4k. You can absolutely get 60FPS with dynamic 4k/RT on a PC.

Last edited:

Thief1987

Added textures on top of other textures increases GPU bandwidth to index not only 1 texture lookup but 2 texture lookups. ALL of this is a BIG factor in your GPU power. I've said this countless times not to underestimate the complexity of a scene. Even just rendering simple assets adds to the cost of the rendering budget.
It was a joke and different places, but thanks for lecture.

SlimySnake

Dynamic 4k with RT and 60 fps on an open world is something that is basically impossible even on PC outside maybe of a 3090 so it's pretty impressive. PS5 looks extremely powerful.
yep. As someone who ran Control at 960p DLSS'd to 1440p on an rtx 2080 just to get to 60 fps, I can say this thing is a beast.

Granted control is doing some insane things with ray tracing with ray traced debris, GI, and shadows all with a far more extensive destruction system than Spiderman, but to spiderman's credit it is doing this in an open world game.

I am very curious to see what Control and Cyberpunk next gen patches look like. John at DF said he had to settle for 30 fps on his fancy 3000 series card just to get the best visuals in cyberpunk with all ray traced settings maxed out, so I wouldnt be surprised if we get 30 fps versions on consoles as well.

Dynamic 4k with RT and 60 fps on an open world is something that is basically impossible even on PC outside maybe of a 3090

This is categorically incorrect.

Also, I am sure we all know what "Dynamic 4k" means, right?

I would bet that when DF breaks down the Performance RT mode we will see the resolution averages out around 1200p or so. Which is still great, and will get even better on a PS5 Pro, or PS6 (whatever is next).

The new mode is great but there is definitely a bit of lost clarity compared to standard Performance mode. Which is to be expected.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
insomniac is in the top 5 gaming studios in the world right now , always reliable , been playing their games since disruptor on ps1 and they r the most consistent studio.

VFXVeteran

Banned
yep. As someone who ran Control at 960p DLSS'd to 1440p on an rtx 2080 just to get to 60 fps, I can say this thing is a beast.

You really want to compare Control which uses every single RT feature out there with a game that uses just 1 and call it a fair comparison?

Granted control is doing some insane things with ray tracing with ray traced debris, GI, and shadows all with a far more extensive destruction system than Spiderman, but to spiderman's credit it is doing this in an open world game.

Spiderman original was never praised for it's general gameplay elements as it's pretty much standard fair. Cans, cars, flying debris, etc.. is seen in most games today that doesn't cost much at all in the graphics pipeline.

Now you add RT reflections and it's suddenly equivalent to all of the other RT computations that Control is doing? Really?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Once again resolution above 1080p proves to be the least impactful option for spending your graphical power.

Seriously. I wish native 4K would just not even be a target for these consoles. In 3D games, I can barely tell the difference between it and 1440p on my 55" display at a reasonable sitting distance. Add in sophisticated upscaling techniques and I would be hard pressed to see any difference, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom